• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I am a Christian

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Just throwing this out there, the Islam topic was closed due to people getting to personal in their attacks, and this topic, like the Gay Smasher topic after the closure of the Relationship topic, is under strict scrutiny. Don't botch this one.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
As a natural cynic, I find it very hard to stretch my belief to include an all powerful being.

Sometimes I feel that religion involves throwing all logic out the window in the place of blind faith. And I hate how some religious people think and see with there faith and not with there minds and eyes.

I also feel that religion (not neccesarily christianity) sometimes means dismissing common sense. In Saudi Arabia a woman was gang ***** but SHE went to prison as well because she "bought it on herself." what that means was that at the time she was with a man who was not her husband, oh and they ***** the man she was with to, not that you needed to know that. In Sudan a british teacher bought in a teddy bear for her class to name, the children decided Mohammed (because it's a very popular name) but she got put in prison on blasphemy charges!

Now this isn't a rant against Islam, but my point is is that religion clouds peoples judgement and creates divisions in people when there shouldn't be.

IMO for every bit of good religion has done it's also done a bit of evil as well.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
As a natural cynic, I find it very hard to stretch my belief to include an all powerful being.

Sometimes I feel that religion involves throwing all logic out the window in the place of blind faith. And I hate how some religious people think and see with there faith and not with there minds and eyes.

I also feel that religion (not neccesarily christianity) sometimes means dismissing common sense. In Saudi Arabia a woman was gang ***** but SHE went to prison as well because she "bought it on herself." what that means was that at the time she was with a man who was not her husband, oh and they ***** the man she was with to, not that you needed to know that. In Sudan a british teacher bought in a teddy bear for her class to name, the children decided Mohammed (because it's a very popular name) but she got put in prison on blasphemy charges!

Now this isn't a rant against Islam, but my point is is that religion clouds peoples judgement and creates divisions in people when there shouldn't be.

IMO for every bit of good religion has done it's also done a bit of evil as well.
Goodness. this topic started as one person declaring their faith and telling their real beliefs and why they believed that. I think that is an admirable thing. But it has turned into a fight between "religion" and atheism.

Christianity is not a religion. Please. You can flame me or whatever, but if you've been in church and you think that church is about religion, you've just had a bad chrch experience or life experience. If you look in the bible, God made it so that people could never be perfect. In real life, there is no way anyone could not do someting stupid for a single day, much less a lifetime. Christianity isn't about following rules, because that is impossible for people, it is about the fact that God made us and he made a way for us to live with him forever. I don't care what church experience you've had, look at the bible, and if you don't believe that, look at any christian's life.

I grew up in a church that wasted my time. It was boring and my dad was the music director, but the only thing I cared about was playing soccer with one of my friends after church. Then my dad got fired from that church and I moved to atlanta. I started going to this youth group because there were some really pretty girls there, but I found out about the holy spirit and about how God has power to touch your life and heal you.

I still go to this youth group after 3 years, and it has been through a lot. I have really had highs and lows and not believed in God sometimes, but there are always times when all my friends are gone and I hate my family, and God is just sitting there. Anyone reading this, I'm telling you, if you look for God, you'll find him. HE LOVES YOU TO DEATH, and he died for You! So stop saying stupid stuff like "religion is not for me" just cause you fell asleep in church when you were a kid.

If god doesn't exist, how do You explain miracles? They don't happen in mosques or temples. They happen when real christians pray to God and ask for something God wants to do. A lady who goes to my church had MS, and she was cured when a bunch of people prayed for her one sunday. Don't call me a liar, I watched it. She couldn't walk before w/out a wheelchair or walker, and now she can. Miracles happen every day, and just cause you don't here about them doesn't mean they aren't real.

And christianity isn't logical? What is the big bang? or macro evolution? Matter cannot come from nonematter, period. ed of story. Over. And people can't eveolve from fish. or bacteria. Even charles darwin said that. The complexity of the human body coukld not come from a single-celled organism.

Thank you, and please no flaming.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I'm happy for you, but I'm a deep cynic and simply cannot take a huge leap of faith in something with no factual evidence.

You say this Woman was dealt a miracle due to prayer, see that is a leap of faith. An assumption that the power of prayer healed this woman (whether there ever was a woman is also up in the air.)

I can't remember saying christianity wasn't a religion, I think your reffering to this.

"I also feel that religion (not neccesarily christianity) sometimes means dismissing common sense"

I was implying that most christian countries do not adopt absurd laws (aka teddy-gate) and opress there citizens due to religion (In Saudi Arabia Sharia law forbids women to drive!)

