• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why do you play the blue bird?

Mr. Derp

Smash Apprentice
FORMALLY: Ryu777 ...OLD POST COUNT: around 500
I searched "why play falco" and got no results but I still find it hard to beleive no one has made this yet... oh well.

Theres been some smack against falco players, people talking about him being cheap and that people only pick him up so that they cna start winning quickly. I dont know about everyone else, but I never picked him up for this reason, in fact since I first unlocked him in 100-man-melee I liked him much better than fox and and he was my "best" character even before I knew aboiut advanced techs.

Then I saw shined blind... that got me into adavnced stuff and this led tome seeing videlos of my favortie character, falco. Thats when I saw those amazing combos and decided I would stick with him until the end of smash. It just so happens that I picked an amazing character who has an answer for pretty much any situation.

so tell me, why did u pick falco, hopefully this horrible falco stereotype can be disproven.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
back when i was a noob i saw BS vids and thought there was a lot of style and power in falco, without being top tier (this was before the tier switch) and so i practiced him. then i went to some tourneys, lost horribly, and switched characters a lot. the last few days ive just been picking him up because he is always one of the most fun chars to play. im thinking of trying him out in the next tourney i go to (next weekend i believe...) but if i need to i can still fall back on my marth/shiek lol

Truedge930

Smash Apprentice
Back when I was a noob (still am, but less so) playing free for alls with friends, I started off playing Sheik, but then I decided randomly that I'd play Falco. His attacks just seem to come naturally so I've been maining him ever since. Has to be Red, I personally think it's his coolest outfit.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
I inititally started playing the game with Fox since I played him in SSB64. Shortly after I unlocked Falco, I found him more meatier(?) and his weight/attacks more comfortable for my playstyle and hands.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I also picked him before the tier was revised. Mainly cuz i played fox in ssb 64 but he was too hard to pick up back then in melee so I saw Bombsoldier and picked up falco with samus. You can start owning pretty fast. Too bad all I did was shl. Anyways, with time, i started shine comboing and now I will pull him out on fox's with style.

Plus he can be VERY flashy and I like that.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
because of bombsoldier.

the ability to knock someone up into the air and get up and knock him back down before he can even move is so awesome, reminds me of dragonball. falco rules.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
because before i thought i was cold with fox because i beat a lvl 9 computer, then my home boy came to my house and beat me *** with falco. so i decided fox sucked and i would go wit falco.

and people who want to get good fast just pick up marth cheap ***

James Sparrow

Smash Master
i started using falco because i could move forward while fsmashing, and do like 3 in a row on my friends back when i would have been like wavedash? walltech? wtf is that?

AlPhAsTaTuS

Smash Rookie
first i tried a lot of characters but i found out that faloc just suits me best

i like his air atacks- aspecialy his shffl atacks best and the shff laser atack

but i also play with fox and c. falcon

Holy Ji

Smash Apprentice
The bird's the best. I play terribly with almost any other character. Falco's SH is easy, he's got SHL and the best Dair.
I sometimes use IC, Ness, and Marth. I suck with Fox. (GASP)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
and people who want to get good fast just pick up marth cheap ***
that is not true at all... marth has been one of my mains forever. he was the only char i played before i knew about any of the adv techs or anything. he is not as simple as u think to play. if u want to talk simple i could just point out how falco is mostly just shine dair and fsmash, with a little bit of shl in there (unless ur mathos, then its a LOT :D)

7ak

Smash Journeyman
Before I knew about advanced tech. I liked Falco/Link but once I saw Bombsoldier.......I just had to learn to play like that. I was also pretty shocked to see how powerful SHL was when I saw Mathos vs. Hugs in the crew battle vid. along with Dope's insane pillar to waveshine to pillar on that Fox.

I've found that the better you get with Falco the more fun he is to play. He's got some of the most flashy combos in the game on many characters so you can just let it flow when you play.

Now I also like using maybe 10-12 other characters but Falco is still my favorite.

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
that is not true at all... marth has been one of my mains forever. he was the only char i played before i knew about any of the adv techs or anything. he is not as simple as u think to play. if u want to talk simple i could just point out how falco is mostly just shine dair and fsmash, with a little bit of shl in there (unless ur mathos, then its a LOT :D)
marths my maine to. and if he is your maine u should know first hand how cheap and easy he is to get the hang of. me and most people who play marth just picked him because he was a easy character to get used to.

Abulize

Smash Journeyman
I forgot what made me want to pickup the bird. Maybe it was just my own preference but the reason I picked up over Fox is because everyone is a Fox player. I think Falco's shine combos are insane. And what finally set me off was watching Soldier of Fortune. That combo vid sold me :p.

EDIT - 200th post :).

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
I played Doc before the bird but it just wasn't working. One day I played Falco and it just clicked. Shortly after that my friend showed me all of Bombsoldier's vids, and that just cemented it. I love his style of play you can pressure or play defensive, its your preference.Falco's pretty much the reason I had to get better with tech skill, which helped me as a better player overall.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Pick up Falco and win easily? I've always found his Shine combos pretty **** hard to perform. In fact, I STILL can't shine combo with Falco. I can get in a shine and a drill easily, but after that, never any more. I for some reason just can't get used to his laggy wavedash ether, and I longjump instead of WD 50% of the time.

Anyway, I really like Falco, mainly. For some reason (this is going to sound sad), but I don't quite feel comfortable playing with a character who does not have the shine xD. I dunno, going into a fight knowing I have a move that comes out instantly (as far as the game is concerned, 1 frame is instantanious) and can break combos makes me feel more secure.

I'm acualy absolutely terrible with Falco. I'm way, way better with Fox , but I've always liked Falco more, so I play with him. I have naturally quick hands, so the space animals seemed to be made for my play style.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
marths my maine to. and if he is your maine u should know first hand how cheap and easy he is to get the hang of. me and most people who play marth just picked him because he was a easy character to get used to.
easy to play is not the same as easy to win with. play people at higher levels and u will realize that it is easier and simpler to win with falco than with marth.

lengeta

Smash Ace
I initially picked him up for his f-smash, spike, and jump speed, him and Young Link 'felt' the best to play IMO. As my group of friends started getting better I picked up Shiek instead since she ***** everyone. Over time my Shiek game became very predictible against my friends, and a Mario shield-grabbed me to death at my first ever tournament (I was still an uber-nub). Blown away by the shield-grabbing tactic, I finally visited Smashboards. By this point I was worn out with Shiek, and still thought Falco just felt better than other characters with the way he moved, so I began picking him back up, and now keep him. I do hate his recovery though, so Fox has been worked into my secondary, but I miss a lot of stuff with him having used Falco so much, namely his short-hop, and I miss Falco's wavedash for awhile after playing Fox.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I picked up Falco cause he's got style. Everything he does looks so **** cool and painful for the other side. Everything he does is flashy, from the twirl in his jump to the crossed arms for the lasers, and it's hard not to respect a dude who can kick *** and look good doing it.

Than being said, I've stuck with falco for his insane ability to control a match. As falco, I feel like my opponent is always on the ropes and just fighting for some opening to **** me up. Sure, when that happens, it sucks, but it's always my fault and I can aim my focus at fixing my problems, instead of b!tching about how I just never had a chance.

For the record, being moderately skilled with marth is easy, but being truly good with him is far more difficult than expected. Most players run into a wall with Marth and end up being very mediocre next to good players with him. But if you're very good with spacing, timing, and mindgames, he can become one of the deadliest characters. I have nothing but respect for the great marth's out there, and I think they're highly underapreciated for what goes into playing their character.

Whether this makes him harder to play than Falco is another issue, but I think it's mostly a matter of the player, and debate who takes more skill is a pointless endevor that results in different people believing different things and no way to distinguish it, so just leave it be.

A-Laon

Smash Master
When I was a total noob scrub, I was insanely jump-happy. Falco has the highest jumps -- that must make him awesome!!

And yet, despite this totally stupid reason for liking him in the very beginning, as I've developed as a smasher, I've grown to love him for his wickedly lethal and show-offish playstyle and also because his utter obliteration of opponents when in control but immense vulnerability to combos and edgeguards after a screw up put a great emphasis on playing flawlessly, creating a test of skill that is always in my hands and can be perpetually improved on.

Eggm

Smash Hero
haha, shined blind is what got me into completive smash also.. heh.. anyways it was a combination of things that made me pickup falco, i was just messing around one day and playing him vs my roomate, and i was like wow i'm not that bad with him at all.. also i had been losing to shieks chainthrowing my yoshi a bunch, so i heard he was good vs shiek and i was having SO MUCH FUN playing falco, then i realized hes the perfect char for me since I play mainly all tech skill no mind games type of play, and falco can be really really good with just tech skill, although i'm still tryign to work on mind games i just suck at them D:

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
easy to play is not the same as easy to win with. play people at higher levels and u will realize that it is easier and simpler to win with falco than with marth.
I ment to say easy to play with and win, my bad. and marth is easy all you gotta do is line up your tip when finishing off wanna of his easy air combos. I know what i'm tlkin about i do play n tourneys. I'm not a noob

terr13

Smash Journeyman
I used to play Marth, but after awhile I realized just how gay he is....so I found Falco. I think it was mostly because my friend played Falco, and before we got into more competitive smash, I could beat his Falco with mine. Sadly, that is no longer true.

