• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wi-fi stage selection is unfair...

Slike

Smash Cadet
If two people say the same thing, you can't go to the stage you want anymore, because they get what they want EVERY SINGLE TIME. FD is just boring when Perfectly un-banned stages like battlefield are there. It should just be luck, and the two people would most likely get what they want, when sometimes the others are rewarded. But no, we just have to go to FD for every match because two morons think everywhere else sucks. I personally would ban final destination for a four man brawl. It's way to small, and the training room in wi-fi would make a better stage, seeing it's actually LARGE.

Looper

Smash Journeyman
it's a vote if two or more players choose the same stage. whichever stage gets the most votes is picked

random if no one picks the same stage

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
That happend with me too. I was in a team battle online, first couple matches were on other places but from then on it was FD. Now, I'm the guy who follows with all the rules, I hardly play with items and are usually the one who argues for banned stages/no items. Well, none the less every pick going to FD drove me nuts, no matter what I picked we always went to FD. And it must have been at least 20 matches. Drove me insane!

Shanky

Smash Cadet
Yeah that happened to me too, Jigglymaster. I was playing a 2v2 online and the other team kept picking FD. Finally my pick went through and we got Pirate Ship, and they immediately ended the match! I just left after that because FD is so boring unless its 1v1.

Oh and I absolutely hate Battlefield. The platforms are way too close to the ground imo. I would rather play almost any other neutral/counterpick stage over Battlefield.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
I think your votes add up when your stage gets turned down. The best hing to do is keep voting for ONE stage only until it gets pick and by the time 3-5 matches are done, you will be playing a new stage. If you keep picking a different stage everytime, you will be stuck on FD. I think this is how it works and thats why it shows "1 coin" everytime you pick a stage.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
it's a vote if two or more players choose the same stage. whichever stage gets the most votes is picked

random if no one picks the same stage
This. The formula of selecting the stage with the highest number of picks seems to be Nintendo's signature way of choosing maps. It was this way too in Mario Kart DS (the best Wi-Fi game hands down). I'm more upset about the obvious lean in most players towards Final Destination. I'll admit that I use to be one of those people, but come on: Smashville? Delfino Plaza? Yoshi's Island? There are plenty of good stages out there, people!

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Yes I understand that FD gets picked a lot. But it is one of the most neutral stages in the game, and though overplayed, it is one of the most fair stages in the entire stage roster.

Now, it is a problem when at least two people get what they want (FD) every single time. But I dont think its unfair. Its just how the game does the voting. It is actually a fair system imo. If you get bored of playing on FD every match just leave the group and start searching for other matches. And dont give me that everyone out there picks FD every time, because it being played every match hasnt happened to me yet at all.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The formula puts all the stages the players chose in a lottery. If FD is chosen by two people, it has one extra random chance of showing up.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
Rhubarbo is correct.

Imagine a hat. Image four ping pong balls. When placed in the hat, each ball has a 25% of being drawn. Even if two balls are the same color, it just increases the odds of that color being drawn to 50% and the other two still have a 25% chance each.

Cooper736, I mean no disrespect but I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Mario Kart DS works in the same way as Brawl.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The formula puts all the stages the players chose in a lottery. If FD is chosen by two people, it has one extra random chance of showing up.
I don't believe this is how it works. My brother and I were doing some 2v2, but we were on the same wii while our opponents were on two different ones. We played 10-15 matches, and every single one was on Final Destination -- which we had never selected. So apparently both the opponents had selected it, and were constantly overriding us as it seemed to go by number of wiis voting and not number of players on each.

While it could have been random chance, if so it was pretty bad luck and it seems to fit what others have said.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I agree with you about the wi-fi training room, we should be able to fight there, also ti wuld be fun to fight in some of the subspace emmesarry places(the top of the ice mountain, the mid-air arena, the place in the jungle is wayyy better than final destenation, more balanced too.)

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
dude the stupid thing underneth the edges on FD kill me a bunch, like when im ness or even when im ike sometimes.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
No you just choose

if its 2 players you get a 50% chance of your stage

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The stage selection is random, you both choose and the game picks between the two of you. It does seem to favor the other person more but it doesn't always pick them.
this is totally wrong when the game 1st came out i played random people for like a whole day and eventually i ran into a jiggly puff and sonic that spamed there rolling specials and guess what world they picked sonics i picked a diffrent world every time i even started pick norfair so when i got it it would piss them off but out of the probably 27 times i kept trying green hill zone was chosen 27 times.

i actually rly did stay there alot maybe bot exactly 27 but it was over 20 for sure

edit: for those of you saying theres a 50:50 chance he is talking about 3 or more people and when 2 of those guys pick the same stage. this screws the 3rd and 4th players unless they are picking the same stage wich i doubt

a very simple way of fixing this would have been to set the stage selection to turns i mean is sakuria rly that ******** thats perfectly fair as if they are just 2 people they eventually both get the stage they want if their are 4 people they all get the stages they want after 4 matches

another edit: we should get 4 people to test this out 2 people should pick a rly crapy stage every time like newpork while the other 2 pick say battle field and smashvill every time voting separately

Douglas Jay Falcon

Smash Rookie
Yeah I hate how every single brawl on "with anyone mode" is always the same stage.To me final destination is boring and I don't really see why everyone on wifi likes it so much( I don't mind playing on final destination just over and over and over again gets on my nerves).There are plenty of stages that are cool and don't have stage hazards but for some reason people love it.To bad for the game designers who put all the effort into 41 different stages.

That's why I don't play on with anyone mode much anymore apart from the slideshow like games.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been of the opinion that the person who wins the match gets to choose the next level. I might be wrong about this, but it does seem that way. Anyway, Final Destination can become boring. There are more levels in the game besides that one.

Yes I understand that FD gets picked a lot. But it is one of the most neutral stages in the game, and though overplayed, it is one of the most fair stages in the entire stage roster.
Tell that to Donkey Kong. If you fall just below, you can't fly back up, since Donkey Kong's recovery is horizontal.

If you get bored of playing on FD every match just leave the group and start searching for other matches. And dont give me that everyone out there picks FD every time, because it being played every match hasnt happened to me yet at all.
Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean that it has not, or does not occur for many others. I've been to that stage a lot more than any other stage in Wi-Fi battles. I have no problem with it, but sometimes I'd like to go to Yoshi's Island or Skyworld or Aero Dive. Those levels are just as fun and intense as the kinds on Final Destination.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
Rhubarbo is correct.

Imagine a hat. Image four ping pong balls. When placed in the hat, each ball has a 25% of being drawn. Even if two balls are the same color, it just increases the odds of that color being drawn to 50% and the other two still have a 25% chance each.

Cooper736, I mean no disrespect but I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Mario Kart DS works in the same way as Brawl.
Good analogy.

Top Bottom