• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why was Roy created? Suggestions to balance his character.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Hmm, there's really only one semi-good thing about Roy. That's Flare Blade. If you KO the opponent with another attack, IMMEDIATELY start charging. The opponent would see you and try to attack. If it's slow, that's lovely. If it's fast, it's NOT so lovely - you'd need perfect reflexes to ace that one. If a fully charged Flare Blade hits, POW! ...Then, you repeat this step.

However, this attack has one con that concerns me. The recoil. It's not much, but...
I literally ran head first into a wall made entirely of whirling blades after I read this post.

Mister Moo

Smash Rookie
...Fine. Whatever I said earlier is something that only works with extreme luck (basically, it's quite unlikely). It happened to me, so I assume that game is messed up. :urg:

darE::to::Dream

Smash Journeyman
...Fine. Whatever I said earlier is something that only works with extreme luck (basically, it's quite unlikely). It happened to me, so I assume that game is messed up. :urg:
You realize, of course, that the Flare Blade only hits above and in front of Roy, meaning they can easily just hop behind you and hit you with whatever during the lag of the attack?

Mister Moo

Smash Rookie
You realize, of course, that the Flare Blade only hits above and in front of Roy, meaning they can easily just hop behind you and hit you with whatever during the lag of the attack?
Yes, I already knew that. The people usually get hit with it when they play as Bowser (that's who I usually battle). ...Hmm, that's something that I can consider a con for Bowser...

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Yes, I already knew that. The people usually get hit with it when they play as Bowser (that's who I usually battle). ...Hmm, that's something that I can consider a con for Bowser...
nah duh that they get behind u but if ur smart u would stick to edge garding with it not just swinging it around like a dumb azz and roy does horrible agaist bowser i dont know how thehell you can land that without geting punished

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
What does grab range have to do with chaingrab potential? It's all about the trajectory of the throw.
well think about it.
if I throw you up and you DI really hard away from me, don't you think having a good grab range will help me continue the chain grab?
Grab range is the SOLE reason that sheik and marth are such insane chainthrowers.
Marth has longer grab range than roy.

Try to f-throw chaingrab with Marth, then try it with Roy (their f-throws are virtually identical), and come back and tell me who was able to do it the longest.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
What happened to this thread being about how to balance Roy? lol

edit: Eternal phoenix Fire's statement is probably true rofl.
the only thing that Roy needs badly is a decent recovery, or more recovery options. If he had that, geezus christ I would own with him.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Marth is a girly, prince, who I could very well see wearing a dress and kissing other men. His squeaky voice and flamboyant poses are the only reason I would want to use Roy over Marth. Still, though, that kind of thinking makes you a Narutard weeaboo.

*sigh*
You're an idiot if you're gonna hate MArth because of his "flamboyance" because CF is the most flamboyant character in Smash Bros but he ***** Roy, as does Marth.

NES Noob is right. The only way to improve Roy is to either Luigi-fy him or change him completely.

mog87

Smash Ace
He was created to promote fire emblem the sealed sword (fuuin no ken) or fe6, and yea he sucked in that game too so its not like its a big deal, though he was atleast decent with the sword of seals, for the most part he was mediocre to sucky, unless you got really lucky or manipulated the rng. So in conclusion roy was a crappy fighter but he was quite the ladies man, his talents lie not in the battlefield but lie in the bed. (what a pun)

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
As previously mentioned, Roy was primarily put in Smash to promote the newest unreleased Fire Emblem. FE hadn't come to the states yet, so they included Marth. Marth was already slated to be in the game, but I recall hearing something that Roy and Ganondorf were both really close to not being in the game due to time constraints.

The idea was to make Marth the speedy, combo-character and Roy his slower, more powerful opposite.

As I know from playing with Roy for the better part of five years, they failed in this aspect.

Truth is, Roy is weaker, lighter and slower than his blue haired ancestor. All these things contribute handily to Roy's low-tier ranking. More than any other doppleganger couple in the game (Mario and Doc, Pikachu and Pichu ect.) Roy and Marth are the furthest apart in terms of rank. Roy isn't a terrible character by any means, but they could have set out to make him better. Easily. And here's a few suggestions.

