• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

@Ryan: Watching TAS could be a hobby. People make hobbies out of anything.

@Sam: Oh, that's all we might get? Disappointing. Well, money could have gone to some minor accommodations. Like uh.. food, extra controllers to rent/buy, set-ups.. Hell, we could get some decent recording equipment or something.

@Kyle: Give away money is a great use of college funding :) They would agree to do it.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
OMG! spikes, why didn't you ever mention this stuff before, that's awesome.

I think I can get a SPECIAL, corny, BUT STILL SPECIAL surprise at IMBD. it will be funny

I got banned from shoryuken already...but...to be honest, it wasn't my fault, it was reported that I was spamming the minnesota thread??? what. I made three-four posts about street fighter and IMBD, and just got **** on. wow, what a horrible communitty.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
tio should really just be a supplement to people who already know how pools and brackets work. I've seen the program cut corners behind the scenes (it's awful at accurately breaking ties in pools), and you need to be able to spot and account for human error, like when I somehow got recorded as beating fatboy in brawl pools at ECSS. Idk if it's fixed now but at the time there was no way to change names once a bracket is setup without needing to seed it again, so the results have me getting second place in a brawl tournament, lol.

the most notable tio disaster was during Peef On Earth III when Peef accidentally saved over/deleted all of the tio files after pools, and rocked in the corner sucking his thumb while I drew up a seeded and pool-rotated (so nobody in winners bracket played someone from their pools until 4th round) 64 man double elimination bracket by hand in Notepad while Husband yelled at my face to DQ all the 4th seeds to save time (I didn't), and then ran the entire bracket in less than 2 hours with the help of some other people who actually knew what they were doing.

I kinda hate tio

john!

Smash Hero
0_0 i guess so, tio is good though if you aren't experienced and just want an easy way to make pools and brackets. not without its flaws though.

i could help t.o. at imdb if you want, sam.

G

genkaku

Moving into my apartment in milwaukee tomorrow.
I got a lot better over the summer. A lot better.
I feel bad for sucking so bad before, but I'll probably feel bad for where I am now later, haha.

Wafles

Smash Lord
TIO is great at managing double elimination brackets and seeding pools into those brackets. However, it is bad at determining seeds in pools with any degree of accuracy. The way I did it at most tourneys was to do all the pools on pencil/paper, then manually work out the seeds, then enter them into TIO in a way that it would understand so that the seeds were right. I did this at maybe 10-12 tournaments, and never had any issues.

Being a good TO means a lot of work hyping up your tournament. Getting a sweet venue, sponsorships, pot bonuses, etc, takes a lot of work.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
I'm not worried about actually running brackets; I have plenty of experience doing that. At my last tournament I drew up the pool-rotated bracket by hand (it's actually not that difficult), but then I put it into TIO to make it run smoother. TIO is really useful just for bookkeeping.

The stuff I want to learn is what Wafles is talking about: sponserships, hype, pot bonuses, etc.

Wafles

Smash Lord
I made websites with automated pre-registration for FBT4 and FBT6. That seemed to help. Also posted threads months in advance, and got the pot bonuses sorted out just as far ahead. Spikes took care of finding the sponsors though. The sponsors ended up putting money towards the venue fee, and then we posted a pot bonus based on the expected turnout, and took that money from the venue fee.

Having a sweet venue, and pictures of the inside/outside of the venue are really nice too.

branden4030

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I'm looking for wisconsin smashers around the fox cities area or anywhere close to it to smash with. I live in neenah myself. shoot me a PM if your interested.

G

genkaku

I know a smasher in neenah. Plays falcon, but is out of practice.
Apparently he's hoboing it up in front of a staute of liberty there?

sanchaz

Smash Lord
skeletor quotes:

HENCHMEN- you were right skeletor
SKELETOR- as always

HENCHMEN- oh no we should flee
SKELETOR- stay right their CRAP-FACE FOOL!!! (I was laughing so hard, I thought my head was going to explode)

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Hey guys I'm looking for wisconsin smashers around the fox cities area or anywhere close to it to smash with. I live in neenah myself. shoot me a PM if your interested.
I live in Appleton, it's like 15 mins away. I'd be down for playing sometime. 18spikes lives in oshkosh and hosts fests on a decent basis but that might change with school starting. Let me know if you want to get together sometime.

G

genkaku

someone from WI had a video of really funny smash commentary in their youtube favorites and now I can't remember who it was. I thought it was eighteenspikes, but I didn't see it there.

Sync99

Smash Journeyman
---WISCONSIN--- !!!BREAKING NEWS!!! ---WISCONSIN---

I am very sad to say that I'm moving to Minnesota, so from now on I'll be posting more in the MN boards than here, but mark my words: I'm still a true wisconsinite smasher! Sorry that it'll be ME representin', lol

john!

Smash Hero
---WISCONSIN--- !!!BREAKING NEWS!!! ---WISCONSIN---

I am very sad to say that I'm moving to Minnesota, so from now on I'll be posting more in the MN boards than here, but mark my words: I'm still a true wisconsinite smasher! Sorry that it'll be ME representin', lol
does this mean that you got the job?!

Top Bottom