• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is online in this game so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Not at all, I dont wanna worry about anything when I start my game. The game can search players all around the world by itself easily, instead of making me look for groups online that might or not have enough people avaiable. This is a work that we should not have when we start the game and look for some match.
"X isn't very good!"
"Okay, so try Y?"
"No, I still want to do X, I just wish it were good."

I doubt any of the developers are reading Smashboards, so it's better to find solutions to the problem rather than hoping they'll fix it in the future. I agree that the current system isn't great, but there are ways to make it better, at least (such as joining some Discord servers).

Dan

Smash Lord
It's like... people's critical thinking gets nullified by hype for their favourite characters and for "all that insane amount of content" the game apparently has, wich I fail to see considering its predecesor but whatever. Quality>quantity. It's quite sad after 5 games if you think about it.

Now let's see how this develops. If enough people complain, they might change it. Or maybe not, have they ever done that? as long as the game and the expensive DLC sells, they'll probably forget about it. Maybe they'll worry when people doesn't renew their online suscription, cause they don't have many more games to sell that service with.
Lowkey starting the game with the original 8 I literally was like "this is enough characters". :laugh: The game literally could've just been a Smash 64 remake with normal online segregation ("you want For Glory? click this button; you want 4-player items? here"); the fact it's improved gameplay with the best portable experience yet is enough to carry it. Throw in a super secret character/stage or something and release it on the 20th anniversary.

The online is going to change though; too many comp players use the it. My formula right now is Battle Arena>Veteran/Stock/1v1and join a lobby with only one person since no one joins mine; results haven't been terrible, but I will definitely be trying T-Donor's suggestion.

Nintendo literally hasn't learned anything in their 10 years of online; something tells me they hate it and if Sony/Microsoft didn't do it they wouldn't even bother.

Standlord

Smash Cadet
This is what we need: problem solving and seeing what you can do with what the game offers, not immediate finger-pointing at Nintendo for an initial bad experience.
Dude, people paid for the game. And you are telling me people shouldn't complain about the things they deem to be wrong? No offense, but good luck trying to convince all Smash players in the world to play with those rules, just to try to fix a bad designed system, something users shouldn't have to do. I love your positivity and I agree with the "spread the word and lets see if he can all set this rules" because is everything players can do appart from complain, but It simply won't work because 1) this community and probably any competitive community is not even 1% of the total playerbase and 2) no matter what, people will want to play with different rules if you have that option.

If something is wrong, complaining is the only way to make It better, wheter it serves to improve it this time or at the very least in a future game. Be critical if you need to, specially with the things you pay for.

Last edited:

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Standardized rulesets will fix some of these problems for the people that care about them. Everybody should also be checking their internet speeds as much as possible. As an aside, having to leave matches to change characters is pretty ****ty. It's something that Splatoon 2 did at first with changing gear and weapons, but they eventually fixed it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Standardized rulesets will fix some of these problems for the people that care about them. Everybody should also be checking their internet speeds as much as possible. As an aside, having to leave matches to change characters is pretty ****ty. It's something that Splatoon 2 did at first with changing gear and weapons, but they eventually fixed it.
I hear that creating a public arena with a maximum of 2 players gives you something very similar to the old For Glory. You can even change characters freely here since doing that in an arena only moves you to the back of the queue... which doesn't change anything when it's only the two of you playing. And you can keep doing this until one gets tired.

CadenLisa

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
7824-6659-5288
If I had a shot for everytime I got put into a free for all (when all I want is a 3 stock 1v1)

Then I'd be dead.

Great Job Nintendo.

Now I really wanna pay for this online service.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I'm talking about a certain someone who has made at least five freaking topics complaining about Nintendo Switch Online, all of which devolved into flame wars due in part to the OP being ludicrously unreasonable. I can't say more (including naming names, as much as I would like to) without the mods eating me alive; ask TheTrueBrawler or Legendary Spirit Tamer for more details.
I don't see any reason to end this thread though just because of a bad history with online threads. The person who made those spam threads hasn't replied here (yet), and the arguments that founded this topic are much stronger than saying "You think online will improve?" over and over again.

I just got the game today and I have played various modes. Online has actually become an issue. It's putting me in a ton of FFAs I don't want to be in, and is still lagging a fair amount. Those of us who didn't make our accounts less than a week ago shouldn't have our views on an entire topic clouded and preset because of what one user was doing recently.

I actually agree that online turned out to be horrible in this version. They really didn't do online modes so well, and this really needs to be fixed.
I have a feeling that a ton of people are just entering with default rules, which I believe is FFA. Overwhelms the system and massively increases the odds of getting paired with a few FFA people looking for a game. With a bit of time, and some patches to tweak how matchmaking works, we should be golden.
This can be fixed by mandating that all users playing online for the first time set their default rules. Everyone will know a lot of options are available, and we will see less FFAs (hopefully).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no idea what your guys' problem with the online is. I think it's a HUGE improvement over Wii U, and I say that having put a metric ton of hours into Wii U's online.

First of all: quickplay fixes the issue of segregating the playerbase online. Ever go into a lobby, but only 1 or 2 others join, they wait like 10 seconds, then someone leaves, and then another arrives, and it just repeats because people keep leaving and re-entering trying to find a full lobby? Super annoying btw. Plus, you'd never know how many people are playing For Fun vs For Glory or Team Battle vs solo so if you weren't finding people to play with you'd have to maybe jump around in other modes and see if people were there. At which point, you're basically already doing what Quickplay is doing. It prioritizes your preferences, but if that can't be done, next best thing is to just play Smash, not wait around NOT playing Smash. Besides, it's fun to mix things up in my opinion.

And the GSP ensures that no matter what kind of rules are being used online, you'll be paired with people of similar skill, so it can still be competitive.

And then, if you REALLY only want to play a certain way online, you can just make a public lobby and let people join you. The types of rules that can now be used online are way more than we had before, and we can even freaking use Mii fighters! Finally!

I think the online is a vast improvement due to streamlining the whole process and reducing the number of menus to slog through while still providing objectively more options than we've ever had before in online play. It's a success.

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
"How dare this person have fun with this thing that I can't for reasons that not everyone agrees with! I must shut him down or else he'll jeopardize my campaign to make things the way I want it to be!"

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
No, but...
to be fair...

Buy a ****ing LAN adapter.
It makes both your and the oppponent's experience better regardless of how good or bad Ninty's online is.

That kind of **** is what makes them get away with it and resulting in us shelling more cash. They make us pay for the right to play online and can't even bother make the net code and the system interesting ?

I'm glad I cancel my pre-order because after the initial 10-20hours of solo play. I will literally only play online mode and once in while locally(like once a month maybe) So if things dosen't get better, I will pass on it.

Dan

Smash Lord
"How dare this person have fun with this thing that I can't for reasons that not everyone agrees with! I must shut him down or else he'll jeopardize my campaign to make things the way I want it to be!"
Did I ever say I was upset that this person was enjoying the game? All we're doing is asking them to bring back FG so we don't have to go through some convoluted process to play it, which was pretty much the basis for this thread.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have no idea what your guys' problem with the online is. I think it's a HUGE improvement over Wii U, and I say that having put a metric ton of hours into Wii U's online.

First of all: quickplay fixes the issue of segregating the playerbase online. Ever go into a lobby, but only 1 or 2 others join, they wait like 10 seconds, then someone leaves, and then another arrives, and it just repeats because people keep leaving and re-entering trying to find a full lobby? Super annoying btw. Plus, you'd never know how many people are playing For Fun vs For Glory or Team Battle vs solo so if you weren't finding people to play with you'd have to maybe jump around in other modes and see if people were there. At which point, you're basically already doing what Quickplay is doing. It prioritizes your preferences, but if that can't be done, next best thing is to just play Smash, not wait around NOT playing Smash. Besides, it's fun to mix things up in my opinion.

And the GSP ensures that no matter what kind of rules are being used online, you'll be paired with people of similar skill, so it can still be competitive.

And then, if you REALLY only want to play a certain way online, you can just make a public lobby and let people join you. The types of rules that can now be used online are way more than we had before, and we can even freaking use Mii fighters! Finally!

I think the online is a vast improvement due to streamlining the whole process and reducing the number of menus to slog through while still providing objectively more options than we've ever had before in online play. It's a success.
People here are just being hit with the hard truth that their numbers are vastly inferior to the many young players who enjoy the chaos of free-for-alls and items, and/or offended that nothing directly caters to their tastes in online battling, instead having to set it up themselves. But that's too much work for a lot of us here apparently.

