• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why doesn't anybody play Time matches?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
In time matches when you're nearing death percent it's smart to just jump off and SD and take the -1 rather than getting killed and getting -1 and your opponent getting +1.

This makes the game extremely ********.
Exactly, unless your playing Fox who will make doing so very impossible. Fox is gonna have a huge advantage in this because he can pick off your SD's.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
if your talkin about 2 minutes then i would say timed matches are not fun. bcuz pretty much one guy gets a kill and then at the end of the match the other dude gets a kill and then it goes to sudden death. it happens all the time. but if your talkin about 3min or higher i guess i would have a different opinion.
this is what i find happens all the time, if your playing against anyone who's decent competition. Anytime i end up doing time matches in a 1v1 its like might as well cut out the middle man and just set it to sudden death.

Coin matches are pretty ridiculous, the only use I've found for them is i can get my girlfriend to play smash if we play coins. It works well, i just rampage like its a FFA and see how many ko's i can get while she collects the coins.In the end she'll win, but in my mind i won cause i got the most ko's. Coin matches are probably the least intimidating type of matches which does make it a good way to intro the game to someone who might be turned off by the thought of a "fighting" game.

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
In time matches when you're nearing death percent it's smart to just jump off and SD and take the -1 rather than getting killed and getting -1 and your opponent getting +1.

This makes the game extremely ********.

EDIT- I guess SD=-2 would fix the problem
This doesn't work unless you avoid taking damage from your opponent for about 2 minutes. Even if your snake and you use a mine to kill yourself, for example, your opponent still gets a point.

wangston

Smash Lord
You can't just jump off the touch the ground and jump off the edge. You could in melee, but not in brawl. If some one hits you and you run off and kill yourself it's still their kills.

BlueShield

Smash Cadet
I play times matches alot. For fun! Always must be 4 people playing or else it wont be fun. Items also gotta be on. (Oooo Deku Nut)

Time matches, coin matches are all about fun but stock is where the fun 1 VS 1 happens.

Stamina is... meh. Straying away from the whole pont of the SSB series is not that cool.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
If I do paly modes other than stock, I'll usually do Stamina just because it's so different. Although it's not a very balanced mode, if you're playing against a slow character, a campy character can win the match with long-range moves alone (Fox lazers = Stamina mode death lol).

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
Stock Matches work for Duels (1v1) because it takes away much of the incentive to run away.
Time matches work in the same way for FFAs (though not quite as effective).

If otherwise, people can win by avoiding conflict. Most people here play Duels because its very effective for determining skill and because tournaments are setup to run in this way, so stock , rather than time, matches are the accepted way of playing Smash Bros.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Time is definitely better than stock for FFAs. The main reason is that that way it stays a FFA for the entire match. With Stock FFAs, it eventually degrades to a 1v1. Plus, it encourages you to get in there and kill people, rather than waiting for the other people to kill each other.

For 1v1, time has a few issues. Mainly the odd way this game scores them and the possibility of time running out right as your opponent is flying from a lethal blow (or, even worse, while they're falling into the background).

Meccs

@Meccs_
I always play stock. Maybe it's just me, but the most fun games (for anything, Mario Party, minigames, whatever) are always survival/last man standing games.
Time matches make sense for Wi-Fi, but I find stock much much much more fun.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I have to agree with Ampharos with this one.

The people who suggest that it isn't broken just clearly don't understand what he is saying.

MONEY IS ON THE LINE.

If I stand to win even $50 dollars from this match, I will do ANYTHING in my power to win. That 50 dollars is a new game for me, a gift for my girlfriend, an extra 50 dollars into my savings and etc.
So now imagine you are playing for $500, even $1000 at a big tourney.
Are you seriously going to tell me that you won't out wait your opponent if that is the best way to insure you get the money?

Let's say one player is MK and the other is playing Marth. Neither have a projectile. Neither can force an approach on the other. If each player stands at the end of Smashville expecting the other to approach it will simply not happen.

If one player approaches that puts them in a lesser position as Brawl favors defense. Therefor it is the best option to simply bore the other player so much into approaching. If you can out wait them and make them come to you, you will have the advantage.

What Ampharos is saying is that who ever has to go to the bathroom first, who ever falls asleep first, who ever has to eat first, or whatever the reason, they will loose. It isn't based on skill anymore. It is based on endurance of that person's body; Smash isn't a test on this. It is about who can take every option given to them to win and use them the most effectively.

Time matches force one character to approach or loose. If I am not forced to approach then why should I? Stalling is part of the game. Smash isn't about having honor or morals when it comes to battle. It is about playing to win. If my best option to win is to take a percent lead and plank and hundreds of dollars is on the line than you better believe I will take that option. I'm winning money, you aren't, who do you think is happier in this situation? It isn't my fault your character can't lob a projectile over the edge of the stage to hit me.

If you aren't going to play to win then don't play. Simple as that.

On the real topic.... Stock matches are tradition and a purely timed match is also deemed uncompetitive. Stamina matches only promote two aspects of the game. Damage and punishing and completely removes the whole landing a kill move factor of the game. It also favors certain characters WAY too much. Fox can just spam B the entire time and use his speed to get out when you get too close to him, Olimar just has to throw Pikmin until you die and etc.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
If they are that might be why their tier list is so bad.
That and just the style they play too. They don't understand the whole play to win attitude of the rest of the Smash scene.

I'm sorry, but Japan has their own seperate list?
You can find an old version somewhere around here, but as for a recent release I don't know the layout of the current one.
The old version had Fox in top tier though XD
Just watch any Japanese match on Youtube and you can see how they play very aggressively with like every character. They can get away with things that anyone knows how to punish out here in the states.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
Time mode also takes too long for a tourney match to finish. Most matches end in 3-5 minutes, and the normal limit is 8. That would be boring.

