• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Brawl outsell Halo 3 ?

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Hmmm... ive been doing some thinking and i now think brawl will outsell halo 3 but only because of the amount of sales it will do in japan i think brawl selling more is inevitable.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Though i hate to admit it, brawl will appeal to children just as much as adults. Theres a HUUUUUGE smash community but alot of people forget the 13 year old kid who sees mario fighting link in the commercial and thinks "that looks cool"

For this reason along with many others, brawl will outsell halo 3.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
1. Go to Gamestop
2. Go to the Xbox360 section
3. Go count how many used copy of Halo 3 is on the shelf...

Last time I was in my Gamestop, I counted roughly 10-15 Halo 3 on shelf marked as "Used", both special and non-special edition...

Now we basically have to do the same with Brawl, just wait a couple months after the release and we can compare which one has game value success...

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Though i hate to admit it, brawl will appeal to children just as much as adults. Theres a HUUUUUGE smash community but alot of people forget the 13 year old kid who sees mario fighting link in the commercial and thinks "that looks cool"

For this reason along with many others, brawl will outsell halo 3.
thats true melee came out 2001/2002 and if you were 13 years old then you'll be twenty now and probably end up wanting to get brawl.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
It will in the long run but for right now, it seems hard to believe since Microsoft was ready with all of its preorders, as well as its two other limited edition packages. For Brawl, there is only one way it will come. So yeah, and pre-orders look like they are out too now so due to the limitations in how much was produced, Brawl won't beat Halo 3. However, I would be so ecstatic if it did. Take that you ****ing Microsoft, buying out companies for selfish gain. Where's the love? Apparently on the battlefield getting blasted by weirdos who like shooting down aliens. Jeez!!

BackWithABlade

Smash Rookie
Well it won't sell more then H3 on opening day, that's for sure. And if it does you can punch me in the face and call me Apple.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
yeah it will not sell more on opening day, but over the long haul i believe it will, not because more people have a wii but because i think it appeals to more people, and obviously much more fun to play. this is one of the few games i can say at least for myself I am getting at midnight on night of release..I never thought I would be doing this for a game of any kind.

Remember, Melee sold so well because of the lack of quality GameCube software. It still needs to be seen that Brawl will be sold as an "in addition to" instead of an "instead of" like Melee was, since Wii has so much more quality software.

Gamer_Matt

Smash Cadet
i personally think halo will sell more games
halo has better online and more people are into blood and gore and mature video games
people judge brawl on the fact that it has pokemon and kid based characters in it
but it will be a better game then halo..i bet my money on it

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Remember, Melee sold so well because of the lack of quality GameCube software. It still needs to be seen that Brawl will be sold as an "in addition to" instead of an "instead of" like Melee was, since Wii has so much more quality software.
I didn't even think of that.

But I was one of the people that had played SSB64 every day up until Melee came out.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Brawl will never climb over Halo. Don't be ridiculous.

Your blatantly biased opinions that Brawl is a better game don't mean anything. People will still buy Halo 3, and people will continue buying and playing Halo 3, your opinions on it be ****ed. Brawl doesn't have the same hype or appeal, and it's silly to think the only reason people bought Halo 3 was because of fanboyism.

Most of Brawl's fanbase are Nintendo fanboys, which makes perfect sense. It's a game that celebrates Nintendo history. Halo fanboys, people who enjoy Halo, and people who have heard of Halo far, far outnumber the people that can say the same of Brawl.
Not to say fanboyism didn't have a part of it but you have to admit it gets a bit much when you have people dressed as MC getting a copy of Halo 3.
It was mostly hype and the fact that halo 3 used the mommentum of the prevous halos as well as hype that enable d it to sell out so quickly.

In anycase while Halo has sold out quite quickly in one day, the that doesn't necessarily mean it is going to have more copies sold than Brawl.
Unlike Brawl I feel Halo 3 does not have that lasting appeal and if you don't have Xbox live it can be a bit of a turn off since the campaign isn't all its cracked up to be.

Will Brawl sell out more than Halo 3 on the first day? Not likely. Will it sell more than Halo 3 in the long run, possibly.

HeroAnri

Smash Cadet
NC, Winston Salem -- Friend Code # 2148-7811-3109
am i the only guy that thinks halo is a bad game overall? the thing didnt change since probably the first Halo...halo 2 and 3 are like the same thing...
for a first person shooter, i can name 4 games on top of my head that top halo 3 in every aspect...
popularity contests never proved quality

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i like halo 3, never got into the first two..it is a great for its multi player but i just dont see what is so great about the 1P story.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
ConeZone: nothing. Absolutely nothing. People only play it so they can say that they beat it to everyone else. I heard as much from someone that's the biggest Halo fanboy I know, who also happens to agree that Brawl is a far greater game than Halo games will likely ever be.

In any case, yeah, Halo, most overrated FPS game ever, no reason for it to be as popular as it is, I'm sure you've all heard at least a dozen people with this exact opinion over the course of 73 pages. I used to hate it just because of being overrated, but now that all my friends started playing it too, almost exclusively, I've started to just hate it as a game. It's utterly broken; everyone dies really fast, but moves as if the atmosphere of whatever planet they live on is roughly the consistency of gravy.

Add to that the fact that there is very little lasting damage you can actually deal to someone (sacrificing your life to damage someone who's ambushed you is utterly pointless, as you'll likely fail to even totally deplete his shields) you've just got a recipe for disaster, IMO. I just give up if I get shot by someone from close range, as there's just no point at all to fighting then. It's a CONSOLE FPS, for ****'s sake, that should be bad enough, but NOOOOO, Bungie had to throw a thoroughly ******** game engine on top of it all.

Err... wow, that turned into an actual rant. Point is, I think Brawl will definitely sell more copies than Halo. Everything I would have pointed out has already been said, but I'd just like to throw in that I'll probably be buying at least 4 copies of the game, because having it sit there, spinning in my Wii ALL THE TIME is bound to eventually destroy the disc's playability - I had to buy 3 copies of Melee, as well.

All said, I'll be thoroughly disappointed in humanity (moreso than I already am) if Brawl doesn't sell more than Halo, as you can hardly argue that the Smash Bros. series in general added far more to the video game industry in general than any of the Halo games. Nobody will remember Halo 20 years in the future for anything gameplay related; they'll remember it because of all the hype and advertisement based on it. Meanwhile, Smash Bros. will be remembered for its quirky gameplay style, where you have to knock your opponent off the edge of the screen to win, rather than just stab/shoot/punch them enough times to fully deplete their health. That should count for something, if you ask me.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
ConeZone: nothing. Absolutely nothing. People only play it so they can say that they beat it to everyone else. I heard as much from someone that's the biggest Halo fanboy I know, who also happens to agree that Brawl is a far greater game than Halo games will likely ever be.

In any case, yeah, Halo, most overrated FPS game ever, no reason for it to be as popular as it is, I'm sure you've all heard at least a dozen people with this exact opinion over the course of 73 pages. I used to hate it just because of being overrated, but now that all my friends started playing it too, almost exclusively, I've started to just hate it as a game. It's utterly broken; everyone dies really fast, but moves as if the atmosphere of whatever planet they live on is roughly the consistency of gravy.

Add to that the fact that there is very little lasting damage you can actually deal to someone (sacrificing your life to damage someone who's ambushed you is utterly pointless, as you'll likely fail to even totally deplete his shields) you've just got a recipe for disaster, IMO. I just give up if I get shot by someone from close range, as there's just no point at all to fighting then. It's a CONSOLE FPS, for ****'s sake, that should be bad enough, but NOOOOO, Bungie had to throw a thoroughly ******** game engine on top of it all.

Err... wow, that turned into an actual rant. Point is, I think Brawl will definitely sell more copies than Halo. Everything I would have pointed out has already been said, but I'd just like to throw in that I'll probably be buying at least 4 copies of the game, because having it sit there, spinning in my Wii ALL THE TIME is bound to eventually destroy the disc's playability - I had to buy 3 copies of Melee, as well.

