• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why will YOU donate to Evo's breast cancer drive today?

pewpewyou

Smash Journeyman
Ello.

Melee at Evo is no joke. As you all know, Melee is a few dollars away from being the next game featured at Evo2013. This is a really important move for our community! There are so many possibilities that could come if we just donate a little more.

What I wanna know is simple. Why do you want to donate your hard earned money to the Evo2013 breast cancer drive?

Personally, I want to see our top players get sponsors.
I wanna see prize pots over 10k.

I wanna see Mango vs Armada at Evo2013, with all of the pride and money on the line through thick and thin. Mainly, I wanna see something like this:

Call me ambitious, but I don't see a reason why anyone wouldn't want any of this for our community.

So again I ask: why do you want to donate to Evo's breast cancer drive?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I grew up, and am still growing, in the smash scene. Ever since I was 13 years old, to being 21 now, I've been participating in smash events. And, truly, nowhere else do I feel more secure than at a smash tournament. This community is a large family, filled with people that aren't afraid to call you on your b.s. and then turn around and laugh with you, cheer with you, and encourage you to improve. I've made amazing friends, and I love everyone that is apart of this scene. Without Smash I would not be where I am now as a person, and I certainly wouldn't have had a cause to devote myself to at pretty much anywhere in life.

I'm donating because the opportunity to help this wonderful community advance is one I can not pass up.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Street Fighter 4 really pushed the EVO attendance to what it is today and with it came along top notch livestreams like LevelUp and TeamSpooky! Melee has not had a chance to be part of this since there are many fresh fighting games that come out every year! It is especially difficult for a game that is +10 year to keep drawing in new people into the scene! With the exposure it will get from EVO, Melee's tournament lifespan will be stretch out for several more years! (Unless the next smash games turns out to be an amazing!)

I'm donating for the love of this community!

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
pewpewyou: Your Marth is the truth! Definitely a fanboy here.

I'm mostly a spectator for Melee (and other fighting games) these days, so I'll be donating for the love of the game and watching top players compete. It seems like we are on the cusp of great things with Smash which is astounding considering how long the game has been around and how much the meta-game continues to improve. There's still much that everyone can learn and achieve.

Let's break down those barriers between Smash and the rest of the fighting games, get to Evo, and show em what were made of!

Who knows, maybe one day Nintendo might even take notice and try to make a competitive smash next time around (ehhh probably not but one can dream)

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I'm ambitious as well.
EVO is not the first step, nor the last. It is only a part of our journey - as a Smash community, and as a Fighting Game community.

Not only do I want this:

I want it every year. And I want FGs at the Olympics, as a college sport, and recognized as the best competitive outlet in all video games.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
When I turned 6, I got an SNES for my birthday. I got two games that first day: Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Two days later, my grandmother lost her fight to breast cancer.

Down the line, I had gotten into SSBM, thanks to videos like Bob$'s Overdose, and all of those DBR videos. I took an interest in video editing just because of that. 4-5 years later, I do television production and post-production.

This community gave me a job. It gave me family, courage during some of my darkest days. If this is the least I can do...yeah, in there.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I am donating cause I love this community.

Skull girls is currently at $4125.00

Melee at 3697.00

That's only $428.00 behind.

I am donating $50.00 tonight, and I think it's going to get matched at least twice by the MIOM people, so that's $150.00 more.

So in actuality we are only $278.00 behind! Cmon guys we can do this!

NNID
dansalvato
Melee at EVO is a shoutout to Nintendo and BandaiNamco that the competitive community loves a Melee-style Smash game. It could influence the development of Smash 4. I am also donating tonight.

Shroomed

Smash Master
MELEE 2 GUD

Ok seriously, I just love this game and community. EVO will help us grow, and would be HUUUUGE for us.

I really can't believe this is a 12 year old game.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
My first and lastest smash tournament was almost two years ago, I'm 15 and my parents are unreasonably disapproving of tournaments but one day I want to win something.

I'm donating to Evo because once I get to college in a few years I want to come to an even bigger and better Melee scene.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Where to begin...

I remember in 1999, the first time I played Super Smash Brothers was after renting it from Blockbuster. I loved it so much that every week I would rent it again. My parents didn't want to actually buy it for me, but it probably would have saved them more money in the long run.

I never owned a Gamecube, and hated the idea of not being able to play the new Smash, and none of my friends owned any Gamecubes.

Then in 2005, I met my friend Travis, went over his house, and there it was: A Gamecube with Melee. Something was weird though: No items? Wtf?

Then I began to learn: This game has a lot more to it than rolling and throwing items.

About a month later we found out about competitive Smash and started getting into it. Never traveling to tournaments mind you, just focusing on the advanced techniques and learning everything we could. I had never put so much effort into a game. In hindsight traveling to tournaments was kind of difficult since not many were held in RI and we were to young to drive, so just playing each other (and our mutual friend derrek) we learned what we could and watched videos (I remember the first time we watched Bombsoldier's Bombs Over Baghdad video... not much has made me as hype as that video first made me) and just did our best to improve ourselves.

Between 2009 and 2010, we began going to a lot more tournaments after meeting ZoSo, Tichinde, and the rest of the RI scene. Every time I go to a tournament I learn so much and always feel welcome and at home, and it's fun as hell. Who knew that my love for such seemingly simple game would still be going strong at 23 years old.

I haven't had as much time for Smash in recent months because of my obligations to my job, but I would love nothing more than to see my first competitive game on the large stage and would love nothing more than to make it to EVO.