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
maybe im being stupid... but... isnt shined blind a video of fox's shine?

or does it have falco shine combos too?

i just remember a lot of zelgadis... waveshining eddie...

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I mainly picked him up because the majority of players around my area like Fox too much. I loved Fox in the day, and I was a HUGE fan of Sheik, I quit Sheik because I found out her game is tilts, that eventually lead to a F-Air. WHAT FUN IS THAT. Well Sheik requires more than that, but I hated winning like that, so I changed. I FELT CHEAP USING HER so I changed.
I think the Final ticket that opened me up though was watching, Falco's SHFFL, and the drill, shine combos since at the time, I didn't know what that was. It's cool to know that a char, can be fast, and offensive

cu00x19

Smash Apprentice
I've always had Falco in my top 3 since I've unlocked him in melee. Never stuck with at first b/c I thought he was slow (like, three years ago, perhaps 4. Perhaps.) and I was like, "Fox's Usmash FTW!?!1!"

Then I found out that I Fsmashed a ton and found Falco's to be stronger...Stronger meant easier wins. I knew he had a higher and faster jump than Fox, so he became my main and he has been for the years until I discovered smashboards.com. Sure, I saw all these crazy combo videos likde Soldier of Fortune and Shined Blind. Unfortunately, I was captivated by this "Sephirothken" and Marth for an unreasonably long periiod of time.

Yeah, I forgot Falco; it was all about the Ken Combo and areial Zero-2-deaths. Then my friend, Deth, started using his Marth like that, and after a bit, he started winning...a lot more than usual. Eventually, before joining Bakura's crew, Deth's Marth was even or better than mine.

I watched those Bombsoldier vids again, saw how Ken got comboed, saw Fox's getting shined all over the stage, ledgeteches...then it clicked.

"I want to main Falco again, but this time it's real."

So I did, and he's stronger than ever. Marth's my second now, but my Falco is the deadliest thing to grace my Gamecube. Also, I use him because of the "difficulty" it takes to make him lethal. The tech skill, timing, comboing, predicting...all of that. I like having a difficult yet flashy character to control.

~Life

falco_4_life

Smash Lord
It took me awhile to main falco to. i kept switchin charcters. 1st was fox then falco then marth then Dr. Mario n finally back to falco. I'm trying to stay with him, but its hard with so many characters

Zander805

Smash Ace
I always played Fox, but then I got Falco and started playing him.

Then I started playing with Marth cuz I thought he was cheaper, and easier to win with.

Then I realized Falco is WAY cheaper than any other character, and so I started playing Falco again. The only problem with this is that no matter how cheap Falco is, he requires the most technical skill to play, so his cheapness is cancelled out by his difficulty.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I play Falco simply cause he is my favorite character he was my favorite back in 01 and he still continues to be my favorite even through all the "Whats the matter? playign Falco cause you suck at life?"

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
reason 1- his fsmash and downsmash are really strong, and fast, and much better than fox. i hardly every used vertical attacks

reason 2- at the time, he was not top tier, yet i still thought that he was absolutely amazing. then a few weeks late, he was top tier >_>

reason 3- short hop laser. i got camped by this, for the very first time, by a non falco player. me and my friends all agreed even though he was a jiggs player, his flaco was much more intimidating than his jigglypuff <though we found later, his flaco wasnt actually that good>

ive stopped playing falco now because the progression from "i can shorthop laser and pull off lots of pillar combos and thats about it" to "my falco can win tournaments" is a bit too fuzzy and unclear to me.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Flaco was teh ffith main I had moved on to. I went Jigglypuff > Marth > Captain Falcon > Shiek > Falco. After playing hm a few rounds I liked how he played, and then went to watch a few videos. Soldier of Fortune really sealed the deal for me. I love the little tricks, and that for the most part, is a lot harder to master than my previous mains. We also have a lot of flavor surrounding the characters me and my friends play. We often say Falco is mentally slow. Trust me, just listen to the way he says "mission complete." We die laughing everytime I get that victory stance.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
Why did I pick up falco?

Because I got tired of getting my fox's *** handed to him for the longest, that i said. "I'll beat falco with falco."

Now I beat Falco's with both fox and falco, but i still find that it is easier handeling another falco with falco.

He combo's himself so well, I'm thinking about maining both Fox and Falco atm, falco is my secondary as it stands right now, though he is just as potent ast my fox.

Whatever gets the job done right? lol

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
When I first started it was with mario, sheik, and fox but I was no good. Until one day I randomly picked falco and started beating ppl I would never beat. After I learned to wavedash and all those techniques, I am problably one of the best falco's here in Laredo (don't like this city, its 2 small :( ). Oh and starfox has been one of my favorite video games since I was a kid, especially the one for N64 and the last two for GC. FALCO RULES!!

Top Bottom