• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does every non-jiggs player hate him/her/it?

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered before but it seems that there is an inordinate amount of hate for jigglypuff. Given that she is often viewed as an underdog, she can still mess you up six ways to sunday if someone is using her well. Are those haters just unable to play as her? is she too cute? Do they just not want to give her a chance? This is something I need to now as it is the most confusing thing I've seen on smashboards.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
She is a difficult character to play with and so most noobish players hate her. Others are used to her style in melee and dislike her new style, causing more hate. Finally, some hate her off-stage abilities (like my friend who uses C Falcon, allowing me to just nair sex-kick him to his death off stage). However, true users either respect her.

__G__

Smash Cadet
I think it has to do with the almost complete lack of people who play her in Brawl. Or, maybe because the best Melee players (King, Mango) are never on these boards, or post brawl videos, so no one sees Jiggs being used well. Also, she got nerfed - don't get me wrong, she's still good, but she definitely got nerfed from Melee. Lastly, with the addition of several other characters (pit, MK, snake, pokemon trainer, etc.), Jiggs might not look that appealing anymore.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
G, about that, I'm going to try to post a video soon (although it would suck compared to King and you likely). I have some awesome off-stage WoP's and I am going to try to bring back some love to Jigglypuff. On the IGN boards, I have found so many users annoyed and hate her because of rest being nerfed, which shows how much her style has been changed. It is kind of like how many users would hate Captain Falcon if he stopped being fast and instead became like Ganondorf.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Jiggs is an acquired taste. She doesn't follow the style that most new players are wanting to play. They only care about cool swords or lighting fast attacks. I met a kid that played snake because he had a missile launcher. :/ And all the vetaran Jiggs just can't get used to her new style. I mained Falcon in melee, and had every intention to play him in Brawl, but he's just too different from the Melee version, I couldn't adjust. It doesn't help that he really sucks lol. But I barely played her in Melee, except in the time between when I played brawl for the first time til I got a wii and the game, and I decided that I could pick her up, since I didn't play her in Melee and could adjust easily. She's just a harder to play character, so some Ike nubs hate her.

__G__

Smash Cadet
G, about that, I'm going to try to post a video soon (although it would suck compared to King and you likely). I have some awesome off-stage WoP's and I am going to try to bring back some love to Jigglypuff. On the IGN boards, I have found so many users annoyed and hate her because of rest being nerfed, which shows how much her style has been changed. It is kind of like how many users would hate Captain Falcon if he stopped being fast and instead became like Ganondorf.
I hope you do make a video, man. Anything we can get would be helpful. Don't worry about it not being on King's level, thats a pretty high standard, but I'm sure you'll have some good matches that people will enjoy watching.

Also, I am one of the Jiggs veterans who still plays her. I never thought her playstyle changed to such a great extent. I mean, sure, resting to kill people at low percentages is gone, but the same basic stuff is there, just with more of an emphasis on fairs. I, for one, never found it hard to adjust, and I didn't think anyone who played Jiggs in Melee would.

Looking forward to your video, hope to see it soon.

Oh, and as a side note, don't make the soundtrack just some cliche hard rock or something like that lol.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Probably because everyone sees Jigs as that useless Nintendo character that doesn't really stand out as a mascot. Plus the fact that she's light, doesn't have much reach, and doesn't hit all that hard (some people I've seen still don't know what Rest does, but I guess they're in a different category).

Anyways, I'll also work on a video in the coming weeks, assuming I can find my brother's video camera and all the necessary cables. It'll be my first attempt at editing and such, so don't expect anything big.

TheStig

Smash Lord
i love it when people who don't even use jiggs, come on the jiggs boards to say that she sucks

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I found that her style changed a huge amount but I liked the new one. My style in melee was spam U-throw to rest. Killed every time...