I've already donated $150, and I'm donating another $100 tonight.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I want melee to appeal to a larger crowd and to gain sponsors.
I don't think we'll ever get the support of nintendo, but at least EVO would help the scene stay strong.

dkuo

Smash Lord
cuz melee is sick, and the community is awesome

also as for selfish reasons, i was never following smash back before/during evo days like most smashers and i want a taste of what it's like
i got into smash super duper late, even as a spectator

Griffard

Smash Ace
Because this is my favorite video game by a huge margin, I spend a huge amount of time playing it, thinking about it, and talking about it, and I want more people to get involved in this amazing community!

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
yeah we don't need nintendos love. we've been standing on our own for a long time now.

trying to gain it back, is like trying to gain love back from your father that left when you were two or something **sorry if this happened to anyone, just thought it was an apt analogy.

ANYWAY.

I'm donating for the love of the game & community, because I wish for it to grow into something even more beautiful than it already is...& I KNOW it has potential to. I'm donating so we get some new players, some respect, & some love. I know evo isn't the endall solution to smash's issues, but I'll be damned if it isn't one hell of a first step.

SMASH BROS MELEEEEEEEEEEE

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Donated just now. Here's why.

My account date doesn't really tell my whole story--I've been following the scene for a very long time. The King's segment in Evolution, I think, was what got me into Smash. I found it while searching for tips on how to do one of the events or some nonsense and ended up finding a revelation. I couldn't believe that Jigglypuff--a common target of underestimation by casuals, like I was at the time--was doing the stuff I was seeing on the screen.

I've watched since the MLG era, always dreaming of emulating the elite. I've never had anyone to really practice with (my hometown friends didn't want to put in the effort to learn how to play at a higher level), and didn't have the drive to practice alone, and my extra-protective parents would never have let me travel far from my tiny rural hometown anyway, so it was a moot point. But I watched, and watched, and watched.

Finally got to college, have been to one or two Minnesota locals and am I getting a little better, had a chance to go to FC-Legacy this summer and it was one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had (still planning to do extremely belated shoutouts at some point--haven't forgotten some of the people that helped make the experience so amazing) and I hope to go to another major at some point. It's all been very thrilling. But I still haven't really made friends in the community and I haven't really added to anyone's experience in any way outside of friendship either--I don't stream, I don't record, I don't make hype videos, I'm not good enough to be interesting. All I've ever really done for this community that has given me so much entertainment and joy for so many years without even being a part of it is fill the pot at FC and whine about low stream quality on the boards.

That changes tonight.

It's only fifty dollars, but it's what I can do right now. Maybe before the deadline comes I'll put in a little more, if I get a little more to give. Even if the EVO drive falls short, it helps get our community a little publicity and raises money for breast cancer (always well-funded, of course, but as far as I'm concerned no charity is well-funded enough until its objective is fulfilled).

Gotta donate to Samox sometime soon too. That guy.

Anyway.

If you love this game, donate. Even a couple bucks makes a difference.

Beat!

Smash Master
Donated $100 because I love playing and watching this game, and the community is absolutely amazing and deserves it.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i'm donating because i ****ing love this game and playing it competitively

i've always been really concerned about melee's death ever since brawl was announced. i started in mid-late 2007, so i didn't really even get to play very much at the time of brawl's release. i felt like i was being cheated by the universe/nintendo. because i started (relatively) late, i didn't even get to experience melee in any sort of meaningful way before it's successor came around to ruin everything. i had always fantasized about becoming a great player and traveling to tournaments, and brawl was there to ruin everything.

back in 2008, right after brawl came out, i remember going to best buy with my mom and i saw all the melee copies on the clearance rack, whereas brawl was located with the new arrivals. whenever i saw all those melee discs on clearance, i almost cried because i didn't want to see melee go so soon.

in the winter of 2008, when i was a sophomore in high school, i re-scheduled a few of my final exams so i could take a bus to socal so i could carpool to norcal for west coast smash league. on top of that, i had SOLD MY WII in order to acquire the funds to even afford this trip. to this day, i still do not own a wii, and i still do not regret going to west coast smash league. despite melee's dwindling scene in arizona, i still loved the game and was willing to go to great lengths to play it. i even SERIOUSLY considered taking online classes so i could graduate a year early and go to college in california because of their smash scene, but i ended up not pursuing that, and i'm glad i didn't, but that's a whole other story.

on top of being my favorite game (by far) in the world, playing melee competitively has changed my life so profoundly in so many ways. it's taught me to realize my own potential and have a champion mindset. it's given me a sense of confidence and enthusiasm for living life that i've never had before. it's taught me how to be more outgoing and how to make friends with people of all kinds of different backgrounds and personalities. it's given me a tight network of wonderful individuals across the country and across the world that i'm proud to call my friends.

i think that melee being at evo offers the chance for so many possibilities to help the competitive melee community grow again and perhaps be even stronger than it ever has been before. being at evo is probably the most attention that melee will ever (possibly) get, and putting on a great show (which i know we can) on the big stage can help attract sponsors and new players to our game, which goes a LOOOOOOOONG way in allowing our game to thrive and survive. also, if our game is successful enough at evo, i'd hope that we won't have to jump through all these hoops just for a CHANCE to get our time to shine again.

i'm not willing to let go of this game just yet. not even close.

oh, let's do it. let's show skullgirls and the FGC what we're made of.

long live melee

Top Bottom