All said, I'll be thoroughly disappointed in humanity (moreso than I already am) if Brawl doesn't sell more than Halo, as you can hardly argue that the Smash Bros. series in general added far more to the video game industry in general than any of the Halo games. Nobody will remember Halo 20 years in the future for anything gameplay related; they'll remember it because of all the hype and advertisement based on it. Meanwhile, Smash Bros. will be remembered for its quirky gameplay style, where you have to knock your opponent off the edge of the screen to win, rather than just stab/shoot/punch them enough times to fully deplete their health. That should count for something, if you ask me.
Your statements are so biased, it's laughable. The Halo franchise almost single-handedly created the online console gaming community that thrives so much today.

Personally, I prefer Melee to any of the Halos (and I played Halo 2 for three years), but what you're saying is just dumb. You're talking about dying too fast and walking in gravy... Halo plays like it's supposed to. I don't know what non-gravy like atmosphere you're comparing it to. Unless you've played Halo as seriously (or almost as seriously) as you have played Smash, I don't think you have any room to compare the two.

otter

Smash Ace
I often ask people "Sure Halo is a good calouge of other people's ideas, but what has it added to video games?"

Then the get mad and drive their four wheeler off into the distance.

richie137

Smash Cadet
Will brawl sell halo 3, I will say it by world region

In the US or Canada= its going to be close, (but I think HALO, will still outsell brawl, but closer than people think)

In the rest of North America= I think Brawl could outsell HALO over there
South America= I think Brawl
Europe= HALO will outsell, because it is popular over there as well
Asia and Japan= Smash Bros., because HALO its never popular
Africa= its a toss up, leaning more to smash bros.
Australia= also a toss up, but smash bros. outsells HALO

In a world perspective, I think Smash could outsell HALO, by its global sales, plus the other good games on the Wii as well, compared to HALO, when it has Gears and Call of Duty to back up as well.

SaberPichu

Smash Cadet
I think its possible for Brawl to outsell Halo 3 but its going to be a long uphill battle. Especially since there is next to no advertising in NA (and if I remember correctly the few weeks leading up to Halo 3 were especially painful with advertisements...) and sure we know its coming (and along with our friends, and family members depending on how vocal we have been...) but Nintendo hasn't exactly signed deals with Mountain Dew to have Brawl gamer juice. And from the looks of it they aren't exactly ready to do the advertising blitz that they did in Japan...

It certainly is possible... But it may take a while and when that day comes will any of us actually care anymore?

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
Will brawl sell halo 3, I will say it by world region

In the US or Canada= its going to be close, (but I think HALO, will still outsell brawl, but closer than people think)

In the rest of North America= I think Brawl could outsell HALO over there
South America= I think Brawl
Europe= HALO will outsell, because it is popular over there as well
Asia and Japan= Smash Bros., because HALO its never popular
Africa= its a toss up, leaning more to smash bros.
Australia= also a toss up, but smash bros. outsells HALO

In a world perspective, I think Smash could outsell HALO, by its global sales, plus the other good games on the Wii as well, compared to HALO, when it has Gears and Call of Duty to back up as well.

Wrong, in europe it is PRO 6 who will outsell the others, and then smash bros. XBOX isn't too knows here...

Folt

Smash Ace
I often ask people "Sure Halo is a good calouge of other people's ideas, but what has it added to video games?"

Then the get mad and drive their four wheeler off into the distance.
They probably can't stand the idea of Halo not adding s**t to videogames. XD

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I play plenty of serious Halo games. I've played against MLG pros and whatnot; I haven't done particularly WELL, granted, but considering that I absolutely despise the game, that's none too surprising. I'm not saying that Halo won't appeal to some people, but as far as I'm concerned, when you consider how the game is played, it's just amazingly bad. Yes, it's played like it's supposed to - and I'm saying, it's an awful game. I've got at least one person that backs me up on this, so it can't be just me. Saying that the game played like it's supposed to is like saying that Devil May Cry is perfect because it was SUPPOSED to be frustratingly hard. Doesn't make me feel any better, knowing that it was intended in it's development. I wasn't saying that people shouldn't enjoy playing Halo, but it just feels wrong to me.

By the way, I'm comparing it to every other FPS game I've ever played, but chiefly, to my favorite, which would be Unreal tournament 2004. Unreal Tournament just fits my playstyle much better; I prefer to just make myself a harder target for my opponent to hit than to run around and abuse cover and whatnot. You die just as fast, but if you get sneak attacked, you still have a chance to dodge around and stuff. In Halo, you don't run fast enough to actually dodge anything, and you jump far too high and far too slowly for it to be of much practical use. Even people I know who really like Halo criticize its single movement speed, considering newer FPS games like Battlefield 2 (the only one I really know; I'm not really the biggest FPS fan in the first place) where you have a running speed and a walking/jogging speed.

I just love how you didn't even give a reason why Halo was actually a good game. Your only example cited is the rush of people who played it online. Which brings me around to my second point: how can you possibly consider this an accomplishment? "Halo created the online console gaming community," you say. I say, "WHO THE **** CARES?!" The Halo community is LEGENDARILY childish. Everyone I've talked to with half a brain (and, truth be told, even some without even that much <_<) really hates taking it online because of how awful it is. And besides, you're once again ignoring the fact that I was criticizing Halo's gameplay, not its popularity; I ceded the fact early on that Halo was exceedingly popular. The only way that Halo can take any amount of credit for the growth of online gaming is for it's incredible popularity, which I could attribute to several other factors than its gameplay.

You can't even prove for certain that Halo has anything to do with the sharp increase in online gamers ANYWAY! The way I see it, it's just a case of right place, right time, with the time being what is now last generation, the first time that online play was being seriously considered, and the place being on the Xbox, considered to have the best online gaming service of the 3 consoles.

Anyway, ranting aside, what I'm saying is this: Halo did NOT improve on the FPS genre by any standards, in any way. I will fight anyone who says it did to the death about it. It didn't reinvent the wheel, and as such, can only be considered a good game in my books (not that it is, of course.) Smash Bros. took a risk, throwing the tried-and-true meter based system out the window and creating its own, totally unique knockback-based combat system. And that is why I will always hold Smash Bros. above most of the competition.

You see, Mr. Bibbed, two people have already stated my exact opinion, that Halo added nothing to the video game industry just since my post 1 hour and 15 minutes ago. Nobody out there should believe that Halo was in any way groundbreaking, so don't even try to argue that point. I don't usually like saying opinions are wrong, but I'm sorry to say, yours is. Go ahead and play Halo if you'd like, but I'm going to continue not to touch it with a 100-foot pole. I'll take a game with solid gameplay over a game that can cause 12-year old idiots to play it online by the thousands any day. Good day, sir.
---
Sorry for the book, by the way, but this is something that I am very adamant about. Besides, if you know me, you'll be used to reading novels by now.

quinnydinny

Smash Cadet
I don't know lets do some numbers.

Halo 3 has sold 8.1 million copies so far and is 360's top selling game by 4 million... Melee sold a total of 6 million copies compared to halo 2's 8 million. Xbox sold a total of 24 million consoles to Gamecubes' 21.72. This puts the popularity of Melee below Halo 2 in a game to console ratio. Wii has over taken 306 in console sales with 17.85 and 17.7 million respectively. Halo has increased in popularity from 33% of console owners to 45%. Melee to cube ratio is at 28% which was only slightly better then Super mario sunshine at 25%. Galaxy's console/game ratio increased to 29% just a 4% increase on a game consider far greater the its predecessor. Smash has to increase its population by 17% to overtake Halo 3.

...ok wow. Anyway the hype for brawl is far greater then that of melee and the popularity of the Wii is far greater then that of the Gamecube. I think Brawl has a chance to out sell halo 3 but looking at the mario sales it doesn't seem too promising.

gohan082

Smash Rookie
Sure, I think it will surpass Halo 3 in the sales.

Many, many people have been looking forward to the Dec 3rd release which didn't happen. From June (when the Dojo started) to Oct 10th, they already had a huge leigon of people ready to buy the game, until it got delayed to Feb 10th (Or somwhere around there). With that announcement flying everywhere, the game is sure to spread publicity. Now when January 15ish rolled around, another delay was announced. Now those newcomers to Brawl also have most likely spread the word about the delay, gaining EVEN MORE publicity.

Also, now that the hype of Halo 3 has been lowered, Halo 3 fans could also be looking toward Brawl. What's wrong with a little multi-gaming? :chuckle:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Your statements are so biased, it's laughable. The Halo franchise almost single-handedly created the online console gaming community that thrives so much today.

Personally, I prefer Melee to any of the Halos (and I played Halo 2 for three years), but what you're saying is just dumb. You're talking about dying too fast and walking in gravy... Halo plays like it's supposed to. I don't know what non-gravy like atmosphere you're comparing it to. Unless you've played Halo as seriously (or almost as seriously) as you have played Smash, I don't think you have any room to compare the two.
Non gravy like amosphere would be moving at an actual running speed that isn't completely easy to track and not jumping and then floating down to earth.

I play Halo 3 and what he says is true the entire time.
If someone ambushes you 10/10 you are dead.
Unless you are playing lone wolf or team slayer on a small map your killer will usually be able to hide and recharge his shields.
Another reason halo 3 is a bad FPS?

The vehicles. No not their inclusion but rather their immense amount of strength.
Banshees, Warthogs all the vehicles in the game are nearly unkillable with conventionable weaponry and you can't say hey gang up on it with your teammates because usually they have to deailw ith the vehicle users teammates.

Only thing that kills vehicles are the sticky grenades, spartan laster, missile pod, rocket launcher.

All of which are available in such a small amount that the heavy weapon user usually DIES and gets their stuff taken before they can take out the next vehicle.

Other vehicles? Good idea in theory but usually whoever wins will dominate the game until they finally die after many minutes of being shot so the opposing team usually gets screwed over.

Its incredibly difficult to take out a warthog by yourself especially when you don't have the right equiptment readily available. Hell I've spawned repeatedly in view of the warthhog with only frags which while they do flip the warthhog do not stop the gunner from firing or the occupants from jumping out and ****** you hard.

You want an actual good FPS? Go play COD4 or Golden Eye or Perfect Dark or UNreal Tournament 3 or even Jet Force Gemini.

The PC online gaming gave birth to console online not Halo.
That would be the equivalent of saying that nintendo gave birth to fun single plaer games despite the fact that Atari did it before them.

World of Warcraft and other online games defined what playing online is they were the first to perfect it and all Halo did was place it on the console and even then there were games before Halo with online capability that was good if not popular.

DQP

Smash Ace
gosh i hope it will sell more than halo 3. but if it doesn't, i'm sure the sales will still be way up there.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Well brawl is a million times better than halo 3 and still brawl has a lot more hype than any game I have ever seen

leeray666

Smash Cadet
Though the statements may well be biased, I think the online console gaming community was a logical progression and to be honest any half decent FPS released on the X-Box at that time would have sparked this off had Halo not existed.

While still a decent game my feelings are that it offers very little over its nearest rivals. Halo IS overrated as far as I'm concerned. Quake 2 was a better online game IMO, but having said that
I don't think Brawl will out sell it. Although there is a massive base of Smash Bros. fans loyal to the series the majority of gamers out there don't understand the game and simply see it as a mere button mashing party game.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Your logic is faulty mainly because of the mainstream people view it as a button masher, why is it that Fighting games like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter do not sell as well as melee?
Those are definitely not viewed as button mashers especially games like Tekken.

People went for Halo mainly because its popular not because its an actual good game.
Compare it to UR3 or COD4 and you'll find its nowhere near as good and yet its still the most popular FPS out there.
The same thing went for Kameo. Really pretty, really hyped, crappy game.
Not to say halo isn't good but that its subpar compared to other FPS.

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
First time I played Halo, I was really, really hyped for it. With a bit of practice, I've got into Timesplitters 2 controls, and was incredibly excited for this game.

What can I say? I was severely disappointed. This game was like walking in molasses. I actually like the jumping physics, but even that feature was utterly bogged down by the slowness of masterchief and the limited weaponry. That, and I had this stupid 2-second lag on my controller (later got an Xbox and Halo for free, and found the controls fine in that game).

Anyway, enough of my experience. Japan is a terribly biased indicator of game sales, but seeing that the Wii selled like hot cakes there, and the same happened to the US, I can make a similarly decent connection with Brawl. Most of you are right when you say Brawl cannot outsell Halo its first day, and I agree it won't the first week either. But I think in the long run, Brawl will outsell Halo, partly because I want to, but mostly because the game can live without the hype....and still succeed.

onlinenow25

Smash Rookie
Ill tell you all now that the reason that halo is so popular is because the FIRST game was so great.

Yea it didn't add much to the fps world but it was a lot of fun, and it was the first fps i know of that you could wack someone w/out having a melee attacking weapon out.

But Halo 2 and 3 really kinda died for me. The addition to having no life bar killed it for me and my friends.

Yea we play halo 3, but we dont play slayer, infection is the most fun for us. And melee, well we play melee for hours and hours and then play halo for a good hour and get bord and move on to something else.

But what people are saying about halo not being revolutionary is somewhat true, the only thing i know it did right was made an fps game alot of fun (halo 1) But i personaly dont enjoy halo 2 and 3 compared to halo 1.

So the hype of each halo game pretty much just was done by halo 1. at least thats what i think

leeray666

Smash Cadet
Your logic is faulty mainly because of the mainstream people view it as a button masher, why is it that Fighting games like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter do not sell as well as melee?
Those are definitely not viewed as button mashers especially games like Tekken.
I don't understand your logic. I don't mean any disrespect here but are you comparing the sales of the Smash Bros. series to the Street Fighter series? because if you are you are sorrily mistaken. If however you are comparing the sales of say, Third Strike to Melee you have to consider that there have been a huge amount of Street Fighter games in many different incarnations and many other fighting games based on the same mechanics. By the time Third Strike came out, the main bulk of their purchasers were the loyal hardcore.
Soul Calibur doesn't sell as well because of lack of hype and marketing, also because of the stiff competition in its field and the reputation it has for being too complex.

Obviously quality still shines through and this is why Melee was the Cubes best seller. However, among the vast majority of gamers there is an image of over simplicity and quirkiness which might attract some people, it too gives the impression that it is just a gimmicky party game.
This is also because it is a Nintendo product, and gimmicky is a word that is now regularly thrown around in conversations about Nintendo.

Halo throws an elitist image of Hardcore and respect through its marketing. And most self respecting gaming kids are easily swayed by the marketing.

Brawl will sell well, there is no doubt about that. But in my mind I don't think it will out sell Halo 3.

I could yet be proved wrong.

In fact I hope I am, Smash Bros. really does need to get the respect it really deserves.

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand your logic. I don't mean any disrespect here but are you comparing the sales of the Smash Bros. series to the Street Fighter series? because if you are you are sorrily mistaken. If however you are comparing the sales of say, Third Strike to Melee you have to consider that there have been a huge amount of Street Fighter games in many different incarnations and many other fighting games based on the same mechanics. By the time Third Strike came out, the main bulk of their purchasers were the loyal hardcore.
Soul Calibur doesn't sell as well because of lack of hype and marketing, also because of the stiff competition in its field and the reputation it has for being too complex.

In fact I hope I am, Smash Bros. really does need to get the respect it really deserves.
No, he's saying if Smash was considered a button masher, why would it outsell Soul Calibur, Tekken, and the like where it's NOT considered a button masher? His point had little to do with statistics, rather that smash is NOT a button-masher

leeray666

Smash Cadet
You know and I know that Smash Bros is not a button masher. But I am saying the opinion of the masses is that this is exactly what Smash Bros is.

Now I could go on to several multi-format games forums where quite a few people feel exactly this way, and quote them if you like?

Top Bottom