And in regards to science. Science unlike religion has not submitted it's final draft. Every day it makes more advancements in it's own particular fields. And science can say "yeah we were completely wrong about this" and go back to the drawing board. Religion could never do that, it simply has to much to lose.

Unless you count this as going back on something. Up until about 60 years ago the catholic church said that babies who died without being baptised would go to some heaven-less hell-less limbo, that was apparently very unpopular so they changed it.

As I said before, I'm happy for you. Faith is a comfort I'll give you that. But as I said before I'm deeply cynical, I need proof that there is an almighty and that miracles do occur (you telling me that this woman was cured is not proof.) Of course if there was infallable proof that god existed then everyone would be religous, which in itself is a paradox because the bible states that people must "choose" god, if we knew then there would be no choice.

Oh and you assume I've had a bad church experience, I've never been to a sunday sermon and the only time I've been in church is for weddings.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
I'm happy for you, but I'm a deep cynic and simply cannot take a huge leap of faith in something with no factual evidence.

You say this Woman was dealt a miracle due to prayer, see that is a leap of faith. An assumption that the power of prayer healed this woman (whether there ever was a woman is also up in the air.)

I can't remember saying christianity wasn't a religion, I think your reffering to this.

"I also feel that religion (not neccesarily christianity) sometimes means dismissing common sense"

I was implying that most christian countries do not adopt absurd laws (aka teddy-gate) and opress there citizens due to religion (In Saudi Arabia Sharia law forbids women to drive!)

And in regards to science. Science unlike religion has not submitted it's final draft. Every day it makes more advancements in it's own particular fields. And science can say "yeah we were completely wrong about this" and go back to the drawing board. Religion could never do that, it simply has to much to lose.

Unless you count this as going back on something. Up until about 60 years ago the catholic church said that babies who died without being baptised would go to some heaven-less hell-less limbo, that was apparently very unpopular so they changed it.

As I said before, I'm happy for you. Faith is a comfort I'll give you that. But as I said before I'm deeply cynical, I need proof that there is an almighty and that miracles do occur (you telling me that this woman was cured is not proof.) Of course if there was infallable proof that god existed then everyone would be religous, which in itself is a paradox because the bible states that people must "choose" god, if we knew then there would be no choice.

Oh and you assume I've had a bad church experience, I've never been to a sunday sermon and the only time I've been in church is for weddings.
Something about God that not a lot of people understand is that he gave you free will. And what that means is that there is no way that a person could absolutely be sure there was a God. God doesn't appear to christians and chat with them every day. there is a reason people see God in visions and dreams: God doesn't give anyone any irrefutable things proving he exists. And when you get answers to prayer, they could have been a coincidence. The woman could have seen a physical therapist, or she could have been able to walk along along.

And have you ever gotten a word of knowledge for someone (if you aren't christian, I doubt it).. something like, hey, I think this person is struggling with their self-image.. and they say yes, I have been. that could be coincidence.. If God came down and blew everybody away, all free will would be gone, because there would obviously be a great God and he would be beautiful and lovely, but he gives us a choice. I wish he would just show himself to everyone on earth but that's not what he does..

And I'm not just addressing you.. I've read several pages of this, and I wasn't talking about you with the boring church or the "religion" thing.

I'm gonig to say that the catholic church is a little off. They have a lot of weird stuff they do that is not necessary and it weighs people down. I don't know. I think they are wrong in a lot of places, like praying to mary and all their titles and ceremonies. But I know that believing in Jesus christ is all you need in the end, and they have that part right.

And saying that faith is a comfort to me is a little off. God is a comfort. But You can't choose Jesus because you want to spend your whole life safe and comforted in his arms. Christianity makes my life tough. try being open about your beliefs in high school. But it's true. And luckliy, God calls You to higher things than just being comforted. He calls you to challenge ideas and he calls you away from your home and out of being comfortable in school.

If You say I need definite proof God exists, ok. How definite? healings? the holy spirit coming on You? God talknig to you through circumstances? Idk. I wouldn't wait for a message on your lawn, but who knows.

Vat- Zero

Smash Journeyman
Goodness. this topic started as one person declaring their faith and telling their real beliefs and why they believed that. I think that is an admirable thing. But it has turned into a fight between "religion" and atheism.

