• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will either Snake's Codec OR Palutena's Guidance come back in SSBU

Would you like to see either Snake's Codec Or Palutena's Guidance Come back, or something Else?!

• Total voters

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I know it's been explicitly expressed in the polls and comments, but I want both of them to come back. These little Easter eggs were nice to see in action. If they're both coming back, I would also want them to cross reference each other somehow. I'm curious on what the codec for Palutena will be. For the same reason, I am curious on what the guidance for Snake will be.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I'd like to see both return especially Palutena's Guidances because the DLC characters shared a generic no information available dialogue.

I've never played Metal Gear. I heard that the Colonel's VA passed away and I also heard something about Otacon's. Couldn't they reuse the dialogue from Brawl and then for the new dialogue for the SSB4 and Ultimate characters, have Snake converse with others?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'd be down for either one of them making a return. If I had to choose between them though it's gotta be Snake's Codecs. However, I'm open to something completely new. I like the idea of Cranky Kong commenting on the other fighters, or maybe something Star Fox related with the Star Fox team talking about the fighters. I'm sure there's plenty of other ideas to explore outside of what's been done before.

Hydra of Chaos

Smash Apprentice
I'd be down for either one of them making a return. If I had to choose between them though it's gotta be Snake's Codecs. However, I'm open to something completely new. I like the idea of Cranky Kong commenting on the other fighters, or maybe something Star Fox related with the Star Fox team talking about the fighters. I'm sure there's plenty of other ideas to explore outside of what's been done before.
The Star Fox thing was already done more or less: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Star_Fox_Smash_Taunt
not exactly, but there was something similiar

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd love to see both Snake's Codecs and Palutena's Guidance return, though it would be a lot of work, as many conversations couldn't be reused verbatim for various reasons (Bowser's gotten a lot faster, Chrom is now playable, the game isn't called "Brawl", etc.).

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Snake's Codecs would probably be a bother to get the voice talent back for, especially in this day and age. Sure, I can see them recycling the Brawl ones, but for the new fighters...Hm. I'm confident we'll at least get ol' Campbell's VA back as he is still going strong.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Throw them both out, give us Cranky's Criticisms instead!

Joking, keep both, but add Cranky's Criticisms as well. Because the world and my soul demands it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Throw them both out, give us Cranky's Criticisms instead!

Joking, keep both, but add Cranky's Criticisms as well. Because the world and my soul demands it.
Was he fully voice acted in his own games?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Was he fully voice acted in his own games?
No. No, he was not.

I do like the "Squid Sisters commentary" idea, but since the Squid Sisters are an Assist Trophy, it would get awkward if they got summoned in the middle of an announcement; therefore, I think Off The Hook would be a more suitable Greek chorus.

osby

Smash Obsessed
No. No, he was not.

I do like the "Squid Sisters commentary" idea, but since the Squid Sisters are an Assist Trophy, it would get awkward if they got summoned in the middle of an announcement; therefore, I think Off The Hook would be a more suitable Greek chorus.
As much as I love Off the Hook, it makes more sense to give this job to characters with comprehensible voice acting.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
the warioware characters had full voice acting in the latest installment, but i don't see a codec/guidance thing happening with them since warioware gold only came out so recently
depends if warioware gold was being thought up while ssbu's project plan was being settled, though :ohwell:

Magical Tuesday

Smash Rookie
That's still a lot of voice-over for characters that aren't already covered, assuming they recycle whatever they can. But I could see them going that extra mile. They made a big deal about spending a whole year on Orbital Gate Assault, so it's really weird that it's not in Ultimate. I bet they're going to put in pilot conversations for Star Wolf or something and put it in as DLC.

Both are obviously gonna come back.

Sakurai loves his special little ship (:ultpit:x:ultpalutena:)
Palutena is basically Pit's mom.

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Palutena is basically Pit's mom.
yeah, no offense but i always found people who ship pit and palutena together a bit weird, i dunno :dizzy:
i always thought the dynamic between pit and palutena pretty clear in the kid icarus games, even if palutena teases and makes fun of pit on several occasions
headcanons and ships are fine to have, i won't judge though

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
My money's on the Smash Team simply recycling the Snake Codecs from Brawl for all of the Brawl veterans while also making new ones for the characters that didn't already have them. It would still require resources, but it would take them a lot less time regardless.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My money's on the Smash Team simply recycling the Snake Codecs from Brawl for all of the Brawl veterans while also making new ones for the characters that didn't already have them. It would still require resources, but it would take them a lot less time regardless.
Yeah, but some of the Brawl veterans' Codecs can't be recycled. A couple of them refer to Brawl directly, Bowser's calls him slow, Link's mentions his Clawshot, and the codecs for Sheik and Zero Suit Samus refer to them transforming.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, but some of the Brawl veterans' Codecs can't be recycled. A couple of them refer to Brawl directly, Bowser's calls him slow, Link's mentions his Clawshot, and the codecs for Sheik and Zero Suit Samus refer to them transforming.
Not only that, but some character also have drastic or some sort of design change(s) to them

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Redoing the voice work for Snake's Codecs and/or Palutena's Guidance could work, and I do like the idea of Cranky Kong giving hilariously bad info on the characters. However, failing those options...

Maybe BOTW Zelda could give Link pointers on the various fighters?
A Fire Emblem Talk Show hosted by Anna where she interviews the roster?
Admiral Dane (AND NO ONE ELSE) debriefing Samus on who she's fighting?
Sonic's friends riffing on the other smashers?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, this is a bad sign so far.

In a panel at FanExpo Boston 2018, David Hayter said that Nintendo hasn’t approached him to record more codecs for Smash Ultimate yet, but he said he’d love to do so for all the characters. Hope it all turns out, Dave.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The voice actor for snake said he was never hired to make extra codex conversations. Either we're stuck iwth the ones from Brawl, we don't have codex at all, or he's not giving anything up (nondisclosure agreement).

Top Bottom