• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why not Dair

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
I'm lost. Most of the Oli vids i watch noone ever uses the Dair spike off stage. I mean i know that Oli 's gimping lvl make his potential as a interceptor drastically low but I've only seen one or two Olis that do it. The Dair has a Spike that makes it a sweet meteor smash and that equals very low percent kills. Maybe there is something i am missing something in the Oli metagame that i am overlooking so can someone explain it to me

Fino

Smash Master
Lol. Watch any olimar 'combo' vid.... most are just spike vids.
Anyways (on topic), going off the ledge to attack with olimar is risky, and dair has low priority and leaves olimar really open. IMO there are a lot better options for olimar. I get a spike in every now in again.
*This is coming from an olimar who loves to play off the edge btw*
:D

~Fino

Edit: I'm not saying it's bad... olimar's spike is good, just make sure you're going to get it off ;)

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Most Olimar highlight/combo videos have spikes.

I usually set myself up for a blue bthrow or heave pikmin as my opponent is recovering. But I almost always try the Dair. It has great horizontal knockback if you hit it right as well as spiking.

Fino

Smash Master
Most Olimar highlight/combo videos have spikes.

I usually set myself up for a blue bthrow or heave pikmin as my opponent is recovering. But I almost always try the Dair. It has great horizontal knockback if you hit it right as well as spiking.
It's so finicky though... it seems to favor the horizontal knock back more than the spike (for me)

~Fino

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
I know its just i LOVE to play off the stage and granted there have been a many times i have had to play catch up to get a stock back but there is just as many time where i three stocked someone for just from the spikes i was just wondering

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
I mean of course i know i'm not meta knight and can't go far i mean the distance of a short hop but just sitting next to the ledge and giving you opponent the time it takes till jesus comes back to regroup is just....you know to me not a good idea

fishyz0911

Smash Rookie
I used to dair a lot but im starting to find that a lot of players have good answers to olimars edge game. MK has a good upB; ROB nair, fair and can survive even after getting daired, falco usually never gives me the option because he side B's. Those are the people i usually play against so most times i feel it wiser (not necessarily funner) to side B pikmin off the ledge to either cause extra damage/ disrupt them and try to prepare an attack for when they get back (like a fsmash or usmash). The only smart thing in terms of edge game for olimar in terms of spiking i feel is a SH spike when they are just coming up off the edge.

I think that trying to play an opponent in an edge game is risky for olimar, but nonetheless it is fun. If you are going to go for it make sure you do it fast.

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
What you talking about? Lots of highlights and combos vids have olimar spiking :p

and its really good to use. But i sometimes use the dair on stage aswell ;)

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
I admit i don't Dair onstage as much as i should becuz of the ground lag but i'm not saying that i only Dair off stage this discussion is really just why don't ppl intercept with oli. I just saw this vid where the Oli would just stand there everytime Lucario went offstage and it gave him time to breath. What i am saying is that just becuz your afraid of of being edgehogged you shouldn't just sit on stage. I mean get into intercepting and mix it up and there is no way every character has an answer to all of your attacks so GET OFF AND ATTACK ARMY OF CAPTAINS.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
It's pretty easy to dodge spikes in this game, so they don't happen to often, but I have noticed something pretty cool. When fighting mk, they will often go for an up b if your above them off the stage. The up b only has great kill potential when it's used next to the edge, towards off the level. So, if the mk is recovering and you jump out, the mk will possibly up b. Since dair has a long lasting hitbox, if you time it right, or they time it poorly, you can dair them out of the up b, either spiking, or killing off the side, since dair has amazing knockback when it doesn't spike. You might be hit also, but it won't kill you even at reasonably high percents, since you be hit towards the stage.

I admit i don't Dair onstage as much as i should becuz of the ground lag but i'm not saying that i only Dair off stage this discussion is really just why don't ppl intercept with oli. I just saw this vid where the Oli would just stand there everytime Lucario went offstage and it gave him time to breath. What i am saying is that just becuz your afraid of of being edgehogged you shouldn't just sit on stage. I mean get into intercepting and mix it up and there is no way every character has an answer to all of your attacks so GET OFF AND ATTACK ARMY OF CAPTAINS.
I never just let them come back. The oli you watched had no reason to sit back, and was just playing poorly, imo.

Snail

Smash Lord
Fsmash edgeguarding is both safer and more effective against many characters, but spiking works well on some. I only do it occasionally though...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
dthrow>RARdair to backside of opponent (and very fast)> dtilt =awesome

they gotta DI towards you though.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Streetlight Manifesto, that's what you're missing

I do secretly desire to spike everyone I possibly can, but I can't do that in tournament >_<
One move that gives me almost as much satisfaction, however, is to run offstage and fair opponent's into the wall, which isn't as risky.

BTW, does anyone know if you can tilt your spikes so that they don't make you DI down so aggressively? That's one of the problems I've always had and for some reason, I never try that out :/

Oh, and to Kasha... footstool spiking feels ridiculously good indeed

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
*random*
@norra
omg ur in a crew lmao, and u didn't invite me i hate u >.< just playing lol can i mm your crew for leadership :p

on topic, i go for it some, i just don't chase with it... but theres nothing better then spiking a metgay while he up-b's..... its strict timing, but if u can predict their up-b, u can spike them through it

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
Truth be told if i am truly looking for a satisfying footstool to a Dair spike I go with Marth to not only footstool but to do beautiful Tip Dmg as well it just always feels amazing

Top Bottom