I mean c'mon, how are the devs supposed to know what is the best ruleset for competitive play? Even the players don't know because it changes every game! Do we really want to be stuck with one that is ultimately deemed sub-par just for the sake of convenience?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's day 2 of the game's release. The people online are mostly casuals who want to have fun.

The system is flawed; but it has a good model. But we have to accept that the player base right now is dominated by the casuals. Once the dust settles down we'll see some consistency.

My concern is supposedly not being able to change characters/rules inbetween matches, and Arenas has an odd system - why can't the people waiting fight each other for the time being? Especially when the room limit is six people.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Many of these problems can be fixed if they just add a checkbox with the text "Selected Rules Only", meaning the game will not enter in any match that doesnt match the selected rules.
The problems with that being a single toggle is that

1. there are too many potential combinations for items. Fortunately, for people who want NO items, this won't be an issue, since there won't be that much fragmentation. But Nintendo would probably consider "well, if you select Pokeballs and SP flags on, and nothing else, how likely are you to find any match?" It's a kind of stupid setting, but it would be possible.

2. There are too many potential combinations in general.

3. time limit differences don't seem important enough to make a HARD requirement. I don't really care about 3-stock 5 min vs. 3-stock 6 min. What's most important to me is 1v1 stock, no items and no stage hazards.

What they ought to do is allow you to mark certain options as non-negotiable. I want to be able to guarantee I get a 1v1 stock match with no items, beyond that I'm more flexible (time limit, number of stocks, Battlefield/Omega/etc.). They know that "no items" is the one people want, so items vs. no items should be the aspect they prioritize.

On a different note, they should either have an additional stage option OR let you pick multiple stage options. I would really prefer to be able to select Battlefield OR Final Destination. I'd also be ok with adding on hazardless stages. I really just don't want to play on Wily Castle with the Yellow Devil or stages like that.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You are aware they can change that, right?
Exactly. Once the tourney folks find that ideal ruleset, and if it's deemed necessary, the devs can add a mode catering specifically to that preference. But right now there's just no way for anyone to know what that is yet.

Did I ever say I was upset that this person was enjoying the game? All we're doing is asking them to bring back FG so we don't have to go through some convoluted process to play it, which was pretty much the basis for this thread.
No, you just gave me an image with no context and left me to fill the blanks.

It's day 2 of the game's release. The people online are mostly casuals who want to have fun.

The system is flawed; but it has a good model. But we have to accept that the player base right now is dominated by the casuals. Once the dust settles down we'll see some consistency.

My concern is supposedly not being able to change characters/rules inbetween matches, and Arenas has an odd system - why can't the people waiting fight each other for the time being? Especially when the room limit is six people.
We're probably gonna have to wait until well after Christmas (which will undoubtedly lead to another surge of casuals) before we get a steady picture of online.

In ARMS, I notice the lobby system often faces a dilemma: it tries not to match you up against the same person twice in a row. Even if that person is the only one not occupied, so the end result is you get stuck with a wait anyway. Are you OK with minimizing waits in this scenario but potentially never getting a chance to fight the other players in the lobby? And if so, wouldn't just making a two-person lobby get you much the same result with less hassle?

The way I see it, the only way to have rotations at a good clip is to make the matches short. Two, or maybe even 1 stock battles.

Dan

Smash Lord
Exactly. Once the tourney folks find that ideal ruleset, and if it's deemed necessary, the devs can add a mode catering specifically to that preference. But right now there's just no way for anyone to know what that is yet.

No, you just gave me an image with no context and left me to fill the blanks.
Regardless of stocks or time (which could honestly be 2-3 stocks and any time), any guaranteed 1v1 matchup without having to jump through hoops is better than nothing, and the context of the image is the person saying online is a success while 95% of the internet is saying it's a disaster; you don't have to agree with everything you know.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I dont like the gsp matchmaking either.
Sometimes I wanna fight scrubs, sometimes equally skilled players, and sometimes I wanna fight ppl that are better than me.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I dont like the gsp matchmaking either.
Sometimes I wanna fight scrubs, sometimes equally skilled players, and sometimes I wanna fight ppl that are better than me.
Usually people don't want to fight people of higher skill. When you're facing either scrubs or masters, it's probably not enjoyable for the other party. A system was needed to keep things in check.

