• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people say Lucario can be KO'd so easily?

Siddhartha Gautama

Smash Cadet
Lucario takes forever to KO. Like yesterday, I three stocked someone with 222%, and they still didn't knock me out. I've watched people taunting when they think they KO'd me while I'm in the air. But I usually just fall back to the stage, charging up another Aura Sphere on the way down. I can only imagine how they feel, but it's great. Lucario doesn't die.

Milln

Smash Champion
They're dumb and ignorant, is why. I've decided that you cannot understand Lucario unless you main or at least secondary him.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Idk. Edge-hogging is a bit effective vs dogman so I suppose people would say that. I mean, same reason you'd expect some people to say that Olimar is easy to KO.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
If its one thing Im good at, is staying alive.
Which makes my lucario very strong. People underestimate that.
-t2

Nodrak

Smash Ace
The fact that you 3 stocked him means he either isn't that great to begin with, doesn't know his character's kill moves, or was just not playing well that day (an off-day). Anyway it really depends who your against: if you're fighting pit or sonic yeah, you'll live a lot longer. But other characters like Lucas, or a good ike/ganon will kill you at 50-70%. It's also stage dependent. FD, Luigi's Mansion, and other large stages with high ceilings help preserve Lucario, since he's floaty and dies vertically easier then horizontally. Try the same match on Corneria or another smaller map, see how well that goes. People also think Lucario easy to gimp, meaning it doesn't matter what % you are, you just cant get back on the stage. Also characters with a good spike (no marth, sorry) can turn a game around in an instant.

Honestly, there are times I live to over 200%, but that's usually when I'm on a large stage (or a small one but with a lot of walls) and when my opponent has only a few KO attacks and they're predictable *coughpitcough*.

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
I think many assume Lucario to be an easy to KO character due to his aura and extreme speed. Extreme Speed deals no damage, so players can liberally edgehog without worry of attack in most situations; however, extreme speed's ability to be curved means that you can recover from positions under the stage that most characters would be prevented from escaping. The ability to wallcling also saves Lucario the need to go for the ledge on levels such as Yoshi's Island (Brawl) which most non-Lucario players take for granted.

Another misnomer is that Lucario is incapable of combat until higher damage percentages. Due to this many don't feel endangered by KO moves until Lucario is around 100%, around which point it becomes much easier to KO characters. Opponents are likely to underestimate Lucario at lower percentages due to their main knowledges of the character being simply Dair, the aura buff, AS, DT, and Extreme speed -- thus they are likely to not pay as much attention earlier on in Lucario's stock and will only remember the 'critical' point when they are attempting to KO the high damage Lucario they have their mind set on.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I think many assume Lucario to be an easy to KO character due to his aura and extreme speed. Extreme Speed deals no damage, so players can liberally edgehog without worry of attack in most situations; however, extreme speed's ability to be curved means that you can recover from positions under the stage that most characters would be prevented from escaping. The ability to wallcling also saves Lucario the need to go for the ledge on levels such as Yoshi's Island (Brawl) which most non-Lucario players take for granted.

Another misnomer is that Lucario is incapable of combat until higher damage percentages. Due to this many don't feel endangered by KO moves until Lucario is around 100%, around which point it becomes much easier to KO characters. Opponents are likely to underestimate Lucario at lower percentages due to their main knowledges of the character being simply Dair, the aura buff, AS, DT, and Extreme speed -- thus they are likely to not pay as much attention earlier on in Lucario's stock and will only remember the 'critical' point when they are attempting to KO the high damage Lucario they have their mind set on.
And that judgment of Lucario is what gets them killed.
"He can't kill if he's under 100%"
Lies.
He can kill at any %, its just at 100%+ he's stronger.
Extremespeed can't kill, Yes. But It can be used for more options then attacking. Like saving yourself from a spike, grabbing a ledge (duh), clinging to a wall, just simply getting from one side of the stage to another... the list goes on.

He's not useless at lower then 100%, just weaker, and still just as awesome.
-t2

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
They're dumb and ignorant, is why. I've decided that you cannot understand Lucario unless you main or at least secondary him.
QFT. I agree with you on this.

I find this to be true as well. People who don't use Lucario do not understand that Lucario is more than aura and d-air.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is too complex and not worth understanding for those who don't use him. Therefore, we get underestimated. When I asked my friend who is main once, he jokingly said, "Everyone but Lucario" I then preceded to 6 stock him. (He likes longer fights 5~8 stocks)

dr00

Smash Apprentice
my friend's favorite phrase is "are you serious? are, are you serious lucario?" after smashing me off the stage, only to see me float back a second later, lol. :D

he's definitely not one of the ones who underestimates that, but i don't understand how anyone who's ever really played against or as lucario would ever think he KOs easily.

stylux7

Smash Rookie
He's not extremely hard to KO. But he isnt easy at all either. On a scale from 1-10 prolly a 7. Being a little generous

marcus0103

Smash Apprentice
I think people underestimate Lucario (along with some others) because of his recovery. His recovery is very flexible if you can get in the right position.

