• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you like smash64 over melee and brawl?

jiggssmash64

Smash Rookie
I love smash64 because all of the characters are balanced while still being varied. Combos are much more relevant and their is a skill gap unlike in Brawl, which is a total joke (in my opinion).

NixxxoN

Smash Master
They should swap positions for brawl and ssb64. It would be nice to see brawl into the gaming section along with sections like pokemon and zelda. Oh wait... poor Pokemon and Zelda sections.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I might have to sig that^^

edit: BTW this might turn into a flame fest between Melee and 64. :I

Brawlers would get double teamed so we don't have to worry about them.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Brawl just sucks compared to both other games. But I like melee more than smash64. Except that smash64 has a good online multiplayer
Smash 64 wasn't meant to be an online multiplayer lol!

gameplay:
Smash 64 > Melee > crap > Brawl

visuals:
Melee > Smash 64 > Brawl

Brawl is last because while Smash 64 looks like a bunch of polygons, it doesn't **** up character's faces like Fox.

kit

Smash Apprentice
I love all smashes, even brawl. I get sick of brawl after awhile though and it annoys me. I love melee its basically 64 on crack. But in all honesty the original reason I prefer 64 is it was the most pleasant to look at while on drugs haha also the insane combo possibility compared to the other two just appeals to me as well I don't like giving up fun combos i enjoy doing them and having them done to me as well ... moar fun

edit: not to trash melee's combos, most really good ones take lots of practice/skill but even then they still don't look as cool as a lot of the 64 ones I enjoy

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I play all 3 smash games, I personally prefer melee but there isn't anyone by me who plays it outside of an hour away for tournaments

I prefer smash 64 for its balance, melee for getting me into the game/its gap, and brawl for the amount of people who play it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I don't think anyone will ever flame 64 like brawl even if they think melee is much better you simply can't flame 64 only thing I could think of is no C-stick and I prefer melee combos 64 ones are hardcore still but I've seen the wombo combo I can't go back now.

Number 28

Smash Cadet
I like Smash64 over Brawl because Brawl sucks. Slow, campy, noobfriendly, boring (Compared to other Smash game that is, I still like Brawl).

And I like Smash64 over Melee for the online multiplayer. Other than that I don't like Smash64 over Melee at all.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I like smash64 because it's so original and very well balanced and fun to play competitively or just for fun (also very easy to play online).

Balance (characters/overall gameplay) = Smash64 > Melee > Brawl.

It's much harder to make a tier list for Smash64 because every character has great potential. Melee is fairly balance, but... not as good as 64. There are more characters, and some of them just plain suck (like pichu, young link being worse than link, marth > roy, etc.). Brawl fails if you ever want to play cometitively and actually play with strategy. I don't think the Wii was made to have competitive games... the Wii console is more for fun/family games in my opinion.

If melee could be played online on the Wii, I would buy one just for that reason. That's why I have smash 64 on top - easy to play online. It's way too hard to find competitive players in your area. If melee could be played online, I'd have 64 and melee tied for top in my opinion.

yeah buddy

Smash Rookie
I love 64 cause it seems like such a simplistic game until you discover how deep it really is, and online kicks ***.

barwl is terrid. very very little skill gaps, over sized characters, pikachu sounds like a women, etc. though i heard barwl+ is good?

the only feeling better than 5-stocking some scrub on 64 is getting 5-stocked the very next game <3

The Star King

Smash Hero
Er... Isn't the voice actor for Pika the same for all three games? (a female voice actor btw)

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Smash 64 is fun because it has really good character balance, and zero to death combos are always amazing.

Melee is fun because it's very fast paced and intense. It's quite a blast to play and burn off some energy.

Brawl is fun because there's more competition among lesser players because of smaller skill gaps, and it's easy to learn multiple characters quickly.

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
Love 64, has the best multiplayer out of all three i think, even though brawl's multiplayer was intentional. I don't like melee because how runaway the glitches had become, and because i didn't like the character choice a whole lot either. I probably just don't like melee because i've never owned a gamecube. Bought my wii for brawl, great game, but Brawl+ is way more fun than brawl.
64>Brawl+>Brawl>Melee for me.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Love 64, has the best multiplayer out of all three i think, even though brawl's multiplayer was intentional. I don't like melee because how runaway the glitches had become, and because i didn't like the character choice a whole lot either. I probably just don't like melee because i've never owned a gamecube. Bought my wii for brawl, great game, but Brawl+ is way more fun than brawl.
64>Brawl+>Brawl>Melee for me.
Melee's glitches? what glitches?