It was fun, though, to use her WoP. I didn't know much of anything in melee and so when her rest was gone, I had to find new techniques. This made me go WoP

Bobobob1

Smash Rookie
Actually, the reason most people seem to hate jigg in general, is cause she is a ***** to play against. Her whole play style revolves around getting a hit in, and floating away, until theres enough damage for WoP or rest oppurtunity. Its like playing against a campy falco, melee (not the game) version. Its just not fun to play against at all, an aggravating. However, when your the one being jiggs, its a great time :D

Spiteful Link

Smash Rookie
I don't play Jigglypuff, but I certainly don't hate her. In fact, I enjoy seeing Jigglypuff win BECAUSE most people consider her an underdog, and it's always fun to see someone who's a little too judgmental based simply off of character getting their *** handed to them by Jiggs. I like doing it myself sometimes - but then again, Jiggs definitely isn't my best character.

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
I used to hate jigglypuff alot ever since SSB the 64 version, specially in the pokemon anime, with her microphone(acually Ash's) sings people to sleep and then sqribbles on their faces. In addition to that I saw her as useless because of her slow speed and light weight and week attcks.

After seeing some combo videos of it in Melee I decided to try out the Wop in Brawl and thne I decided to main her in Brawl and Jiggltpuff kinda grew on me and now I feel sorry for all the hate I had for her. she's my secondary to Ness now

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
all right, thanks guys. It is just that I was getting irked the other day when I kept hearing about how Jiggs' time has come to leave and my peevish fanboy side overreacted. I love playing jigglypuff for the sheer novelty of using her and don't want her to ever leave the series.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I honestly have no problem with Jigglypuff. In fact, I'm glad that she's in the game. I would have been upset, possibly even had quit playing the SSB series if they cut anyone from the original. Gladly they didn't because this is my favorite game, ever. I personally think Jigglypuff is underestimated in SSBB. As well as Melee. Though, they really tuned Jigglypuff up in Brawl. I'm glad they did.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Jiggly isn't as cute as * points to my account picture *. I never really used Jiggly, but I never hated her - though in the anime I did.

-GourrY-

Smash Rookie
Well, I think most people hate her because:
1- She's very very easy to KO with everyone;

2- One needs to train to learn how to recover without Up+b (using side B isn't really easy to recover as mario's Coin uppercut, for example)

3- Sing and Rest are very very hard to use. If you don't use Jiggly as a main or secondary, it's impossible to use these moves. Two B moves that can't be used in battle... Also, Rollout isn't that hard to block or jump over, because of it's startup lag. Two B moves hard to use and one hard to hit with.

4- She doesn't have that many pros to compensate for the first 3 reasons. I mean, if you want Air Mobility try Wario; if you want to chain attacks try Ness/Zamus/Marth; if you want powerful moves try Ike.

5- She lacks moves with disjointed hitboxes and projectiles, which means she usually can't attack some characters without risking herself to be damaged.

6- You NEED to avoid being hit at all costs. If you're good enough to dodge most attacks as Jiggly, you could do that with anyone.

What I tried to show is that the problem isn't the character, but her playstyle. High risk, not so high reward. The skill you need to play as her is similar to the skill needed to master one of the "top tier" characters like Snake ATs and Metaknight's...

R4ZE

Smash Ace
I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered before but it seems that there is an inordinate amount of hate for jigglypuff. Given that she is often viewed as an underdog, she can still mess you up six ways to sunday if someone is using her well. Are those haters just unable to play as her? is she too cute? Do they just not want to give her a chance? This is something I need to now as it is the most confusing thing I've seen on smashboards.

well.. i dont main jiggs, but yea i do see a common hate. OR atleast a common thought that "jiggs is the worst character in brawl"

honestly idk if jiggs is the worst just bcuzz i havent seen jiggs played enuff at all.

but in responce to ur quesiton: i think its mainly because of jiggs being modified enuff to where the playstyle form melee has changed a lot (if nothing else, in regards to down-b)

many players loved jiggs for the down-b destruction which she no longer really has, since it requires a lot more damage than 30% to kill with it.

and for the road... i LOVE jiggs new neutral b... and i love abusing it with her just for fun... =) and i know.. im a noob lol but its fun...

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
They hate her because they're ignorant and hate getting beasted on by a character they just assume is horrible and really embarrassing to get beaten by.

But thats exactly why I enjoy playing her :)

PCHU

Smash Lord
Jiggz was teh_roq.
Look at it now.
They've taken away everything we liked.
They nerfed a rubber ball.
YOU DON'T NERF THE RUBBER, MAN!

I bet they were thinking of nerfing Ness.
It seems they've done it to Yoshi.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Good people hate jiggs because jiggs sucks in brawl. Right now there are no good jiggs mains because everyone good who played jiggs at the start of brawl has switched to a new main. Jiggs dies like a little ***** because of how light she is, can't rest until your opponent is over like 80%, the only combo that leads to rest at that percent is dair to rest, has ****ty ****ty priority in comparison to like every other character, can't carry people away with bair anymore, no longer has a god recovery in comparison to every other character, can't edge guard as good because like everyone has a really good recovery and most characters snap to the edge, and she lost her aerial control. The only thing that the new jiggs has going for her is a beefed up fair and her 5 jumps makes it easier to follow people's airdodges.

Edit: pound is also better because of the lack of wave dashing.

Edit2: but jiggs still got way worse.

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
Well, as it has been said many times, it's mainly the difficulty most face when trying to use her, and her changes. My brother, who mained Jigglypuff and Marth in Melee, is not sure if he will still stick with Jiggly in brawl. As for myself, I'm not very good with her, I actually have a lot of fun while playing her, and definitely respect her. It's oh-so-satisfying when Jiggly beats someone who underestimates her.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
How can you underestimate Jigglypuff? She sucks like way hard. If their is any underestimating its of the player, not of jiggs. And tell your bro to switch mains.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Bowyer, just because you hopped onto the space animals bandwagon doesn't mean Jiggly isn't worth playing. Jiggly is a beast if you take the time to figure wtf you're doing.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I didn't hop on the space animal band wagon. I main falco in melee, not brawl. And trust me, I know what the hell I'm doing with jiggs in brawl and I've beaten pros with her, Needle of Juntah's G&W and Vidjo's MK to name a couple, but in all honesty, jiggs is seriously like the top of bottom tier and it sucks playing as her because you are basically at a huge disadvantage in like almost all match ups.

TheStig

Smash Lord
I didn't hop on the space animal band wagon. I main falco in melee, not brawl. And trust me, I know what the hell I'm doing with jiggs in brawl and I've beaten pros with her, Needle of Juntah's G&W and Vidjo's MK to name a couple, but in all honesty, jiggs is seriously like the top of bottom tier and it sucks playing as her because you are basically at a huge disadvantage in like almost all match ups.
alright we all know that jiggs sucks so stop reminding us after everyone's post please

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Just curious, do you still play brawl or have you gone completely back to melee.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
I've gone back to melee. I've played brawl for a total of like 3 or 4 hours in the past month and the last brawl tournament I went to, I dropped out during pools because it was so boring.

tden21

Smash Rookie
I play with Jigglypuff because of the satisfaction I get when i wreck my friends with the puff slap. Jigglypuff is a hard character to play with but few people know how to fight it because no one uses it.

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
I don't know why people think Jiggs is so bad. A lot of my friends who I play against absolutely despise her for one reason:
1. They play me, and I'm playing with Jiggs.
2. I win.
3. They try out Jiggs.
4. They lose.
5. They hate me.
6. Lather, rinse, repeat.
A lot of my friends go for the popular Ike and Pit - a lot don't really understand "practice". Jiggs has a steep learning curve, but I've come to love playing as Jiggs because people rarely know how to play AGAINST her because they don't know the ins and outs of playing AS her.

Top Bottom