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
People assume Lucario is easily Ko'ed because of three major misconceptions:

1. Extreme Speed does zero damage. This leads many people unfarmilliar with it to think that the move is easily gimped. However, curving it and wall clinging beg to differ.

2. As a floaty character. Lucario is (theoretically) easy to kill vertically. While I can't refute this, there are still many other characters that are easier to kill vertically.

3. As several people have already stated, opponents tend to under estimate a low-% Lucario's ability to kill. Instead, they assume that he has to be at a KO'able percent in order to finish his opponents.

Off topic, this is my first real post =D. I'm a diehard Lucario main, and will most likely be frequenting this forum.

- Red

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is soo easy to KO....

Step One: Throw Lucario off the edge
Step Two: Take controler from opponent
Step Three: Laugh
Step Four: Sit next to me when we both arrive in hell ^_^;;

M.K

Level 55
Don't go into the Brawl Tier Discussion thread and even talk about your main, because the people there believe that they know almost everything and more about your favorite character, even though they play Wolf/Snake/Meta-Knight.
Don't even mention Lucario, the people were so DEAD wrong that it made me sad ;_;

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
Don't go into the Brawl Tier Discussion thread and even talk about your main, because the people there believe that they know almost everything and more about your favorite character, even though they play Wolf/Snake/Meta-Knight.
Don't even mention Lucario, the people were so DEAD wrong that it made me sad ;_;
Is this related somehow?

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman
That works great online. :ohwell:
How to KO Lucario easily in Online games.

Step One: Let him attack
Step Two: Let Wii Lag do its magic...

I honestly would never take Online matches seriously ... WAY too much risk of lag... I can't even get locals in a good online game.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

I honestly would never take Online matches seriously ... WAY too much risk of lag... I can't even get locals in a good online game.
Eh, I am a SWF FF slave, and my internet seems to be at a C- as trying to compare it so a lag-free grading system.

dr00

Smash Apprentice

lmfao. so true.

i still play online a lot, but i never take it seriously for that reason alone.

i always love trying to down smash only to be knocked off the stage 2s later and have my character do a dair instead of the recovery i'm telling him to do now that he's off the stage <_<

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
Thats why I ignore that thread: it is and never will be going anywhere and is simply some random smashers trying to state they know more about your character than you when I am sure they don't know the properties of even Lucario's tilts.

Scratch that, I am sure they don't.

The only reason that topic even exists is to keep the tier clutter out of the rest of Tactical/General.

SmashAura4

Smash Apprentice
It's quite dangerous to underestimate Lucario. This goes for many other characters as well, like Ike and Dedede. Also if you airdodge, it drastically reduces your chances of getting ko'd. I learned that trick from the lvl 9 CPU's, which have gotten much more challenging. Lucario's a bit spacey in the air, but he's not that easy to kill.

Browny

Smash Hater
DI > airdodge

i was sure airdodging was proven to have no effect on whether you are KO'd or not. DI however will often be a 30% difference between life and death

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
the problem is that Lucario is discriminated simply because he is Lucario, and people either a) think he's mewtwo 2.0 or b) play him for five seconds in training before coming to a ridiculous and quick conclusion without even reading about him. In the early days of smash people were already calling him low tier due to his damage (they had no idea of aura boost) specials (did they KNOW force palm CG's and extremespeed can wallcling? nope) and slow smash attacks ("forgetting" the godlike trait of both lingering and disjointed hitboxes).
However this can turn around for us: people immediately assume he's crap and you beat their ***** while they're still thinking "how the HELL did he do that??". Their own discrimination will turn back on themselves! *maniacal laugh only real villains can do for more than five seconds before looking ridiculous*

tedward2000

Smash Champion
People are starting to get past the "Rolfmao, you play Luloseieo" and realizing "Wow, Lucario is a whole lot better then I expected." (grammar change and everything)
He's currently 3rd for tourny points for summer 2008.
3rd!
Lucario sucks? I think not.
-t2

Nurotasama

Smash Journeyman
Actually he is 8th since a major Lucario player hasn't used him in in a tourny for the past 2 weeks apparently. Summer rankings aren't really useful as of now also since there is too small of a sample size to really compare characters.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Ah, still 8th isn't to bad.
more room for improvement.
And the summer list is still changing because its still summer. So anything can happen.
-t2

Top Bottom