• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote and nunchuck will offer best experience

skiks

Smash Cadet
I always wanted to use this set up more then anything. Theres always a reason why Nintendo would let us use this set up in the first place. Brawl is a Wii game. It may even help us unlearn meele faster.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
I know I wont like the wiimote by it self but I really want to see how the classic controller plays and also im gonna try to play wiimote nunchuck style. BUt i can see myself going back to the gamecube controller anyways.

Chepe

Smash Lord
People actually need to take off their thumb from the A button to press the jump? I always just use the middle of my thumb to tap the jump when doing aerials... But I see how it affects B move usage in the air.

Solid points, but arent tournaments most likely going to ban wireless controllers anyway?

Darkslash

Smash Master
People actually need to take off their thumb from the A button to press the jump? I always just use the middle of my thumb to tap the jump when doing aerials... But I see how it affects B move usage in the air.

Solid points, but arent tournaments most likely going to ban wireless controllers anyway?
Well they may change the rules

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya i'll agree with you there your fingers will always be on the buttons could mean quicker reactions none the less i plan on trying out all the different controls and go with what i feel to be the best.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
No the Shake Smash won't be able to work like the C-Stick, why? Well you shake your Wii-mote, what direction is the Smash coming out? Well if you say "The direction you move the Wii-Mote" It means it comes out when you move it in 1 direction, which means you will do lots of "oops" Shake Smashes. Now if you have to literally shake it, it means that you can't direct it unless you are pressing that direction, which kills most of the purpouse of it. (Doing smashes or aerials while pressing another direction)

Putting the finger in 2 buttons at the same time is not only weird (but you could get used to it), but it is uncorfortable to press the right button. Your comments about the Classic are not correctly formulated, as putting your finger on 3 different buttons is a very awkward position for holding the controller, I have not tried it but it will probably be VERY uncorfortable, and another thing is that the Classic is very flat, while the GC is like chunky, which is more confortable to hold.
The smash shake question was aimed at someone who had actually tried it.

Speaking of actually trying it, you even admitted that you hadn't actually tried the classic controller setup (and you were vague about nunchuck setup). I have tried them both over the course multiple minutes (not just a 5 second try) and although it may seem uncomfortable or awkward for you, but (at least to me) it's actually quite simple. Especially putting your thumb over down and A on the nunchuck. It's as equally comfortable as holding your thumb on Y and A at the same time for the GCN, which is what I do for melee. (Although if one has a large thumb I could imagine him having trouble pressing those buttons individually.) As for the classic controller, it's rather natural to press any of those three buttons at a time, it's like that's the way it's supposed to be held. (For clarification, you put your thumb more diagonal than vertical, so that it sits naturally over y*, a, and b.) The only problem I could understand a normal person having with that setup is the left analog stick's position, which is kind of awkward, but that's another story, and it's hardly the deciding factor.

*I'm not entirely sure it's y, it may be x. I'm referring to the innermost one.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure I'm going to use it, but my Gamestop is for the first round of the tournament.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Gonna try all the controllers out.

The GC controller was always ******** in some form or another.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
well, yes i am a noob, i never played melee..... but i have all controller types and have spent many hours on each one trying to master brawl.

i totally agree with the original poster - the nunchuck+wii is the best as all the buttons are covered by my fingers already, less movement means faster reaction for me.

second is the GC controller, its comfortable, and i am a JUS player, so it was easy for me to master, however moving the fingers to perform jump, light attack, etc is a little slower than the nunchuck +wii.

classic controller sucks bad, the directional controller is only for taunts, so the L-stick is the actual movement, which sucks bad.

wii-mote is crap too, too cramped....

well, thats my opinion - a noob's opinion who has tried all controller types without Melee experience, hence i am not biased in any way based on experience....

I agree you are a noob. The Classic controller is the same as the GC controller with movement. You can't use the D-pad to move, so I don't under stand what you are talking about. Also the Classic controller's buttons are closser togther. The two major problems about the Classic controller is that it has no rumble and it's grab button is a little akward.

neoREgen

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately I'm quite accustomed to doing everything with my right hand except moving.
When I found out Wiimote + Nunchuck was a likely setup for the Gamestop tourney, I started trying to get used to shielding and dodging with my left hand (in Melee) and I just couldn't do it... it made my brain hurt in that ""I'm learning something really difficult" way. And I played like a noob.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'm just not a big fan of the Wiimote in general. Seeing as I have Gamecube controllers and the nuchuck set up, I'm quite used to both. So, personally, I'll probably stick with the Gamecube controller. I will definetly get myself accustomed to the other control styles best I can (Never know when it may come in handy) but actually having played multiple Wii and Gamecube titles, without the need of the pointer makes the Wiimote and nunchuck extremely awkward for me.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Only if i can turn off the shake smash i'd try it (i think you can) cause motions are not safe and accurate enough in high detail playing. Although i can see it being good since it's very light and you can have your hands as far apart as you'd like. Esp when they make the wireless nunchucks.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
interesting. actually some good points. but whats the jump button and the shield button? i simply cannot shield with my left hand.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
My instinct tells me that almost every post in this topic is talking about how people are going to try the nun chuck and wiimote because they bring up good points and it's what gamestop tournaments will use.

What do you think multi-station gamer hosted tournaments will use? Like we'll have a bunch of wireless setups around? I don't care to find the post explaining all the details, but I'll stick with my GCN controller, thanks.

MSK

Smash Rookie
As a noob, I plan on trying both the wiimote + nunchuk and the gc controller. In all seriousness, whats the chances of the wiimote being allowed in tourneys? How difficult are some of the more advanced movements on the wiimote compared to the gc controller? If they're harder, I might not bother with the wiimote.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Ehh I'm going to use the wiimote and Nunchuck and GameCube controller. :laugh: Really I'm not spending 60 bucks on a Wiimote with a nunchuck/Classic Controller :laugh:

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be using Wiimote + Nunchuck because it gives me an excuse for hitting my opponent (IRL). Seriously, you wanna know the perfect edgeguard? Punch your friend in the arm and disrupt his recovery. Your excuse can be that you were trying to forward smash.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
So far, I've played Brawl with the Wii Remote, Classic Controller, Wii Remote & Nunchaku, (I don't like the word Nunchuck XD). The one I'm most confterble with is the Classic becasue I've gotten used to it. But I say the best feeling will be the Wii Remote and Nunchaku, should I get into more details again?

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
interesting. actually some good points. but whats the jump button and the shield button? i simply cannot shield with my left hand.
You would jump with the C button, and shield with the Z button. If it's hard for you to shield with your left hand than it would be better for you to keep the Gamecube controler. Although the Wiimote and nunchuck setup has it's advantages, they aren't too big of a deal if you can't relearn the controls. If you tried, you'd have to think hard about which button to push, causing you to put less thought into the match.

I recommend the Wiimote and nunchuck setup only to people that can adapt to changes quickly, or for people who have never played a Smash Brothers game yet.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I will now put on a flame shield.
That wont save you. But, good points I also considered this when I first heard about this setup but, I was worried about the amount of attacks that can be used by using the c stick,like short hopping backwards with a nair or floating backward with peach while performing a fair. stuff like that, and also. I might move to the classic controller because I alwyas perfered fighters and controllers that are more like the super nintendo controller (D-pad) or the ps2 controller.

But for competetive play I'm going to explore which options set me up to win the most. if its the wiimote and nunchcuk then so be it. I considered the classic controller because the buttons are more organized.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking of trying out the Combo Controls. But I'll put shielding on B and B on D-pad Down. I'm to used to shielding with right trigger. I'll probably end up switching to the GCN controller due to comfort. The analog shielding isn't a big issue for me since I don't light shield much anyway....

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Isn't the reason to not use Wiimote + Nunchuck the wireless lag/connection issues?

Whatever though. I've been practicing with Wiimote + Nunchuck for the GS tourney, and I've found it just as easy as the GC controller. I find moving my thumb over for short hops more satisfying though.

Zek

Smash Ace
The nunchuck will not be the ideal control scheme because of the lack of a c-stick. Without it you lose the ability to do aerials without influencing your direction, and do smash attacks at max speed with no risk of tripping.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
That's actually a cool thing to hear because I don't want to go and try to find new gamecube or buy new classic controllers just for brawl when the old gamecube controllers have been used to death.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
It is, and it isn't. Depends on whether you shield grab exclusively, because B+A grab isn't 100% consistent, and the jump/shielding with your left hand really take some time to get used to. You react slower with your left hand since it's not as used to being on the twitch.

I've been playing wiimote and chuck until I get a new official GC controller (the chinese knockoff I bought broke in literally two days) but it's really kind of cumbersome. I'm considering it like training weights before I get the GC controller and get back up to speed.

Falco for BRAWL

Smash Cadet
do you have to jump by pressing up?
because then i'll have a problem
i would hate having to press up each time to jump

i love how the gamecube controller has y and x buttons for jumping

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The controllers for the most part are decent setups what really hurts the Nunchuck setup to most competitive is going to be the lack of the C-stick but as far as I go I don't really use the C-stick and it was always awkard for me to use anyway. But the plus side for alot of people particular when it comes to sell it to new people to the series that everyone has at least this setup in their collection and it's not a bad arrangement really, it just looks like it takes some getting used to.

The Classic controller is a fairly familiar button configuration that a little more standardized since it kinda shaped like a PS controller, only problem with it is it can be a little awkard to hold onto and I guess I've heard the analogs are a little senstive on it.

The Gamecube controller there isn't very much to say about it. We all know about it and it's advantages and disadvantages. The big disadvantage is mostly due to the analog on the shoulder buttons which doesn't work for shielding very well but many people have kind of fix that issue on their own.

The Wiimote by itself... ... ... um... I can't think of any decent way to make that work.

Chexr

Smash Ace
How would I do aerials with the C-stick while moving in a different direction than the aerial I want to do? And shake smash sounds like it would be unreliable.

And Brawl isn't melee. Its not like I wont have enough time in between attacks to move my fingers to the next button.

Sliq

Smash Master
I know that most will disagree, but the Wiimote and nunchuck controls offer the best way to play.

-On a Gamecube controller, your thumb shifts to the "a" and "b" buttons, while with the Wiimote nunchuck setup, your thumb and your finger are covering these buttons all the time.

-Jumping will be easier, because you don't have to take your thumb off of the "a" or "b" buttons.

-Plus, the Wiimote and nunchuck setup is comfortable!

As you can see, the Wiimote and nunchuck offer more flexibilty than the Gamecube controller. We think the Gamecube is better, simply because we are so attached to it. The only downside I see to the Wiimote and nunchuck are the constant replacement of AA batteries. Good thing I have rechargeable ones!!!

I will now put on a flame shield.
Wireless interference. GG.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Wiimotes aren't quite as dumb as Wavebirds were. Wavebirds operated on the channel you told them to. Wiimotes operate on an independent channel the Wii sets. I haven't personally seen what happens when dozens of them get in the same room, but I highly doubt they will have the same impacts as Wavebirds.

But, only time will tell on that one. ;)

Sliq

Smash Master
Wiimotes aren't quite as dumb as Wavebirds were. Wavebirds operated on the channel you told them to. Wiimotes operate on an independent channel the Wii sets. I haven't personally seen what happens when dozens of them get in the same room, but I highly doubt they will have the same impacts as Wavebirds.

But, only time will tell on that one. ;)
Magus had a HUGE post about this earlier, but basically the wii-motes, when enough are gathered together, will cause interference with one another, and therefor will create controller lag and/or dropped signals.

Sliq

Smash Master
Sure, in big tournaments with 15 Wiis going simultaneously. No problem with the button layout in itself, which (from my impressions) is the point of this topic.
Yes, but the point still stands that interference ruins the wiimote, and no amount of good button layout is going to fix controller lag and disconnect.

Top Bottom