• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wichita, KS Brawl Bi-Weeklies *2nd Season*

Depster

Smash Champion
Crap... false alarm... I've been told not till I'm 18... I'm 16... But I'm thinking about trying to throw a tourney here and maybe disguise it as a fundraiser =p

BoJangles

Smash Journeyman
Double posties, but it's been a while. :p

Thanks for the games tonight, and thanks to Cameron for hosting yet again. Sorry I left in such a hurry; I wasn't upset, I just told my roommates that I'd be back at 9PM to do stuff. I'll probably see you all on Wednesday, but if not: good luck at Oh Snap! Wish I could go!

Holms

Smash Ace
Wow, I thought this thread was dead, lol

Are we ever going to play around with Brawl+ before the bi-weeklies start?

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Hacks will not be legal Steeler, I know you love it but you might as well stay used to playing with it, no one else is going to give PT some special treatment XD

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's not PT

it's just making it so you play as one pokemon. if zelda/sheik had some kind of similar mechanic, i'd say allow them to be used individually as well. hell if it were possible to make zamus/samus able to transform a la sheilda, that'd be fine (although samus would be to zamus like ivy would be to pt). just gives the metagame more viable characters that are already in the game. i know the argument "bla bla bla that's not how the game was made, they are intended to be used together".

but ****'s whack. what's wrong with using a character that's already in the game? it's only good for the brawl metagame, adds two viable tourney characters into the mix. any of you could now pick up squirtle or charizard.

**** ivysaur

i'm of the mindset that pokemon trainer isn't a character in this game...because he's not. it's just the title for squirtle/ivysaur/charizard, three separate characters, tied together with some faulty mechanic. the only thing you could claim is "wrong" with separating them is the means to do it. but again, my mindset is that the means don't mean much if the end is better for brawl. that's kind of opinionated but unlike hitstun or wavedashing or l-canceling, i don't see how anyone could be opposed to the end result of making a few characters individually viable in tourney when they are already in the game. hitstun/wavedashing/l-canceling are not in the game. that's the difference, imo.

it also doesn't change the way the game is played for those who don't play these characters, just makes it so a matchup you'd see roughly a 1/3rd of the time (rarely at that) is now slightly more common.

pt itself would still have a use, the current system does better against characters like snake or dedede than any of the three individually, imo.

i'm inspired to make a topic on this in tactical discussion, but the issue of hacking itself is the only real problem i could see with this.

Holms

Smash Ace
That's just it, though: it's PT, not Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. They're supposed to work with each other. Yes, it's somewhat disappointing that you're forced to switch or else make the matches much harder for yourself, but seriously, there are already two ways to get around this without hacking: 1. Send your opponent offscreen and change (and though this would be tougher with teams, you still have a teammate); 2. Learn to use all three of them effectively. Would PT players complain if they could use Ivysaur like they use the other two? Probably not. So the problem with making it so you play one pokemon would be that you're changing the way a character, in this case PT (not Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), or any others (Sheilda and Zamus), were designed to be played.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
PT is not a playable character. You play as Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard in a set switch order with weaker attacks after a minute or two of battling.

look, playing the "this is how they are designed to function, now do it" argument does not work because using all three equally simply does not work in practice.

matchups get in the way, where often one character is just *****. usually this is squirtle with a dumb grab release or ivysaur being exceptionally easy to gimp. why bother trying the "TEAMWORK, WORK TOGETHER" tactic when you get punished for it? doesn't matter how good an ivysaur you are, meta knight will **** you up and falco will camp the **** out of you. doesn't matter how good your squirtle is, one grab equals death at 30-40% after an inescapable grab release. and since you have fatigue on your back, the opponent can just gay your timer out and make you approach to just get that one grab in.

switching itself and fatigue are completely counter-intuitive. fatigue makes me want to switch but switching is slow enough that i don't want to? and maybe bringing the next pokemon out will make me lose a stock because it gets owned? i get punished either way. wtf?

even if all three of your pokemon are pro-status, you will quite often find yourself relying heavily on one pokemon for certain matchups. and that's completely against the way that it is "designed to be played".

you can just play against the design but then you are already at a disadvantage. you can play with the design but you'll be at a disadvantage if one of your pokemon does poorly in that matchup or you can't switch as much as you need to. the pokemon trainer mechanic was designed very poorly. giving you the ability to be three characters in a match is supposed to help you, not make you low tier. :\ which is sad because both squirtle and charizard are much better than that. just shows you how bad the pokemon trainer mechanics are.

yes, i accept it because i don't have to play pokemon trainer. or i have an idea. i can just use hacks to play characters that are already in the game, free of faulty gimmicks. just because it's designed a certain way shouldn't mean we have to accept it, since we have the tools to change it to make it better for all involved (unlike hitstun, l-cancel, etc.). how does allowing these hacks make the metagame worse for me, or you, or anyone in tournament? gives you three more character options to play as, none of which are game-breaking or anything of the sort.

rock smash, however, is game-breaking. as well as rock-breaking. and stock-breaking.

even if the pokemon actually got an attack boost the longer they were out (like lucario's aura boost, which lucario does not have in the pokemon games and squirtle/ivysaur/charizard all, ironically, do) then i'd be pushing for playing each pokemon individually. you should have that option available to you. that or you can just ask your opponent to let you switch twice when you die. same difference.

Holms

Smash Ace
Well then why not just ask your opponent to let you switch twice when you die? Probably because they know that gives you a slight advantage, albeit very minimal. And, as you say, "same difference," playing each pokemon individually gives you a slight advantage, albeit very minimal. Essentially, pushing for a hack like that to be allowed in a tournament setting gives one, or three since people want to refer to PT as Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, an advantage, and any advantage given to one character should be given to the others as well, but as we all know, that's not really possible, hence it's not really fair. Just because some character has crappy mechanics doesn't mean we should give him/them special treatment, because in that case, Falcon needs to be given hitstun in his attack, Link needs more recovery, and everyone who uses tether recoveries need a 100% success rate (speaking of which, Ivysaur's tether isn't crappy!).

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
that's changing the properties of the character's attacks themselves.

this is making so after a minute they don't get tired and don't switch. it isn't changing charizard, squirtle, or ivysaur individually at all. just the whole "pt mechanics" deal. comparing no fatigue pokemon to falcon with hitstun is a flawed argument. pokemon doesn't have fatigue until the pose starts. this is ALREADY in the game. falcon with hitstun is not already in the game.

it's the best tether but the fact that it's a tether means its a bad recovery.

also i'd totally be for buffing the ****ty characters. they still wouldn't be that good anyway...but it's more complicated than just taking fatigue and death switch off. because you are messing with the actual character and trying to modify something, like link's up b. taking something out is much much much easier than modifying it, i'd imagine. that's another difference between the pt hacks and your examples.

Holms

Smash Ace
also i'd totally be for buffing the ****ty characters. they still wouldn't be that good anyway...but it's more complicated than just taking fatigue and death switch off. because you are messing with the actual character and trying to modify something, like link's up b. taking something out is much much much easier than modifying it, i'd imagine. that's another difference between the pt hacks and your examples.
So it's okay to buff PT's pokemon but no one else just because his fatigue mechanics make him harder to play? And for a less flawed argument, how about Lucario? I thought he was an awesome character until I learned that his strength decreases when he's winning. We should turn that off too, right? :dizzy:

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
Here's an idea. Go make a topic. Call it: "I want to complain about Pokemon Trainer and I think the hack for him should be legal" Then we won't have to have it here.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
if you are winning then...you are winning lol. just be gay and camp people. the whole aura boost makes lucario a lot better than he would be otherwise.

i think it's okay to be able to main just one pokemon, people should just have that option. it's a good thing.

often PT as it is does better than any solo Poke anyway, so you'd still be a lot better off if you actually play PT and not just one of them. you really aren't "buffing" anyone, just giving people 3 more choices. i just think solo option should be available. :\

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
How do you guys feel about putting up flyers for these things this time? I and whoever else wants to help could poster up the WSU dorms.

Blargy

Smash Journeyman
btw i would love to go just have to get my bro to take me ^^ (and hope my parents let me)

i guess i can spread the word at my school

Cook

Smash Master
So is Wichita able to reschedule this so that both Wichita and St. Louis can make it to Kirksville on 1/31?

Cook

Smash Master
Sorry ASC I can't reschedule because of our future tournament schedule
Well, are you guys planning on doing one 2/14 as well, because that is also a good day for me to use. You wouldn't have to reschedule, you could just cancel it and come to Kirksville instead :)! After all, you'll be having NO KOAST the next weekend anyway, right?

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
I guess I'll be bringing my setup to this for everything including Brawl+; I won't have a TV though.

Will someone be able to provide a TV for my fabulous Wii setup?

Sonic24

Smash Apprentice
okay im new to this thing and im from wichita also so like wat exactly is this thing?

Top Bottom