• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WI Thread

G

genkaku

I didn't edit, you can check. But I did do that on purpose. Mindgames, son!

It's been a while since I've fought a good doc.

You are actually on SWF much 0.o? I find that hard to believe. But, that means I have no excuse to sleep in late on thursday :(

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I need to focus on work, so no smashfest this week or next week at this point.
Also trying to minimize the amount of time I spent on the boards during the day.
But glad I got to see the CF Sacred combo vid 0_o;
I know this goes against your focus of work, but I think Exarch you need to watch these 3 videos to get an idea of the history of WI, and what it means to play for our state. Enjoy.

This

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7064335375126057500#

This

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0#

THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TODJ4YSkeOQ (Part 1, just follow the parts on youtube.)

It's 3 hours worth of stuff, watch them in order, but it will be WELL WELL worth it, and you'll have a better understanding on where we come from.

Culvers

Smash Apprentice
A class of mine got canceled tomorrow so I'm done with classes by like 10 am. If anybody wants to smash tomorrow in madison, call/text me tomorrow at (262)565-7834.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
Can anyone here help me out with Physics? This is really important.....

hmm, I can't help you out now, but I can get someone sometime later, would that help, he's pretty good, whens it due. really saying this because I don't know how hard it is, and you must be pretty despeate asking smashboards, unless its super important, I won't call him

Culvers

Smash Apprentice
if this is like high school physics i think for the second problem "T" is the same as the force of gravity on the 6 kg block, so 6 * -9.8 = 58.8 newtons.
is "a" acceleration?

Xeylode = Freshman
Xeylode started out in Math 221. Physics 207 requires Math 221 pre-req.
Xeylode starts physics in spring semester.
Xeylode has only basic high school physics knowledge that anyone in college has.

With no smash tonight I am bored. Wasn't that m number the coefficent of friction or something like that?

If that m=.45 is the coefficent of friction, then the friction force made by the blocks on the horizontal plane will be "friction = coefficent of friction * Normal force"

Normal force is the force acting against a surface. Since this surface is flat, it is pretty much the weight of those blocks * gravity.

The 5kg block times 9.81 m/s^2 = 50 Newtons. The 3kg block times 9.81 m/s^2 = 30 Newtons. These are the normal force numbers. So 50newtons times the coefficent of friction (.45) is 20 newtons. The 30 newtons times .45 is 10 newtons. So, the total force of friction between the two blocks is 20 newtons + 10 newtons = 30 newtons. I am pretty much rounding this off to sig figs. Not sure how important that is or if that is even the right number of sig figs since you only gave a single digit sig. fig. to work with.

After that there should be a 6kg worth of force pulling the blocks to the right. Which is 6kg*9.81=60newtons (this is the resultant force). The resultant force minus the force of friction equals 30 newtons. I have no idea what a=? or t=?. I sort of do not get the question since it's just a picture.

Quaz

Smash Master
well we all know that force = mass times acceleration

we also know that that weird squiggly looking M (kinda like cat ears) stands for mu (pronounced mew) and the coefficient of friction.

okay so far we got

M1 = 10 KG
M2 = 30 KG
Ø = 30°
a = ?

Fx1 = T - M1g sinØ = M1a

Fy2 = M2g - T = M2a = M2a

add these 2 equations to eliminate T (that stands for tension btw)

M2g - M1g sinØ = (M1 + M2)a

a =(M2g - M1g sinØ) / (M1 + M2)

a = (30kg)(-9.8m/s²) - (10kg)(-9.8)(0.5) / (30kg + 10kg)

a = (-294 - -49)/(40)

a = -6.125/s²

thats problem one, did it help?? lol

EDIT: whoops messed up a part but I fixed it I think

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
well we all know that force = mass times acceleration

we also know that that weird squiggly looking M (kinda like cat ears) stands for mu (pronounced mew) and the coefficient of friction.

okay so far we got

M1 = 30 KG
M2 = 10 KG
Ø = 30°
a = ?

Fx1 = T - M1g sinØ = M1a

Fy2 = M2g - T = M2a = M2a

add these 2 equations to eliminate T (that stands for tension btw)

M2g - M1g sinØ = (M1 + M2)a

a =(M2g - M1g sinØ) / (M1 + M2)

a = (30kg)(-9.8m/s²) - (10kg)(-9.8)(0.5) / (30kg + 10kg)

a = (-294 - -49)/(40)

a = -6.125/s²

thats problem one, did it help?? lol

EDIT: whoops messed up a part but I fixed it I think
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS thank you quaz, ill mm you in melee next time i see you as a reward :)

Quaz

Smash Master
FUUUUUU

I messed it up, AGAIN I got my masses mixed up in that last equation

I think I should just quit physics forever.

EDIT: nvm I fixed it, should be good now. Maybe.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
2nd problem:

im gunna treat the two blocks on the surface as one block which ill say is of mass, m1=8.
m2 will be the hanging block. friction will mean the force of friciton.

since F = ma (and all three blocks will have the same a)

m1*a = T - friction
T= m1*a + friction

m2*a = m2*g - T
T= m2*a+m2*g

hence
m1*a + friction = m2*a+m2*g

rearrange a little to get

a*(m2-m1) = friction + m2*g

and a = (friction +m2*g) / (m2-m1)

then T = m2*a - m2*g or m1*a + friction

you know that friction = u * normal force

i lurk this thread and i took your class a year ago i think.

im rusty so i can't gaurentee this is correct but i think it is.

edit: i plugged in numbers and got 7.8 m/s/s for the acceleration which makes sense since it should be a positive number thats less than acc of gravity

G

genkaku

I'm working on it.
Waiting on the stupid student gov. to get their paperwork together.

btw, why are the page numbers on this thread magical?

sanchaz

Smash Lord
hey I want to smash tommorow

Plus note: I may be able to get a venue in madison, however, I don't have a laptop to setup the fu cking tournament.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
yoo Genkaku do you go to UWM? I dont but im on the east side a lot we should play. im reeeallly good.

also thanks LJ for the link I definitely will try to get there. sounds like a hype tourney and a good way to get back into meelee. and plus Ive been waiting to **** webster up in BB for a while now and it looks like the perfect opportunity.

Top Bottom