• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the hate on smash4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
. I just needed some way to reply to some person without directly quoting them

We Sonic fans have become rugged after repeated mediocre releases. Sonic 06 is nothing, Sonic Boom on the other hand... I don't wanna think about it.
I think I might know who this is.

For what it's worth, I once watched a play through of 06 on YouTube, but I've only seen the box art of Boom.

The newest Sonic game I've played was either Sonic Adventure 2 on GC or Sonic Riders, also on GC ,if spin offs count but I can probably imagine how they've gotten worse over the years considering how often gimmicks seem to be used in them.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Speaking of new tech, here's another one

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/347d7o/new_tech_peach_invincible_head_bounce_ledge_stall/

I don't get the hate with boom as much.

06 was real garbage.
As far as I understand, Boom is hated because it's extremely boring. Even if you don't encounter bugs or glitches, it's not fun experience.

Sonic 06, well, it had some good moments. Some levels had enjoyable parts and some ideas were actually pretty cool. Music was really nice too.

Last edited:

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
If someday the community get bored of melee unbalance cast, we have hacks to fix the problem, melee will last for a few more years.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Eh, 06 pissed me off. I laughed at it sometimes but u got legit mad at it a lot.

Boom never really bored me that much or got me super angry.

A Mediocre at best game is fine with me.

A game that pissed me off and I broke the disc with a hammer.

That's different.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Speaking of new tech, here's another one

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/347d7o/new_tech_peach_invincible_head_bounce_ledge_stall/

As far as I understand, Boom is hated because it's extremely boring. Even if you don't encounter bugs or glitches, it's not fun experience.

Sonic 06, well, it had some good moments. Some levels had enjoyable parts and some ideas were actually pretty cool. Music was really nice too.
The tech's keep coming and the ride never ends.

A guy in the comments says that :zeldamelee:can do it which is nice even though I probably could never pull it off more than once, if at all.

I can guarantee that a lot of people hated boom solely for the design changes.

I don't care for the changes either and would take the normal ones over it any day, but they don't bother me.

That said, I can understand their anger very, very well.
A game that pissed me off and I broke the disc with a hammer.
I once tried to break a disc over my knee like I did with pencils as a kid.
But since I don't have :falconmelee:knee power, and to prevent possible injury and making a mess, I just stabbed it with a pencil and made a bunch of scratch marks with a knife instead.

Stabbing a disc is strangely satisfying for some reason...

otter

Smash Ace
Even if I mention some of the things I don't like about Smash4 in a positive manner, a horde of under informed fans are going to reply to it poorly. It's just too good to pass up sometimes. Then it just spirals into the same conversation we're used to.

Imagine a bad smash player challengesa good smash player to a match, amd the bad player cries about losing and calls the good player a bully. Who's responsibility is itntovchamge their behavior?

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
I should finally put my opinion on Smash 4 hate since I still haven't done so yet.

The "first thing" I'll say to potentially keep people who band wagons and hate anyone who criticizes smash 4 even if the complaint is legit and done in a kind/positive way regardless of how minor it might be, people who hate those that enjoy Melee/Brawl/64 more than 4, and people who hate for no reason at all other than to troll or get fights going at Great bay:

I don't hate 4. There is a lot of fun to be had with it.

There's more good than bad and the good stuff has more weight than the bad

(The REAL) First thing is that the game engine is basically Brawl 2.0 instead of a middle ground between it and Melee which I expected.

This isn't a bad thing, it's actually a good thing, the 2 stands for improvement, not a copy.

Of course considering how fun brawl was, it wasn't hard to improve on it.

2nd thing is the ledge mechanics. I don't have a problem with the invincibility being taken away on the second edge grab, but I really hate not being able to edge hog anymore.

Yeah it's nice not getting edge hogged anymore, but I'd rather be edge hogged and being able to do it right back than not having being able to do so at all. Also that edge hog bonus from Melee...

The new grab mechanics are the same. And not just for chain grabbing, but if someone breaks free, it's super annoying trying to go for another grab only to miss completely when it would have worked in the other games all because you have to wait for a whole second.

Plus with IC's gone and patches, infinite chain grabs or zero-death ones or just plain powerful ones could be removed completely if they really were a problem. (See PAL :sheikmelee:D-throw)

Or just give everyone 64 like throws that send everyone flying at 0%.

Some characters got some dumb changes no asked for but that is a pretty subjective area so I won't bother with that.

All I'll say on that is r.i.p.:zeldamelee:utilt kills
Finally, no :wolf:

Those are the things I have a problem with.

I don't hate 4 at all or any smash game for that matter. (Yes brawl was boring, but Wolf was incredible in that game and there were good things about it that I really enjoyed)

4 is good fun and I'll play it for a good amount of time, but there are some dumb things I don't like about it even though I understand why they did them in the first place.

And I'm still being deprived of the only character I enjoyed in Brawl for absolutely no reason at all.

tldr: 4 is good fun, plays better than Brawl, will play it for some good time, but there are dumb things about it that hurt my enjoyment of it.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
But then you lose the ability to host it at large tournament.
Melee SD Remix comes to my mind.

It's a good balance hack, but a pain to get it working.

Plus, everyone would have to play the exact same hack to make it fair.

And good luck doing that.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I really want to main Luigi in Melee, for instance, but something about him doesn't feel right. Just small things like, I really love the way he handles in Smash 4, and the controls are perfect for me in that game.
Well, if you like how Luigi handles in Sm4sh, you probably won't like him in Melee.

I think I said in a previous comment that Melee feels too stiff for me personally, and I liken that to the fact that I can't turn the tap jump button off like in Brawl onward, so...that's a bummer.
Luigi is one of the less stiff characters in Melee if played properly, depending on your definition of "stiff gameplay". That guy slides around more than anyone. His entire ground game is like "Interpretive Dancing: Smash on Ice". You might want to try someone else, tbh. Luigi is a tricky character. But a good friend of mine is a Luigi main (it's coincidence that he and I play Luigi and Mario, respectively. Don't get too excited.) and he loves that character. He thinks winning with Ol' Lu is the most rewarding thing in the game. So, there's clearly some appeal.

I often try continuing up air or up tilt strings with Luigi in Melee, but I often just end up jumping by mistake and it's so annoying and probably noobish sounding, but it just sucks.
Continuing up airs? Using the wrong plumber, my friend. Luigi's up airs don't combo as well because they push too far away with each kick. Mario's combo really well.

Luigi's cat-scratch uptilt is pretty gnarly in rapid succession, but yeah, work on not jumping. Don't slam upward on your stick, just kind of position it halfway up for tilts. Melee is a lot more subtle and finesse based than Sm4sh. It's much less forgiving. If you want to see a Luigi played properly in Melee, to see how slidey they are, here are some cool Luigi mains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WpX4Jhh7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUWwuY7-r9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8vcbdWmqqw

I know the quoted post is ancient history by now in the chat, but I had to help a fledgling Plumber.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
But to answer your question, here's my pretty valid reasons why I prefer Smash 4 over Melee, some small, others are huge to me.
  • Tap jump toggle.
  • Seemingly endless customization which I find appealing.
  • Custom stages (there's been a ongoing effort to make legal custom stages the norm. Just more options).
  • Custom moves, even though people seem very 50-50 on their inclusion in tournaments. I'm for them.
  • Variety of characters and their varying movesets. How tourney viable they will be in the long run is anyone's guess of the cast, but there has so far been a very healthy showing of diverse characters placing in tourneys which is great. There is something for everyone here.
Of course, feel free to argue against my reasoning as I'm only one guy. :)
Those all seem like pretty solid reasons to me ^_^
Though, where you see something as controlling stiffly, others may see that same thing as a sense of fluidity. To each his/her own ya know?

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Luigi is one of the less stiff characters in Melee if played properly, depending on your definition of "stiff gameplay". That guy slides around more than anyone. His entire ground game is like "Interpretive Dancing: Smash on Ice". You might want to try someone else, tbh. Luigi is a tricky character. But a good friend of mine is a Luigi main (it's coincidence that he and I play Luigi and Mario, respectively. Don't get too excited.) and he loves that character. He thinks winning with Ol' Lu is the most rewarding thing in the game. So, there's clearly some appeal.
Really appreciate your comment by the way. I'm happy someone is trying to help me like Luigi in Melee because he's the only character I want to play in Melee besides Marth and Ganondorf, and the friggin oath has just the most horrid matchups for me. :ohwell: I love his keep away moves though, particularly just his jab and back air. That knockback...

I did try the majority of the cast for a few years, a month or so at a time. I'd say of all the characters, the ones I'm the most consistent with Marth and Ganondorf, though again, I'd love to eventually learn Luigi because I'm very dedicated to that character between all games. I'll have to explore the Luigi boards on Melee soon so I can really start learning his move properties and combos.

Continuing up airs? Using the wrong plumber, my friend. Luigi's up airs don't combo as well because they push too far away with each kick. Mario's combo really well.
It's been a while since I used him, I very well probably meant up tilt strings, oops. Yeah, Mario's combo game is sick, jesus christ. Found that out the hard way in one particular tourney, heh.

Luigi's cat-scratch uptilt is pretty gnarly in rapid succession, but yeah, work on not jumping. Don't slam upward on your stick, just kind of position it halfway up for tilts. Melee is a lot more subtle and finesse based than Sm4sh. It's much less forgiving. If you want to see a Luigi played properly in Melee, to see how slidey they are, here are some cool Luigi mains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WpX4Jhh7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUWwuY7-r9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8vcbdWmqqw
I don't feel as though I'm slamming it though? Maybe it's my controller's analog stick, but I feel even slightly positioning it upwards results in an unwanted jump.

Also that Luigi play was sick to watch, wow. Thanks for sharing those, absolutely insane to watch. I love how diverse his setups are, really interesting to watch. I'll have to get cracking at him.

I know the quoted post is ancient history by now in the chat, but I had to help a fledgling Plumber.
Well thank you for the help! :b:

Those all seem like pretty solid reasons to me ^_^
Though, where you see something as controlling stiffly, others may see that same thing as a sense of fluidity. To each his/her own ya know?
Oh for sure! I mean clearly my major personal complaint with the tap jump toggle not being an option in Melee doesn't mean a thing to the best of the Melee players who body fools like it ain't no thing while for me, it's just a silly hurdle for me to have to eventually overcome I guess. I feel if it was just an option, I'd be more wanting to play Melee at a competitive level so I can actually focus on the fundamentals and tech skill without fear of screwing up, lol.

Does anyone know if the Melee 20XX Pack or SD Remix happen to have the tap jump toggle added by chance? :confused:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Yea Mario's combo game is wicked; and it's so much fun to juggle opponents, but then I get depressed when i switch to Luigi for a game or two (who I'm not nearly as practiced with) and I do sooooooo much better. You don't even have to work half as hard and you end up getting KOs much faster, he has such an easy time finishing.

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
Does anyone know if the Melee 20XX Pack or SD Remix happen to have the tap jump toggle added by chance? :confused:
SD Remix doesn't.

Not sure about 20XX but from what I've managed to find based off Reddit comments, it is possible to disable it. I'm not 100% certain, but chances are high the option exists.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
@ RIP|Merrick RIP|Merrick In Melee, I am switching from Fox to Luigi specifically for how smooth he is and how he gets across the stage with wavedashing and wavelanding. It's extremely fun to do this once you master the movement. Also tech-chase "Shin-Shoryuken" feels good. His answers to fast fallers is also a plus.

Regarding Sm4sh Luigi, I like him in that game too since he is one of the few characters to highly benefit from grabbing as well as many of his moves having low knockback actually gives him a somewhat versatile combo game (something not a lot of characters actually have). Because of how shields work in that game, "Shin-Shoryuken" out of shield is something I do quite often.

I'll say the way one would play him in both games is pretty different so I wouldn't expect skills to transfer over all that much.

Last edited:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
@ R Roukiske Well said my friend. You put it into words more cleverly than I ever could do on why Melee is also my favorite Smash game ^^

I just... dont want there to be any hate inside the community against other smash players, if possible. There must a valid reason why some prefer the other games over Melee.
I really got into Smash Bros with Brawl in terms of playing other people in serious matches thanks to the online. Brawl was also the first Smash game where I sat down and devoted myself to getting good with characters and playing it as more then a party game where I tossed bom-ombs at people.

Melee was not a bad game, I in fact played it before Brawl. I just never played it seriously, and most of my time was spent in single player modes and playing free for all matches with items on against my friends and the CPU. So while I played Melee, I had no idea things like Wavedashing, L-Canceling, and other advanced stuff like that existed.

So, Brawl not having those techs did not bother me. I got good playing Brawl, I got used to the slower, more floaty pace of that game.

About a year ago, I picked up Melee again and I could not get into it. After playing Brawl for so long, certain things about Melee got on my nerves. For one thing, the odd launch angles for characters was annoying, as was the higher gravity which made recovery for certain characters more annoying and difficult then it should be. I also did not like how quickly stocks could be lost in Melee. While Brawl often went to extremes in terms of charters surviving, I felt that Brawl often had a better back and forth ideology behind it, especially when you survive upwards of 200% in a match.

Now, I'm not a blind Brawl fanboy. That game had flaws, namely the chain grabs, extremely over powered projectiles that made certain characters like Ganondorf's life hell, and cheap gameplay tactics.

What I did like about Brawl, and what drew me toward the game more then Melee was the roster. But while Brawl in my opnion, had the better roster, Melee had better balance among its cast.

The reason why I like Smash 4 so much is that I feel that it combines the elements of Melee and Brawl that I liked. The game plays faster, but not to the insane level of Melee, KOs come much faster then in Brawl, but a really good player can endure and survive to insane amounts, it has most of the cast from Brawl, along with some great newcomers and in my opinion, it gets the balance betwee the characters down better then the first three games did. Smash 4 has the best versions of Link and Bowser, Captain Falcon and Mario are miles better then their counterparts in Brawl, and most of the cast feels viable in the right hands.

Not to mention, I like what Smash 4 brought to the table, which include custom moves, Mii fighters, are robust online mode with tons of options, and omega stages when you want to play on an FD style stage without having to stare at the FD background each and every time.

I won't argue that Melee is likely the more technical of the two games. Its just that the type of Smash that Melee offers is not something I want to play anymore. It was fun back in the day, but I got into Brawl, and Smash 4 plays like a refined Brawl that fixes many of that games issues.

I like Smash 4's pace, its options, the roster. and the gameplay. That is what keeps me playing Smash 4 over Melee or even Brawl.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
SD Remix doesn't.

Not sure about 20XX but from what I've managed to find based off Reddit comments, it is possible to disable it. I'm not 100% certain, but chances are high the option exists.
I've been told, too, that I should just play with the default controls and "git gud" with them. But the problem is, being so fixed on Brawls custom controls and having the option to toggle it off, I truly do not want to have to have it on, haha. I know it sounds silly, but it's just how I've longed to play the game, haha.

Thank you for the response though! I'll have to give it a go. 20XX was the one where characters are untouched, correct? But you have the option to toggle hazards on and off in stages I believe?

@ RIP|Merrick RIP|Merrick In Melee, I am switching from Fox to Luigi specifically for how smooth he is and how he gets across the stage with wavedashing and wavelanding. It's extremely fun to do this once you master the movement. Also tech-chase "Shin-Shoryuken" feels good. His answers to fast fallers is also a plus.
Biggest reason for me wanting to learn him, too, yeah. Ahh dude, the hard Shoryuken punishes and reads are so satisfying to pull off, so much joy to be had in them. Probably why I want to learn him so badly, such a steep learning curve, but man is it satisfying when things just click.

Regarding Sm4sh Luigi, I like him in that game too since he is one of the few characters to highly benefit from grabbing as well as many of his moves having low knockback actually gives him a somewhat versatile combo game (something not a lot of characters actually have). Because of how shields work in that game, "Shin-Shoryuken" out of shield is something I do quite often.
I feel the mixups are pretty real with him in Smash 4, so many different moves that string together, it's been a blast getting to learn his most optimum choices at certain percentages and with what DI that was applied, especially after a down throw.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
I've been told, too, that I should just play with the default controls and "git gud" with them. But the problem is, being so fixed on Brawls custom controls and having the option to toggle it off, I truly do not want to have to have it on, haha. I know it sounds silly, but it's just how I've longed to play the game, haha.

Thank you for the response though! I'll have to give it a go. 20XX was the one where characters are untouched, correct? But you have the option to toggle hazards on and off in stages I believe?
I can understand the tap jump issues.

I grew up with 64 and Melee so I'm perfectly used to tap jump controls like the pros or the "git gud" people. (They need to get good at spelling first, that will get you farther in life than adapting to tap jump controls)

Of course once Brawl came out I turned off tap jump controls because if the option is there, might as well take it.

I actually keep tap jump on in Smash 4 to make OOS easier.

Problem is that I've taped jump more in that game in 4 months than my entire Melee career which is over 8 years so I can understand how tap jumps can frig up your game play

The above issue is mostly Smash 4 being new and having a different game engine more than anything though.

Regardless, the option to turn tap jump off is there if I ever want to and having options is always good to have.

20XX doesn't modify any character's at all. If anything, it's more like a tournament/high tech practice build since it just modifies the stage select screen and has tournament rules set to as the default rules among other changes.

From what I've read is that pressing Y on the stage select will turn on hazards for stages that have them.

I think hazards are off by default for obvious reasons, but the option exists to turn them on.

tldr: I know the tap jump pain and you're assumptions about 20XX are correct.

Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
The tap jump option exists in 20XX. Characters are untouched, but if you're feeling goofy you can make Luigi misfire 100% of the time, among other things. My personal favorite feature is the red flashing for failing to L-Cancel. I never knew how many I was missing until I got 20XX and it's definitely improved my gameplay. If you're just picking up Melee though, I wouldn't suggest diving headfirst into 20XX just yet. Learn the fundamentals and the feel of the game. Spacing, timing, movement, etc. You don't need 20XX for that and it might even be a hindrance early on. I'd wait a bit before jumping into the real advanced stuff that 20XX is intended for.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I would honestly agree with the "git gud" people with regard to tap jump. If you ever want to play Melee at a high competitive level (basing this on what I've seen; I'm still working my way out of pools at my locals, so I'm just a low-mediocre player), you'll have to get used to tap jump because normal setups are vanilla Melee and don't have the option. I grew up with it so I've never had problems with leaving tap jump on, but it's helped me a lot not just in Melee, but also in PM. I'm an Ike main in PM, so using JC QD into grab or U-Smash is a lot easier for me with tap jump on.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I suppose so.

I've grown up with N64 and Melee for so long man, though obviously I was only 6 when Melee came out and I'd play it for hours upon hours to no end with friends for years to come. It wasn't until last year that I learned of how strong the scene was for Melee and wanted to give it a go competitively (been playing Brawl competitively since around 2010, sue me), and the tap jump thing has only now become an issue for the games that don't have it. I feel my tech skills, combos, and reads are solid enough when playing Project M, but man, the transition to Melee is hard.

Guess I gotta just suck it up and practice it in vanilla Melee, meh...

Or just buy another Wii and play PM, haha.

Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I suppose so.