Stamina, completely changes the way the game is played.
DI basically becomes useless, Spamming is win, and if stamina was to become good, they should have Stock stamina, where you have, say 4 stock, and 150hp per stock.

Coin matches are for the lulz.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Time mode also takes too long for a tourney match to finish. Most matches end in 3-5 minutes, and the normal limit is 8. That would be boring.

Stamina, completely changes the way the game is played.
DI basically becomes useless, Spamming is win, and if stamina was to become good, they should have Stock stamina, where you have, say 4 stock, and 150hp per stock.

Coin matches are for the lulz.
Yeah and there are many long combos because the knockback doesn't really increase from what I understand. So some CG characters can just ****.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
You see, if it alternates between you kill your opponent, your opponent kills you, over and over you'll probably be tied when the time runs out, also this would cause everyone to straight out rush for kills all the time then camp until the time is out (I assume the time would be less than 8 minutes).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
You see, if it alternates between you kill your opponent, your opponent kills you, over and over you'll probably be tied when the time runs out, also this would cause everyone to straight out rush for kills all the time then camp until the time is out (I assume the time would be less than 8 minutes).
That already is kinda what happens in some ways. Aggressive characters try to get an early lead sometimes and then aerial camp in the meantime. But the issue is how messed up time is.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
In time if you spike someone and commit suicide, you get +1 for the kill and -1 for the suicide. Your opponent gets a -1 for being killed.

You win.

Theres nothing competitive about killing yourself to kill your opponent.

Genome Squirrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkCoffee
In time if you spike someone and commit suicide, you get +1 for the kill and -1 for the suicide. Your opponent gets a -1 for being killed.

You win.

Theres nothing competitive about killing yourself to kill your opponent.
thats only true if you can stall perfectly over two mintues which takes a degree of skill.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I have to agree with Ampharos with this one.

The people who suggest that it isn't broken just clearly don't understand what he is saying.

MONEY IS ON THE LINE.

If I stand to win even $50 dollars from this match, I will do ANYTHING in my power to win. That 50 dollars is a new game for me, a gift for my girlfriend, an extra 50 dollars into my savings and etc.
So now imagine you are playing for $500, even $1000 at a big tourney.
Are you seriously going to tell me that you won't out wait your opponent if that is the best way to insure you get the money?

Let's say one player is MK and the other is playing Marth. Neither have a projectile. Neither can force an approach on the other. If each player stands at the end of Smashville expecting the other to approach it will simply not happen.

If one player approaches that puts them in a lesser position as Brawl favors defense. Therefor it is the best option to simply bore the other player so much into approaching. If you can out wait them and make them come to you, you will have the advantage.

What Ampharos is saying is that who ever has to go to the bathroom first, who ever falls asleep first, who ever has to eat first, or whatever the reason, they will loose. It isn't based on skill anymore. It is based on endurance of that person's body; Smash isn't a test on this. It is about who can take every option given to them to win and use them the most effectively.

Time matches force one character to approach or loose. If I am not forced to approach then why should I? Stalling is part of the game. Smash isn't about having honor or morals when it comes to battle. It is about playing to win. If my best option to win is to take a percent lead and plank and hundreds of dollars is on the line than you better believe I will take that option. I'm winning money, you aren't, who do you think is happier in this situation? It isn't my fault your character can't lob a projectile over the edge of the stage to hit me.

If you aren't going to play to win then don't play. Simple as that.

On the real topic.... Stock matches are tradition and a purely timed match is also deemed uncompetitive. Stamina matches only promote two aspects of the game. Damage and punishing and completely removes the whole landing a kill move factor of the game. It also favors certain characters WAY too much. Fox can just spam B the entire time and use his speed to get out when you get too close to him, Olimar just has to throw Pikmin until you die and etc.
You SERIOUSLY believe that because neither of them have a projectile, they have no safe means of approach, and therefore they will never attack each other in a game with money on the line? Have you ever played this game?

And how is planking useful in this situation? When the timer is removed, planking becomes a much less effective tactic. You put yourself at a disadvantageous position on the stage to stall...for what? You're wasting so much effort while the opponent just sits on the stage with a clearly superior position in regards to zoning.

Having the timer removed is just as broken as having the timer off: timer on promotes stalling strategies to claim victories, while timer off removes the time element and renders stalling tactics quite useless; this also enables matches to become potentially longer, and upon reflection I retract my statement about 'more shorter matches than longer matches'. With the timer off, however, I personally believe that the winner of the matches would have won a shorter match regardless, and only serves to equalize the playing field without extra external factors.

The fact remains that we need it to keep our events running on time. No choice in that regard.

IrArby

Smash Ace
In a word "stalling".

Stalling happens in professional sports but theres obviously rules to prevent it. The problem is, sports can go on a lot longer if were playing to a certain score (i.e. Smash and stocks) so they have time limits superior to score limits.

Smash is the other way around since it still has a time limit which is secondary to a score limit. Imposing a time limit on Smash helps to prevent excessive stalling. Imposing a score limit on a timed game just reduces how competitive people will play each other and try to score.

Thats why the Super Bowl is usually a very conservative game for both teams (barring exceptions like the last one obviously). Think about it, get your two touchdowns in and bunker down. They even said no team has overcome a score defecit of more than 10 points since they play strictly to win within the time limit and take a knee for the last possession.

Btw I don't really like football but its an obvious example that lots of people can relate to.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I only play Time when it come's to playing with my younger friends that's around 10 or so because they kill themselves too fast. Also if you play with time, you can make your self get a Pitty Smash by just killing yourself for planing and unleash it when you get the lead again. And of course, Time Mode make's promotes stalling if your in the lead some of the time. ♥

Top Bottom