• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Lucina outclass Marth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slushi Simcabi

Smash Cadet
I was never able to master Marth's tip mechanics, so for myself, Lucina will likely surpass Marth in terms of usability.

It frustrated me never being able to get consistent kills with Marth, perhaps Lucina will fix this issue.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
What bugs me about Lucina's reveal is her idle pose, it instantly convinced me she was a clone of Marth.

Those who played Awakening may have noticed it: she rocks her own sword stance.

I actually liked that stance, in fact there is this Brawl Lucina import mod that not only has her use that stance, but gave her a pretty original moveset(Granted this mod was long updated but I was pretty damn impressed by it).

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
If the only difference in between them is the tipper mechanic than i would imagine that marth would be better if the player was a better spacer.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Lucina will be to Marth what Falco is to Fox.

So probably no outclassing, just very similar play.

SpeedBoost

Smash Journeyman
I doubt it.

Lucina is gonna play EXACTLY how Roy played in Melee. And Roy's play style (Smaller Hitbox but on entire sword) is not as good as Marth's (Larger Hitbox but on tip of sword).
The only difference between Lucina and Roy is, Lucina will have no fire effect. Other than that they are similar.
If Marth is nerfed to all hell maybe Lucina might be better, but it would have to be big changes to make her better. I think of it as if they are gonna nerf Marth they are gonna nerf Lucina too.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Lucina is gonna play EXACTLY how Roy played in Melee. And Roy's play style (Smaller Hitbox but on entire sword) is not as good as Marth's (Larger Hitbox but on tip of sword).
The only difference between Lucina and Roy is, Lucina will have no fire effect. Other than that they are similar.
If Marth is nerfed to all hell maybe Lucina might be better, but it would have to be big changes to make her better. I think of it as if they are gonna nerf Marth they are gonna nerf Lucina too.
Roy's sword wasn't balanced; its sweetspot was towards its hilt, which greatly changed his viability and playstyle. Lucina's sword is the only one of the three whose sword is balanced throughout. Potentially very big difference. :p And then there's the lack of fire, though I'm unsure of the degree to which that affected Roy's playstyle. She may be a spiritual successor of sorts to Roy, but I don't think they'll play "EXACTLY" the same way at all. :p

Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it.

..... but Lucina doesn't have the "hitbox".

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I meant to say the sweet spot.
Ahhh... Got you.
Also, I think :4lucina: and :4marth: will have different playstyles, so :4lucina: outclassing :4marth: or vice versa won't matter.
Unless we're talking about who the better waifu is.

Last edited:

Katherine Lowell

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmashSisters
I truly hope Marth bests Lucina, because I don't like the whole situation being "Lucina's the better version of Marth."

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
She does she is described to be VERY similar to Roy. Sakuria did not out right say that but I did my research and saw the way he describes Lucina is how the community describes Roy. Thats where I came to that conclusion.
Imo, there isn't enough gameplay footage of Lucina to even compare her to Roy. Mechanic-wise I know what you mean but we should wait until the Japanese release when we can truly observe how she plays.

Not like I'm going to be around to save the suspense/avoid spoilers. I'd rather learn the game myself.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
She does she is described to be VERY similar to Roy. Sakuria did not out right say that but I did my research and saw the way he describes Lucina is how the community describes Roy. Thats where I came to that conclusion.
Lucina doesn't have Roy's Sour Spot. That alone makes her different than Roy.

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
i am not sure if she'll outclass Marth..
what I'm sure of is that if she has enough similarities with Marth,, and marth turns out to be high tier, then it follows that Lucina will be high tier as well

according to sakurai, besides where the blade is strong and luci being shorter, everything else is the same.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
To those of you worrying about this and those saying "hurr hurr muh easy mode Marth", I show you how it actually will approximately be:

Marth:
-{---------------

Lucina:
-{---------------

Because it's not like Lucina will constantly do the maximum amount of damage Marth can do. That would just be poor design choice.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I think I like the constant 2s not having to worry about spacing and opponents DI so much is good.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
There is very little chance of Lucina outclassing Marth. They have the same speed, aerial landing lag etc.

Marth can combo better with untipped sword hits which can lead to tipped finishers. D1 tweeted out that Marth's fair auto cancels so Fair (L-cancel) tipper FSmash which was a semi-decent combo in PM/Melee is now possible in Sm4sh. Lucina will be what people are describing her as; an easy to use Marth for people learning to use Marth. I really don't see people using her over Marth in high level play. Lucina actually will lose out on many of Marth's comboes due to her not having a sour spot. All of my knowledge is off PM/Melee but without sourspot UAir, juggling certain characters will be much harder and without tipper UAir, juggling spacies and fast fallers will be harder.