I've grown up with N64 and Melee for so long man, though obviously I was only 6 when Melee came out and I'd play it for hours upon hours to no end with friends for years to come. It wasn't until last year that I learned of how strong the scene was for Melee and wanted to give it a go competitively (been playing Brawl competitively since around 2010, sue me), and the tap jump thing has only now become an issue for the games that don't have it. I feel my tech skills, combos, and reads are solid enough when playing Project M, but man, the transition to Melee is hard.

Guess I gotta just suck it up and practice it in vanilla Melee, meh...

Or just buy another Wii and play PM, haha.
It's worth it to just get used to not jumping on accident. You'll get it. Just takes some muscle memory. The thing about Melee is so many people have different ways of doing the same things. Some people hold the controller like a claw, a great deal of people differ between their uses of L and R (for instance, I use L for wavedash, R for shield, L for air dodge, and R for spot dodge... it's weird), some people jump with X, some jump with Y. Some people like the C-Stick, some use directionals and A. Some do aerials with Z. I don't have a lot of subtlety in my hand movements, so I sort of flick the bottom of X for short hops, where some people tap lightly (which I would recommend).

Anyways, my point is just work on not jumping and you'll find your own way to up-tilt that works best for you.

As for PM, I love the game and I think it's a lot of fun, but I fear for its future at this point. I'm sure it'll survive, but it's taken a few big hits recently. The tech in that game, to me at least, feels like Melee with training wheels (not being derogatory. I have a lot of respect for the PM community, but it does seem like the tech is more forgiving), so it might be a good place to start if you're having a tough time figuring things out in Melee. I personally didn't start with PM, so idk how that learning process might go, but I've heard it's not a bad training tool.

Whatever. It's 3 a.m. I'm rambling. I'm sure there's some useful words in here somewhere. :beezo:

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
In response to this topic, it's because some people don't like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U. It can be for a potentially endless amount of reasons as to why. It's no different on why some people hate specific books, movies, genres, people, landscape, anything. You yourself can be hated just for existing or not existing. That's just how humanity works. I don't know why people don't know this already.

amoimon

Smash Rookie
People don't like change...or the fact that it feels floaty compared to melee's fast pace and stronger gravity.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
I don't think you can be hated for not existing.
I meant to say that as your lack of existence could be bemoaned by some people. I don't know why that wasn't put in the original post.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
"Why isn't there a Megaman Legends 3!"

just an example.
That's not hating something for not existing. That's hating the idea of something not existing. The idea that you hate actually does exist. The thing that doesn't exist is actually something good, that you wish existed. You hate whatever is preventing its existence.

Joninja

Smash Rookie
I am being absolutely serious, and am trying to find answers to the one question i have been wondering about the most. Please i would love for there to be serious replies in this thread and no "Smash4 is for noobs/casual" or "melee is only spacies" talk here.

I joined the competitive scene when smash 4 came out, i dont play melee competitively, so just some background info there.

Now, i have noticed whenever i watch any cool smash 4 tourney videos, or also apex 2015, there has been a lot of comments from mostly (i understand not all), but mostly Melee fans bashing on smash 4. And apparently this happened with brawl as well, which if im not mistaken, died off as a popular competitive game.

So being pretty much new to the smash scene and all, i never understood, Why the hate on Smash 4? Is there something the Melee scene is afraid of? Do you think Smash 4 might overtake Melee popularity? Or tournament game spots will put in Smash 4 instead of Melee? Are you afraid that Smash 4 will kill the Melee scene? Real talk, why all the hate? I mean, i don't see why the Melee community shows some sort of need to bash on Smash 4, when they can enjoy the great game that Melee is instead.

This is just my opinion and I know I'll probably get some hate, but I actually like Smash 4 just as much as I do Melee. Yes, they play differently, but that's what I love.

I'm a Marth main in SSBM and when I got SSB4, I realized that he's not that good in this game. I basically searched the roster for a new main and I stumbled upon Ness. I never would've thought that I'd be maining Ness, but Smash 4 is all about new. I think change is a good thing sometimes.

Some people don't like change and that's why I think some people hate Smash 4. It's because it's different.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I wouldn't say that people don't like change, but that they don't like change that they feel isn't justified. For some people, they feel the AT of Melee are extremely important to the game and when they see it's removed, they feel it isn't justified. Whereas someone who doesn't see them as important, or find them to actually detract from the experience (my opinion on L-Cancelling), the change is justified.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Starting to see the "people don't like change" here in this thread (and elsewhere). To be clear, in my perspective, its not that I don't like change, it's that the game is a completely different game. So understand, people may not like the game because it really is just too different. Its not that they changed a few things, it's that they changed what we love about the previous title.

I mean, if basketball changed from shooting the ball with your hand to hitting it with your head to shoot, it would still have the same basic mechanics, but the joy of throwing a ball into a basket is gone. You might like to hit the ball with your head, but I preferred throwing it in for the Kobe. Wow that turned into what probably is an awful analogy, but I'll leave it in there.

If they made the next smash with higher gravity, thus putting the existence of the tech chase game that rewards offense (personally love that even though my tech chasing isn't great). Higher hit stun for more combos and less neutral game resets. More fluid and controllable movement (they could get rid of wavedash for all I care as long as we can move how we want to move). You know, just some things Melee had that many players liked, I think I would go ham on that new game. Even if this game existed, there are a few people who would still prefer Melee, but at least it would be a small change from the game as opposed to a giant change.

Edit: @ Kurri ★ Kurri ★ welp you sorta beat me to it. And you didn't have to write a mini essay to say your point.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
This is just my opinion and I know I'll probably get some hate, but I actually like Smash 4 just as much as I do Melee. Yes, they play differently, but that's what I love.

I'm a Marth main in SSBM and when I got SSB4, I realized that he's not that good in this game. I basically searched the roster for a new main and I stumbled upon Ness. I never would've thought that I'd be maining Ness, but Smash 4 is all about new. I think change is a good thing sometimes.

Some people don't like change and that's why I think some people hate Smash 4. It's because it's different.
Melee players don't hate on it because it's different they don't like it because it's a step back again like Brawl was. Melee is like "The Matrix" and then Brawl was basically "The Matrix Reloaded" and then Sm4sh is like "The Matrix Revolutions". They didn't get better and they weren't even of the same calibur even if they are "different", from a competitive stand point they were neutered. Bad change is bad, and overall embarrassing for the series in the FGC.

The main mistake the OP made was asking Melee fans why they don't like something that is more casual. That's like going into a room or Metallica fans and asking them "Why u no like One Direction? They good, you are wrong. Plz validate my taste in music now"

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Bad change is bad, and overall embarrassing for the series in the FGC.
Could you imagine what the FGC would do if they neutered something like Marvel in the same fashion? I think we're pretty nice people at heart judging by tournaments I've been to. I think the rest of the FGC would start fires.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Melee players don't hate on it because it's different they don't like it because it's a step back again like Brawl was. Melee is like "The Matrix" and then Brawl was basically "The Matrix Reloaded" and then Sm4sh is like "The Matrix Revolutions". They didn't get better and they weren't even of the same calibur even if they are "different", from a competitive stand point they were neutered. Bad change is bad, and overall embarrassing for the series in the FGC.

The main mistake the OP made was asking Melee fans why they don't like something that is more casual. That's like going into a room or Metallica fans and asking them "Why u no like One Direction? They good, you are wrong. Plz validate my taste in music now"
Yet both games outclasses every other game in numbers at EVO expect for Street Fighter.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Exhibit A (Don't worry buddy, your name isn't in the quote, so it isn't a reply :D )
Point is, change isn't the problem, it's just your perception of it. If you see the change as bad, it's gonna be bad. I don't mind the change, and in some cases I actually prefer it.

I think @ R Roukiske actually made a great analogy (perhaps just worded badly). All of the basic principles are there, but why do I have to shoot with my head now? It doesn't feel justified.

Also, to whomever this may concern, it's probably beneficial to say "I think" rather than saying "It is" especially if you're not going to explain and resort to what I believe are lackluster analogies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom