• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why isn't no-tripping allowed as a experimentall Ruleset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Uh, it IS allowed, lol

Unity Ruleset v1.4 said:
Suggested Ruleset Testing
Metaknight Banned
Brinstar and/or Rainbow Cruise Banned
2 or 1 stock matches with a different timer
5-9 stage starter lists
2 Stage Bans
Testing any of the following stages: Jungle Japes, Norfair, Pirate Ship, Green Greens, Port Town, Onett, Yoshi's Island (Melee), Luigi's Mansion, and Distant Planet
Unity Ruleset v1.4 said:
Suggested Ruleset Testing
Unity Ruleset v1.4 said:
Suggested
Unity Ruleset v1.4 said:
Suggested
The changes you can make to your tournament include, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the content on that list.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
According to that...what?
It's not part of the "experimental ruleset pieces"
ie It wasn't suggested
That doesn't necessarily mean you're not allowed to try it out. I'm not saying that if you propose it as an experimental ruleset, they're definitely going to approve of it. But they haven't said it isn't allowed as an experimental ruleset (unless you can find a quote that says otherwise, but I think you would have brought that up already)

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Aisight, AKA Ankoku(I think), isn't part of the BRC, though...

Besides, just read the Unity Ruleset v1.4 once over, you'll see that they are encouraging all kinds of different types of ruleset experiments, as long as they're being used for experimental purposes, so running a "No Tripping" tourney should be fine, although I don't really see much experimental about it, but w/e...

M@v

Subarashii!
You can ask for any sort of rule change. You just have to submit it to the BBR-RC for approval. Be sure to specify what the change/changes are.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This is true.

Although this would seem to imply Aisight knows more then me, wouldn't it?

Can I get actual confirmation on this? It isn't really set in stone either way.
I obviously know more than you.

-Ran

Smash Master
The Wii is reset when no one is watching / aware and the no tripping code is removed. It isn't uncommon for a setup to be temporarily disabled due to various reasons during a tournament regardless of the size. A match is played on the setup, and on the last stock, a player trips. It could be into a kill move, or as innocent as removing his forwards momentum during chasing his opponent. Regardless, a player has tripped. At this point, do you restart the match? Do you make a rule that says. "No matter what, when a trip occurs the match is voided?"

Do you carve in stipulations for hypothetical situations so not to erase the efforts that a player has put in? What if player 2 was getting three stocked, and a trip occurred at the very end of the match? Regardless of the trip, he was going to lose the match unless he had an insane comeback. Do you punish the players for the fault of the TO for being incapable of verifying the working order of the code set for every match? What if a player claims he tripped when hit by a move that can randomly induce tripping and demands the match be restarted?

These are my some of my concerns that have nothing to do with how the game is actually played due to the removal/inclusion of tripping. Even if you make a screen that pulls up text saying that 'No tripping is enabled' there will be players that fail to pay attention or aren't aware of the alteration to the game. At that point, you're also soliciting you're own unique codeset/ui for the game to the public. This creates a further barrier to entry beyond just enabling the code amongst all the others that players already have on their Wii. What if someone lacks the UI code that informs people of no-tripping, and someone recalls not seeing it midmatch?

TL?

Smash Ace
Tripping is overrated. If I could change any one thing about brawl, it wouldn't be no tripping. Tripping probably wouldn't even make my top 5 things I would change. This game has FAR bigger problems.

But the real and indisputable answer is that gameplay altering hacks will never catch on and be the norm.

Shockna

Smash Cadet
Regardless, a player has tripped. At this point, do you restart the match? Do you make a rule that says. "No matter what, when a trip occurs the match is voided?"
That does seem to be the only logical thing to do.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
What if you couldn't tell if they tripped? Like they were hit during the first couple of frames of the tripping animation?

I guess you could watch the replay (any wii with no tripping should have infinite replays), but that would take extra time, making tournaments run longer.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I tend to have major issues with people restarting my Wii.

Mostly because I have to load through Riivolution because the sound effect file on my disc (as well as a few others from what I can tell) don't load properly.

People just can't seem to understand the words "DO NOT REMOVE THE SD CARD FROM THIS WII, IT WILL CRASH".

So yeah, there may be enforcability issues.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I understand the enforcability 'issues', but the only ones I'm getting are people acting like derps.

All issues would seem to be solved by...

1: Purple Background on no-tripping loadout. Make the codeset public(Put the DL Link on the ruleset page.)

2.: If you start a match w/ tripping, you finish it.

If someone lacks the code, have 1 (or more) SD card/s that have it on them and get them to use that.

Again, this would seem to solove all enforcability issues, would it not?

-Ran

Smash Master
If you're removing tripping from the game, it is unfair to someone that trips to not have the same playing field as others. Conversely, it is unfair to the player that was winning when I late game trip occurs due to the Wii being reset to lose his effort. By changing the background, you also require that the SD card remain in the Wii at all times. I personally do not have ten Sd cards I can leave in other players Wii's during a tournament.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
If you're removing tripping from the game, it is unfair to someone that trips to not have the same playing field as others. Conversely, it is unfair to the player that was winning when I late game trip occurs due to the Wii being reset to lose his effort. By changing the background, you also require that the SD card remain in the Wii at all times. I personally do not have ten Sd cards I can leave in other players Wii's during a tournament.

There's a lot of unfair things in the ruleset.

It's unfair to remove planking and then have scrooging in the game, as it's just an advanced form of planking only usable by certain characters.

It's unfair for our starter list to be so ground-based.

It's unfair that as a pit player, I had my ledge game nerfed by the LGL when there was nothing overpowering about it.

You guys didn't seem to care before, so why start caring now and ignore those things?

Changing the BG is an example. If there is a way you can make a noticable difference without having to leave the SD card in the wii, do it.

If not, simply have some other form of notification in the real world, wether it be a piece of paper, anything really.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Because to remove tripping you need to enable game altering codes, which is a different rule in our ruleset that would not be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom