• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote and nunchuck will offer best experience

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I know that most will disagree, but the Wiimote and nunchuck controls offer the best way to play.

-On a Gamecube controller, your thumb shifts to the "a" and "b" buttons, while with the Wiimote nunchuck setup, your thumb and your finger are covering these buttons all the time.

-Jumping will be easier, because you don't have to take your thumb off of the "a" or "b" buttons.

-Plus, the Wiimote and nunchuck setup is comfortable!

As you can see, the Wiimote and nunchuck offer more flexibilty than the Gamecube controller. We think the Gamecube is better, simply because we are so attached to it. The only downside I see to the Wiimote and nunchuck are the constant replacement of AA batteries. Good thing I have rechargeable ones!!!

I will now put on a flame shield.

What about Shielding? Shield Grab?

Anyways if you want it that way you could change R to B(Special Move) and there you go, GC controller has more flexibility. You could say that its because we are attached, but it is not, things like Shield Grabbing will be rather uncorfortable in the Wii + Nunchuk, while nothing is uncorfortable in the GC you just have to move a finger. Dodging to any kind of A + B move will be uncorfortable (IC desynching combos too). Also there is a lack of C-Stick on the Wiimote.

You can alter any controller, the GC gives the most buttons overall and covers more positions in order to make the "position" of the buttons more "flexible" than any other.

Matt of Steel

Smash Rookie
Yeah I already posted my thoughts on this in a thread.

The nunchuck setup sounds logically best.
A and B buttons are obvious.
Z button for jumping as it is biggest.
C button for shielding.
Taunting is fun but not needed to be gotten quickly, so the D-pad can do that.
Only thing left is a "grab" button for aerial tethers like Link or Samus. I think down on the D-pad is good for this.

I'm hoping "shake smash" will work like the C-stick. Meaning again, no need to move my thumb.

Unfortunately, I have been rudely told that due to some hassles with wireless syncing, only corded GCube controllers are allowed in tournaments.

I hope time will tell on that.

I'd much rather use a new controller on this new game.

Darkslash

Smash Master
After reading this (http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/125) article on WiFi wars, I'm gonna use Chuck. The only reason your fingers move is for taunts. For those to lazy to click the link here's a pic

As you can see

C:Grab
Z:Shield
A:Attack
B:Special
Jump is Down or left to right. As I am sitting here trying it out, its comfortable actually:lol:
so I'm going to try that config or find my own.

Credits to that configuration to B-run of WiFi wars

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah I already posted my thoughts on this in a thread.

The nunchuck setup sounds logically best.
A and B buttons are obvious.
Z button for jumping as it is biggest.
C button for shielding.
Taunting is fun but not needed to be gotten quickly, so the D-pad can do that.
Only thing left is a "grab" button for aerial tethers like Link or Samus. I think down on the D-pad is good for this.

I'm hoping "shake smash" will work like the C-stick. Meaning again, no need to move my thumb.

Unfortunately, I have been rudely told that due to some hassles with wireless syncing, only corded GCube controllers are allowed in tournaments.

I hope time will tell on that.

I'd much rather use a new controller on this new game.

So you would use Shielding in the C and grabbing in the D-Pad? Well then what about when you need to JC Grab or need to Dash Grab for any reason. Also pressing the C really fast everytime you need it, I just feel moving THAT finger from Z to C is a lot more uncorfortable than moving the thumb from A to B...

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
After reading this (http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/125) article on WiFi wars, I'm gonna use Chuck. The only reason your fingers move is for taunts. For those to lazy to click the link here's a pic

As you can see

Jump is Down or left to right. As I am sitting here trying it out, its comfortable actually:lol:

With that configuration, what about jumping to an aerial, a lot more uncorfortable moving your thumb from A to Down on the D-Pad, and then back to A. I mean if you use the control stick to jump, then well, its better for you, but I don't and I bet most people don't, so for those people jumping will be uncorfortable.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
So you would use Shielding in the C and grabbing in the D-Pad? Well then what about when you need to JC Grab or need to Dash Grab for any reason. Also pressing the C really fast everytime you need it, I just feel moving THAT finger from Z to C is a lot more uncorfortable than moving the thumb from A to B...

No, you would not need to move your finger from Z to C on the nunchuck, because your middle finger rests on the Z button, while your index rests on the c button. Problem solved.

timidshadow

Smash Apprentice
Good point I would totally try it but Gamecube is my current main way of play, however that might change, who knows.

Jiggy.

Smash Rookie
Maybe, but I'll start with the GCN because it's more familiar. I'll probably test out the nunchuck eventually.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
No, you would not need to move your finger from Z to C on the nunchuck, because your middle finger rests on the Z button, while your index rests on the c button. Problem solved.
What about Grabbing, as in regular grab not Shield + A, it is used for JC Grabbing, Dash Grabbing, or maybe someone who just wants to grab instead of Shield Grabbing. (for whatever reason)

Jiggy.

Smash Rookie
With that configuration, what about jumping to an aerial, a lot more uncorfortable moving your thumb from A to Down on the D-Pad, and then back to A. I mean if you use the control stick to jump, then well, its better for you, but I don't and I bet most people don't, so for those people jumping will be uncorfortable.
You could put grab on the d-pad and jump on the c button, that would work well, most characters won't be grabbing in the air.

Jacobcc

Smash Journeyman
I know that most will disagree, but the Wiimote and nunchuck controls offer the best way to play.

-On a Gamecube controller, your thumb shifts to the "a" and "b" buttons, while with the Wiimote nunchuck setup, your thumb and your finger are covering these buttons all the time.

-Jumping will be easier, because you don't have to take your thumb off of the "a" or "b" buttons.

-Plus, the Wiimote and nunchuck setup is comfortable!

As you can see, the Wiimote and nunchuck offer more flexibilty than the Gamecube controller. We think the Gamecube is better, simply because we are so attached to it. The only downside I see to the Wiimote and nunchuck are the constant replacement of AA batteries. Good thing I have rechargeable ones!!!

I will now put on a flame shield.
Exactly the control scheme that I will use. Along side the Wiimote (tilted sideways). :)

Truce

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the only advantage to Nunchuk control seems to be dependent on whether you jump w/ control stick or button. Anyone who's used to using stick for jumps will just be relearning controls for no real reason.

I mean, I might try it, but GCN's just gonna be more comfortable for me.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I just started with SSBB. Havent even played ssbm so to start off what do you reccomend? I was thinking the classic controller. Is it a good choice?

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
Corner-Trap, these aren't wavebirds, they stay working, with one Wii.

Also, does smash shaking work only for smashes, or does it work like a c-stick? If it works like a c-stick, then I believe Wiimote+Nunchuck is best, otherwise, I think classic controller is best.

First off, I want to remind people that you can put one finger on multiple buttons, it's possible to have your thumb on A and Down-dpad for the nunchuck setup, and thus you don't need to move fingers.

However, the classic controller works so that you can have your thumb on y, a, and b at the same time, and be able to press them independently, and with the shoulder buttons, I believe that you wouldn't need to move your fingers except for the c-stick, which I use for aerials all the time, but it would still be better than a GC controller.

That's not to say that the GC controller is bad, though.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The C button.............
We're talking about when C is Shielding, not grabbing, and if you put grab in C where would you shield, if you put shield in Z then where would you Jump? The lack of buttons apart from the D-Pad does not help the Nunchuk.

For sonic users, wiimote with nunchuck is the best.
Yea for the fastest character, with the best grab range, you would pick a control with an uncorfortable Dash-Grab and Jump-Cancel Grab.

No controller is the best really. But the GC has the most buttons and covers the most "common positions" for gamers, which adding in customizable controllers becomes the best controller, since you can make it what you want.

Also, does smash shaking work only for smashes, or does it work like a c-stick? If it works like a c-stick, then I believe Wiimote+Nunchuck is best, otherwise, I think classic controller is best.

First off, I want to remind people that you can put one finger on multiple buttons, it's possible to have your thumb on A and Down-dpad for the nunchuck setup, and thus you don't need to move fingers.
No the Shake Smash won't be able to work like the C-Stick, why? Well you shake your Wii-mote, what direction is the Smash coming out? Well if you say "The direction you move the Wii-Mote" It means it comes out when you move it in 1 direction, which means you will do lots of "oops" Shake Smashes. Now if you have to literally shake it, it means that you can't direct it unless you are pressing that direction, which kills most of the purpouse of it. (Doing smashes or aerials while pressing another direction)

Putting the finger in 2 buttons at the same time is not only weird (but you could get used to it), but it is uncorfortable to press the right button. Your comments about the Classic are not correctly formulated, as putting your finger on 3 different buttons is a very awkward position for holding the controller, I have not tried it but it will probably be VERY uncorfortable, and another thing is that the Classic is very flat, while the GC is like chunky, which is more confortable to hold.

Met

Smash Ace
Nah GCC is gonna be the best brawl is slowed down, you don't need buttons closer together you can already do things faster then it will register if your too quick. And it is very important to have more buttons because then it isn't as easy to do something that wasn't intended. I have played it and its wierd using them and doesn't provided anything better just worse.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman

As you can see

what's tap jump?

COLDshiver

Smash Cadet
Those are all good points, too bad that it's wireless which isn't exactly desired due to random desynching.
I haven't had any problems with my wiimotes so i will have no problem with it,, but i have heard reports of people having synching problems.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I haven't had any problems with my wiimotes so i will have no problem with it,, but i have heard reports of people having synching problems.
That might be because of worn out batteries, change batteries for maximum output. I do not think Wireless will be a problem that much and I believe the Wiimote + Nunchuk will be good, but I do believe GC will still be better.

David the Great

Smash Rookie
Only time will tell. I don't see why some people are so afraid/hesitate of trying new things though. When Tekken 5 arcade first came out with the option for the player to use their PS2 gamepad from home most arcade players who are used to arcade sticks, including me, laughed at it. Well, turned out that it worked just as well once I gave it a few try.

I also don't know why people are so afraid of wireless for tournament after all those years. Wiimotes and Wii are build from the ground up together and the only time one might encounter problem is when the player himself totally forget to check the batteries. Then you have those that say it takes forever to sync, which really only takes a min or so at most unless you didn't read the user manual on how to sync.

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally probably going to stick with the Gamecube controller because 1) That's what I'm used too and 2) I don't like the thought of being somewhere else and running out of batteries with my controller and not having a way to recharge them on the spot (Like say if this happened during a tournament match or something like that). Despite that I will try out the Wiimote and nunchuck set up and if it's just overall better than I'll stick with it.

John5

Smash Apprentice
Definitely will give it a chance. If you are at a higher level than your usual local competition, perhaps a different controller would serve as a decent handicap.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Most major tournaments have a strict policy against wireless controllers, due to interference and syncing problems. So that is most likely going to keep the wireless controllers from ever catching on in the competative scene. For those who wish to enter in tournaments, I'd advise you to stick to the GC controller, as it's the only corded controller of the bunch and thus becomes the only useable one in tournaments (note that this excludes online tournaments).

illphil

Smash Apprentice
Yea the default jump doesn't require your thumb, but I'm gonna make the Down arrow jump because I've always used my thumb to jump. It's VERY close to the A button anyway so it's not much of a distance to move unlike the X and A on GC controller

jamin686

Smash Rookie
Couldn't you just map the R button to "B" on the Gamecube controller? I love how customizable the controls are. It really just comes down to whatever controller is most comfortable.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
wiimote alone sux, its like playing with a gamecube controller taht has no jump buttons and an awkward block button. Its so hard to short hop with running attacks with jsut the wiimote. And the block button doesnt feel as comfortable (maybe im used to blocking with R instead of L tho). Def handicap with just the wiimote, not enought buttons.

sbm888

Smash Rookie
NNID
atomukirin
well, yes i am a noob, i never played melee..... but i have all controller types and have spent many hours on each one trying to master brawl.

i totally agree with the original poster - the nunchuck+wii is the best as all the buttons are covered by my fingers already, less movement means faster reaction for me.

second is the GC controller, its comfortable, and i am a JUS player, so it was easy for me to master, however moving the fingers to perform jump, light attack, etc is a little slower than the nunchuck +wii.

classic controller sucks bad, the directional controller is only for taunts, so the L-stick is the actual movement, which sucks bad.

wii-mote is crap too, too cramped....

well, thats my opinion - a noob's opinion who has tried all controller types without Melee experience, hence i am not biased in any way based on experience....

Top Bottom