• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why No Fourside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Originally posted by Mikey Lenetia
It isn't even worth debating with you, Neophos, because you keep bringing up the same points over and over again. If it wasn't for that, I could see your side. There are sides to sweetspot to help a Peach player climb up, so it isn't like they have no choice but to keep f-airing or repeatedly drop down the ledge. If you can simply jump back up to recover, but choose to wallbomb, and you've done it ten different times when you're ahead, that's stalling. The recovery time of a Peach Bomber will not make you go all the way to the bottom, so if you wait until that point to start bombing again, that's stalling.
So, if a Peach player chooses to wall bomb instead of using her second jump, that's stalling? So you force them to use their second jump? That's not very nice.

And what if you miss the DJC'd fair ten times and have to wall bomb up? Would you say that someone who misses ten times with a DJC'd fair and falls over the edge, leaving no way to survive but wallbombing, is stalling and needs to get disqualified?

If you are too close and wallbomb, you get a good bit of lag. Then you need to DI from the building before starting the next bomber. That could easily take enough time for you to fall to the bottom of the stage. So if you miss a wall bomber, you are stalling?

And what if you get hit when you gets up, and don't want to recover with the parasol because that just would make you get hit by the edgeguarder again? Would you count it as stalling if you're just trying to survive?

Just because you would doesn't mean others will. I know for a fact that, ahead or not, I would never go so low as to repeatedly stall a match in order to win.
You might have honor. I do not. If something without any problems can give me the win, I would use it.

That statement of mine was for the more common pits of Fourside. Otherwise, going up the buildings on the outside, that would not be stalling unless the Peach player continuously has chances to get onto the stage but opts not to. It's pure common sense to see if someone would be stalling on purpose.
If you are near the top, but by misstake makes an non-smash bomber instead of a smash, falls down, DIs out, and first can start wallbombing again at the bottom, would that be stalling? Not being able to do it perfectly is stalling?

Stalling is banned, usually when it's a sure-fire unstoppable and unpunishable way, like Jigglypuff doing repeated rising Pounds. Camping is looked down upon severely, and infinites are only available to certain characters, which I have yet to hear of anything really getting banned(since I don't know all the infinites, only Fox's and Falco's).
Camping might be "looked down upon", but it's without a doubt one of the most useful strategies in a lot of games, including this.

Falco has infinites? x_X INFO. NOW!

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
Falco has infinites? x_X INFO. NOW!
Okay, on the Falco infinite, it is really a pseudo-infinite. I refer to it as an 'infinite,' but I forgot the quotes. It's where the Falco keeps using the shine to knock you up, then jumps and d-air spikes you down, shine up, spike down, rinse, repeat. I haven't found a way to break out of it other than continuous DI in the opposite direction in which the Falco is going with the 'infinite.' It's REALLY painful no matter what you do, though, and seems nearly impossible to break out of until some percentage. Dope, who is a fairly advanced Falco player, was able to pull this off a lot back when I played him.

So, if a Peach player chooses to wall bomb instead of using her second jump, that's stalling? So you force them to use their second jump? That's not very nice.

And what if you miss the DJC'd fair ten times and have to wall bomb up? Would you say that someone who misses ten times with a DJC'd fair and falls over the edge, leaving no way to survive but wallbombing, is stalling and needs to get disqualified?

If you are too close and wallbomb, you get a good bit of lag. Then you need to DI from the building before starting the next bomber. That could easily take enough time for you to fall to the bottom of the stage. So if you miss a wall bomber, you are stalling?

And what if you get hit when you gets up, and don't want to recover with the parasol because that just would make you get hit by the edgeguarder again? Would you count it as stalling if you're just trying to survive?
I said the Bomber can only be used for recovery purposes. If the Peach player opts to do that instead so they could, say, air dodge onto the stage or cancel a potential spike, by all means. That part was covered by the recovery ruling on wallbombing that always holds true.

I cannot recall ANY situation that REQUIRES or even RECOMMENDS using an f-air ten times in a row in order to recover. It also has to go into how the whole match is played. Does the Peach player repeatedly do it when he/she has another option? Does he/she keep going back to the same place to do it? If it's a clear pattern of trying to stall like that, then that is when a DQ should be issued.

You might have honor. I do not. If something without any problems can give me the win, I would use it.
Well, like I said, it's different for every person. In recent tournaments, I haven't heard of any DQs for stalling, nor complaining about stalling. So you may be the only one that would honestly consider it. However, Fourside was banned because of stalling. Stalling has been banned. Why should we also ban Fourside if the thing that caused it to be banned is gone?

If you are near the top, but by misstake makes an non-smash bomber instead of a smash, falls down, DIs out, and first can start wallbombing again at the bottom, would that be stalling? Not being able to do it perfectly is stalling?
That's where things get blurry. I know I don't have wallbombing down as an art, though it won't stop me from trying to recover using it. However, the only area in which a Peach player would have the opportunity to do that would be if they were decently close to the top of the level, anyhow. This is the only area in which I agree with you that it's hard to tell. Is the person feigning their inability to do a perfect wallbomb every time? Or is it the real deal and they're just desperate to come back alive? I think here, the only way to really tell is to pay attention to the Peach player. If they showed the ability to always do a perfect wallbomb, then when they 'happen' to 'miss' a perfect wallbomb more times than they should, they're stalling.

But here is the only place I can see your point. The rest, I can't see very well.

Camping might be "looked down upon", but it's without a doubt one of the most useful strategies in a lot of games, including this.
Camping and stalling are two different things. There are strategies that work against campers. Against stallers, there is no strategy to it other than always keeping them out of that situation.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Originally posted by LinksterJake88
Fourside belongs in there because it's Bowser's LEVEL. Period.
I don't get why it's bowser's level

My best guess is that because of the smaller platforms it's very easy to do his fair without as much retaliation, but I could be wrong.

I don't play Bowser though. >.>

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
fourside is a disgusting stage
theres no where to ****ing fight on there
it'll but just a bunch and cat and mouse throughout the whole match

you people that are saying "since stalling is banned, why ban the stages?" need see the big picture.
Note that EVERY stage on which it is possible to easily stall the match is banned. Whoever decided to ban these stages, didn't give a **** that stalling was banned, they didn't even want you to even THINK about stalling. They want to nip it in the bud, even though its banned.
You're argument is the equivalent of
"Doing drugs is illegal. so why is it illegal to possess drugs?"

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind fourside, it's one of the 4 stages on my random list.

I'm with the person who says that as long as both agree, it should be playable. Why not? It's fair and it gives both parties a chance to disagree, plus it lets us use every stage. Granted there are some stages I think no-one would want to play (flat-zone and icicle mountain come readily to mind) but the reason they are there is to use them.

I usually only play on FD, DLN64, Fourside, Corneria and Pokemon Stadium. They are the ones I think should be on random.

Tera253

Smash Ace
there are some characters that like to get the upper hand, and then stall the rest of the match so they can win it. is that right?
~Tera253~

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
there are some characters that like to get the upper hand, and then stall the rest of the match so they can win it. is that right?
~Tera253~
First of all before i reply to this ******** post i just want to ask why we uber bumped this..?

And secondly, Tera read the thread, thats not why its banned, its banned because its a campers heaven and that the camara sucks when the UFO appears. Honestly though would you read the thread seriously.. or play in a tourney, stalling is illegal so idk what the **** your thinking...

Big Burn

Smash Lord
lol i was drunk last night and doing random posts... this thread is so old and irrelevant.... i have no idea why i posted in it lol.... o well.... im suprised anyone responded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom