• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi Regulars Tournament - Round 4

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Just for clarification.

I may have sounded a bit "sketchy" in my previous post, but it was all in a serious matter. =p

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I got a new modem and now I can use my own connection. Now I don't have to use some connection that made me take over an hour to make a single post...

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
Me and fourths battle tommorow. can someone spectate to record our match and post it on youtube.

zmx

Smash Lord
Me and fourths battle tommorow. can someone spectate to record our match and post it on youtube.
You can spectate an online match that isn't a random free for all? How?

Also though I haven't faced either of you in a while I think it's safe to say you are both of pretty similar skill. It should be a good set unless someone chokes.

If you want to make sure they are recorded you should save the replays.

zmx

Smash Lord
DACUS isn't the only use for C-stick, Zulo. I use the stick for a great deal of things, mainly aerials.:applejack:

Sorry to hear that, DB, hope you can get another controller soon.
Aerials? I don't understand. You use a GC controller with tap jump off correct? So wouldn't it be uncomfortable to quickly move yout right hand from the jump button to the C-Stick every time you want to do an aerial especially if you want to do it instantly?

I am using a classic controller now so I can afford to use the second analog for aerials from time to time, especially for dairs since I can just slide my thumb from y to the analog. But I could never do that effectively when using the GC controller.

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
You can spectate an online match that isn't a random free for all? How?

Also though I haven't faced either of you in a while I think it's safe to say you are both of pretty similar skill. It should be a good set unless someone chokes.

If you want to make sure they are recorded you should save the replays.
You into a free for all, sd all your stocks, grab popcorn and enjoy.
I actually can record replays but i don't have a 2GB anymore so and i cant back up my 4gb into my laptop so if i get a new one, i'd have to start from scratch.

Aerials? I don't understand. You use a GC controller with tap jump off correct? So wouldn't it be uncomfortable to quickly move you left hand to the C-Stick every time you want to do an aerial especially if you want to do it instantly?

I am using a classic controller now so I can afford to use the second analog for aerials from time to time, especially for dairs since I can just slide my thumb from y to the analog. But I could never do that effectively when using the GC controller.
I used to do tap jump but my mentor advised my to switch but when i used to tap jump, using the cstick for aerials was very easy, and i had alot of movement with my aerials.

zmx

Smash Lord
^Do you realize further lag is caused even if the third person dies because he's still connected to the match? I would NEVER let someone spectate my match if that's how they would do it. Why would I handicap myself just so the match could get recorded? Doesn't seem worth the risk. Especially with Ike as one accidental buffered aerial and it's an SD offstage.

And I'm confused. So you have tap jump off now? Then how will you use the c-stick as effectively while using the jump button? And who's your mentor btw? I was under the impression all mentors didn't follow through anyways.

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
ussi is my mentor, he uses tap off. As of now, i have no idea on how to utilize my aerials so i probably won't use it.

There was never a problem when dyclone, zulo or capt kirby did it. I'm not a lag expert so i don't know all the reasons for lag.

Zulo

Smash Ace
Yeah, adding a third person does cause lag. I would test how laggy the connection is with three people before actually starting your matches.

And most of the pros tend to like tap off, but I prefer it on. Then again, I also prefer standard wiimote controls and no cstick so don't take my advice.

zmx

Smash Lord
It's pretty easy actually. Just use the analog stick(movement stick, not the stick) with the a button (attack button) to use aerials. That's what I always do as Ike and every other character for the most part. I find it weird that you'd rely so heavily on the c-stick in the first place for aerials, especially for ike.

But yeah if you aren't used to using the jump button you should probably stick to what you're used to for your match. I find it nightmarishly hard to short hop with the analog stick though but that's probably just me.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Aerials? I don't understand. You use a GC controller with tap jump off correct?
No, I do not. Is TJ off really becoming that frequent in control schemes? Eh.:applejack:

So wouldn't it be uncomfortable to quickly move yout right hand from the jump button to the C-Stick every time you want to do an aerial especially if you want to do it instantly?
I cannot really speak for myself, since I do not use TJ off, but 4GOD uses C-stick to perform aerials with utter ease on TJ off (he plays as King Dedede). I do not get how he manages to do it. If it's uncomfortable at all, it isn't for a select few who prefer it; so ultimately, it boils down to preference, honestly. There were other uses that I did not feel like mentioning, like buffering Ike's dash attack, which Beast stated earlier.:applejack:

But I could never do that effectively when using the GC controller.
That's still preference, to what I savvy. Just do what you feel is best, and meets your comfort criteria.:applejack:

I use the A button for jabs, and seldom anything else. Trying to maneuver with aerials by using A is ghastly for me.

zmx

Smash Lord
Yeah I sometimes use the c-stick for buffering dash attacks. It's quite effective with falco and ZSS.
But my primary use for it is still mostly DACUS or regular sliding charged upsmashes.

Anyways just to clarify, you have tap jump on so you use the jump buttons to jump correct? Especially for short hops?

Edit: Now that I thought about it for me it's like this: When I want to do an instant aerial after jumping I'll use the attack button unless it's for DAIR. But if I have a lot of time I'll use the c-stick sometimes especially for bair.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Yeah I sometimes use the c-stick for buffering dash attacks. It's quite effective with falco and ZSS.
I hear that.:applejack:

Anyways just to clarify, you have tap jump on but you use the jump buttons to jump correct?
Well, more or less. I do not use them as my default method of jumping, as I have Y set to shield, and X is still jump. I use X when I want to full-hop rising Needle with Sheik, full-hop or SH-FF-DJ Bair with Ike (I have some incomprehensible mixes, I know), and a lot more, where I feel that using the control stick to jump would feel too... restrictive. In the instances that I use an aerial whilst jumping with X, I use the A button for my aerial, unless I act impetuously and do something impromptu, with zero thought beforehand.:applejack:

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
This may seem rather sudden, but I actually feel like playing. Anyone wanna "tournament friendly" with me to help me unrust some (and I call it a tournament friendly so it feels appropriate asking in here)?

zmx

Smash Lord
This may seem rather sudden, but I actually feel like playing. Anyone wanna "tournament friendly" with me to help me unrust some (and I call it a tournament friendly so it feels appropriate asking in here)?
Hmmm I guess I can play for a bit.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I would play, but mother is asleep, currently.:applejack:

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
my only problem was utilt and DI as i would always jump when i do. Shorthopping is easy too but i doesn't matter. Now i need to find out how to retreat fairs and bairs.

Too many posts went by now this post looks out of place, lol

zmx

Smash Lord
All right, GG's, Zmx. 'Twas some fun matches. xD
Yeah and for the most part it was smooth. I'm pretty salty about the last match though. Out of all the matches that could've been uber laggy it had to be the one where I use my best character. Sigh, I could barely do anything I wanted. I messed up reversals, pivot grabs etc. so many times. Granted you still seem to have my snake's number (I'm pretty bad at the MU in general) but it would have been a far closer match. And I could tell you hate MK lol.

But apart from that last game those games were really fun. I can't believe I beat you with ike. Buffering his turn around jab works wonders. And you seems to have problems with wario. Still very good kirby though.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
Yeah and for the most part it was smooth. I'm pretty salty about the last match though. Out of all the matches that could've been uber laggy it had to be the one where I use my best character. Sigh, I could barely do anything I wanted. I messed up reversals, pivot grabs etc. so many times. Granted you still seem to have my snake's number (I'm pretty bad at the MU in general) but it would have been a far closer match. And I could tell you hate MK lol.

But apart from that last game those games were really fun. I can't believe I beat you with ike. Buffering his turn around jab works wonders. And you seems to have problems with wario. Still very good kirby though.
Yeah, I noticed it got pretty laggy at the last match. And yes, I quite do... Lol.

Yeah, well, I haven't played the game in a while, so I was a bit rusty. I felt like I was doing terrible the majority of those matches, honestly, especially with some of my other characters. This was some good practice to helping me step my game again, though. And Wario's actually not too tough for me. I guess just wasn't grasping your play style with him. Lol. And thanks, same to your Snake (I can tell you've gotten a lot better with him, despite the lag).

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Alright it looks like it's me vs Beast now. I might be able to play tonight if my mom gives me my wii back.

Any advice from anyone whether I should go MK/Snake or Kirby?

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
We didn't play our best. Thats all im going to say.

Retro, why would you go MK.

Let the ****er die already

Capt kirby forfeited zulo, he should be in the losers bracket

zmx

Smash Lord
Alright it looks like it's me vs Beast now. I might be able to play tonight if my mom gives me my wii back.

Any advice from anyone whether I should go MK/Snake or Kirby?
It really depends on a lot of things including who you are good with most. Haven't played you ever so I couldn't know that.

However going by the MU chart MK certainly seems to be your best bet as long as lag doesn't screw you over (I've lost track of how many times I went in to punish Ike's smashes and ended up getting hit myself due to random lag). MK is extremely light so you WILL die really early with bad DI if you get hit by any of his smashes.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
actually i'm playing 4th now. you can still join if you want to watch or maybe we could alternate/ffa

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
hm i didn't add you either what's your real fc? (cause the one under your avatar is invalid)

oh and 4th left so you can fight me now

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
Retro I would go with snake if I were you, this is based on the assumption that you can break ikes jab cancel with your own jab. Plus the camping abilities, and like it was mentioned you do not want lag to screw your timing and get smashed early.

:phone:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It really depends on a lot of things including who you are good with most. Haven't played you ever so I couldn't know that.

However going by the MU chart MK certainly seems to be your best bet as long as lag doesn't screw you over
MK is Ike's worst MU, and I find it easier to cope with MK than Kirby or Snake while playing Ike.:applejack:

Retro I would go with snake if I were you, this is based on the assumption that you can break ikes jab cancel with your own jab.
...What? An unsubstantiated assumption, but while Ike is jab canceling, the opponent is generally in the air. If you hit A in attempt for jab, you're probably just going to do the first hit of Nair. I'd suggest pulling a grenade before trying that.:applejack:

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Alright I just won 2-1 against beast using MK, so I guess I made the right choice. Apparently he was surprised at my FD counter pick but that's the only stage I can handle XD

Also dyclone was right, fsmash is a very good move

Zulo

Smash Ace
Alright. Given DaBeast will back that up, the next match that needs to be done is Darktoon vs Dyclone. You will play the winner of that match.

Top Bottom