• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you like Pokémon?

Why do you like Pokémon?

• Total voters

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
People who think Pokémon is just for babies, judge people for playing it past age 10, and wouldn't even consider any other possibility are pretty much too close-minded to bother with, seeing as they clearly don't know much about Pokémon and care far too much about what other people do.

...I generally tend to ignore people's opinions in general, but the whole "Pokémon is for kids" stereotype is one of the sillier ones.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Competitive play, strangely enough, is actually what started to ruin the games for me. After I started playing competitively I felt like that Calm Chimchar I obtained at the beginning of the game was a piece of **** and needed to disappear. And with every Bidoof I took down with it, I felt even worse. And don't even get me started about the horrible feelings I'd get after calc'ing IVs.

I think it might be why I find 1st and 2nd gen games to be the easiest for me to play through. I don't really have to worry about that stuff.

It's just a mindset I can't find myself leaving, considering I don't even do anything with wi-fi.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Competitive play, strangely enough, is actually what started to ruin the games for me. After I started playing competitively I felt like that Calm Chimchar I obtained at the beginning of the game was a piece of **** and needed to disappear. And with every Bidoof I took down with it, I felt even worse. And don't even get me started about the horrible feelings I'd get after calc'ing IVs.

I think it might be why I find 1st and 2nd gen games to be the easiest for me to play through. I don't really have to worry about that stuff.

It's just a mindset I can't find myself leaving, considering I don't even do anything with wi-fi.
This. I kinda wish I never found out about competitive battling so I can actually enjoy the game. I can't play a game now without resisting the urge to soft reset for good legendaries ;-;

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I'll be twenty in less than two months, and I'm studying law..
Whether that's concrete evidence that Pokemon is for all ages, I'm not sure, I act like a kid half the time anyway. :dizzy:

Also: Hey guys

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
This. I kinda wish I never found out about competitive battling so I can actually enjoy the game. I can't play a game now without resisting the urge to soft reset for good legendaries ;-;
>Implying you use legendaries in playthroughs

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Or that he just likes having them and them actually be good (you know, considering you only get one). I'm the same way, and I don't ever use them in playthroughs.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Or that he just likes having them and them actually be good (you know, considering you only get one). I'm the same way, and I don't ever use them in playthroughs.
I don't lol. I really do just like having them. But what really prevents me from using them in battle anymore is the fact that I can't make up my mind on what EV set to use on them =/ So yeah, once I actually SR a good legendary, it just sits untouched in the PC =(

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I just try to catch the legendary. If they're poor natured, that's too bad. I've only cared if I got a good nature for two Legendaries in my Pokemon career - Mewtwo and Ho-Oh, and it wasn't that hard. Afterwards I gave and didn't care anymore.

You could check my PokeBox for Hardy Latias, Bashful Dialga, etc. XD

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Except in solo runs (where I opt to faint all of the legendaries), I always catch legends...I just leave them in the boxes.

I think the only time I've ever actually used legends for more than maybe five seconds aside from in Red -- and I was stupid when I played through that -- was in the case of the Regis (which, coincidentally, are now my favorite legends).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Except in solo runs (where I opt to faint all of the legendaries), I always catch legends...I just leave them in the boxes.
For the Dex data? Then there's no reason to stress over IVs and nature.

rhan

Smash Hero
Can't you not see how adorable this ****ing avatar is? Pokemon are amazing.

Also the games keep me addicted. I love the stories. Also the competitive scene is awesome though I suck at battles. I like to breed the best but I can' train them well.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The regis are ok but like mew and mew2
I was always a fan of the Regis -- the fact that you actually have to put in some effort to get to them instead of just walking into a cave, making them truly legendary, was always pretty cool to me. Lucario and the Mystery of Mew pretty much solidified that when Regirock popped out of the ground and made the most terrifying set of noises ever.

EDIT: Oh, might I add that "Regis" does not include Regigigas. Just Regice, Regirock, and Registeel.

For the Dex data? Then there's no reason to stress over IVs and nature.
Pretty much just to make my Pokémon that much more awesome. Shaymin Psychicing Arceus to death? Jigglypuff Flamethrowering Cresselia to death? Yes please.

The experience helps, too. It's not a huge amount, but every bit counts, and when you're 30+ levels above the regular wild Pokémon by the end of the game, experience is hard to come by.

But yeah, one of the reasons I don't do competitive Pokémon is the whole IV/nature thing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Firus, that clip was amazing.
The first half of that movie was really boring. When Regirock popped out of the ground and started making terrifying noises, it became awesome and continued down that path for the rest of the movie. I actually found it at FYE for $10 and I'm considering going back to buy it, it was pretty good.

Pokémon like the Regis, and most of the 3rd gen Pokémon, in fact, made me close to voting for the Pokémon themselves.

I bred a Ralts for Modest / Trace with Will-O-Wisp back in Ruby shortly before D/P came out. Took me like, an entire night, I was bored out of my mind, and I've never wanted to breed for stuff like that since.

EV training, I'm willing to do. But only post-story. Trying to EV train an Elite Four team is too much of a pain in the butt. (Not that you really NEED an Elite Four team to be EV trained, it'd be pretty much just for fun and so you can use the team past the Elite Four.)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hardly anybody EV trains a team for a playthrough unless they're that into it. EV training and serious breeding occurs post-Elite Four, because that's when it's the most manageable.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I refuse to call Regice "Regi ice."

THERE'S ONLY ONE GORRAM "I".

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm pretty sure the official pronunciation is "Regice".

Also, a pronunciation for our Robot goat ballerina.

Also, eff the anime. It's Ar-seus, not Arc-ee-us.

Go play PBR and tell me ****ing otherwise.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I actually like the fact that I can play through a game and not care about SR'ing for a good legendary with awesome IV/EV's due to the fact of competitive battling via PO/Shoddy.

You can enjoy your game the good ol' fashion way, and then if you want some intense strategic battling, hop on Shoddy/PO.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
iirc, it's something along the lines of "We can't stop here. This is Zubat country."

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'm betting that Koffing/Zubat thing (which is somehow Psychic/Flying) will be the new trollbat for the region. It just fits the bill.

Top Bottom