Marth will likely outclass Lucina in combo ability and k.o potential. People saying Lucina will be the rush down version of Marth are somewhat correct but not really. Lucina will still be at a disadvantage cqc because most of Marth's (and by extension Lucina's) moves have terrible starting frames which means characters like Fox, Little Mac, Shiek and other fast characters can dominate her. Marth's reward for proper spacing will trump Lucina's advantage of balanced damage. At least in higher levels of play.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
There is very little chance of Lucina outclassing Marth. They have the same speed, aerial landing lag etc.

Marth can combo better with untipped sword hits which can lead to tipped finishers. D1 tweeted out that Marth's fair auto cancels so Fair (L-cancel) tipper FSmash which was a semi-decent combo in PM/Melee is now possible in Sm4sh. Lucina will be what people are describing her as; an easy to use Marth for people learning to use Marth. I really don't see people using her over Marth in high level play. Lucina actually will lose out on many of Marth's comboes due to her not having a sour spot. All of my knowledge is off PM/Melee but without sourspot UAir, juggling certain characters will be much harder and without tipper UAir, juggling spacies and fast fallers will be harder.

Marth will likely outclass Lucina in combo ability and k.o potential. People saying Lucina will be the rush down version of Marth are somewhat correct but not really. Lucina will still be at a disadvantage cqc because most of Marth's (and by extension Lucina's) moves have terrible starting frames which means characters like Fox, Little Mac, Shiek and other fast characters can dominate her. Marth's reward for proper spacing will trump Lucina's advantage of balanced damage. At least in higher levels of play.
This being the likely case, and with SSB4 Marth hit with speed nerfs, Lucina might just be one of the weaker/weakest of the FE reps. What would be her strengths? Marth was legit intimidating because of his near-instaneous fsmash, air game, and how fluid his air to ground combos were, which was the perks of his speed.

I'm a little disappointed.

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Well, thanks for Zipzo's report in the japanese demo we know that Marth's range is diminished and because of that spacing is more difficult... In consequence, Lucina's lack of tipper could help her to rack more damage...

Of course, the change of range always need practice and without a doubt the Marth mains will adjust and consistently do tippers, for Lucina mains that period of adjustment won't exist...

Before I forgot, Marth's grabbing is improved and we need to see how is Lucina in that particular category...

Aw, it's so sad that Lucina wasn't playable in the demo u.u

Last edited:

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah i really hope that Lucina inherited Marth's grab range. that will be bonkers.

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
oh man after hearing about what's gen happening to Marth,, i hope Lucina will have higher ko potential

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Be careful with double posts @ Phantom High Phantom High , it's better to edit the first one...

On topic, I don't think that Lucina has more KO Potential (remember, no tippers) but a better option to damage consistently... In the leaked footage (the one with Lucy, Shulk, Ganondorf and Charizard) her FSmash doesn't kill immediatly until +70% iirc... It was SmashRun though, the altered stats has influence and a correct analysis is very difficult...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
True. Damn multiple timelines making it confusing. I swear the sequel better a save transfer system.
What, like Radiant Dawn did? I dunno, I didn't really like that system. The Bond Supports were too minimal of a reward for the relationships you built up before, and the +2 to stats you maxed is a kind of pitiful reward for the amount of work you really had to put in to max a lot of the stats for various characters. That would be compounded by the systems in Awakening. I mean, if I max every character's stats with Limit Breaker, I'd better get a lot more than a lousy +2 to all stats in the next game. And if I hook up Stahl and Cordelia, they'd better get some actual husband and wife dialogue.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
What, like Radiant Dawn did? I dunno, I didn't really like that system. The Bond Supports were too minimal of a reward for the relationships you built up before, and the +2 to stats you maxed is a kind of pitiful reward for the amount of work you really had to put in to max a lot of the stats for various characters. That would be compounded by the systems in Awakening. I mean, if I max every character's stats with Limit Breaker, I'd better get a lot more than a lousy +2 to all stats in the next game. And if I hook up Stahl and Cordelia, they'd better get some actual husband and wife dialogue.
I just want the pairings to be transferred. Anything else is bonus to me, really.

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
Stahl + Cordelia really bugged me too >.>

Playing a duet is fine and all, but I would prefer some proper love related dialogue where it is implied that one of them love each other before the S support. It's a shame because Stahl x Cordelia was a good pair and one of the best Severa (not counting MU)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom