• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why No Fourside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glide

Smash Ace
I find no problems sweetspotting even illusions and phantasms, much less Dolphin Slash, blazer, and Gee-dubya's "FIRE!" attacks; I dunno what people are doing to screw this up on Battlefield >_>. 8 out of the 10 Peach players I know have no troubles with the edges either; the others are apparently being careless, or just plain sucking at timing their drop from float and such. Falling under the level and being unable to recover is your own fault. You knew the risk was there, and you took it. Nobody forced you to attempt your d-air, or dangerous ledge-guarding technique. If it works, then so be it; you've just won yourself a good lead. If you fail, then that's a problem, but it's one that shows up in stages other than battle-field too. Botched edge-guards are the number one cause of Self Destructs, coming in just ahead of phantasms off the ledge. The stage itself isn't broken; it's simply that people have trouble (for some reason) with the edges. If you've got good footage of battlefield sucking and glitching on you, then please, prove me wrong. Until then, I'll keep my stance.

Rukazor

Smash Ace
Originally posted by FallenAngelII
Rukazor: Both those stages are banned so it doesn't really matter :D.
Hehe, I know, but whether a stage is banned or not doesn't mean they still can't be used as examples ;)

KaLIbeR

Smash Apprentice
ugh i think that place is horrible
narrow places to fall down scary:(

im not gonna complain about not having enough space
because i think playin on those small places bring out more competition and is a bit harder

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Neophos, your English seems to worsen by the day. I never once said ban Battlefield. I never even mentioned banning in the same context. I said remove it from random, something that's been up for discussion for a while now.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Anyway, I do however agree with Battlefield. If not ban it like MrSilver apparentely did for DT10, at least take it off random.
I take that as you want it banned.

And a quick rewording then:

"So, we should take it off random because you suck?"

Happy? ;D

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Originally posted by Neophos
I take that as you want it banned.

And a quick rewording then:

"So, we should take it off random because you suck?"

Happy? ;D
Since I've never seen you play I'm not going to argue whether you yourself sucks or not. odds are you are better then me. but does it really matter? in 0.00 it is way to easy to fall through the edge. and if there is any slight chance that the stage will make a glitch that will cost someone a stock without a thing the player can do about it, isnt that enough to get it removed from random? whether a scrub dies from it or someone like Ken or Azen, it takes away so much from the match.

(btw: I realize that was directed towards Fallen, but the point is still valid.)

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
OH I got it. SO what you are saaying is that since it takes more skill and timing to make the ledge on Battlefield, it's unfair?

Like Glide, I've had no problems with it and I'm a Marth player. Must come from straight under almost.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
eh? its a glitch. no amount of "skill" makes it any different. whether it is avoidable or not has nothing to do with this. anytime a glitch interferes with the match, and either causes you to die, or change your fight style it ruins the match. you are fighting your opponent, not the stage.

edit: ah, now I get it. you appearently have no idea what we are talking about. should've known by your response. you should probably try to learn instead of put people down. I will state it again for you. while recovering you can pass through the edge and into the stage. no amount of skill can allow you to avoid this.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Ok, apparently, FAII has experienced the glitch, since he's complaining and we don't.

I played lots of times with and against him, and plenty of times I've seen him die from the supposedly "glitchy edges". I've never seen anything except a missjudged fastfall, a misscalculated sweetspot or plain sucky recovery usage. No "z0mg I hit t3h edge but fell thru!!!1!", no "z0mg It's liek mewtwo pulled me thru t3h edge!", only flaws made by the players.

I can't sweetspot on the stage with all chars because I suck at judging Falcon's and Ganon's height gained from up B, but I can sweetspot it with Peach, Link, Fox (illusion and Firefox), Falco (same), Ness, etcetc.

So unless I am super-l33t on sweetspotting, and the most lucky person ever to never experience the glitch, I'd say you guys just are missjudging the edges and sweetspot heights.

Neophos

Smash Ace
You complained plenty of times on the "glitchy" edges on Battlefield.

Because if you DId and came from above, you'd never touched the edge, since you never use anyone but Peach.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Last time - Janaury, when at...What's his name, Stan?

And when we were in Finland.

I only played one short match vs you on RoS, so I dunno about there >_>

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You did? I don't remember us playing at RoS. And I cannot remember myself suiciding on BF and then complaining about it at Stan's place or at RN4... I'm sure I suicided a few times, but I didn't go "Glitchy edges!" over it.

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
I haven't put anyone down. I dont recall ever once calling anyone names, I simply said that FA had unsound reasoning behind his arguments.

I have never seen or experienced glitches on Battlefield, and I've been playing this game awhile heh....every time I miss, it's due to suckiness on my part, I just learn to improve my timing.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Well the BF edge are despite players talent a bit glitchy, since sometimes you might happen to go through the ledge by trying to sweetspot with PK Missile from 45 degrees up. This doesn´t happen in FD for example.
Off course you can always adapt that is not my complain but I wouldn´t keep his level at random.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Yuna, we played one match on RoS. I was Sheik, won with..1 or 2 stock left.

VilNess: FD has it's "slide" under the edge, while BF doesn't. That doesn't mean BFs edges are glitchy, just diffrent -_-

It's a great stage to have on random. It's a great stage overall. Most of the community already banned almost 60% of all stages, and took almost all of random, why remove even more stages?

FaceLoran

Smash Champion
I agree with what Neophos is saying. Just because it doesnt let you come back easily by sliding like on FD, DL64, FoD, etc. doesn't mean it should be off random.

Fasting

Banned via Administration
well i dont do good on battlefield.
BAN IT
seriously i got probably a 1:5 win ratio on that level, so it definitely has glitchy edges.
sometimes i try to grab the edge but i cant reach it. this level is so screwed up its rediculus

Neophos

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Fasting
seriously i got probably a 1:5 win ratio on that level, so it definitely has glitchy edges.
OH NOEZ I SUCK AN CANT GRAB EDGES THUS THEY ARE GLITCHY BAN BAN BAN!

-___-

Show me a vid were someone clearly should've grabbed the ledge, but instead fell through it.

Sure, we could also use the argument that Mewtwo can kill Luigi by pulling him through the stage...

I HAVE A 1:10 VICTORY RATE ON POKMON STADIUM IT MUST MEAN THE STAGE IS GLTICY BAN IT BAN IT!!

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Okay, Neophos, we get your reasons. The only reason I'd like it off of Random(but still usable) is because of those edges, since it looks like you should grab onto it, but you have to be further out to grab them. Other than that, I'm fine with the stage.

«Vü§»

Smash Apprentice
Fourside is a good level, with pros and cons just like any other. No reason to ban it. Peach's wall bomb crap is already banned from stalling, so why does it matter if you have a level where it's simply possible to do it on.

JoshCube

BRoomer
BRoomer
This kind of reminds me of Halo 2 tournaments banning certant stuff the game allows them to do, such as the Dummy Glitch or a glitch where the player can be launched onto the edge of the map and sit there the entire match with the bomb.

It depends on the person who is holding the tournament. If people want to ban stuff that stalls the game, then thats their say so. However its not exactly cheating because its something that the game ALLOWS you to do.

However I dont think Microsoft is banning people for using glitches to cheat on Halo 2. What they probably should do is install patches for that. But it all depends on the tournament.

This happend to me one time in a Mario Kart tournament I went to in Australia back in 98. The guy kept stalling the match by sitting on top of the block fort and constantly using the Star over and over. Then if he got a random item, he would use it then grab another star and run around the top of the roof.

Stuff like this can be done in many games cause they arent "perfected". But if the tournament holders want to make it a rule, thats their rule. Even if the game allows it.

Neophos

Smash Ace
How to ban stalling?

If stalling is being between the buildings for 3 minutes, you are between the buildings for 2 minutes and 59 seconds.

If it's not coming anywhere by wallbombing, then wall bomb to the top, fall back down, wall bomb to top etcetc...

Unles you wrote like, 10 pages on the exact measures about it, it would never be banable. And you'd probably need a judge for each match in that case, something that could me very difficult.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Stalling is large amounts of unnecessary wallbombing. If it's clear to be used as an alternative to recovery or the only way to recover, then it is not stalling. If you wallbomb from the bottom of the level to the top, where an opponent can't reach you, and continue to do so, that's stalling. If you jump down a hole and start wallbombing, that's stalling.

Please stop trying to make erroneous situations that would be clear that intentional stalling is happening. That, and give Peach players more credit than that. :/

Neophos

Smash Ace
"give Peach players more credit than that. :/"

Ha! I'm sure if it would win them the match, they would do it. It's the easiest possible way to win, why not do it?

And they could wall bomb up, and "happen" to fall down in the hole after like..Doing an fair..and they fall deep down...And have to wallbomb ;D

Then, they come to the other hole...and =O DO ANOTHER FAIR AND FALL DOWN! Wallbomb, wallbomb. And unless you ban doing DJC'd fairs into middle air, you can't ban that "tactic".

Also, in the scenario you mentioned: what if he "misses" a wallbomb? Like, are too close, or to far away, or is to slow, or got a PUNCH IN THE FACE at the same time, making him fall down again. Would it be acceptable? Or would he be disqualified?

You can't ban stalling, you can't ban camping, you can't ban infinites. Unles, as said, you write a 10 pen ruleset about it, and no one would read it anyways.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Uh, no. Not everyone is as low as you make them out to be. And I don't know any Peach players that would purposefully do that. Besides, we all know what stall wallbombing is, and if that is really the only reason a stage like Fourside is banned, then some people must really be paranoid. Maybe it won't get it onto the random select stages, but I think it should at least be on there as a counterpick stage.

Really, Neophos, you're just trying to make it seem like every Peach player will cheat to win. ;_;

If they continuously 'miss' a wallbomb, which shouldn't be because you can hammer the weaker bomber and still go up the stage, you'll be able to tell that's stalling. And obviously if someone knocked Peach back DOWN, she would HAVE to wallbomb to get back up, or else get KOed. It clearly states for recovery purposes. That would be for a recovery purpose.

Glide

Smash Ace
Peach on fourside is boring. Falcon on the other hand is quite crazy. Less laser, more pillar/shine. Rawr.

Glide

Smash Ace
Err? I put an "n" on the end of Falco =(

But yes, you got me right. Falcon would also be fun, now that I think about it >_>

Neophos

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Mikey Lenetia
Uh, no. Not everyone is as low as you make them out to be. And I don't know any Peach players that would purposefully do that. Besides, we all know what stall wallbombing is, and if that is really the only reason a stage like Fourside is banned, then some people must really be paranoid. Maybe it won't get it onto the random select stages, but I think it should at least be on there as a counterpick stage.
So what exactly is "stall bombing"? And if, after I came up with wallbombing, makes a DJC fair and falls down again, and have to use another 30 secs to wall bomb up, is that stalling? Or if I grab the ledge and drops, because else I would get hit by an attack, and then start wallbombing to get up, would that be stalling? Or if I wallbomb on the right side of the stage, but misses a wall bomb at the top and falls down to the bottom again, would that be stalling?

Really, Neophos, you're just trying to make it seem like every Peach player will cheat to win. ;_;
I sure know that if I could win without any hassle by doing it, I would. Human nature, f00.

If they continuously 'miss' a wallbomb, which shouldn't be because you can hammer the weaker bomber and still go up the stage, you'll be able to tell that's stalling. And obviously if someone knocked Peach back DOWN, she would HAVE to wallbomb to get back up, or else get KOed. It clearly states for recovery purposes. That would be for a recovery purpose.
What about on the side of buildings? You could easily miss a wallbomb there, and since you don't want to get KOd, you'd start wallbombing again when you regain control, right? Which is around the bottom of the stage. Would that be stalling?

There is NO way to ban stalling, camping or infinites.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
It isn't even worth debating with you, Neophos, because you keep bringing up the same points over and over again. If it wasn't for that, I could see your side. There are sides to sweetspot to help a Peach player climb up, so it isn't like they have no choice but to keep f-airing or repeatedly drop down the ledge. If you can simply jump back up to recover, but choose to wallbomb, and you've done it ten different times when you're ahead, that's stalling. The recovery time of a Peach Bomber will not make you go all the way to the bottom, so if you wait until that point to start bombing again, that's stalling.

Just because you would doesn't mean others will. I know for a fact that, ahead or not, I would never go so low as to repeatedly stall a match in order to win.

That statement of mine was for the more common pits of Fourside. Otherwise, going up the buildings on the outside, that would not be stalling unless the Peach player continuously has chances to get onto the stage but opts not to. It's pure common sense to see if someone would be stalling on purpose.

Stalling is banned, usually when it's a sure-fire unstoppable and unpunishable way, like Jigglypuff doing repeated rising Pounds. Camping is looked down upon severely, and infinites are only available to certain characters, which I have yet to hear of anything really getting banned(since I don't know all the infinites, only Fox's and Falco's).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom