• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Classic Controller Pro

etecoon

Smash Hero
resolution as in your movement of the control stick is translated to numbers and those values are smaller and thus less precise, although I didn't think the classic controllers shoulder buttons were pressure sensitive so there should be no bit depth, just ON/OFF

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I played with the Classic Pro all tournament at Nope's and it's better to me than any GC controller I've ever played with before. However, I'm really really used to the PS set of controllers so using it is like second nature to me. I noticed personally (using Mario) that it's easier to do certain things on it, though it might just be that I had a ****ty GC controller too.

Only thing I'm iffy about is that switching from GC to Classic Pro has some touchy uptilt stuff but other than that, it's really solid. My setup: L1/R1 = Grab, L2/R2 = Sheild, X/A = Jump, Y = Special, B = Attack. Everything else is the same. It closely mirrors the GC layout with arguably a better B button.

All in all, I think it's really solid.

Zeratulfenix

Smash Rookie
GC controller is the only way to play... any other way and you arent playing smash the right way.
Only a sith deals in absolutes.

I got the CCpro for monster hunter, and its pretty much a PS controller :S
Its awesome how you have two extra buttons on the shoulders (because of the brawl controller settings) but the thumb-button layout on the GCc is useful as well.

Technically, you could set attack, special, dodge, and jump to the shoulder buttons on the CCpro and dedicate your thumbs to the sticks o.O but you wouldnt want to try that... would you?

ThePika

Smash Rookie
Thanks everybody for your imput. The one thing that was holding me back was the forced usage of the control sticks to move (I use wiimote, not sure if it will feel right). But just now, I realized the classic pro has a d-pad also! (duh). Plus I can use the control sticks for fancy combos. So, I have decided to purchase the Wii Classic Controller Pro. BUT...

It comes in both black and white! Which should I get??

Black: Pros: cool looking, abxy buttons look hot
Cons: smudge-prone?

White:pros: all my other wii stuff is white, looks nice
Cons: not a destinct, controll sticks change color because of resedue on fingers and stand out because the rest of the controller is white

So, in conclusion, which is worse? Smudges or yellow-ish toned control sticks.

(don't hate. We all know they change color. Cmon people. Even the dpad on my wiimote is slighty altered color)

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Anyone who says the Classic Controller doesn't see tournament play has never been in Alabama. I can think of about ten people from around here who made the switch from the Gamecube Controller and love it. The reasons are the same: the controller is smaller (making it easier to reach buttons) and the extra trigger button is very helpful. I'm still partial to the GC controller, if only because I know it best. I have never seen anyone use the Wiichuck in a tournament around here, and while the GC controller still dominates, the Classic takes up a good share of the controllers in our tournament scene.

As for the CCPro, most of the people I know that play with the Classic aren't getting it because they're used to not having the grips :laugh:

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Two questions, please.

One: Why are wireless controllers banned in tournament legals?

Two: If I'm trying to learn a GC controller from scratch (switching from Wiimote ONLY), should I relearn my main or is there an easier character to learn from?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Two questions, please.

One: Why are wireless controllers banned in tournament legals?

Two: If I'm trying to learn a GC controller from scratch (switching from Wiimote ONLY), should I relearn my main or is there an easier character to learn from?
1. They might mess with bluetooth stuff at the tournament.

2. Meta Knight.

Also, quite honestly, I hate the classic controller. Sure, the overall size is smaller, but the buttons themselves are spaced MUCH farther apart! In theory, this makes it much less efficient than the GC controller, even with that one extra button which quite honestly wouldn't even be needed in the first place.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
1. They might mess with bluetooth stuff at the tournament.

2. Meta Knight.

Also, quite honestly, I hate the classic controller. Sure, the overall size is smaller, but the buttons themselves are spaced MUCH farther apart! In theory, this makes it much less efficient than the GC controller, even with that one extra button which quite honestly wouldn't even be needed in the first place.
Bluetooth? Wow.

Meta Knight. Hmm...I'm trading range and projectiles for massive priority and speed. It's a VERY different playstyle from Link, but, what the hell. Thanks! BTW, cool signature.

ThePika

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I actually just bought a wii classic controller pro and I like it so far. I had to switch the button layout around dramatically (a is jump, b is atk, x is special) but now I think it works. I love being able to uptilt. The controll stick will take time to get used to.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Playing from Classic Controller to Classic Controller Pro and I have to say it plays different to me. I changed my ZL to shield to make it feel conformable to me. Since I mostly use ZR to grab, it feels fine, much better than the old Classic Controller. ♥

ludvigpasse

Smash Cadet
Why is the wiimote+nunchuck illegal at smash tournies? Thats rasism man:(

--Wii mote+nunchuck user---

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ The Wiimote controllers shouldn't be ban in most Smash tournaments unless it's a tournament that specially ban wireless controllers. Or do you mean they ban just the Wiimote & Nunchuck? ♥

NCdabess

Smash Cadet
just picked up a black classic pro...will edit in results after i get used to the new controls...would you recommend default controls?which works best for you?

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Due to the place I was at lacking another GC Controller, I had to use a normal Classic Controller for Brawl. It honestly wasn't that bad, though I wasn't particularly good (not that I am now) nor serious at the time. I did notice that the control sticks were looser, and that my hands were cramped (though the latter probably has to do with the fact that there were no handles). I figure the Pro would be a decent way to play, especially if you hate the GC controller (which seems odd to me).

Also, if my interpretation is correct, "8-bit" for controls means that the stick/buttons can recognize 256 different inputs. "5-bit" and "6-bit" would be 32 and 64 inputs, respectively.

NCdabess

Smash Cadet
i used it for a full day and i have a question: when should i be using the c-stick? i guess i used to a+direction to smash and i do aerials with the a+direction buttons so i just wanted to know how i should be using the c-stick so its most effective...

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
My classic controllers (not pro) all have loose joysticks and do that thing where the cursor moves without you touching it... really sensitive and loose, to the point that I can't play... I'm going soon to get a black CCP to go with my Wiimote and Nunchuck, but I'm worried that it will have the same analog problems... any help?

Ramesses 11

Smash Rookie
My GCC broke and so I switched to my classic controller. I found out that the classic controller is not even that bad at playing smash with, because once I remembered the rhythm of how I played with my GCC I was practically doing the same thing with it.

The truth is that yes the analog sticks are quite loose, but if you try to have a stable thumb this disadvantage occurs much less as you carry on using it. It's all about the effort you put into playing with the controller and adjusting to it. In my opinion you have to put a lot more work into smash with the classic controller or pro than the Game Cube Controller, but once you start pawning guys that use the GCC you start to feel much better. LOL.

But yes I have to say, the Game Cube Controller is by far the best with smash. I see that you can input maneuvers much more quicker and efficiently with it than the classic controller. I have to work much harder to do these maneuvers with the classic controller, but that doesn't bother me.

Xexy

Smash Rookie
i learned how to play brawl on a classic controller and a few months ago switched to a classic controller pro (i did it the day they came out without meaning to lol) and when i try to use a gcc im TERRIBLE, i cant input things nearly as fast, and just overall have less control of my charicter because of the awkward feel of the controller.

i love my ccp and would never switch to a gcc, in my mind the ccp is much better, but thats probably just because i learned how to play on it

i think that the gcc and ccp are equal as far as skill potential goes, its all preference

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wow, major necro.

i learned how to play brawl on a classic controller and a few months ago switched to a classic controller pro (i did it the day they came out without meaning to lol) and when i try to use a gcc im TERRIBLE, i cant input things nearly as fast, and just overall have less control of my charicter because of the awkward feel of the controller.

i love my ccp and would never switch to a gcc, in my mind the ccp is much better, but thats probably just because i learned how to play on it

i think that the gcc and ccp are equal as far as skill potential goes, its all preference
It's called muscle memory. You're mind is essentially programmed to know where the buttons are.

Most people who originally played Melee will tend to be more comfortable with GCC because that is what they're used to. So of course GCC will seem better to them.

I am personally more comfortable with the CCPro. Why? Grips, well placed shoulder buttons, abyx are nicely spaced, control stick is where it should be, and the C-Stick is a proper stick. I'm also used to it. The GCC feels awkward and too small in my hands.

Top Bottom