First off, the primary focus of Roy is that Roy is supposed to be more powerful than Marth. Sweetspots taken into account, this flat out isn't true. Sweet Spotted Marth not only pushes further, but causes more damage than Roy. One easy suggestion is to simply make Roy more powerful. Not just by a little bit, but by a small chunk. This'd make up for his lack of speed as well as priority. And if we're fixing damage, his Priority should be increased as well.

Second, while physically speaking, Roy's Blade of Seals may be longer than Marth's Flachion, there's no question which tip of which sword you'll be trying to hit with. While hitting with Marth's non-sweet spotted sword is perfectly acceptable, non-sweetspotting Roy's sword is horrible. To compensate for this, I think that his whole sword except maybe the last 5% should be sweetspot territory.

Third, If Roy is to be slower then he should benefit from a weight increase. As it stands, Marth can absorb more damage and live than Roy can. He should be a good deal heavier to help him prolong his fights.

Here's an interesting fourth point. Damage-wise, Roy and Marth are fairly similar on the ground, but in the air, Marth is far the superior. He can combo across the stage into spikes or other debilitating moves. Roy's air-game is absolutely pathetic. The best he can pull of are short-hopped combos into one of his three primary killing moves. (Those being F-smash, his Blade Dance Combo and his Flare Blade) And even this isn't reliable as his chaining Air moves (N-air, F-air and U-air) are not universal in the least. They only work on medium/fast fallers. If Roy is supposed to be the power hitting equivalent of Marth, He should have either a huge damage increase to his air game, or a different move set with power moves similar (but perhaps not as powerful as) Gannondorf.

One reason for his low rank (And the fifth point in this post) is because Roy has no advantages over any other character in the game. In fact, he seems to only have fights he should totally avoid. Peach, Jigglypuff, Samus and DK all seem to give Roy a serious problem. Almost all the other characters have various match-ups with varying degrees of difficulty. The reason for these four insanely difficult fights for Roy is because Roy's killing moves all hit you in the same direction: Horizontally. And those four characters all excel at recovering horiziontally. All Top-tier people have various directions they kill people with, so I think that Roy should get a move that kills over the top. As it stands, Roy's Up-tilt is ****-near useless, Up-smash is not a great move (but it is better than Marth's amazingly) and his Up-throw isn't too terrible. But a move that kills upwards would be awesome.

The sixth and last point I'm going to make here has things to do with the mechanics of Roy; how he performs in the game. Whlie his current state isn't bad, he has little weird mechanics that get in his way. The timer for his counter varies (How long it takes him to get into counter-stance. I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong, but occaisionally it seems it takes longer to get into his counter-stance and that extra half-second gets me hit), a slow-get up edge-hog almost always certifies Roy's (and Marth's) deaths. If a character is to o close to Roy, he cannot hit them. My friend plays an excellent Marth and when we fight with our Mains, occaisionally we'll throw grabs through one another. Phantom's also effect Roy almost as equally as Marth. Lastly, using the first part of Blade Dance to come back will occaisionally send Roy downwards instead of over, also killing him...

These are just a few points I think would make Roy a much, much better character. I certainly hope he's in Brawl, but I seriously doubt him, or Marth for that matter, will be in the game. Only time will tell I guess.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Well-written, but there are a few misconceptions in there...

1. Marth isn't faster than Roy. Well, yes, for the most part his moves are all a few frames less and he lags less after moves, but because they both rely on aerial game, this can be negated. By L-cancelling, the lag after aerials is ignorable. Because of Roy's faster falling speed, his SHFFL'd aerials actually come out a whole lot faster (since he returns to the ground almost immediately).

2. Power isn't all damage. Roy's moves all have more knockback than Marth's. This allows him to KO at lower percentages... ignoring the fact that Marth can combo into a spike. :/

3. The only reason Marth can combo people across the stage is because his tippered f-air sends opponents upward allowing a 'juggling' effect. Chaining Roy's n-airs of f-airs can have the same effect of pushing a character back to the edge and KOing them, just a visual difference. Still, Marth is pretty much a thousand times better at actual combos.

4. Roy's DED and Marth's DB act exactly the same when recovering. It has something to do with when they're rising, the lose vertical distance rather than gaining horizontal. Of course DED is a much better move. :)

But other than that... It made absolutely no sense how they could make "clones", making one slow-falling but heavy and one fast-falling but light. This, in my opinion, is the major reason Marth has such better game than Roy.

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
Yay. Replies!

Delx: Down smash does hit up, but it's not a solid or well advised move. While it is probably his fastest smash attack, It's also got some terrible wind-down lag. If this move is Ground-Canceled, they get a free hit, plus it only sweeps low to the ground, as most down-smashes do. The sweet spot for this move is not very far at all, which means I have to be on top of them. In any event, while Down Smash isn't useless, It's an extremely risky move. Whiff it and I'm in for pain and maybe even death.

Kyu: I fight a Marth all the time. Since it isn't possible to clash aerial moves, I find that 8 times out of 10 my shuffled aerial moves are stuffed by Marth. Is that priority over Roy's aerials? Perhaps. But he's generally just faster than Roy all around as it is. Like I said before, Roy may be able to use Aerials to push into his ground-based killing moves, but Marth has a very viable air combo that leads into an aerial killing move, making him more flexible with his options.

In higher levels of Play, Damage and Knockback work out alot for me. If I catch someone offguard with Roy's F-smash, I can expect them to eat some hearty damage and be sent flying, allowing me to kill people occaisionally at about 50%. Marth on the other hand, if sweetspotted, can hit harder and cause just as much knockback...which, in terms of character concepts, is ridiculous.

I forgot Roy's was called Double Edge Dance. And yes, it is one of his best moves and quick enough to be awesome. I manage to do fairly well with him, at least making it into brackets each time, provided I don't have a crappy pool. Maybe one of these days I'll get around into posting videos.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
1. Marth isn't faster than Roy. Well, yes, for the most part his moves are all a few frames less and he lags less after moves, but because they both rely on aerial game, this can be negated. By L-cancelling, the lag after aerials is ignorable. Because of Roy's faster falling speed, his SHFFL'd aerials actually come out a whole lot faster (since he returns to the ground almost immediately).
As you yourself said, marth is faster than roy. Marth runs a tad faster, he can do aerials faster (short hop double fair), and has less lag on shffls than roy does. Anyone at a decent level of play will be l-cancelling every aerial they do, and that amount less of lag that marth has matters. Roy does have the faster falling on his side, so he shffls "faster", but with his lag at the end of it and the fact that none of it combos anything like marth's can, it doesnt help his case much.

2. Power isn't all damage. Roy's moves all have more knockback than Marth's. This allows him to KO at lower percentages... ignoring the fact that Marth can combo into a spike. :/
Roy does not have more knockback than marth. Marth's tipped fsmash has way more knockback, and can be easily comboed into, or set up for a platform tip, or just flat out **** with the outrageous range and priority that it has. Roy's fsmash sweetspot (while farther out than you might think), can't really be comboed into (save for like an upthrow - fsmash on the space animals or a really bad DI on some shffles), doesn't reach up to platforms, and can't outrange/outprioritize. Against good people, you can only really get a sweetspotted fsmash with roy when they completely **** up or you get lucky and mind game them into it. And then you're still not dishing out as much knockback as a marth tip.
I do believe that roy's DED has better KO potential than marth's dancing blade, though.

If roy had more stun/wasn't stunned as long, and had a better grab game, he'd probably be a good character. Not good enough to be high tier per se (which i don't think could really be done, unless you really crank up his knockback or something), but good enough that playing as him in tourny isn't a completely lost cause.

Well-written, but there are a few misconceptions in there...

