• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

sync

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been said already, but Brawl sold 500, 000 copies in the first day of sales in Japan.

I think Nintendo will do alright.

spindash

Smash Ace
Brawl will outsell Halo 3. 100% positive of that. The soundtrack alone is enough to grant this game a legendary status and how quickly it will sell.

Cropcircles

Smash Rookie
Halo 3 Is Trash Compared To Brawl.
i wonder what went down in your brain the second you actually decided to post an opinion like that which seems to be based on... well, nothing.
hopefully there's some sort of irony that i'm not getting... most likely not.

all the good stuff has been said over and over through 60 pages, so i call this a free post.
yay

Gojithefox

Smash Cadet
Nintendo does not need to spend money to hype brawl, take us for example we hype it and we have new people joining every day making almost 90k users, that most likely will buy brawl. The DOJO!! is another form of hyping brawl, the other websites like gametrailers and ign also help to hype it. Hype does not need to be the main source of publicising the game, like in jp, the US will have brawl comercials and then people who didn't know will be like ''OMG another smash bros.?!! How come i didn't know, i want it, I WANT IT NOW!!''There is so many different ways to hype the game and we are part of most of them like BC and smashboards
Yes, fans of Brawl hype the game; however, that does *not* inform those who don't go to IGN or the Dojo. How did Halo 3 sell so much? People who had never played video games before picked it up because there was so much hype about it. TV, Radio, drinks, it was everywhere, and people were interested in it. Brawl will have a good release, but it won't have the fanfaire that was involved with Halo 3, and that is why it will not initially sell as many copies.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the Gran Turismo series out sells the Halo series... Might as well ask if Brawl will out sell Gran Turismo.

Question: Why is this thread still going?

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 is one of the most amazing games I have ever seen and I am expecting Brawl to be also. Brawl will definitely not outsell Halo though. Do you remember all of the Halo advertisement that went on? Brawl doesn't have that sort of unavoidable hype. Brawl hype isn't in your face like Halo was. If you want hype for Brawl you have to look a little harder. Halo's advertisement was much more well done than SSBB's advertisement is. It doesn't have anything to do with how good the games are, both are and will be amazing, it is all in the advertising.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
Exactly!

Halo 3 only made a lot of cash due to the extra merchandise.
The actual amount of copies sold didn't break any record.

And by the way, no game is gonna come close to the sales of WoW and it's expansions. They have friggin 10 million people playing daily, and most of them will get the new expansion on the day it comes out.

Games like Smash and Halo can only compete for a second place, because the first place is way out of their league.

I just think it's rather funny to see one single game completely overshadowing all other "huge titles". :laugh:
umm stop comparing WoW to smash or halo a "computer" is'nt a videogame console,and 99.9% of WoW player's have no life :dizzy:
anywayz PEOPLE BRAWL IS GOING TO DEMOLISH HALO 3 IT'S GONNA SELL WORLD WIDE AND THE SHEER NUMBER OF WII'S SOLD COMPARED TO 360'S IS GOOD ENOUGH REASON TO BELEIVE SO,almost 100% of wii owner's will buy brawl,just like almost 100% of 360 owner's bought H3,and why the hell would nintendo advertise brawl when there release date in the U.S. is more than a month away

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
I'm not reading another 60-something pages, but just to add a little fuel to the flames, here:

I don't know or care if Brawl will outsell Halo. Halo is decent, albeit a bit mindless FPS fun, and nobody here has reason to hate. Granted, it does move a little on the weight of it's own hype - someone pointed out correctly that there are massively better FPS games available.

However, the same could be said on Brawl moving with the flow of Nintendo fanboys. If you own a Wii, and like Nintendo enough to have a keychain, t-shirt or desk toy of Mario, then you know what Brawl is and it's already reserved. Kind of a given.

What will be the difference maker, sales-wise, is the Asian market. Right now, I could train over to Taipei, and there are four things selling - cash down, no questions asked, stores running out - in about this order:

- Devil May Cry 4 (PS3 Version)
- WiiFit (although I can't for the life of me see why - $100 for a god****ed balance board)
- Dairontou Smash Bros. X
- PSP (Which is oddly popular here these days... some kind of multiplayer RPG came out, it seems? Lots of groups of your Final Fantasy fanboy looking Asian dudes sitting together playing.)

Whether or not Nintendo has their heads up their ***** as far as marketing in America, people know about it here.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 Is Trash Compared To Brawl.
wow, don't get ahead of yourself there, halo is.... undescribable (Sorry if i mispelled) Halo can't suck because that would make the millions of people who bought it wrong, and their not wrong halo is a great game worth buying but so is brawl. Just please don't send yourself to hell like that again, and answer the question

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
Smash Brawl will be awesome. But Halo was too. Halo has more of a fanbase than Smash... so I doubt it.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_selling_games#Top_20_console_games_of_all_time

does anyone see EITHER smash bros games OR halo games on that list?

no.

these aren't the biggest fish it the sea guys. But in all honesty, I think that Halo 3 will still be the fastest selling (because all the fanboys go out and buy it, and then already it's being outsold buy other 360 games and wii games on a month to month basis) and Brawl will sell slower but accumulate a greater total, that's my prediction anyways.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_selling_games#Top_20_console_games_of_all_time

does anyone see EITHER smash bros games OR halo games on that list?

no.

these aren't the biggest fish it the sea guys. But in all honesty, I think that Halo 3 will still be the fastest selling (because all the fanboys go out and buy it, and then already it's being outsold buy other 360 games and wii games on a month to month basis) and Brawl will sell slower but accumulate a greater total, that's my prediction anyways.
WTF???????????????????

Halo and Smash were all over that page!!!!!!

Read the info next time before you post a link. WOW

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
The most sold game ever is Super Mario bros... I didn't know that

This is actually a very pointless argument when you get right down to it
Think about it...
2 different genres
2 different consoles
2 different companies
2 different forms of hype
2 different appeals
2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES

And an entire list of video games which have outsold Halo 3 and beyond!!!
Is Halo really the best figure to compare it to?

DeltaWolf

Smash Apprentice
I think the fact that it's only less then 200,000 copies from million answers your question.

Halo has done up to maybe 8 mil in like a Year and a half. Smash Bros sold almost 1 mil in 1 country in 1 week. That's even with shortages!

NGamer92

Smash Rookie
In total all around the world the Wii is the best selling system.
Also the sells for the first SSB were around 4.89 million.
The sells for SSBM were around 6 million.
Compare the features of each game with SSBB and Brawl will sell WAY MORE COPIES.

Halo 3 has sold around 8.1 million so far

But, in the end I'm not sure because both are awsome games......

Also as Nintendos fanbase seems to be growing faster it's possible Brawl could do better.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
The most sold game ever is Super Mario bros... I didn't know that

This is actually a very pointless argument when you get right down to it
Think about it...
2 different genres
2 different consoles
2 different companies
2 different forms of hype
2 different appeals
2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES

And an entire list of video games which have outsold Halo 3 and beyond!!!
Is Halo really the best figure to compare it to?
Did you read the first page? Didn't I say i'm not comparing any of that, just their SALES!!!

Darkslash

Smash Master
Well Nintendo has this History where Games will sell low on the first day and then 1 year later their sales are around 30 mil copies or so. Microsoft has a history of having fast selling games but then people become bored of them 1 year later. Nintendo has a history of games being played 10 years after they were released. Hell I'm still playing Rouge Squadron On my Nintendo 64. And what Mario Bros 3( i think) Casually on my NES(well it works for 15 minutes then freezes :( lol ). And I still play Donkey Kong Country on my GAME BOY(well Some times). I dunno but the fun factor is what keeps games alive

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Well Nintendo has this History where Games will sell low on the first day and then 1 year later their sales are around 30 mil copies or so. Microsoft has a history of having fast selling games but then people become bored of them 1 year later. Nintendo has a history of games being played 10 years after they were released. Hell I'm still playing Rouge Squadron On my Nintendo 64. And what Mario Bros 3( i think) Casually on my NES(well it works for 15 minutes then freezes :( lol ). And I still play Donkey Kong Country on my GAME BOY(well Some times). I dunno but the fun factor is what keeps games alive
Hey, me and my friends still play Super Smash Bros. 64! It's kind of wierd to play an old school game like that but I love it.