Kilo16

Smash Rookie
In one word: simplicity is what gets me on 64. No charging smashes, no air dodge (although i do find myself wanting that every once in a while) no dumb items (i personaly play no items).

64 > brawl+ > brawl > melee

HATED melee

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
In one word: simplicity is what gets me on 64. No charging smashes, no air dodge (although i do find myself wanting that every once in a while) no dumb items (i personaly play no items).

64 > brawl+ > brawl > melee

HATED melee
You sound like the kind of person who has yet to experience competitive smash in any measure.

By the way, Brawl and Brawl+ have an airdodging system and the option to charge smashes.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i enjoy smash 64 for the balance
melee for the community/combos
and barlw for the popularity/tournaments

Battlecow

Play to Win
You sound like the kind of person who has yet to experience competitive smash in any measure.

By the way, Brawl and Brawl+ have an airdodging system and the option to charge smashes.
He doesn's sound n00b to me; obviously he knew that barwl had airdodging and charge smashes, what gave you the idea that he didn't? and WTF @ italics?

I'm surprised at how many people on here like melee over 64. Personally, I own and play all three games, and I like 64 the best for a number of reasons, including, but not limited to:

-simplicity. you can get to know and get good with/against/on every character and stage very easily, and you know every matchup and every nuance and trick of it.

-combos. Come on, can you honestly say melee combos are better? At even a very basic level of skill you can pull sick 0-to-deaths and edgeguards.

-the feel of it. I can't really explain it, but melee, even though I played it before smash 64, has never felt right to me; the hits just don't seem to have the right oomph behind them, and there's too much floatyspacing involved.

-online play. It's just roxxorz.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Why do you think it isn't a glitch?
Because it's a logical mechanic of the game.

Think about it. When the developers were making the game, they must have been thinking of a solution to a player airdodging into the ground. Obviously they wanted the player to collide with the ground, not just glitch into it. Their only decision was the type of landing animation that would occur upon doing it. Making a player lag for landing during an airdodge wouldn't make sense animation wise. At least by landing while doing an attack a character had to animate itself back to its standing position, so airdodging into the ground would either cause you to trip/pratfall onto the ground or just let you land normally. Then the developers just found it easier to do that and let players keep their horizontal momentum. It is not a glitch, just notice how it stayed exactly the same in brawl (except brawl doesn't let you control your momentum with an airdodge).

TANK64

Smash Lord
Why do you think it isn't a glitch?
because the game developers knew about it when the game was made.
They did it on purpose to smooth out the animation/momentum from dodging into the ground.
They made it like that; it wasn't a side effect. They just didn't anticipate its "abuse"
Hell, melee was being played competently for a while before
wavedashing/landing became what it is today

In other words: not a glitch (Unlike SWD :-P).

Edit: Fireblaster kind of beat me to it...

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
-the feel of it. I can't really explain it, but melee, even though I played it before smash 64, has never felt right to me; the hits just don't seem to have the right oomph behind them, and there's too much floatyspacing involve.
lolwut?

64 is way floatier than Melee.

And I understand why people would like 64 over Melee but putting BRAWL AND BRAWL+ ABOVE IT IS PISSING ME THE FVCK OFF. If you really think Melee is the worse in the series(despite being the fvcking most successful smash game in terms of competitive play and there wouldn't be a competitive community AT ALL for smash if it wasn't for Melee) under a horrible game and a fvcking mod of a horrible game then you never learned how to play the REAL Melee because you don't like difficulty. Point blank. BTW Barlw is more glitch orientated than Melee so STFU about that.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
There wouldn't be Melee if it weren't for 64. Your point?

Brawl+ is amazingly fun, and if you don't acknowledge it it's because you haven't played it. I also don't know what you mean by Point Blank. Past the floaty thing, you just attacked a perfectly viable opinion.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Brawl+ is okay, it's too easy imo, but some people like that.

You're right about me putting Point blank in there.

My point is you and me both would not be playing competitive smash if it wasn't for Melee's success.

edit:BTW the second part of my other post wasn't toward Battlecow.

Top Bottom