Dan

Smash Lord
I’m afraid to compete in For Glory matches at the moment...maybe it’s best to wait for a needed patch.
They don't even exist; as far as I'm aware, there's no stat-keeping for online.

Dr.KD

Smash Rookie
Its feels like they woke up one morning being like "Good morning Sakurai, Good morning Dev team how r we going online even better than in sm4sh, Oh jee idk.Oh Ik lets take for Glory & For fun & just mutilate it together like they didnt use rubber last night, where u cant play with friends, your thrown into random FFA's everytime, Making Grinding inconsistant as hell for Players, Fabricate it with Elite smash to make your efforts feel pointless & oh yeah if they want play Battle arena with friends they have to wait in line LMAO XD"

PS: Fix this ****

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Some of you guys have mentioned how the online system isn't completely bad, and I spent a lot of time thinking about it. My main issue is that you can't play the way you want 100% of the time. Think about how ridiculous that is for a moment. Yes, there's battle arena, but I mean c'mon you should be allowed to just jump straight into any match that you want, that's one of the most basic features of any online game. And yes, there eventually will come a time where there are agreed upon competitive rules, but imagine how much fighting there will be trying to come up with rules that everyone is fine with.

Nintendo should not have made it this complicated, and it's an embarrassingly bad online service which would have made sense maybe in like 2008. It's a huge step down from Sm4sh, and there's just no way of justifying it. They messed up big time here. I should be able to play Smash online with the rules that I want 100% of the time, it's stupid to the point where I laugh at the fact that I can't.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Some of you guys have mentioned how the online system isn't completely bad, and I spent a lot of time thinking about it. My main issue is that you can't play the way you want 100% of the time. Think about how ridiculous that is for a moment. Yes, there's battle arena, but I mean c'mon you should be allowed to just jump straight into any match that you want, that's one of the most basic features of any online game. And yes, there eventually will come a time where there are agreed upon competitive rules, but imagine how much fighting there will be trying to come up with rules that everyone is fine with.

Nintendo should not have made it this complicated, and it's an embarrassingly bad online service which would have made sense maybe in like 2008. It's a huge step down from Sm4sh, and there's just no way of justifying it. They messed up big time here. I should be able to play Smash online with the rules that I want 100% of the time, it's stupid to the point where I laugh at the fact that I can't.
That's an impossibility with how many types of matches can be set up, you'd be saddled with huge wait times instead for all but defaults. Also you're contradicting yourself, arenas do in fact let you play with the rules you want 100% of the time if you set it up.

Your point of how it is very difficult to satisfy everyone with one ruleset is also another reason things are the way they are. It's easy to say For Glory was great, but think of how many wished they didn't always have to play with it's restrictions.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Usually people don't want to fight people of higher skill. When you're facing either scrubs or masters, it's probably not enjoyable for the other party. A system was needed to keep things in check.
A system that doesn't work unfortunately.
GSP counts even casual games, so it's entirely worthless.

Dan

Smash Lord
The absolute most intolerable part of this all is that queuing players in battle arenas can't fight.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
That's an impossibility with how many types of matches can be set up, you'd be saddled with huge wait times instead for all but defaults. Also you're contradicting yourself, arenas do in fact let you play with the rules you want 100% of the time if you set it up.

Your point of how it is very difficult to satisfy everyone with one ruleset is also another reason things are the way they are. It's easy to say For Glory was great, but think of how many wished they didn't always have to play with it's restrictions.
For Glory had those restrictions but at least it worked. This doesn't, it's just a mess and basically a lotto of what kind of match you are going to get. This current system does not work. You want to play competitively? At least they gave you the option of joining competitive matches with For Glory. Now it's all based on how lucky you get with the matchmaking system.

Battle Arena can have pretty lengthy wait times. I should just be able to jump into a match with the ruleset I desire right away.

This whole online service falls apart because they are trying to hard to cater to literally everyone. The big issue seems to be stemming from how customizable preferred rules is, and if that's the case then it should just be taken out entirely and replaced with For Fun and For Glory. Those modes had their issues I know, but they worked a lot better than how it does now. It's such a basic feature to include competitive and casual modes, and it baffles me that they aren't here.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
Why do I feel this dreadful new online system is a Nintendo move and not a Sakurai move?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The absolute most intolerable part of this all is that queuing players in battle arenas can't fight.
It's like they intended it to be the party/friend room, but it's not fun without interacting with people in person as you play.
Maybe if they had a game chat system in place. Even then...why can't the 4 people in the waiting room play each other?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's like they intended it to be the party/friend room, but it's not fun without interacting with people in person as you play.
Maybe if they had a game chat system in place. Even then...why can't the 4 people in the waiting room play each other?
I kind of explained it already: you'd just wind up playing the same opponent multiple times as matches start and end at different intervals unless you elect not to, at which point you're in the situation you tried to avoid with this solution, waiting for others to finish.

Two-person arenas render this a non-issue anyway. But if you really want to play multiple opponents in a row, you have to make your matches short, simultaneous or no. Even ARMS understands this with one-round fights.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I kind of explained it already: you'd just wind up playing the same opponent multiple times as matches start and end at different intervals unless you elect not to, at which point you're in the situation you tried to avoid with this solution, waiting for others to finish.

Two-person arenas render this a non-issue anyway. But if you really want to play multiple opponents in a row, you have to make your matches short, simultaneous or no. Even ARMS understands this with one-round fights.
Alternatively; every match starts at the same time, thus they will end at the same time and the opponents can be rotated adequately.

If you join an arena and you see people fighting, then obviously they'd have to wait for that battle to end to begin this process. As for quits, well not much you can do there. It happens.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Alternatively; every match starts at the same time, thus they will end at the same time and the opponents can be rotated adequately.

If you join an arena and you see people fighting, then obviously they'd have to wait for that battle to end to begin this process. As for quits, well not much you can do there. It happens.
Or there are people in the arena who just want to spectate and not fight, thus leaving one fighter out to dry in even-numbered arenas.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman

There are simple solutions for that, the game could just have some default rule-sets for each type of game mode (time, stock, stamina) AND the search the game has avaiable today. It's not that hard, it would just be something like the WiiU matchmaking improved with the custom rule set if you want to be specific or dont care about which kind of mode you will join. But force people to play what they dont want, this is wrong, you can't force people to have fun with what they dont want to play, this do the opposite of giving fun to them, I can get pretty stressed by that. I can easily wait a bit more but be sure that eventually someone will get in my game, than be forced to play a mode I dont want.

Also, having some default options wouldnt divide the players between modes because people searching on the custom rule set could be inserted in one of the 3 default game modes, and the player base of this game is expected to be the bigger smash ever had.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Never bothered with online modes in console games but I still gotta say, if something ain’t broke (For Glory), don’t ****ing fix it. Hopefully this online issue gets sorted out for those that do play it.

Icedmana

Smash Rookie
There needs to be a Last Call for arenas so no one else can join and everyone gets one more game.

I feel like **** dropping 5 folks waiting to fight.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I will agree that the whole thing with character switching, taunting, etc, needs to be changed ASAP, but I haven't been having any laggy matches, and after the launch day, I've been getting 1 on 1's, with either my or the other players preferences in stages.

I wonder if I'm lucky or everyone else has been exaggerating about the lag.

Dan

Smash Lord
TheBeastHimself absolutely nailed it when he said that you can't play the way you want 100% of the time, but kind of contradicted himself: our options are quickplay and battle arenas. The problem with battle arenas is that whenever I host a 2-player lobby to my preference, no one joins. The problem with joining someone else's arena is that it's a crapshoot whether they have items on and how much time or stocks there are, and then it's a mad rush to join the lobby before you get beat out by someone else and have to sit there and watch two icons bang up against each other for 5 minutes.

The problem with quickplay is that it seems to prioritize 4 players over 2 even when I prefer 2; we got our 2 players, so why are we still spending 30 more seconds searching for more?

All we are asking for is a For Glory option; we're not expecting it to be perfect upon launch since it only exists for the fans. For example: 1v1, 3 stocks, 7 minutes, items off and this brings up another issue... the stage restrictions. There should be an option for both Battlefield and Omega forms; I understand asking for legal hazard and hazard-less is a tall order, but why would you segregate Battlefield and Omega when you made them both for legality reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom