• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why main Pichu when you can main Pikachu?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
IMO, Pichu is viable when you are playing someone who doesn't know the matchup. All they will have heard is that "Pichu is terrible, he freakin' hurts himsef looool" ad they'll be like "Sweet I got this in the bag haha" And then you get all up in their business with a wall of Nairs, unceasing backthrows, and ridiculous gimps offstage. They're usually so psyched out that they have no idea what to do and freak out, and you'll probably win.

If you play someone that knows the Pichu/Pikachu m/u though, you're in for a tough battle.
yeah I mean thats pretty much how you even win with pichu at all at a lower level.
but that really only applies at a low level. at even mid levels of play, people have a general idea of what to do against floaty characters and characters who lack range (i.e. fox knows he wants to uthrow uair and space bairs)
so in those kind of fights you need to have better fundamentals and just be a smarter player.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
yeah I mean thats pretty much how you even win with pichu at all at a lower level.
but that really only applies at a low level. at even mid levels of play, people have a general idea of what to do against floaty characters and characters who lack range (i.e. fox knows he wants to uthrow uair and space bairs)
so in those kind of fights you need to have better fundamentals and just be a smarter player.
Hence the low tier list placement, yeah. I've made a promise to myself that if I'm ever in a match that I know I can't win I'm just gonna go Pichu because style points

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hence the low tier list placement, yeah. I've made a promise to myself that if I'm ever in a match that I know I can't win I'm just gonna go Pichu because style points
that's one approach.
I'd recommend using your main for the experience. I usually just use pichu in friendlies or in random pools sets these days.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
that's one approach.
I'd recommend using your main for the experience. I usually just use pichu in friendlies or in random pools sets these days.
I understand that using your main for the experience would mean more practice, but how much can I learn getting my face kicked in by someone like HBox when I'm maining someone like Falcon? I understand that the only way to get better is to play with people better than you, but in a best of three tournament setting? I'd rather loose in a hilarious way then loose with Falcon. It's hard to explain, but I get what you're saying lol. And just think, how boring must it get for the gods or at least really good players to just keep beating the same seven characters over and over again? Variety is the spice of life, my friend.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I understand that using your main for the experience would mean more practice, but how much can I learn getting my face kicked in by someone like HBox when I'm maining someone like Falcon? I understand that the only way to get better is to play with people better than you, but in a best of three tournament setting? I'd rather loose in a hilarious way then loose with Falcon. It's hard to explain, but I get what you're saying lol. And just think, how boring must it get for the gods or at least really good players to just keep beating the same seven characters over and over again? Variety is the spice of life, my friend.
I mean do what you're gonna do man
but the only way to get good at the game is to get your face stomped in until you learn to play right.
You can learn way more from some of your most brutal losses.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
I mean do what you're gonna do man
but the only way to get good at the game is to get your face stomped in until you learn to play right.
You can learn way more from some of your most brutal losses.
Preach. Like I said, I do agree with this philosophy. Anyway, when the day comes that I face an opponent so far superior to myself that I'm questioning why I wasted $5 on entry fee, who knows what I'll actually decide to do. I think I just secretly want to see a 30XX revolution of Pichu lol

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Preach. Like I said, I do agree with this philosophy. Anyway, when the day comes that I face an opponent so far superior to myself that I'm questioning why I wasted $5 on entry fee, who knows what I'll actually decide to do. I think I just secretly want to see a 30XX revolution of Pichu lol
I mean I feel it, I played drunk mango with my pichu a couple times.
and m2k.
but not in tournament.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
uh yeah that grab box is nearly as big as his head. dunno how this could go unnoticed with all the stickied frame data.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
because who, other than like you, me, and ICG, actually has looked at pichu's hitbox/frame data? lmao.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
you have a much smaller frame window with pika, but it's definitely doable. It's waaay easier and more reliable with pichu though.

Also it should be noted that pichu's nair is a lil better than pika's.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I haven't touched Pichu in a while as a main. I plan on picking up him quite hard in the coming weeks, but I dropped him due to very n00bish SSBM competitive knowledge but he's going to be my main soon enough. That being said, he seems a LOT stronger to me, especially his Skull Bash. Either way, I LOVE Pichu and Goggle will always be one of my favourite smash costumes.

EDIT: After reading it back, I realize that this post contains a lot of errors and I apologize for it

Last edited by a moderator:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
challenge i assume like why people main dan from street fighter so they can prove they own you in every way pichu takes extreme practice its not an easy character
I'm now getting into smash, but am/was a Dan main in the Street Fighter 4 series and had a ****ing blast.

Although i'm kind of new in smash, the difference between Pichu and Dan is that Dan eventually became a little more viable every updated version after vanilla. Pichu.....I'm not sure how viable it can be.

I had a Level 100 Pichu once in pokemon and it died so bad! Loved it to pieces, and Pichu is goddamn adorable.

I don't think i'll main pichu, but respect for anyone trying to take Pichu places! Rooting for you guys!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pichu gets worse in the later versions of melee NTSC.
I think he's slightly better in PAL purely because **** that ****s him up is worse (i.e. sheik can't CG him, foxes usmash doesn't kill as early, etc.)

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
oh my god that means pichu has the strongest up smash in PAL

i think

I WISH I LIVED IN EUROPE

nevermind ganon but still yay

and pikachu...

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pika still has the fastest killing usmash in pal, and sheiks is still number 2.
Ganon is the highest damaging obv.

Fox's is still really strong though, Ive heard its comparable to Sopo's, but Im not sure how accurate that is.

Top Bottom