• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
it's in union south so they won't tell us until 1 week before. I put down a minimum space requirement but you probably know better how that stuff really works at the union than me

Mundungu

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter to me what stream we use. I just want some recorded NBA Jam.

I will prob upload vids to youtube after the tournament. I'm pretty sure you can get those from any twitch acct, but idk. If that's an issue, I might have to think about it if that's the case.

Is your twitch on the teamsmash list?

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Is that Sanchaz's sister?

There are going to be so many ghosts, cold hands, sweaty palms, sun in the eyes, and attractive men in peripheral visions.

^You should see my half-brother. He's just starting out, but the guy will have a mean IC in a little while. Focusing on nothing except wobbling.
I'll team if you want to learn it, I'm not going to win any tournaments anyways.
That line of thinking stops you before you even enter the tournament ;p

MSG

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! I'm a smasher from MD/VA whose been in Madison for the summer for an internship. I had no idea this thread existed until just now, but I'm really itching to get in some Melee. Anyone here interested in playing sometime soon?

FrootLoop

Smash Lord

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Smashfest is cancelled tomorrow. Instead it's my birthday!!!! I'm going to see the wolverine at 7pm at marcus point cinema, west of madison near rockys. Everyone is invited, and I would love to celebrate by watching marvel!!!!!!

Mundungu

Smash Lord
We may need to audible to a different place for smash tomorrow. We're going to have a lot of people (at least eight), so Alex's house won't really work.

I can host, but it might be better if we did it at Sanchez' or Gibby's place. Let me know what you guys think.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I think an audible makes sense. I'll talk to sanchaz and gary about it tomorrow if they don't see this. Do you need a setup brought if it's at your place?

Landry

Smash Ace
Let me know what you guys end up choosing for the smashfest. I definitely want to attend.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
I will post where we go here later today. I have 3 tvs, so I would at least need a cube. Another TV might not be necessary.

KBM

Smash Ace
Hi everyone! I posted a thread but this is probably a better place. I just started working at Epic and I'm lookin to get into the scene here. I'm competitive at Brawl and bad at Melee but I'd really really like to learn Melee.

Somebody mentioned smashfests at UW on thursdays. That sounds awesome. And I just requested to join the facebook group ^_^

Hi everyone! I posted a thread but this is probably a better place. I just started working at Epic and I'm lookin to get into the scene here. I'm competitive at Brawl and bad at Melee but I'd really really like to learn Melee.
The Brawl scene in the state over the past couple of years is pretty much non-existent since its so spread out. We've got two people in Eau Claire (three if you include Rage). In the Madison area we have another three people. One of which only comes for tourneys. Me and another guy are here during the school year. Typically, we need IL and MN to ever have a proper dub elim bracket else we typically just do round robin singles. Doubles may as well just be a money match between two teams lol There is also akira, but I think I didn't see him at the last IMDB and he never says much.

I'd be glad to do Brawl matches whenever.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
I've also been trying to get into the WI scene for Melee and Project M, but I don't really know how to "break in". Everyone seems to already know each other, and smashfests are held at friends houses. With something like Magic The Gathering, I could just look up the local card shop and head over there. It's a public space designed to welcome new players. But homes aren't like clubs. They're not public places. I feel super weird asking to just show up at the house of some guy I've never met with a bunch of people I've never met. It's like asking to be a part of the family, and families are pretty tight groups. You can't just step into that. It also doesn't help that I'm like an hour drive from all the major areas (Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago).

G

genkaku

unless I'm mistaken chicago has weekly fests at a game store. Milwaukee will probably start having biweekly fests at UWMke later in the fall but that's not set up yet. Until then housefests are what we've got.

The Brawl scene in the state over the past couple of years is pretty much non-existent since its so spread out. We've got two people in Eau Claire (three if you include Rage). In the Madison area we have another three people. One of which only comes for tourneys. Me and another guy are here during the school year. Typically, we need IL and MN to ever have a proper dub elim bracket else we typically just do round robin singles. Doubles may as well just be a money match between two teams lol There is also akira, but I think I didn't see him at the last IMDB and he never says much.

I'd be glad to do Brawl matches whenever.
does this 3rd person mean me? can't tell

I've also been trying to get into the WI scene for Melee and Project M, but I don't really know how to "break in". Everyone seems to already know each other, and smashfests are held at friends houses. With something like Magic The Gathering, I could just look up the local card shop and head over there. It's a public space designed to welcome new players. But homes aren't like clubs. They're not public places. I feel super weird asking to just show up at the house of some guy I've never met with a bunch of people I've never met. It's like asking to be a part of the family, and families are pretty tight groups. You can't just step into that. It also doesn't help that I'm like an hour drive from all the major areas (Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago).
You shouldn't be holding yourself back like this. If you are under 18 and with parents I can completely understand not wanting to go to some random house with people you never met before. Especially with transportation being a potential problem. If that isn't the case, then the people over in Madison are quite chill about new people stopping by. Just PM lightsoutace or sanchaz or frootloop if you want to come by the Madison area.

I have to drive like 50 minutes one way for the weekly smashfests I go too. For me, driving an hour is well worth my time to go for a smashfest or tournament where I'll be there for like 6+ hours straight. Paying for the gas is like the same as paying for a movie and dinner for an afternoon and evening. Even if you are like 1.5 hours away from either direction I think it would be well worth the time. However, I get that work or other commitments might interfere with having a solid like 6 hour block of time to go out somewhere (2 hour drive downback, 4 hour to play).

I am not sure why in Madison we keep doing the Thursday 6 p.m. and later time slot instead of just holding the smashfest on Saturday and Sunday where we should all have more time. I couldn't make a lot of those smashfests on Thursday nights last semester due to having stuff due each week for a different class on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Monday. I guess the exarch time put down so long ago is sacred now lol Otherwise, if you really want to wait for your "break in" just keep looking for the next IMDB that'll be held on the Madison Campus. A university campus building shouldn't be any different than a local card shop.
Rage moved to California I think
Darn it.
does this 3rd person mean me? can't tell
Yeah, I was referring to you Rev lol

Top Bottom