• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why WaveDash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sariku

Smash Master
I've been trying for a while, but how exactly do you wavedash, and what good can it do you?

I've been looking them up on youtube, but it only shows people wavedashing, not how.

Its stupid to me, but that could be cause I can't do it. I'm a rolling dodge master, so isnt that just as good?

Soma

Smash Journeyman
No... its not... Why, because rolling is very predictable and if you aren't getting punished for rolling alot... you need to play better people. Washdashing is just another type of movement, it is faster than running for some characters, but is just another option. Also, because you can do any attack out of it, gives it a huge advantage over running. Basically its just a tool for mindgames. As for how you do it... just airdodge towards the ground and what direction you want to dodge. You jump and airdodge before you get to high, if done smoothly you should just slide, if you are airdodging to soon, you will just jump, and if you do it to late you will just hop up and air dodge.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yeah its very useful, without it you have to have amazing reflexes, and rolling too much is way punishble by almost anything, watch out for that.

You should definatly implement wavedashing into your game, theres numerous guides and it takes aprox 45 mins to learn if you're really new, some people like 2 mins. Its easy. Just takes practice.

Sariku

Smash Master
Yeah its very useful, without it you have to have amazing reflexes, and rolling too much is way punishble by almost anything, watch out for that.

You should definatly implement wavedashing into your game, theres numerous guides and it takes aprox 45 mins to learn if you're really new, some people like 2 mins. Its easy. Just takes practice.
Meh I would try, but I got that screwed up controller...

Corigames

Smash Hero
Believe it or not (I don't know why you wouldn't though), I just started implementing WDing into my game about a month ago and have seen vast improvments in nearly all areas. The most common one I do is the dash in, WD back, and then either WD forward to an Fsmash or dash attack. Just an example.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Yeah, Marth's WD should be one of the easiest to do- he slides like a cat with tape on the bottom of its paws on a freshly waxed hardwood floor. Check the Guide to Terms thread in the Melee section- there are three videos that teach advanced techniques. One of them include WDing and a little guide to learn how. I would have used it if I didn't already know how when I saw it. Marth's is especially convenient, because you can interupt your slide with an attack like his fsmash. Others, like Zelda, Link, Pichu, and more it won't work with.

Edit: vv Seriously.

Elen

Smash Lord
Use the search function. There have been HUNDREDS of this exact thread. There are guides written on how to wavedash and its uses. Theres even video guides around, just search.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
With wavedashing you can set up inumerable mindgames. Also, you can do any attack of a wavedash and still be moving at the same time. You can't do an upsmash without stopping your dash first. Roll dodging is slow and shouldn't be used often. I'm not saying never use it because everything has its uses, but usually wavedashing is a much more viable option.

pdk

Smash Lord
1) sticks it to THE MAN, OH YEAH FIGHT DA POWA
2) lovely little way to stop/start moving/change your direction on a dime or just get quick sprints; the reason these sprints are nice is that you can move backwards and/or still do stuff while you're moving

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Rolling just plain sucks. You use it maybe once by accident during a match, and you get punished for it.

Rolling does not create mindgames, wavedashing does.

Kerocola

Smash Apprentice
You can't do an upsmash without stopping your dash.
Wouldn't a JC Upsmash be the solution for what you are talking about? This is a bit off topic, but...

As everyone says, rolling has lag.
Wavedashing can be used for mindgames(very important), combos, spacing, quickness, and you can do anything out of a wavedash. No character has a "problem" with doing it, the jump framerates will cause how fast to perform it to differ, however.

Just remember to be patient, at first you are going to get instantly 99% of the time you can perform it and you can use it correctly. It takes time. So bring it into your fighting gradually and practice.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Wavedash because everybody else does it.

Give in to peer pressure.

C'mon. It won't hurt. Just try it a few times. No big deal.

pdk

Smash Lord
Rolling just plain sucks. You use it maybe once by accident during a match, and you get punished for it.

Rolling does not create mindgames, wavedashing does.
running forward -> WDing back -> running forward again is unpredictable now?

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
wavedashing can help pull off good combos like waveshining with fox and falco.It is also good for mindgames.For luigi it is very neccesary.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wavedashing isn't absolutely positively no other way in this life or the next necessary, and if you don't believe me, go watch Aniki's Samus, but you will need to be on the highest level of play to survive without it. Wavedashing opens you up to a great deal more movement options (rolling and running aren't always your best bets), faster combos and punishment techniques (try rolling or dashing into an attacks lag: chances are it's a lot slower), and it can be implemented in your mindgames more smoothly (rolling's distance is constant, and has before and after lag, dash dancing is nice, but can only be implemented during the dash animation).

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
wavedashing isn't necessary, but it is a good option to have, so learn it. it's like... jumping out of the shield isn't necessary, but you are cutting out so many options if you can't do it (like yoshi).

Zoroko

Smash Rookie
Wavedashing is easy for my favorite smash character Luigi, but I wonder if it really is necessary for characters like link. I find it easier to play him without wavedashing.

ElChibo

Smash Apprentice
Hearing that you always roll means you aren't Samus lol. WDing is needed for tons of characters, but is especially needed for Samus, Marth, Luigi, ICs, and Fox. Remember though, almost anyone should use it. Perhaps Sheiks don't need it that much.

D1

Banned via Administration
The main reason I wavedash nowadays is to either get back quickly on the stage from a ledgehop, to edgehog instantaneously ( accompanied w/ a fastfall of course), to be able to move away from my opponent while shielding (wavedash outta shield), or behind them like Wes's Samus sometimes does.

There's so many applications for this technique...

...as a Marth against chars like Peach/Zelda at a certain percentage you can't reach 'em in time for an fthrow fsmash combo...which is where fthrow->wd fsmash comes into play..

...anyways I'm done.

I thought by now everyone would accept this technique and stfu.

There's always a skeptic everywhere u put ur feet.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Alot of people say wavedashing is not that important, but for some characters it is SOOO important.
Like Samus, Luigi, Marth, and Mewtwo, ICs, wavedashing is vital.

If your character has a crappy run, or bad dash attack, or maybe they need spacing, etc etc

pdk

Smash Lord
I'm a rolling dodge master
no such thing exists for the record; not getting grabbed every time you roll is hardly mastery, nobody is impressed if your friends aren't aware that they can grab you after a roll

and please everyone, throw around "mindgames" more!

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
To put it straight, there is a place for roll-dodging, but that place shrinks considerably as you enter pro play. Its too easy to predict, and often moves too slowly. Most characters can deal with them in the way that MarsFool! mentioned, with a well-timed smash attack (downsmashes usually do the trick), which will punish you in the frames of vulnerability which take place after your roll. I would never say rolls are completely useless, as they've worked for me even in much higher level play, but they're very different from a wavedash, and in pro level play the wavedash takes over for alot of the "rolling to move" rolling that goes on with lower level players, because there is less vulnerability, as well as swifter and more precise movement. Wavedashing is most easily learned simply by jumping and air-dodging back into the ground as fast as you can. I found it easier to learn without horizontal movement at first, but just cancelling jumps, then later dodging diagonally into the ground for some actual movement. Hope this helps. : )

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Spruce's point can be added to by saying that as a result of rolling being implemented less in higher levels of play, it's less expected, and thus a well-timed roll can throw off your opponent's expectations. But this is much more situational than wavedashing.

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I've been trying for a while, but how exactly do you wavedash, and what good can it do you?

I've been looking them up on youtube, but it only shows people wavedashing, not how.

Its stupid to me, but that could be cause I can't do it. I'm a rolling dodge master, so isnt that just as good?
Y

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I miss this :( It was so fun arguing with scrubs about wave dashing / L cancelling in melee. Now everyone has hero worship for the top melee players so nobody would dare say wavedashing isn't necessary to win.

I also miss all the Tires don exits threads, and the "whos better roy or marth" threads with us all saying ROY HAS T3H PHIRE!

gooooood times.

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
I'm a newbie, but I wish there was more funposting and I wish there were more scrubs on here. It sounds cool.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm a newbie, but I wish there was more funposting and I wish there were more scrubs on here. It sounds cool.
There's always the smash 4 section / front page :p

I don't troll there anymore though. Enough people were butt hurt that I got a final warning to stop making the scrubs angry / messing with em.

This site is pretty dead compared to what it used to be. Forums just ain't what they used to be. Still. Smashboards will always have a special place in my heart... been coming here since I was just a teenager.

Grim!

Smash Cadet
I will tell you how to wavedash shorthop then as soon as you can curve your stick down foreward thats it.And also L canceling goes like this just before you hit the ground press the left trigger thats all you have to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom