• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote and nunchuck will offer best experience

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
Yes, but the point still stands that interference ruins the wiimote, and no amount of good button layout is going to fix controller lag and disconnect.
Actually, I've tested controller lag on both the Gamecube controller and the wireless Wii controllers, and couldn't find any difference in lag. (I put my Wii and Gamecube side by side, and seperate televisions side by side, and put Twilight Princess in each. I pushed the "a" button simultaneously on each controller, and the reaction time on both systems was the same. I just tested this last night.)

As for interference, I could not give a legit answer. I don't have 16 Wiis in my home, or 16 televisions.

This board is meant for more of the casual crowd. I never said the word "tournament" once thus far, and I don't know where some of you pick this word up. I could care less about that stripped down version of Smash Brothers.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
This board is meant for more of the casual crowd. I never said the word "tournament" once thus far, and I don't know where some of you pick this word up. I could care less about that stripped down version of Smash Brothers.
Good thing I've got fire insurance...

And could it be possible that Sakurai actually created 3-4 viable, not to mention usable control types for Brawl?

I could see using The nunchuk/Wiimote, but I'm just going to laugh if I start flicking the controller rapidly to perform combos.

Not to mention it'd probably be a bit funny to watch some 0% to death combo done with the Wiimote/Nunchuk

Zk Hammer

Smash Cadet
This is a great topic, great point. How much of a relief is it that you didn't get 3rd degree burns from raging flames?

Chexr

Smash Ace
Did you really just say this?

Sliq

Smash Master
Actually, I've tested controller lag on both the Gamecube controller and the wireless Wii controllers, and couldn't find any difference in lag. (I put my Wii and Gamecube side by side, and seperate televisions side by side, and put Twilight Princess in each. I pushed the "a" button simultaneously on each controller, and the reaction time on both systems was the same. I just tested this last night.)

As for interference, I could not give a legit answer. I don't have 16 Wiis in my home, or 16 televisions.
Touche. I had been thinking of it from a tournament setting, which, at a large tournament, will not be successful. If everyone at a small tournament (32) used the wiimote controls at the same time in a relatively enclosed space, there would be interference problems (inherent in the technology).

In your room playing with 3 other people should be no problem.

Now this pissed me off. **** you. Did you read the above? I was all calm and coolm because I thought, "Hey, this guy isn't being an intolerable prick, so I won't either."

This board isn't MEANT for either party, ******* who joined THIS MONTH and is telling me what this place is about. Learn your place new***.

Before Brawl was announced, this place was almost ENTIRELY competitive players. Then Brawl was announced and a huge wave of noob ***gots came and exploded the servers.

Right now, the Brawl boards are filled casuals, because no tournaments have happened yet, because the game isn't even out yet. But once it is, tournament players are going to pour into here. No one comes in here now, just because there isn't anything to discuss, and also because of all the new*** failure.

tl;dr

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
*Sigh* Wonderful, you've turned an discussion about control schemes into a casual vs. competitive issue with an single sentance.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I don't think I'll end up dropping the GC controller, but the wiimote/nunchuck is the only other set up that's actually worth a try... However, I know a lot of people who are going to be using the wiimote sideways come game night at my school... Particularly, the people who haven't played a video game since Pac-man and will just want to try the game for a while... :psycho:

(attempt to keep this topic on track)

NeuralScan

Smash Cadet
I can see myself getting used to the wiimote+nunchuck easily. Although I know Twilight Princess is a completely different style of game, the control scheme was very comfortable.

I've even picked up the controllers and tried imagining how it would work... it seems ok in my mind! :p

rove

Smash Apprentice
I know that most will disagree, but the Wiimote and nunchuck controls offer the best way to play.

-On a Gamecube controller, your thumb shifts to the "a" and "b" buttons, while with the Wiimote nunchuck setup, your thumb and your finger are covering these buttons all the time.

-Jumping will be easier, because you don't have to take your thumb off of the "a" or "b" buttons.

-Plus, the Wiimote and nunchuck setup is comfortable!

As you can see, the Wiimote and nunchuck offer more flexibilty than the Gamecube controller. We think the Gamecube is better, simply because we are so attached to it. The only downside I see to the Wiimote and nunchuck are the constant replacement of AA batteries. Good thing I have rechargeable ones!!!

I will now put on a flame shield.
wow you have a point there
I never thought of it that way.
Up till now, I always wanted to use the gamecube controller.
But now the first thing im going to do is try the wiimote nunchuk set:chuckle:

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
IMO it's to each his own.
I'm going to try out the GC and CC and whichever is best suited for me I'm using.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I've already tried both pretty extensively (I had no choice in case this upcoming Gamestop Tournament is in fact Wiimote/Nunchuck only, which the store manager wasn't completely sure about), and I have to say that I still favor the Gamecube controller.

My personal problems for the Wiimote/Nunchuck setup was the Shake smash replacing the C-stick function (even though Shake smash isn't bad at all, I simply didn't like the idea of having to flick my entire wrist instead of my thumb)... that's the only argument I'm making since even though the fact that the jump button and shield/B are all triggers now and tend to confuse me, they shouldn't pose an issue when I become better at using it.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
As I said before, I'll just stick with my GCN controller. The normal tournaments (the ones not hosted by game shops, but by players who want a competitive scene) will almost defiantly use GCN controllers over any wireless connection. The chance of interference is always an issue. Johns anyone? =/

While I think the Wiimote setup might be fun to try out, maybe even use on occasion with friends (kind of like trading controllers for the lulz to see how different you play) is fine, but I intend to use my good old GCN controller for being anything "good."

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
As I said before, I'll just stick with my GCN controller. The normal tournaments (the ones not hosted by game shops, but by players who want a competitive scene) will almost defiantly use GCN controllers over any wireless connection. The chance of interference is always an issue. Johns anyone? =/

While I think the Wiimote setup might be fun to try out, maybe even use on occasion with friends (kind of like trading controllers for the lulz to see how different you play) is fine, but I intend to use my good old GCN controller for being anything "good."
We did that with both Wiimote alone and Wiimote/Nunchuck early on just to see how it would fark with our play... surprisingly, not much once you get the buttons and their functions engraved into your mind.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The problem is the idea of as many as 16 of these things running on 8 Wiis at tournaments. Bluetooth is supposed to be awesome, but competitive players will not want to take the chance of losing a match because their Wiimote got confused.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
The problem is the idea of as many as 16 of these things running on 8 Wiis at tournaments. Bluetooth is supposed to be awesome, but competitive players will not want to take the chance of losing a match because their Wiimote got confused.
It seems that is the only real point against Wiimote+Nunchaku. Can anyone test it?

Koga

Smash Journeyman
i have a question though; does the wii-mote work like the c-stick in the air? i mean if you jump and shake the wiimote down will you preform a Dair?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
i have a question though; does the wii-mote work like the c-stick in the air? i mean if you jump and shake the wiimote down will you preform a Dair?
Hm, I know the wiimote+nunchuck has the wiimote shake-smash feature, but I'm not sure about the wiimote by itself (we didn't spend too much time on it)... I would guess no?

It's just that the wiimote setup by itself seems to be pretty minimalist (for instance, jumping has to be done with the control pad and there is only 1 shoulder button for shield), so I was thinking they wouldn't add in something like that.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I know the wiimote+nunchuck has the wiimote shake-smash feature, but I'm not sure about the wiimote by itself (we didn't spend too much time on it)... I would guess no?

It's just that the wiimote setup by itself seems to be pretty minimalist (for instance, jumping has to be done with the control pad and there is only 1 shoulder button for shield), so I was thinking they wouldn't add in something like that.

No "Shake Smash" option means no "Shake Smash" option.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
I meant with the Wiimote + Nunchuck control option if you shake the wiimote down when you jump will you preform your character's Dair?

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
I meant with the Wiimote + Nunchuck control option if you shake the wiimote down when you jump will you preform your character's Dair?
Yes it does. The accuracy of it could be better though. I've tested it a bit and it often does uair instead of dair, bair insted of fair and so on. Same with smashes.

The thing I found really, really annoying is that it's very hard not enter fast fall when doing nair with wiimote shake. If I shook too lighlty game often thought I was doing uair and with bigger shake fast fall was pretty much unavoidable. Of course it may not be such a big problem when you've actually learned to use shake smash effectively but I'm not going try. I've used GC controller with Smash for five years and don't see a single reason why I wouldn't in future also.

Does nobody do aerials with the C-stick here?
I did in Melee sometimes. Especially with uair and dair to avoid accidental fast falls or second jump uses. Not that much in Brawl anymore since you can turn analog jump off and C-stick can actually make you fast fall this time around which sucks hard time. Why the hell did they make such a change anyways? >_>

Top Bottom