Christianity is not a religion. Please. You can flame me or whatever, but if you've been in church and you think that church is about religion, you've just had a bad chrch experience or life experience. If you look in the bible, God made it so that people could never be perfect. In real life, there is no way anyone could not do someting stupid for a single day, much less a lifetime. Christianity isn't about following rules, because that is impossible for people, it is about the fact that God made us and he made a way for us to live with him forever. I don't care what church experience you've had, look at the bible, and if you don't believe that, look at any christian's life.

I grew up in a church that wasted my time. It was boring and my dad was the music director, but the only thing I cared about was playing soccer with one of my friends after church. Then my dad got fired from that church and I moved to atlanta. I started going to this youth group because there were some really pretty girls there, but I found out about the holy spirit and about how God has power to touch your life and heal you.

I still go to this youth group after 3 years, and it has been through a lot. I have really had highs and lows and not believed in God sometimes, but there are always times when all my friends are gone and I hate my family, and God is just sitting there. Anyone reading this, I'm telling you, if you look for God, you'll find him. HE LOVES YOU TO DEATH, and he died for You! So stop saying stupid stuff like "religion is not for me" just cause you fell asleep in church when you were a kid.

If god doesn't exist, how do You explain miracles? They don't happen in mosques or temples. They happen when real christians pray to God and ask for something God wants to do. A lady who goes to my church had MS, and she was cured when a bunch of people prayed for her one sunday. Don't call me a liar, I watched it. She couldn't walk before w/out a wheelchair or walker, and now she can. Miracles happen every day, and just cause you don't here about them doesn't mean they aren't real.

And christianity isn't logical? What is the big bang? or macro evolution? Matter cannot come from nonematter, period. ed of story. Over. And people can't eveolve from fish. or bacteria. Even charles darwin said that. The complexity of the human body coukld not come from a single-celled organism.

Thank you, and please no flaming.

Vat- Zero agrees...Its stamped and certified. straight8 is a real man, and anyone who disagrees with him is just a lost little boy who needs Jesus in his/her life.

PS: to the man of Logic: If your a true Christian, you go to heaven. If your a sinner and never received the gift of salvation through Christ, well...thats hell. 2. Theres no God, no heaven, no hell. Nothing happens.

Decision for the logical man. Be a Christian and live in the goodness of God, yeah it takes some sacrifice, but it will build your character. Then go to heaven ( peace) or not follow God and burn. Or just believe nothings gonna happen. The Logical man would choose being a Christian. why? Well, if atheism is right, nothing happens. If Christians are right well, to hell I go( bad, not good, hurts) or to heaven. Why risk going to hell, by believing in nothing and why not just see if what these" Crazy Spiritual people" are talking about can help me develop as a person and not burn. But if the Christians were wrong, no big deal, nothing happened. :)

Azumouse

Smash Cadet
I read your story..but to be honest it didn't really explain anything...personally i think that christains, though they are nice people they tend to be sheep (people who follow others) they are people who need guidence and who need something to beleive in; and that is something i never quite understood. I do not like christianity or it's people at all, after all it is why all these war's are happening; if god really did exist do you think he would like us to be fighting against other religions, because if he does..do you really want to be a part of that?

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
Religion since the dawn of time has always been a way for the scared to explain what happens to them when they die. They are scared. I am not here to put anyone's faith down, that was simply a generalized statement.

My issue with Christianity is the Christians.

It started with the martyrs, and it has meant death to man ever since.

The crusades, the radicals, the Jihads.

It is quite foolish.

Edit: This is not meant to offend anyone, so please don't start a flamewar with me.

Azumouse

Smash Cadet
hm, yes, i never thought of that; i guess it is becuase they are scared but is re-assuring yourself that when you die your ok worth starting all those war's? i think not.

EDIT: and there problem with gay's whats that all about, im not gay myself but i don't have a problem with it and i dont see why christains should do either.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Lets not get into the gay issue, it normally takes up 5/6 pages of back and forth back and forth. It's simply not worth the hassle.

I would simply like to point out this. Christianity states that Jesus was the son of god and therefore god on earth. However, Islam states that Jesus was one of many prophets of god and that Mohammed was the final prophet.

Now this is a huge discrepancy, surely only one can be right if any? Can 1 billion christians be wrong? Can 1 billion muslims be wrong? People like vat-zero simply want people to not question these things. To simply follow blindly despite huge questions that have yet to be answered. A man of logic asks these questions Vat, so now whos the lost little boy?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Off topic, but I'd just like to wish everyone has a happy Easter weekend.

