• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why main Pichu when you can main Pikachu?

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
Not a Pichu put-down, I'm just curious as to what he benefits of playing Pichu over Pikachu are. Is he faster? I know he isn't stronger, and some of his moves even have recoil. I'm just not seeing the advantage, besides that he's cute looking and he can wear goggles.

link2702

Smash Champion
Some folks like playing the underdog(see; all ganon mains in brawl)

generally players who truly dedicate their time to a low/garbage tier like pichu kirby etc., are doing it just for the fact that they like the character and/or they like playing as an underdog.

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Pichu can Walljump and has more options with his recovery (such as going straight up twice), Pichu also has 1 stronger move (side-b)

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
Alright I see, I guess most Pichu mains just really like the character Pichu in itself. Thats a little bit of the reason why I play Ness too

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
Pichu's got perfect agility which is pretty neat. His bair is less laggy which is sweet, he can wall jump too. Grabs are better too.

Also it's more fun playing the more obscure characters that people don't see too often.

And why does everyone like the pilot Pichu the best? lol He looks soo much better with a green back pack on.

Last edited:

Cheebs

Smash Apprentice
I used to main Pichu, and I didn't waste all the time put into him to just drop him. I still play him quite frequently and was planning on playing him at a tourny coming up in a week or two. Let's see how that goes lol

phish-it

Smash Champion
Play Pichu for Pichu reasons, but don't main the character unless you are some kind of masochist hipster.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Because Pichu is the most bad*** mouse child in the world. he has blue goggles and a blue scarf, and a green backpack/scarf as well.
and ALL his Electricity-based moves are stronger then Pikachu's. Pichu's only real exploitable weaknesses (in casual play and from what I can tell) are in his small hitboxes, decreased range, and extreme lightness, as well as recoil being a slight inconvenience. (Sakurai went overboard with the "Pichu hurts itself" thing)
seriously, every time I fully charge Pichu's Skull Bash, I yell, "VOLT TACKLE TO THE FACE!" and send my foe right out of the Galaxy :)
and I main the adorable mouse in Melee.

TheRisingLlama

Smash Rookie
"19. Pichu
A very underrated character, his Nair strings alone (which only have 6 frames landing lag which is the smallest in the game) is his staple bread and butter and once you hit one you can continue a string of hits.

He can also up throw up smash or up throw chain grab fast fallers. Pretty much to use Pichu, you use Nair in various ways for the most part. His forward roll and shield are both top tier. I think Pichu is underrated, even though maneuvering around and Nairing is his main thing it can be very effective in many situations just from that one move."
Quote from M2k

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
mmm. M2K views and thinks about the game in a very weird way that is only really relevant to himself.
you'll notice his opinions on character rankings in particular are usually drastically different from other top players.

Pichu is underrated though, and he has many solid options and stuff.
but he also has this really bad skill plateau thing going on.

TheRisingLlama

Smash Rookie
I sort of disagree with Derf, M2K analyses framedata. He chooses the most accurate answers and I think is the most technical person I ever seen.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
he's really smart, but m2k is also an idiot.
But it's ok, you'll come to understand once you're around long enough.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that M2K constantly rates Falco over Fox, yet he pretty much mains Fox. I don't get that. But I think he is right in that Pichu is pretty underrated as a character. People seem to think he is the worst in the game because he injures himself but you don't even have to injure yourself if you play carefully.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
he is underrated.
But that doesn't mean he isn't bad.
Like he has a lot more problems than just hurting himself...

but at low level that doesnt matter, so just keep playin the lil dude.

I'm not going to continue the m2k discussion, because it's irrelevant, but i'll just say this:
Jason is an incredible player, but his idea of matchups and character rankings are plagued with personal bias. He doesn't have an objective view point. In a lot of cases he also fails to differentiate between theory and practice.
His projections are opinion, which is respectable and should be taken into account, but they are not fact.
/discussion.

Last edited:

TheRisingLlama

Smash Rookie
he is underrated.
But that doesn't mean he isn't bad.
Like he has a lot more problems than just hurting himself...

but at low level that doesnt matter, so just keep playin the lil dude.

I'm not going to continue the m2k discussion, because it's irrelevant, but i'll just say this:
Jason is an incredible player, but his idea of matchups and character rankings are plagued with personal bias. He doesn't have an objective view point. In a lot of cases he also fails to differentiate between theory and practice.
His projections are opinion, which is respectable and should be taken into account, but they are not fact.
/discussion.
Pretty good conclusion :p. I don't like pichu, but he really is a matter of opinion. Honestly, I think pikachu is better, but it depends on your play-style. I try to give a neutral opinion about pichu, despite the fact he doesn't suit my play-style. I am rather new to the competitive scene so you probably know more.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Pretty good conclusion :p. I don't like pichu, but he really is a matter of opinion. Honestly, I think pikachu is better, but it depends on your play-style. I try to give a neutral opinion about pichu, despite the fact he doesn't suit my play-style. I am rather new to the competitive scene so you probably know more.
pikachu is better. pikachu is so much better. it's not a matter of opinion; pikachu is better.

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
I prefer to think Pichu has untapped potential. He could probably take advantage of the falling speed of Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon to chain-grab them with the up throw and finish with an up smash. Pikachu doesn't have that quality. In addition, if Pichu gets a running start, jumps, then uses Thunder Jolt, he can defend his own hurtbox with the hitbox of Thunder Jolt, which in my experience is great as a combo starter. Pikachu's hurtbox is too big to take advantage of this.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I prefer to think Pichu has untapped potential. He could probably take advantage of the falling speed of Fox, Falco and Captain Falcon to chain-grab them with the up throw and finish with an up smash. Pikachu doesn't have that quality. In addition, if Pichu gets a running start, jumps, then uses Thunder Jolt, he can defend his own hurtbox with the hitbox of Thunder Jolt, which in my experience is great as a combo starter. Pikachu's hurtbox is too big to take advantage of this.
pikachu can in fact do the same thing, except better. approaching with jolt can work if your opponent shields, but isn't good otherwise.

to elaborate on jolt approach:

1. you jump and jolt
2. you fall in front of your opponent
3. your opponent f smashes through your jolt and pichu cries

Last edited:

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
pikachu can in fact do the same thing, except better. approaching with jolt can work if your opponent shields, but isn't good otherwise.

to elaborate on jolt approach:

1. you jump and jolt
2. you fall in front of your opponent
3. your opponent f smashes through your jolt and pichu cries
Fair enough, but at the very least, Pichu does have a great grab game and the speed to be able to use it, assuming you know how to avoid enemy attacks. That being said, we won't know for sure unless a few Pichu mains attempt major tournaments with these strategies we've discussed for the past year. I guess I'm just attracted to the playstyles of terrible characters.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Fair enough, but at the very least, Pichu does have a great grab game and the speed to be able to use it, assuming you know how to avoid enemy attacks. That being said, we won't know for sure unless a few Pichu mains attempt major tournaments with these strategies we've discussed for the past year. I guess I'm just attracted to the playstyles of terrible characters.
attempts have been made. they haven't worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmew0panEAY
^probably the closest we'll ever get

edit: actually there are a few vids of SOS kicking a roy main's a$$ somewhere, too lazy to get links

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I find the irony of the last series of posts hilarious, but I'm not at liberty to explain why lmao

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Not a Pichu put-down, I'm just curious as to what he benefits of playing Pichu over Pikachu are. Is he faster? I know he isn't stronger, and some of his moves even have recoil. I'm just not seeing the advantage, besides that he's cute looking and he can wear goggles.
challenge i assume like why people main dan from street fighter so they can prove they own you in every way pichu takes extreme practice its not an easy character

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
nah he's just like kinda fun and has stupid easy auto-combos and can gimp things I guess.
that's basically the only reason people play him.

and he was considered the absolute bottom line worst character in the game for a long time.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Jesus christ what does he do? I didn't know he's been banned as many times as all the ****ty Smash 4 stages lol
usually making weird ass posts and getting a million infractions.
the first perma-ban was because he posted about blood-fetishes in the melee discussion board a few years back (on top of other infractions, iirc)

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
IMO, Pichu is viable when you are playing someone who doesn't know the matchup. All they will have heard is that "Pichu is terrible, he freakin' hurts himsef looool" ad they'll be like "Sweet I got this in the bag haha" And then you get all up in their business with a wall of Nairs, unceasing backthrows, and ridiculous gimps offstage. They're usually so psyched out that they have no idea what to do and freak out, and you'll probably win.

If you play someone that knows the Pichu/Pikachu m/u though, you're in for a tough battle.

Top Bottom