• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
well really people have lots of weekend plans so having time on thursdays is more consistent for the most part. If this isn't really true we can move but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

we get new players every couple weeks and they just fit right in even though it's at a residence. We used to do them at a university building but it ended up being more work and had some problems. We do lose out on walk-ins but none of em ever stuck around for more than 2 fests.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'll just watch the boards for smashfests and drive up when I can get off work. How late do they usually go? Having enough sleep for work the next day is an issue, especially if it takes an hour to drive home.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
somewhere between 10 and midnight with people coming and going the whole time. If you PM me your number I can text you when we have em, although we do them pretty much every thursday.

Dr Insaniack

Smash Cadet
Dire, everything these guys have said is right, and you are too. its hard to just show up, but they are good guys and dont feel weird about it. dive in give it a shot. of you dont like it or dont have time dont feel pressured, but dont just skip out for nothing, its actually an experience on its own.

i've been busy as heck and mad at myself for not being able to make it up (to mad town)

(on a very side note. i have a crappy schedule and sundays are better. but that ONLY me)

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I've also been trying to get into the WI scene for Melee and Project M, but I don't really know how to "break in". Everyone seems to already know each other, and smashfests are held at friends houses. With something like Magic The Gathering, I could just look up the local card shop and head over there. It's a public space designed to welcome new players. But homes aren't like clubs. They're not public places. I feel super weird asking to just show up at the house of some guy I've never met with a bunch of people I've never met. It's like asking to be a part of the family, and families are pretty tight groups. You can't just step into that. It also doesn't help that I'm like an hour drive from all the major areas (Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago).
Just show up

Last edited:

Mundungu

Smash Lord
We have been playing a lot on Friday nights too, but the place we play at is pretty crowded (its a mix of smash and marvel / street fighter players). I could play on Saturdays sometimes too if people are interested, just not on a consistent basis.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's really not weird in the smash scene to just go to random people's houses. We're friendly. :)

And as for why smash is on Thursdays and not on weekends, a lot of us have things going on and places to be most weekends, where as nights after work are smaller blocks of time where you can't do anything big.

PS. Diredrop - if you're an MtG player bring some standard/edh decks and let me know to bring some and I'll play you, also a group of us (mostly smashers) cube at my house most Wednesday nights.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Well that's it then. You've all convinced me. I'm afraid I'm too busy tomorrow, but I'll plan on making a trip to Madison next week Thursday, if there is a fest. These things are always BYOC right?

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
So Um.... anyone wanna play PM or melee or both this weekend? I'll be pretty much stuck in Amherst, WI unless someone can pick me up Friday or Saturday and bring me back Sunday night. I'll pay for gas. I just wanna get away from work for the weekend and I have no way to do that unless someone pulls through for me. Text me if you guys are interested. my number is 615-939-9094. That will pretty much be the only way to get in touch with me after tonight until friday when I get to Amherst.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Do the Madison guys use Smashboards to organize anymore? I know the Milwaukee people use mostly Facebook now. I don't expect to be able to get out to Madison very often, but I'd like to know where everything gets organized in case I have the chance.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Yeah we still use this. We still play every Thursday night, and most Friday nights.

KO Kingpin, you are 2 hours away from Madison, so probably no luck playing us. I don't know if anyone still plays around the fox cities area, maybe Iateyourpie.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
We play on the west side by the mall. Friday nights are all fighting games, and smash tends to be a bit smaller. It's pretty cramped, but we can fit you in if you want to show up. We typically play from 6:00 - midnight, and go to Rocky's Pizza at some point for food.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
That sounds awesome. I'll try to make it out sometime, but probably not tomorrow. There's already something going on in Milwaukee and I can only spare time (and gas money) for so much.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
you know I may just be able to make it out there. I'll see if I can get a ride there. Do you mind PMing me the address and someone's number.

Dr Insaniack

Smash Cadet
I work for a moving company in Monroe. We have collected several old TV's and this Saturday we are taking them to be recycled. I just thought I would let you guys have dibs if anyone wants a TV. If you need another, a bigger TV, smaller one, whatever. Just let me know and I can save it for you and you can have it.

Top Bottom