• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why there isn't a Pokemon MMO - Junichi Masuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
http://kotaku.com/5179687/why-theres-not-a-pokemon-mmo

"At this point, we're not thinking of going in that direction," says Masuda. "Trading is a core concept of Pokémon. So when you're trading, you meet with a friend and decide which one you want and which one they want. I would like to emphasize real-world communication. You don't see each other online."

Absolutely terrible excuse. If they actually felt this way, we would have no GTS or anything... it just seems to me like they would rather push out the same game with updated graphics and new Pokemon every time.

Such a shame, too. Really, an MMO is the only way the Pokemon series has to grow, other than an updated storyline. While a bad selling MMO is a financial disaster... Nintendo has nothing to worry about. It's Pokemon... the game will sell millions even if it did suck.

No johns, Mr. Masuda. No johns.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

"At this point, we're not thinking of going in that direction," says Masuda. "Trading is a core concept of Pokémon. So when you're trading, you meet with a friend and decide which one you want and which one they want. I would like to emphasize real-world communication. You don't see each other online."

Absolutely terrible excuse. If they actually felt this way, we would have no GTS or anything... it just seems to me like they would rather push out the same game with updated graphics and new Pokemon every time.

Such a shame, too. Really, an MMO is the only way the Pokemon series has to grow, other than an updated storyline. While a bad selling MMO is a financial disaster... Nintendo has nothing to worry about. It's Pokemon... the game will sell millions even if it did suck.

You could always go to one of those fan-made pokemon mmos.

Incidently, as much as I would like an MMO, Pokemon is made for kids (as well as people who played it as kids), and MMO's imply communication of some type.

Think Halo 3 unmuted.

I want a pokemon mmo anyway, though.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Incidentally, as much as I would like an MMO,Pokemon is made for kids (as well as people who played it as kids), and MMO's imply communication of some type.
Excuse me while I rage!

:mad:

Its that EXACT mindset which I believe is one of the main contributing reasons why there won't be a Pokemon MMO.

MMO are usually for the teen-Adult age. The mindset of the general,ignorant masses is that pokemon is for kids. Because of that the general mindset of the public is Pokemon MMO=Bad. It won't sell well because MMO players will be embarrassed playing a Pokemon MMO. Kids won't play it due to restriction on the computer and the inevitable "Adult Stalkers on Kid MMO". Also teens won't find it entertaining because "I can't kill stuff" or "Pokemon is for kids" excuse,

My point being is that for now Pokemon is seen as a kids game, that only young children and "Immature" Adults will play. That's why pokemon devs are scared of making a MMO as for now the General Public mind set is that the public won't buy it/pay for a subscription or play it because of all the negative feed back that will generate from a game that's "Aimed" at kids.

tl;dr:
Adults will complain about stalkers, and every one else will dismiss it as a kids game.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Dude, think about it though. A pokemon MMO would be one of the most epically epic games I would ever play. Especially if they had continuous downloadable content. It'd be kind of like the anime. You'd have this world to go out on an adventure, meeting other trainers as you try to be the very best (like no one ever was). Crazy cool. Although I would want them to totally overhaul the battle system. Something much more versatile would be nice. For example, terrain factors in battle.

I agree that "real-world communication" is such a lousy john. I'm not more social because of pokemon. I mean, really =/. The only thing the current system does is limit my interaction with other pokemon fans.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Pokemon is made for kids. Cheesy dialogue and an anime that says "all pokemon are good" with villians that a five year old could see through is the reason it's a kids game.

Pokemon Collesseum is the adult game. Significantly darker themes throughout, a strong emphasis on tactics within battling, a flawed protagonist who shows no reservations about stealing, and deeply rooted criminal base that is present in multiple different forms and even outnumbers the civilians, which the protagonist never successfully eliminates, makes it the most mature pokemon game yet.

THAT should be made into an MMO.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Agreed with the thing Pokemon is for kidz, but it doesn't always have to be. Havn't the devs realized that the last generation of fans grew up already, and this current generation of kids are growing up now?

A pokemon MMO would be hard, mind you. The devs probably wouldn't give us pretty graphics or try to limit the amount of computers that could play it (similar to WoW) but even then it would be hard to maintain 493 creatures and abilities. It'd take a LOT of the Nintendo team to maintain. So maybe he's scared of losing profit off the game than he spent than what he said right there.

above poster is correct.

This is why we have, THE INTERNET!! So we never have to see each other.

Yay for gaming solitude.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Pokemon doesn't need an MMO, it's fine as it is. However, a different formula of the games would be cool; something like Colosseum's story mode instead of the traditional 8 Gyms, but done in the style of the handheld RPG's.

Pokemon is a game made for kids, people need to deal with it.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Pokemon is a game made for kids, people need to deal with it.
.....:mad:

Pokemon is a very advanced strategy game- most "kids" cannot begin to think or predict on the level of the current metagame.

A pokemon mmo..... i dunno if it would be good or not. for the record im thinking of this on a level of WoW- so healer classes (blissey, any wish-passer or aromatherapist), straight DPS classes (uhhh damage dealers? physical damage dealers would be melee classes, ranged would be special attackers, right?), support classes (umm stat boosters, like BPers- but what else? this sounds too hard to create)- and a ridiculous abundance of bosses and tier level bosses (ummm every legend could be a boss). Obviously we have tanks as well, for melee and ranged bosses (blissey speced as a special tank ftw- hippo and skarm and such could be good melee tanks)

Its pretty obvious that we could have different roles for each class.. (Blisseys main sets would be healer and special tank, shuckle could never lose threat as a tank w/ knock off)- but this just seems too intense to make a full game out of.

I say this because there is at least 200 base pokemon that people would want to start off as..... and if it could be done, id be willing to pay $15 a month.

But this was just a take on my old WoW days, because thats the only MMORPG ive ever played :)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

Pokemon is a very advanced strategy game- most "kids" cannot begin to think or predict on the level of the current metagame.
Pokemon is a game made for kids, sure, it has advanced strategy, but it is for kids.
The target audience are children, that's who Nintendo are aiming to sell to,- and they're doing a fine job.

Saying Pokemon isn't a kids game is like saying San Andreas isn't an adults game because it has a minigame were you play as a bee and collect flowers :ohwell:.

Games that are 3+ (or whatever the ESRB equivalent is) are designed for kids. They are not restricted to being just for kids, but they are the target market.

A Pokemon MMO has potential to bring the series to a new level, but it has a very good chance of breaking the series- finding people to play/ trade with to fill your dex was one of the most important things about Pokemon, and the thing that makes it stand out from most other RPG's. Just walking to a random person online, asking to battle then walking on would be the final nail in the coffin for the franchise.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Pokemon is a game made for kids, sure, it has advanced strategy, but it is for kids.
The target audience are children, that's who Nintendo are aiming to sell to,- and they're doing a fine job.

Saying Pokemon isn't a kids game is like saying San Andreas isn't an adults game because it has a minigame were you play as a bee and collect flowers :ohwell:.

Games that are 3+ (or whatever the ESRB equivalent is) are designed for kids. They are not restricted to being just for kids, but they are the target market.

A Pokemon MMO has potential to bring the series to a new level, but it has a very good chance of breaking the series- finding people to play/ trade with to fill your dex was one of the most important things about Pokemon, and the thing that makes it stand out from most other RPG's. Just walking to a random person online, asking to battle then walking on would be the final nail in the coffin for the franchise.
"Final nail in the coffin" implies that 1. something is on the verge of death
2. Doing something would guarentee said thing's death

Neither are true of Pokemon, so the expression doesn't make much sence.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
This would be such a complex MMO though... At least the way I imagine it.

I always pictured it being like the anime/manga. The battles in real time with outside factors from the environment like being able to take cover behind a tree or big rock, restricting 4 moves would still work just fine assuming you play as a trainer. You would have one Pokemon out at a time, able to switch when your Pokemon is not being targeted by an attack in the process of being casted. Legendary Pokemon would be the various extremely high leveled epic mobs throughout the world after you make it through a dungeon; as would the various villain teams, like going through a raid leading up to Giovanni as the last boss. Those kind of battles would be more like a classic MMO style with each person having one Pokemon filling in a role needed, like one guy having Hippo out to tank, another with Alakazam blasting special, Celebi healing, and etc.
Duels would be like real time trainer battles, having to take down the other trainer's six to win.
I'm basing it a lot of WoW just because that is the only MMO I have really given a good try. It would be cool to see something more original though :p

They could always go the route to play as a species of Pokemon, kinda like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I personally wouldn't like that as much just because you have to be restricted to playing as one line of Pokemon which kinda defeats the point of the game in my opinion.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

No johns, Mr. Ocon.

Excuse me while I rage!

:mad:

Its that EXACT mindset which I believe is one of the main contributing reasons why there won't be a Pokemon MMO.

MMO are usually for the teen-Adult age. The mindset of the general,ignorant masses is that pokemon is for kids. Because of that the general mindset of the public is Pokemon MMO=Bad. It won't sell well because MMO players will be embarrassed playing a Pokemon MMO. Kids won't play it due to restriction on the computer and the inevitable "Adult Stalkers on Kid MMO". Also teens won't find it entertaining because "I can't kill stuff" or "Pokemon is for kids" excuse,

My point being is that for now Pokemon is seen as a kids game, that only young children and "Immature" Adults will play. That's why pokemon devs are scared of making a MMO as for now the General Public mind set is that the public won't buy it/pay for a subscription or play it because of all the negative feed back that will generate from a game that's "Aimed" at kids.

tl;dr:
Adults will complain about stalkers, and every one else will dismiss it as a kids game.
No johns, Dark.

You don't see each other on a DS screen. >_>

WTF is he saying?
You normally need to see people in person to trade with them.

Blah blah blah. It's still a child's game.

I always pictured it being like the anime/manga. The battles in real time with outside factors from the environment like being able to take cover behind a tree or big rock, restricting 4 moves would still work just fine assuming you play as a trainer. You would have one Pokemon out at a time, able to switch when your Pokemon is not being targeted by an attack in the process of being casted. Legendary Pokemon would be the various extremely high leveled epic mobs throughout the world after you make it through a dungeon; as would the various villain teams, like going through a raid leading up to Giovanni as the last boss. Those kind of battles would be more like a classic MMO style with each person having one Pokemon filling in a role needed, like one guy having Hippo out to tank, another with Alakazam blasting special, Celebi healing, and etc.
Duels would be like real time trainer battles, having to take down the other trainer's six to win.
I'm basing it a lot of WoW just because that is the only MMO I have really given a good try. It would be cool to see something more original though :p

They could always go the route to play as a species of Pokemon, kinda like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I personally wouldn't like that as much just because you have to be restricted to playing as one line of Pokemon which kinda defeats the point of the game in my opinion.
I dunno... It wouldn't be a 'true' Pokemon game if it were like that. Gimme an old-school Pokemon game any day.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I would actually rather have an MMO game over ANOTHER re-spriting of the same game + 100 or so new creatures (most of which will never be used). This brings a chance to have a game that could potentially be the greatest... well... MMO ever. The same strategic battling system should remain, but the option of real-time control of your Pokemon isn't to unimaginable on a console.

And also, the Pokemon storyline is for kids. The actual battle system is so deep that most kids can't even comprehend it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

I kinda like this idea.

Can an MMO be fast pased, or must there always be the incredibly tedious and (personally) pointless grind which brings the entire MMO genre down?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Last time I checked, Runescape is generally played by a ton of immature preteens.

So I'm not sure why Pokemon being a kid's game has anything to do with it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
If Pokemon wants to produce another generation of the same type of game, they need to cut off all known 493 Pokemon. Put Pokemon in a completely different region of the world, say, on the other side of the planet, OR, in a completely different time period, so they could rightfully cut off all ties to the known games.

If they made a Pokemon game based in ancient times, they could include the Fossil Pokemon, and maybe a few others, but other than that <20 amount of Pokemon, the rest would be entirely new, with entirely new mechanics introduced.

If they placed it in the future, they could use some of the known Pokemon.

But I'm all for a Pokemon MMO. I'd love to see what an American developer team could make of the series.

D

Deleted member

contact M3D about this stuff. Otherwise, it enters legality issues that we can't touch.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Just for clarification, this was closed because it mentions fan-made mmos quite a few times and our new rules prohibit such talk.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom