• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Why is this stage banned?" A Q&A regarding stage legality

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well DK won't do that against MK duh. It's the most effective against Falco. Falco can hardly do anything to stop DK if he has an advantage.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Falco's like that against a lot of characters. Get an advantage over him and he generally cannot overcome it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yes but there is this thing called LGL that makes thing a little more complicated.

NNID
Budget_Player
Well duh. >.> I swear to god though, Jiggs-Falco would be like 60-40 (yes, jiggs has advantage) on neutrals because Falco could never assault her on the ledge. Part of why I hate LGLs that don't only affect MK.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario at around 100% with Falco starting on a fresh stock. Wario runs after getting a hit or two or runs regardless. Falco is at a disadvantage because he doesn't chase Wario very well/he doesn't have the tools to stop him (in a similar fashion to Dair camping Falco with a lead as MK, but with better mobility and escape options)

Patchouli Knowledge

Smash Rookie
I'm glad you put Onett in the second section. But if people keep being noobs and staying in those "not in center / hiding spot" places it'll be placed in the banned section in no time. >.< And yes, I know this is an old thread.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Since this thread is now linked to in the official Q&A thread are there any suggestions for how I can make the OP better?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Whats checkpoint camping and how does it work? The few times I've played Green Hill Zone, the checkpoint moves around after its been hit. So how exactly do you camp it without going through your opponent?

sunshade

Smash Ace
I think thats just an example of people improperly using the word camping. Calling it Check point abuse will probably better represent the actions taking place.

I don't find the check point to be an issue in the slightest myself.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I really don't think blast zones being close is a problem. If that is the case then RC, Brinstar, Halberd and Delfino should all be banned too.

sunshade

Smash Ace
The OP does not say Walk-off camping as a reason it is banned. The quote from AA says that people mention it but the main reasons are the same as Mario Circuit. If it was one of the reasons for banning it would be written in lime green.

Although I will edit it to correct any confusion

Edit: OP fixed

Tesh

Smash Hero
That can't REALLY be the reason though right? Why isn't it legal in low tier or mid tier tournaments then? Or MK banned events? How exactly is MK too strong here anyway? Just because of his amazing recovery and stupid drill rush tricks?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
That can't REALLY be the reason though right? Why isn't it legal in low tier or mid tier tournaments then? Or MK banned events? How exactly is MK too strong here anyway? Just because of his amazing recovery and stupid drill rush tricks?
Well it probably should be legal at tournaments without MK, it's just nobody would know how to play on it so it probably wouldn't go over well with most of the entrants.

He's broken because of his recovery and tornado.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I have actually played a lot of matches on skyworld and I don't actually think metaknight is better on skyworld than he his on brinstar or port town. His runaway game is improved beyond what it is on a typical stage but its not as bad as distant planet.

Moving skyworld into category 2.

Those spawning breakable platforms would be the problem. /=
Sadly stages changing is not a valid reason to ban a stage.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I have actually played a lot of matches on skyworld and I don't actually think metaknight is better on skyworld than he his on brinstar or port town. His runaway game is improved beyond what it is on a typical stage but its not as bad as distant planet.
Hmm, in my experience he's a lot worse than on Brinstar or PTAD. At least those stages have characters that do reasonably well against him. Skyworld is basically bad for every character against him.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Hmm, in my experience he's a lot worse than on Brinstar or PTAD. At least those stages have characters that do reasonably well against him. Skyworld is basically bad for every character against him.
I will admit my experience was is primarily in doubles when playing on the stage, but the only parts of his game that I felt were improved by the stage was tornado (which is no less punishable), and his recovery relative to the rest of the cast.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Tornado makes him almost impossible to approach though, plus the way hitting the platform extends your hitboxes or whatever is really good for him.

Tornado is even better than on Luigi's Mansion, since on LM you can quickly tech to get out of the way, on Skyworld not so much....

sunshade

Smash Ace
Hmm, next chance I get I will try using it to stuff approaches more. (I will also try some actual 1v1 matches >.>).

The hitbox extension was not an element of the stage I was attempting to utilize, I will make note of that.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I want to find and maul whoever started this whole "cave of life is a worthy of a ban" thing.

Cave of life is not the reason for the banning of any stage in brawl or melee. The issue is almost always, circle stall, overly skewed match-ups, or randomness.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero

Moving skyworld into category 2.

Sadly stages changing is not a valid reason to ban a stage.
Yes I know. I mean that is just my most hated thing about the stage. I know something little like that would be little reason to banning Skyworld.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I want to find and maul whoever started this whole "cave of life is a worthy of a ban" thing.

Cave of life is not the reason for the banning of any stage in brawl or melee. The issue is almost always, circle stall, overly skewed match-ups, or randomness.
Well a cave of life is usually associated with circle camping, so stages with circle camping were often listed to have a cafe of life...and I guess it was viewed as a ban criteria, despite it never actually being the sole reason (or the main reason) to ban a stage.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I thought skyworld was banned for being entirely breakable surfaces and semi-cave of life?
Skyworld's main problem is that Circle camping is prominent here across the cast.

Cave of life is a problem, but it tends not to be the main reason for a stage to be banned. Spear Pillar for example: even if you took away the ability to circle camp here by cutting the stage into only the lower half existing, the cave would still be sufficiently detrimental to gameplay to warrant a ban. However, worrying about the cave of life usually isn't even considered because of the rampant circle camping problem.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure no one has proof that a cave of life is detrimental to gameplay. It just happens that almost every single cave of life in the game means there is also a circle to camp.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's hard to prove the cave itself is a problem when people focus more on running around it or past it in a circle. If you had a stage that completely stripped circle camping, but had a prominent cave, it would be more evident. But they tend to be accompanied by some of the most ridiculous stage layouts possible for allowing circle camping. Whoever came up with Spear Pillar, Pork Town, etc was brilliant lol.

As you said though, it doesn't really matter much because stages with that feature tend to have circle camping painfully present anyways.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If circle camping is the issue, why isn't Smashville banned? <.<

Top Bottom