• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii U is hackable - Will there be mods again?

Do you want a new Project M-kinda thing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Facepalm.

And this goes back to developers game vs what modders think it should be.
So what gives you the right to decide which half of the community should be able to enjoy the game? Especially when there's a possibility that both can enjoy it.

P.S. Sorry for double post...

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Hacking has happened to every system despite all efforts put into anti-hacking. The Wii U won't be any different.
It can be different. Nintendo can easily fend off the hackers, they have miiverse as a tool to gather information. I doubt they will let any hacks stay long before patching them.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
So what gives you the right to decide which half of the community should be able to enjoy the game? Especially when there's a possibility that both can enjoy it.

P.S. Sorry for double post...
I'm not deciding anything lol, where do you come up with these things?

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
It can be different. Nintendo can easily fend off the hackers, they have miiverse as a tool to gather information. I doubt they will let any hacks stay long before patching them.
But the hackers have the advantage there. Nintendo has to wait for hacks before they can make the patches to counter them, But the hacks will be able to exploit the system while Nintendo is working on the patch. and once the first hack is patched up, the hackers can go straight back to work on another one.

nessokman

Smash Lord
But the hackers have the advantage there. Nintendo has to wait for hacks before they can make the patches to counter them, But the hacks will be able to exploit the system while Nintendo is working on the patch. and once the first hack is patched up, the hackers can go straight back to work on another one.
and then nintendo will patch their new hacks. Don't you know how this cycle works? Apple was on it for jailbreaking for a while if I recall.

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
Also, I keep seeing stuff like this a lot recently. No offense (I really do mean that), but you guys do realize that they're going to make patches, right? I'm sure that if stuff like Pikachu and DeDeDe's infinite chain-grabs, and Meta Knight in general could be patched, they would've but they couldn't on the Wii. Now they can and Sakurai has stated that they will, if need be, many times. We don't have to rely on stuff like Brawl+ to "fix" the game for us, for lack of a better word.
Yeah, but how far does that extend? How much will they change? There are plenty of modern day games that continue to have balancing issues.

and then nintendo will patch their new hacks. Don't you know how this cycle works? Apple was on it for jailbreaking for a while if I recall.
Nintendo has always faultered with these kinds of exploits. I doubt the Wii U will be any different.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they don't support it.That doesn't counter my point of "If people can use an exploit/glitch/whatever to modify a game, they could use it to hack the console" .
They don't have to support it to have no interest in killing it. I'm sure if Nintendo had any real concerns about Project M specifically leading to more piracy and cheating it would have been shut down years ago. The project in itself is just not doing anything remotely malicious or damaging to their business.

Last edited:

Silent Hell

Smash Cadet
I still don't get the problem with having a Project M 2.0. And this whole community will split again is BS because what makes you think anyone will play a game they're unsatisfied with? So instead of splitting the community, you just have people abandoning it. Modding builds a community and strengthens it more than anything. Why else do you think they're allowing customizable moves?

If people want a Project M 2.0 let them have it. The people that want vanilla Sm4sh aren't being forced to play it are they?

RedCap-BlueSpikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedCapBlueSpikes
Yeah, but how far does that extend? How much will they change? There are plenty of modern day games that continue to have balancing issues.
We'll have to wait and see, but I definitely believe that they're going to make good on removing broken stuff like infinites, as well as buff/debuff characters that need changes accordingly. I doubt it'll ever get as in-depth as adding in entirely new mechanics/moves. Stuff like that'll probably be saved for DLC.

D

Deleted member

We don't need another Project M. Sora & Namco Bandai are trying there hardest to balance the game, and even then, it would require a lot of work to get to the point Brawl hacking is in now. At most, they could put in a texture (just texture, not model) hack or 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I don't want this game to be Melee 2.0, but if it was, I would be happy. I don't need to see L-Cancel or Wavedash, I only want to see a fast gameplay (less hitlag). I also want to see more hitstun, meaning more combos! And I want to see "normal fg" tech like dash dancing, jump canceling, crouch canceling, JC grab, etc. If the game lack any of these techniques, I would like to see a mod to fix this.

nessokman

Smash Lord
They don't have to support it to have no interest in killing it. I'm sure if Nintendo had any real concerns about Project M specifically leading to more piracy and cheating it would have been shut down years ago. The project in itself is just not doing anything remotely malicious or damaging to their business.
Project M itself doesn't cause more piracy and cheating. The exploit to install it certainly does.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739

Nintendo has always faultered with these kinds of exploits. I doubt the Wii U will be any different.
Will the Wii U get hacked? Yes without a doubt. BUT the real question is whether hackers will be able to make a modified game of Smash Wii U/3DS? That has a ZERO chance of happening.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Project M itself doesn't cause more piracy and cheating. The exploit to install it certainly does.
Which is exactly why they only give you the means to launch Project M. It's just a harmless mod on an aging system with a now defunct online network. It also happens to be a lots of fun, especially with this 3.0 release.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I have mixed feelings.

People HATED Brawl. At least, the compettive community.

So PM Makes them happy

and people are going to HATE Sm4sh.

I want the game to please both sides perfectly (which is what they're trying to do in the first place) on its own. I want Nintendo to have a (another) wonderful game under its belt.

But, I want a PM: 2.0 for the competitive scene.

Yet, I love how when I played it, it felt like a new game. I don't want it to feel the same as a 13 year old game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have mixed feelings.

People HATED Brawl. At least, the compettive community.

So PM Makes them happy

and people are going to HATE Sm4sh.

I want the game to please both sides perfectly (which is what they're trying to do in the first place) on its own. I want Nintendo to have a (another) wonderful game under its belt.

But, I want a PM: 2.0 for the competitive scene.

Yet, I love how when I played it, it felt like a new game. I don't want it to feel the same as a 13 year old game.
People find a way to hate everything, so this point doesn't really mean much.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Project M is gorgeous, but don't see the point of a Smash 4 M. I think Melee, Project M and SSB4 can coexist. If SSB4 is that bad, O think it would be better if they continue improving PM instead of porting everything.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm all for hacks and mods. I'm just not interested in having the gameplay changed.
Custom stages, characters, items, assist trophies and such? **** yeah.
But I'm mostly interested in this for the Mario Kart custom tracks. The Wii one were outstanding.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
If people want to make a PM2 they should. How dare anyone tell someone not to use their talent and creativity to make something they want to make. If you don't like mods don't play them, but for shame anyone who demands that someone not make something for themselves and others. I don't know what kind of person would try to take away someone else's enjoyment of something just because they don't enjoy it.

What you don't enjoy it so no one can? The way I see it there are only 2 options. You don't want them to enjoy it because either A: You are jealous you can't make a mod. or B: You don't like competitive players because you aren't at their skill level. (again jealousy) I find it incredibly angering, insulting and down right contemptible that anyone would try to deny people from making something (THAT DOESN'T HURT ANYONE) that so many people find fun and enjoyable.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
What moves is sakurai taking from PM? I haven't noticed any.
There have been more than a couple examples, unfortunately the only one that comes to mind right now is DK's dash attack (yeah, it's from DK Country, but for whatever reason it wasn't in any of the previous Smash games).

What? I'm always blunt like that.
EVERYONE should know of the bad hacks in brawl. Some include-
-Infinite Giga Bowser online
-Infinite Wario Man online
-Custom stages online (giant boxes where you can't die)
None of those are mods.

Infinite Giga Bowser - A cleverly edited Youtube video done for an April Fool's joke. Not real.
Infinite Wario Man - Looks like the poster is claiming they used a hacking tool called 'Ocarina,' which is a real thing. I wasn't able to determine whether this actually made it online or if the video was edited.
Custom cage stages - An exploit in the custom stage builder. No hack required, and it's very easy to do yourself.

You're talking about disruptions of service; we're talking about modifying a game to make an altered product. There is a huge difference, and it's perfectly fine to accept one without the other - but please, understand that P:M is a mod, and does not belong in the same category as the things you've listed.

I understand your concern though, which is why I'd like to remind you that P:M players, while using the same online service as Brawl, couldn't compete with or interfere with Brawl players (and still can't, even if you're using the alternate online service today... which is available because of hacks, by the way).

If your reasoning for hating P:M is because you fear for the fidelity of Nintendo's online service, I ask that you reevaluate your reasoning. P:M players are not cheaters (well, not most of us anyway).

Mods and those cheats sprout from the same methods. You can install the Hombrew channel on Wii the same way you install project M. I'm saying they go hand in hand. If you have a way like what you do to install project M, you WILL have people abuse it. Isn't it better to not have it then?
If that's the way you want to think of it, then look at it this way; Mods are the mature version of hacks (and vice versa). Hacks are like the wheat that go into your bread - a necessary ingredient that leads to the creation of something better.

If you really want to ban mods because their ingredients can be used for harm, then I suppose we should also ban fire, water, nuclear energy, sodium and chloride (necessary ingredients for salt, both of which are incredibly dangerous by themselves)... etc.

What it boils down to is this: Mods are not the problem. Hacks aren't even the problem. People are the problem.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
tbh it's just that if I had the money to spend, I rather put it into a PC because of the sheer amount of games and longevity they have. And idk, amazing nintendo games don't appeal to me as much as they used to.
Fixed. Nintendo has like two rehased games on their current library (New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Yoshi's New Island).
By that standard you wouldn't waste your money on a 3DS.
I was trying to defend the Wii U, but for the sake of it:
Highest-Rated 3DS Games
Highest-Rated Wii U Games
I realize not everyone knows me, but anyone that knows me knows that I would never even think about considering insulting the Wii U or any of Nintendo's machines because they're clearly the best on the market, no comparison.

I mean, costume music hacks and maybe texture hacks would be cool, but ONLY if they don't mess with the Nintendo magic, I really don't want to see Smash4 videos with 'Phazon Mario Destination' with a person using Morrigan Vs. Spiderman, with a Link Park song playing on the stage. I'd rather have a game updated by official sources from a developer who's clearly listening to feedback even though people manage to misunderstand and twist every word he says until it means what they want it to mean.
(I think Smash is, at heart, a party game)
(A perfectly balanced game isn't fun)

The PMBR should continue updating and enhancing Project M and leaving Smash 4 alone, although they seem to be doing just that, refusing from adding Smash4 characters to PM, and you know what? That's great! Because it'll stop PM from cannibalizing on Smash4's sales too much, I guess the PMBR DOES want Smash as a series to move forward. I know how good hacking can be, but I also know how bad it can be, I mean, picture Mario Kart 8's amazing graphic and art style and people making custom tracks for it that look like Mario Kart Wii's...would you like that?

I really don't think another PM will surface even if people want to make it, Nintendo has more tools againist hacking now, and I really feel like it's an insult to Sakurai, he's working his ass off on this game to make it as good as possible, and some people are looking forward to 'fixing' it already because they think he can't do good enough?

Celestis

Smash Ace
I just wish Console mods were as accessible as PC mods. Instead we have to go threw all this hacking and dealing with warranty voiding.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Warning Received
If sakurai still knew how to develop good games and please people who like good gameplay there wouldn't be a need for mods.

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
What divides the community is not the existence of different games, but the existence of different preferences.
Thank you for stating the obvious. I assumed that this was common knowledge.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This thread is full of new members who just joined a few weeks ago. Its amazing how threatened they feel by project m. Seems that competitive players aren't doin a good job of makin em feel welcome. They just want to fit in but lack the years of experience that most members here have. They don't want to go learnin wavedashin, l-cancelz techs and sh$# because they know they can wait til the next smash comes out and have a fresh beginning learning about the game with everybody else on an equal playing field.

But they fear that when the next game comes out, project m will remain dominant, and everyone will abandon them to play that old game with its old systems that people already have years of experience over them with. They'll be left out again. Even worse for kids who don't know how to download project m, lack access to a computer with an sd card slot, or live in europe where there isn't a compatible version of project m without hacking the wii.

They just wanna play with the big kids, but they want a fresh start in the form of smash 4 so they'll have less risk of falling behind.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I was talking about his more recent work. But whatever everyone knows melee doesn't :)
You sound incredibly biased against brawl, and like you hate sakurai for it. I hate to derail this thread further, but you do know Sakurai made brawl more casual on purpose?

It wasn't that he was aiming for Melee 2 and failed. It was that Nintendo was trying to use the Wii to gain a much larger casual audience, and so Sakurai had to make the new smash within those confines.

On topic - I think certain hacks - Camera zooming hacks for better screenshots, using areas not supposed to be multiplayer stages as multiplayer stages - 8 or more player fights, could be awesome.

But I agree with the general point of @ D-idara D-idara 's post, Before cannibalizing the game, give it some time to be learned. Sakurai is aiming more towards the competitive community this time around. You can love melee, you can love project M. Don't hate Sm4sh because it isn't one of those.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I was talking about his more recent work. But whatever everyone knows melee doesn't :)
You're trying to pass off an opinion for being fact, again, and you're further solidifing the idea that Melee fans are elitists that can't stand the idea that another SSB exists. You're hurting the overall image of Melee more then you're effecting the egos of Brawl players.

TLDR: You're making a fool of the Melee community.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
But why, not many of us even played the game yet, let alone the final version?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You're trying to pass off an opinion for being fact, again, and you're further solidifing the idea that Melee fans are elitists that can't stand the idea that another SSB exists. You're hurting the overall image of Melee more then you're effecting the egos of Brawl players.

The dude gets reported a lot for purposefully trying to get a reaction like that out of people (at least I hope that's what he's doing. It'd be pretty sad if he was serious). I was told to just ignore him.

But why, not many of us even played the game yet, let alone the final version?
I think the question is asking if people are open to the idea of this when the time comes.

I personally think if people want to play Project M they should play Project M and not waste the effort on trying to do it on the Wii U. Maybe many years down the line, but I don't think Project M U would be worth the effort.

Don't get me wrong. I love PM. I just think trying to do it on the Wii U is a waste of time considering all the security measures they're putting on it.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Then you should be more specific.

Because your blind hatred for Sakurai and bias is pretty blatant.

He didn't want a hyper technical game like Melee is again, he wanted a game that was easier to get into and play which is kind of the point of the smash bros series as is. It was the easy to get into answer for fighter like games. Melee in a way, failed in that regard.

Brawl in turn went too far in the opposite direction and had some obvious exploits due to the games seemingly rushed nature in some spots. Obvious grab exploits that people could find with in days.

I have nothing against Melee or PM, but I do not want L-canceling, Crouch Canceling, harder to grab ledges, my main being 180'd in design for PM back. I don't want less combo orientated game with some characters getting stupidly easy exploits. I don't want either games idea of having a character with no clear weaknesses and a bunch of jack of all trade strengths all around, spacies in melee, metaknight in Brawl.

A good mix in the middle is what I want, and based on what they have said and shown, Smash4 seems to be showing they have learned from both games and it's not like the developers don't care, they clearly know and care about how to help the competitive scene based on what the Nintendo reps have done.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Warning Received

Sorry I forgot people enjoy high level tripping.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Then you should be more specific.

Because your blind hatred for Sakurai and bias is pretty blatant.

He didn't want a hyper technical game like Melee is again, he wanted a game that was easier to get into and play which is kind of the point of the smash bros series as is. It was the easy to get into answer for fighter like games. Melee in a way, failed in that regard.

Brawl in turn went too far in the opposite direction and had some obvious exploits due to the games seemingly rushed nature in some spots. Obvious grab exploits that people could find with in days.

I have nothing against Melee or PM, but I do not want L-canceling, Crouch Canceling, harder to grab ledges, my main being 180'd in design for PM back. I don't want less combo orientated game with some characters getting stupidly easy exploits. I don't want either games idea of having a character with no clear weaknesses and a bunch of jack of all trade strengths all around, spacies in melee, metaknight in Brawl.

A good mix in the middle is what I want, and based on what they have said and shown, Smash4 seems to be showing they have learned from both games and it's not like the developers don't care, they clearly know and care about how to help the competitive scene based on what the Nintendo reps have done.
So you want brawl+ or brawlHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom