• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi Viability

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Yes yes yes, we all know the old "Wifi sucks" bull**** we constantly hear. And yes, it's very much true. Yet, we have still neglected it as a viable way of competitive playing.

Wifi has become one of our most avid contributors to our so-called top players, excluding M2K; Ally, ADHD, Seibrik (at one point), Y.B.M., MikeHaze (IIRC), SK92, CO18, Reflex, Atomsk, Junebug, Shugo, and AZ have all been brought forth from wifi. And they haul *** constantly.

I need to put more here, but I'm about to switch periods at school, so I'll finish this when I get to my house.

I had this in Tactical for a reason, but it was moved.

Discuss.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Judge played quite a bit of wifi before playing offline, and I'm pretty sure Ksizzle played a lot of it as well at some point (IIRC I used to see him around a lot on AIB). Add HolyNightmare as well.

BSP

Smash Legend
I don't think wifi should be put down constantly. Like you said, there are a good amount of players that came up from wifi. At the least, it gives you practice and MU experience.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
If you play people local to you, or just people who you get the least amount of lag with in general, then it is by all means viable. Sure, it isn't as good as offline, but the ability/convenience to play people at almost any given time helps a lot.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The only truely Legit online is Japanese online.

I hear that in Japan nothing short of torrent downloading will cause Brawl's Wifi to lag. Not sure how true it is though.

Browny

Smash Hater
Wifi is great for practising and its nothing short of delusional for people who argue against it entirely, which unsurprisingly are the same people who have never actually played vs good players online.

The worst argument against wifi I hear often though is all too common and makes me physically sick; how everyone plays better offline, thus playing on wifi makes everyone worse. The #1 misconception about wifi is how its all about spamming and the people who hate it simply say everyone spams. Heres the problem though; if I play that exact same spammer offline, would it be any different?

I believe its quite simple. People who spam mindlessly on wifi will also spam mindlessly offline. Playing against them in either situation will not make you get better at the game. People who play properly offline and actually do well in tournaments play properly online and its a far better experience which everyone can learn a lot from. All I ever hear for complaints about wifi is how it makes everyone worse and how it reduces them to spamming idiots. So I put out challenges to people; play the exact same way you do offline, versus GOOD PEOPLE ONLY WHO HAVE THE SAME MENTALITY, and then tell me wifi is still bad.

Breaking that initial superiority complex of the good players against wifi is hard and takes a lot of time, but the end result is always the same; another good player will use wifi and help everyone else learn matchups etc. They may deny it now, but I can safely say over my 2 years of wifi experience, everyone gives in eventually once they experience wifi against good players (except those with legitimate internet issues) and the brawl playing world is better for it.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Wifi is a legitimate practice ground for some people, and not so much for others. Simple as that.

I've had some valuable experiences from wifi while playing the good players on it, but overall most of my learning experiences and improvement have come from my frequent offline tournament attendance.

I guess just do what works for you.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
I had it in Tactical for a reason. I never did get to say why it should be under tactical discussion in the first place.

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
It's all about the ladder. Serin I like how you didn't mention me, but it's fine.

Top Bottom