Azumouse

Smash Cadet
I think surely you should step back and question it, if you do not then obviously you are either lazy or just do not have the brains to. If you have i fail to see how you are blind to all the faults in christianity. Thats how you come down to: most cristain's follow it becasue they want it to be true; they do not necaserally beleive in it.

TheKingofDes

Smash Apprentice
I think surely you should step back and question it, if you do not then obviously you are either lazy or just do not have the brains to. If you have i fail to see how you are blind to all the faults in christianity. Thats how you come down to: most cristain's follow it becasue they want it to be true; they do not necaserally beleive in it.

Hope & Faith are pretty much the same thing

straight8

Banned via Warnings
what christian that has searched for God at all hasn't questioned christianity thousands of times?

Lets not get into the gay issue, it normally takes up 5/6 pages of back and forth back and forth. It's simply not worth the hassle.

I would simply like to point out this. Christianity states that Jesus was the son of god and therefore god on earth. However, Islam states that Jesus was one of many prophets of god and that Mohammed was the final prophet.

Now this is a huge discrepancy, surely only one can be right if any? Can 1 billion christians be wrong? Can 1 billion muslims be wrong? People like vat-zero simply want people to not question these things. To simply follow blindly despite huge questions that have yet to be answered. A man of logic asks these questions Vat, so now whos the lost little boy?
A man of wisdom finds the answers to the questions as well.

Thats just Pascal's wager, what a terrible reason to believe in god. Your essentially approving god fear.
fear of God is good. not like shaking when you hear about him, but knowing your position reletive to Him.

Personally, I'd prefer the company of alcoholic vandals who loved me for who I am over the company of devout Christians who loved me because they were taught it's the right thing to do.
You can't love because you are taught too. Love is more than emotion, it is a state of mind. "devout christians" don't love because they're taught to, they love because they want to. you don't know what you're talking about.

I read your story..but to be honest it didn't really explain anything...personally i think that christains, though they are nice people they tend to be sheep (people who follow others) they are people who need guidence and who need something to beleive in; and that is something i never quite understood. I do not like christianity or it's people at all, after all it is why all these war's are happening; if god really did exist do you think he would like us to be fighting against other religions, because if he does..do you really want to be a part of that?
Who doesn't need help and guidance? what world do you live in?
Christians are actually the strongest people. You don't know many real believers, do you?

Religion since the dawn of time has always been a way for the scared to explain what happens to them when they die. They are scared. I am not here to put anyone's faith down, that was simply a generalized statement.

My issue with Christianity is the Christians.

It started with the martyrs, and it has meant death to man ever since.

The crusades, the radicals, the Jihads.

It is quite foolish.

Edit: This is not meant to offend anyone, so please don't start a flamewar with me.
The crusades was not something led by God, it was led by man. Corrupt people trying to masquerade as christians. Holy war is not acceptable to christians, and it never has been or will be. I mean christians as in people who are christ-like, so no one bring up the old testament unless you are curious.
If I'm so scared, then why is my life beautiful? Why do I get to talk to God and get him actually speaking back to me and have my family be knit back together? You have no clue what you are talking about. You just insulted billions of people because you are to dumb to take the time to do anything else but be judgemental. I don't mean to flame which is what I'm doing, but how could you say that all christians are scared? Generalized statement is a soft way to put it! You have no clue what happens to you when you die. What does that make you..? brave? Goodness..

Jellybelly

Smash Ace

fear of God is good. not like shaking when you hear about him, but knowing your position reletive to Him.
To believe in god out of fear? I'm pretty certain that goes against everything that Christianity stands for.

Oh and I speak as a man of logic, but I never stated that I was a man of wisdom. The answers to my questions elude me, but I do know that I won't find them in the bible, Koran or any other religous scripture.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
straight8 said:
You can't love because you are taught too. Love is more than emotion, it is a state of mind. "devout christians" don't love because they're taught to, they love because they want to. you don't know what you're talking about.
Patience, acceptance, forgiveness, compassion - all elements of love that are also virtues taught by Christianity. It's a general compassion for all mankind. Feeling special for that kind of love is like feeling special when the greeter at Wal-Mart tells you to have a nice day. It's their job.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm not a Christian, but I'm glad that you were willing to give the religion thing a try. I have and its not for me... the only time I insult Christianity is when a Christian gay bashes or tells me I'm going to hell.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
what christian that has searched for God at all hasn't questioned christianity thousands of times?

Who doesn't need help and guidance? what world do you live in?
Christians are actually the strongest people. You don't know many real believers, do you?

The crusades was not something led by God, it was led by man. Corrupt people trying to masquerade as christians. Holy war is not acceptable to christians, and it never has been or will be. I mean christians as in people who are christ-like, so no one bring up the old testament unless you are curious.
If I'm so scared, then why is my life beautiful? Why do I get to talk to God and get him actually speaking back to me and have my family be knit back together? You have no clue what you are talking about. You just insulted billions of people because you are to dumb to take the time to do anything else but be judgemental. I don't mean to flame which is what I'm doing, but how could you say that all christians are scared? Generalized statement is a soft way to put it! You have no clue what happens to you when you die. What does that make you..? brave? Goodness..
I may be brave for being agnostic but it has nothing to do with what happens to me when I die. (And its not like you know what happens to when you die... You have FAITH that you might be rewarded for living your life "in the word of god". )

I have to put up with you, forboxgux and other trolls like you.

I am not a judgmental person, I have Christians friends and I am cool with them being Christian and they are cool with my agnosticism. I will admit my statement was a little to generalized when refering to all christians. However you definately fit the criteria of those I was speaking of.

As one last note. I have given serious thought into my choices. I have read the Bible and to me that was when I decided that I wanted NOTHING to do with the Christian Church.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Why do I get to talk to God and get him actually speaking back to me and have my family be knit back together?..
uhmm just wanna be sure on something...when u said God actually talked back to u....did u mean he actually spoke words to u....or that he did something miraculous as a response?? :dizzy:

gratefulxgrapefruit

Smash Rookie
This thread is laughable.
Religion isn't useless. I'm not particularly religious, but I can still see the value of it. If anything, it's infinitely more useful than atheism. Please tell me what its done for us?

I think everyone should be forced to read Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut at some point in their life. Religion made so much more sense after reading the opinions in that book, coupled with my own + whatever else I've been taught.

cF=)

Smash Lord
it's infinitely more useful than atheism. Please tell me what its done for us?
Maybe not lacking the belief of a "god" but contradicting religion's teachings gave us science... you know, the computer you're typing on right now? :)

straight8: you're a troll, but a good one though. I'm almost catching on what you say but your lack of any intelligent, rational or factual talk is just crushing my head in half. Are you a creationist?

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
Value of Christianity?

Lets play Pros and Cons

Pros: Gives valuable moral lessons. It saves the weak and afraid from facing uncertainty when they die.

Cons: Religious Violence (I.E: The Crusades, Now listen I understand that people did this however they were pushed by the word of god), People just gladly hand over there money to the church every Sunday, Catholic Priests (jk jk), the average Christian is ignorant and intolerable, I could go on...

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
If anything, it's infinitely more useful than atheism. Please tell me what its done for us?
please tell me why our prisons are overcrowded with religious people. please tell me why religious people think torture can be justified over secular people.

slave1

Smash Lord
DeadtoSin what christian faith are you. i dont want to go through the pages of rants and so on to find out. anyways i am alway sup for learning something new about another faith.

CivicSmash

Smash Apprentice
He prefers neither. He prefers worship.

Why? The Bible says God hates most people, since God is a being of hatred.

Then why does he send them there? Why does he laugh at them burning in hell?

Then why didn't he create free will? Free will does not exist for a reason, God thinks such an idea is foolish.

God chooses if you believe in him or not. So of course you don't have to, since God doesn't want you to believe in him, if that's the case.

That has to be the worst saying I've ever heard in my life regarding Christianity, and if any preacher preaches that, he is a false prophet. I'd avoid them, for they don't preach Christianity.

How did I attack him? I said he was an idol worshiper, and he PM'd me a gazillion times with curse words and nasty messages. How is that attacking him?

Its sad how narrow minded and brainwashed you are. Your mind is like a tiny little box the size of dice. People like you are everything wrong with this country. Do us all a favor and go fight and die in Iraq. Crazy religious nut. If everyone said to jump off a cliff, would you? I think so.

Your statements aren't just absolutely outrageously wrong, but they are sick. You think that god laughs at innocent deaths? Your like a religious nazi. Did someone watch The Passion a few too many times? Why don't you try to read another book besides the bible. You'll be safe I promise.

But let's all face it, there is no hope for you. You are like a dead, possesed zombie.
It's not your fault though, i guess. You've probably been surrounded by crazy people your whole life.

Frankly, i find people like you scary. Its like they lack the ability to think. Religion is like a parasite that has been attached to you at birth, and your mind hasn't developed properly.

I thought people like you only existed in like the 1800's and before.

Top Bottom