Yes,he is.Marth's F-smash also has a great frame advantage over.Marths aerial game is significantly fast and more reliable and can inflict more damage/stun.This also causes him to gain another advantage by being able to use multiple aerial attacks.Just because Roy can fall faster doesn't make anything better because you would have to get within close proximity to recieve maximum stun(Because of his Sweet Spot).His lack of shield stun can also cause him to get shield grabbed with ease.

He's open for tons of shield grabs,and alot of his moves have more frame disadvantages than Marth,and frames matter.

No,they do not.The only possible way for him to gain more knockback is to get closer to the opponent.His Sweet Spots are crap,and his aerial game is even worse than anything he has.His edge game isn't even decent.

3. The only reason Marth can combo people across the stage is because his tippered f-air sends opponents upward allowing a 'juggling' effect. Chaining Roy's n-airs of f-airs can have the same effect of pushing a character back to the edge and KOing them, just a visual difference. Still, Marth is pretty much a thousand times better at actual combos.
Roy can't chian Nairs>Fairs because he can't double Fair or immediatly Sweet Spot his attacks.Roy doesn't really have many combo options.

4. Roy's DED and Marth's DB act exactly the same when recovering. It has something to do with when they're rising, the lose vertical distance rather than gaining horizontal. Of course DED is a much better move. :)
No,it isn't.his 3rd down slash and up slash acts diffirently than Marth's.They are no better of no worse than eachother.

But other than that... It made absolutely no sense how they could make "clones", making one slow-falling but heavy and one fast-falling but light. This, in my opinion, is the major reason Marth has such better game than Roy.
You basically just said"Marth is a better character.Period".

=/

Roy sucks.Period.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
As you yourself said, marth is faster than roy. Marth runs a tad faster, he can do aerials faster (short hop double fair), and has less lag on shffls than roy does. Anyone at a decent level of play will be l-cancelling every aerial they do, and that amount less of lag that marth has matters. Roy does have the faster falling on his side, so he shffls "faster", but with his lag at the end of it and the fact that none of it combos anything like marth's can, it doesnt help his case much.
I can't confirm this because the Marth FAQ does not have frame measurements, but it appears as though Roy actually has less hit frames on aerials. Also, because lag is cut in half, the difference in lag is also cut in half. The difference in lag of Marth over Roy is minute as-is, and when that is sliced in half it makes almost no difference whatsoever. Roy and Marth's aerial games are not comparable (one is not better than the other). Roy has the advantage of returning to the ground much faster allowing his next aerial move to come out quickly, or to continue fighting on ground. Marth has the advantage of being able to execute more than one aerial before landing, and can combo opponents through air.

Roy does not have more knockback than marth. Marth's tipped fsmash has way more knockback, and can be easily comboed into, or set up for a platform tip, or just flat out **** with the outrageous range and priority that it has. Roy's fsmash sweetspot (while farther out than you might think), can't really be comboed into (save for like an upthrow - fsmash on the space animals or a really bad DI on some shffles), doesn't reach up to platforms, and can't outrange/outprioritize. Against good people, you can only really get a sweetspotted fsmash with roy when they completely **** up or you get lucky and mind game them into it. And then you're still not dishing out as much knockback as a marth tip.
I do believe that roy's DED has better KO potential than marth's dancing blade, though.
Roy and Marth's f-smashes do the same amount of damage, but Roy's has a higher minimum. The knockback is similar also. Marth's does not have more knockback. Roy's f-smash is just as easy to combo into; especially because his f-air knocks back forwards and down, and his d-tilt sets you up for any move. If you don't believe that Roy's f-smash is easy to pull off, look at the Roy video thread (conveniently in the same forum as we're posting :p)... How do you think Roy actually kills people? ;)

If roy had more stun/wasn't stunned as long, and had a better grab game, he'd probably be a good character. Not good enough to be high tier per se (which i don't think could really be done, unless you really crank up his knockback or something), but good enough that playing as him in tourny isn't a completely lost cause.
This I can agree with. Make his manflames actually do something! And at least give Roy better DI so he can escape comboes. His weight and falling speed make him such a victim. :/

Eternal Phoenix Fire: Here, some fun facts.

- The maximum amount of total frame difference between Marth and Roy's moves is 10, usually less.
- The trend in damage between Marth and Roy's moves is that Roy usually has a higher minimum percentage (aka his nonsweetspotted moves hit harder). Some of Marth's moves can deal more damage at maximum (particularly his tip-hit aerials) but it is mostly the same.
- Roy's sweetspot is "easier" to hit. What I mean is that because it is between the middle of his sword and the hilt, his range for whiffs is a lot smaller. While a Marth can play with "range", a simple error in timing or spacing can cause Marth to mis the sweetspot and be punished by his opponent.

Also, not that they are particularly relevant to the conversation, but some more differences:

- Flare Blade is much better than Marth's neutral B.
- Roy's horizontal recovery is much better (although both characters' recovery blow).

"His lack of shield stun can also cause him to get shield grabbed with ease."

True. However, I'd like to point out that almost every character in the game has to get in close proximity to use a physical attack.

"No,they do not.The only possible way for him to gain more knockback is to get closer to the opponent.His Sweet Spots are crap,and his aerial game is even worse than anything he has.His edge game isn't even decent."

Even though that is all opinion, it is also false. :)

"Roy can't chian Nairs>Fairs because he can't double Fair or immediatly Sweet Spot his attacks.Roy doesn't really have many combo options."

Sorry, that wasn't what I meant. He can chain f-air>f-air or n-air>n-air together (dependant on character). He can also chain f-air to d-tilt. While it is true that he doesn't really combo well, his d-tilt (possibly best move) sets up all kinds up stuff to rack up damage. Unfortunately because he is fast-falling it limits his aerial comboing capabilities and because his tilts blow (for comboing) his combo's usually revolve around two different moves.

"You basically just said"Marth is a better character.Period"."

I never argued that Marth wasn't a better character. By looking at the tier lists, it's obvious that Marth is superior. The fact is though, they are different characters. Why play Pichu over Pikachu? Or anything over a space animal?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Mmhmm, here, Roy shffls faster but
Marth doesn't NEED to shffl, he just double fairs.
What Roy has that Marth doesn't;
D tilt being combo good.

What Marth has that makes D tilt rather obsolete:
Up throw. Being combo better.

Marth is stronger than Roy, which is kinda ironic seeing how Roy was supposed to be stronger than Marth.

Marth's untip is stronger much better greater than Roy's tip. :laugh:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Marth's untip is stronger much better greater than Roy's tip. :laugh:
?

Maybe it appears to have more knockback, but Roy's tip deals more damage than Marth's hilt. It can also be somewhat useful in aerials because of the lack of knockback, where you pretty much just want to avoid missing the sweetspot with Marth.

Edit: And not everybody can SHDF with Marth. Even those who can use other aerials too. Marth still needs to SHFFL his n-airs and u-airs.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I really don't see the point of comparing roy to marth..its beating a dead horse.

Roy is a horrid character and doesn't stand toe to toe with marth in any section..sorry but its the truth. You can say a few top players use him well, well that goes for all characters..some people like using bad characters *coughgimpyfishcough* but theres no point to beating a dead horse about it..focus on improvements, not how he already is.

Banned via Administration
lol wow i come in here and see all these awful "facts" and awful suggestions for how to balance roy. guys if you don't know the game very well, don't try to balance a character.

also, lol @ someone defending roy in here (i didnt bother reading his name)

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
lol wow i come in here and see all these awful "facts" and awful suggestions for how to balance roy. guys if you don't know the game very well, don't try to balance a character.

also, lol @ someone defending roy in here (i didnt bother reading his name)
lol wow i come in here and see all these awful "posts" and awful post about roy. guys if you don't know the character very well, don't try to post about him

also, lol @ someone dissing roy in here (i didnt bother reading his name)

UCWOTEYEDIDTHAR?!

Really. The crap you spew about others spewing crap not only makes you appear the idiot, it also makes you appear the *******. It puts people off of the character, regardless of the player's quality or the character's quality. If you have nothing good to contribute, or if you aren't going to even bother disputing the "facts", then don't post at all. Srsly.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It hasn't been said that Roy's inclusion in Brawl was to ***** out Fire Emblem 6, which had just been released in Japan. He will probably not return, and neither will Marth most likely.
Marth and Roy are NOT from the same game. Marth is from FE1 and 3 while Roy is from FE 6.
Roy was put in melee in order to promote the release of FE 6. Origonally, Sigurd and Marth were going to be the two FE representatives, but Sigurd was cut at the last minute because nintendo thought advertising the new FE game had higher priority. Sigurd was a popular character, but not as popular as Marth and someone had to be cut.

Marth was put in because he is a very popular FE character, is the first in the series, and was the only Lord to appear in multiple FE games.

Marth is likely to return while Roy is likely to be cut to make room for Ike. (though I hope we get enough character slots to let him stay.)

I'd also like to point out that Roy's sweetspot is enourmous. It's basically everything except the tip of the sword. Shield grabs should not be a problem because he has the same range as Marth.

It would still help a lot if Roy's attacks caused more stun and if he had a better stun recovery. He'd be able to escape more combos and perform more himself.

Try to f-throw chaingrab with Marth, then try it with Roy (their f-throws are virtually identical), and come back and tell me who was able to do it the longest.
Neither one works with downward DI.

Lastly, using the first part of Blade Dance to come back will occaisionally send Roy downwards instead of over, also killing him...
That's because you didn't properly reset his "Floaty B" (that's what we like to call the side b that pushes you foward in the air.) The side B only pushes you foward one time in the air for every "Jump Cycle." A jump cycle is defined by the game as the time you jump to the time you enter the normal landing or special landing animation. That means in order to get your floaty B back you have to land with either an up B, and airdodge, or use the default landing animation (when you land without doing an aerial) The floaty B also doesn't technically push you foward (because you can also go backwards by DIing in the direction you want to go and side Bing backwards). What it really does is reset your fall. You actually stop falling and the start accelerating all over again. Marth, being more floaty, gets more out of this than Roy because he doesn't accelerate as fast as Roy does. It's more advantageous for Marth to sweetspot from below (even though he can sweetspot horizontally) because he moves farther foward than down while he's DIing toward the stage. Roy has to up B much earlier and take advantage of the horizontal sweetspot because he falls faster and wouldn't be able to just casually float foward like Marth does.

Sir Roy

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for confirming my over+b theory Sonic Wave, I thought it might have something to do with that, but I wasn't entirely sure. Flames aside, I sort of like this thread...any other suggestions?

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
I feel compelled to actually try this, as long as you guys will listen.

1. Roy needs to be stronger than Marth. There was absolutely no reason for Marth to be the stronger character as he is drastically weaker and has a weaker weapon than Roy. I'm speaking from observances of both Fuuin no Tsurugi and Melee along with information from Monshou no Nazo.

On a scale of 10 give Roy around a 9 in strength and around 6 to 7 in speed. Give Marth a 6-7 in strength and around a 9 in speed. I say this because the Falchion, Marth's sword, is a much lighter weapon than the Sword of Seals.

2. Roy should be able to last longer than Marth. One of the main things about the sword of seals is that it gave a good boost to both of Roy's defensive stats. Why take that away from him? Also, once again, Marth trails behind Roy in both of these stats in the FE series.

3. Another feature of the Sword of Seals is that it had a ranged attack. This was not implemented in SSBM in anyway.

4. Another feature that I couldn't figure out how to implement into Roy's moveset was the ability of the Sword of Seals to heal Roy. My friend helped me out on this one and it ends up working somewhat like Ness's Down + B, although I don't think it heals as much. It basically acts like Counter and lasts for a certain amount of time and if you get hit, by any attack, while you are in the stance you get healed for 3/4ths the attack power, so if you were hit for 20% you get healed by 15% instead.

Honestly both Marth and Roy need a moveset change. I know that most of you are now thinking I'm crazy for even suggesting that Marth's awesome moveset to get changed but I'm just simply saying it needs it. So much went wrong with Marth and Roy being moved over to SSBM from FE and they honestly should be corrected.

I've actually been working on a new moveset for Roy, mainly for a friend's homebrew game, and I think its coming along pretty well. All I'm missing is Roy's new ABA, AUA, and ADA.

If you want me to explain any further on some of the things I said I'd be happy to answer questions.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
You guys need to stop complaining about roy. I bet if we go to the bowser, pichu, or mewtwo forums, they dont ***** like the Roy forum does.

Roy sucks, thats a fact, when compared to marth he's even worse. Get over that fact and do the best you can with roy instead of wishing for things that will never happen.

D

Deleted member

Roy was created to be a sort of teaser or promotional character for Fire Emblem 6 in Japan, to answer your question.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
You guys need to stop complaining about roy. I bet if we go to the bowser, pichu, or mewtwo forums, they dont ***** like the Roy forum does.
Nah if anything we trash talk our characters :)

I think Roy was created so Sintenal could close threads.. lots of them

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
I'm RagnaRoK, a well known Roy in Dallas. (Known for improving, and nearly went to the finals of the MGC tournament with ROY).

Roy is a fine character, Roy takes a lot of work to get good with. You see, a lot of the hier tier characters that most people use in tournaments have either ridiculous Reach (Marth), Ridiculous Speed (Fox/Captain Falco), Ridiculously Cheap moves that require Zero Spacing (Peach), Or ridiculously moves that if used right, you can't attack without severe mindgames (Think Falco, sort of).

Roy is someone that requires lots of mindgames, and the exploitation of opponents weakness in order to use. I wouldn't change **** about Roy except that his forward b in the air acted like marths, thats it, nothing else needs to be changed. As far as speed, Roy is quicker than marth in my opinion, but lack of range and his height sometimes says otherwise. Also, Roy is juggle happy, he can be tossed about to a mid-high percent, but you don't have to worry about it if you don't get youself in that situation.

I 4 stocked a Marth with Roy, 143% damage when I was done (Happened 2 days ago at the MGC tournament), so its just about the skill you play. NOT everyone can play with Roy because he's not an easy character to play with.. Though he has very, very good moves if you know how to use them.

His forward smash is riduclously strong, and if hit right, can kill people in 2 perfectly landed hits, and has excellent knockback. His forward B is stronger than Marth's, and can set up for some early, devastating (Or however you spell itl) combos early on, and even get someone's shield low enough to be broken (I have done his before.) He has two spike moves (Both of which are extremely hard to land, but you get major respect if you can manage it), and also he has a good upthrow killer against certain chars at low-high to mid-high percents.

He has flaws, which include the inability to juggle floaty characters (Samus',Peach,Luigi etc.) And little recovery (though a good one when close). But you have to improvise. Roy can edge hop and do his double edge dance. He can edge guard from the edge by pushing back, jumping and then using his nuetral b, then up b to get back to the stage. Also, he can jump off the edge and back air, and come back to the stage (Both hard to do if you don't practice). Also, he has very nice suicidal moves. Jumping off the stage and holding B until you can hit your opponent, killing you both. Jumping off the stage and use his Meteor spike (Double edge dance) Or quickly do the full double edge dance and catch them with the final blow) (Only works on stages with platforms, as you need to full hop double jump off of a platform to get the final blow in). But over all he's good, just learn to use him.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Roy is a beast in his own right. You just can't use him the way you use Marth, obviously. He's hard to use, as said, but once you get the hang of him, he's a great character. I'm just starting to get a feel for him again, and I love it. Also, in free for alls....Roy is darn near unstoppable in my hands, xD. I think he's a good character that requires work. Although I tell my friend otherwise, because I think he wants to try and use Roy like he does Marth.....NOT gonna happen, xD.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I agree with OP. I think Roy's stats were put together poorly. He should've had Marth-like priority and faster attacks to use his up-close-range sweet-spot better.

Smash Master
Roy is a fine, balanced character. The problem is that as a player improves, Roy becomes less and less viable for competitive play. On a noob level, Roy>Marth. On a pro level, Marth>Roy, whihc is fine, IMO.

Top Bottom