Heavenly Spoon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeavenlySpoon
Smash Brawl will be awesome. But Halo was too. Halo has more of a fanbase than Smash... so I doubt it.
Yeah, because the smash series are limited to the smash fanbase, no way are the mario fanbase, the Pokémon fanbase, then kirby fanbase, the metroid fanbase, the starfox fanbase, and so on interested in a game like Brawl...

No, really, I think those fanbases add up to a pretty decent number, don't forget that Diamond and Pearl brought a whole new group of Pokékids to the scene, as did SMG, who probably all got a Wii for Christmas and who will without doubt see their favourite character on the cover of Brawl whilst going to the store with their mommy. I know, pretty sad how our sales depend on the little toddlers, but that's how it is, face it.

Swil

Smash Apprentice
I personally think Brawl has a good chance of outselling Halo 3. I mean from looking at the sells of previous smash and halo games, the numbers are not that far apart to make a clear cut that Halo is just completely dominate over smash, and considering that Brawl has more hype then both previous smash games had multiplied by 10, I really don't see how Brawl couldn't have a fighting chance.

I don't think Brawl will be setting 1 day sell records like Halo 3 did, but I think it has potential to win in overall sales, and if wii continues to sell like crazy and stay above 360, that just means its all the more possible.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Halo did not sell 8.1 million.
You might want to check this site out then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3

Or if you don't want to:

Wikipedia; said:
Halo 3 is a first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie Studios exclusively for the Xbox 360. The game is the third title in the Halo series and concludes the story arc that began in Halo: Combat Evolved and continued in Halo 2.[8]

The game was released on September 25, 2007 in Australia, Brazil, India, New Zealand, North America, and Singapore;September 26, 2007 in Europe; and September 27, 2007 in Japan. On the day before its official release, 4.2 million units of Halo 3 were in retail outlets.Halo 3 holds the record for the highest grossing opening day in entertainment history, bringing in US$170 million in its first 24 hours, going on to gross US$300 million in its first week. More than one million people played Halo 3 on Xbox Live in the first twenty hours. As of January 3, 2008, Halo 3 has sold 8.1 million copies, and is the best-selling video game of 2007 in the U.S.

That's all I will do. But at this rate, Smash Bros. will beat it's sell though.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
I hope it outsells that atrocity. Halo 1 was great for its time. Halo 2 and 3 sucked.

Those are shipped to retail, not sold through. It's sold roughly 4.5, MAYBE 5 million copies in America, and is pretty much of no relevance anywhere else in the world. There's no way it's sold more than 3 million in the rest of the world.

Bullet

Smash Cadet
I think Brawl will outsell Halo 3 over time. It's not going to beat it's Launch day sales record though.
I dont know about that, if Brawl has games to sell then what Halo 3 does, it may rip Halo 3 launch day sales to pieces.

Anyone know what the Halo 3 launch sales was?

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i dont know the exact numbers but it does not matter. Brawl has not recieved less then a perfect review on any magazine, including Famitsu and Nintendo Power. Brawl is the better game, period.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
No doubt that so far Brawl is more Epic than Halo 3 right when it started to sell. When every Country has it, it will sell more than Halo 3. Remember, Smash is known Worldwide more than Halo.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
Worldwide, there's a pretty good possibility. In the US alone (i.e. where a great majority of Halo buyers come from), probably not.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Brawl DOES have a chance. And I'm pretty sure Brawl WILL outsell Halo 3 worldwide.

If Nintendo promoted Brawl like it was the BEST game ever made from them, I'm pretty sure the sales will go up even more. But too bad they didn't.

Although they hosted the tournaments for tmrw, only insiders like us know about it. So, Brawl would've done something even crazier.

BentoBox

Smash Master
It won't. This isn't just about the smash vs halo3 but rather wii vs 360. With Nintendo's new mindset when designing games, it seems like the Wii doesn't have that much catering to the type of players that would buy brawl in the first place. I myself do not know of many titles that I'd get along side of brawl except for the few age old franchises (mario, metroid, zzz, etc). Whereas someone buying H3 has a lot of similar options if into fast-paced action games of the like. And don't even bring up the fact that the Wii outsells the 360 because even my mom knows that Nintendo getting grannies to play tennis isn't going to change ****.

Top Bottom