• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Goodness! People are acting like the 3ds is the destroyer of this game!

1. The 3ds version won't "hold back" the wii u release. They're two different games. Sakurai is not going to limit the wii u version based on 3ds issues. He already wants a smaller roster and there's no evidence he'd go way further if it was just wii u.

2. The wii u has had bad sales. Real bad. Over 30 million 3ds units have been sold while the wii u is less than 5 million, before xbone and ps4 came out. No reason not to use both viable consoles. Itd be foolish to drop 3ds smash with 30+ million units.

3. Sakurais not going to drop the 3ds version just because some forum posters are crying about how the wii u version won't be as great because he may or may not be limited due to 3ds. It's his game and the 3ds is plenty strong for his game. If you want to complain, fine. But it won't do anything. There's nothing to make sakurai scrap it at this point.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I admit as soon as I heard the roster would not be different between the two versions I had fears that this would mean the roster could mean we were getting more cuts then the Melee to Brawl one (More then 5 that is). But recently I've come to realize that maybe I and others were underestimating the 3DS' capabilities. Especially with the news of no Story mode like the SSE that could take alot of space. And we could very well still see maybe about 45 characters both on the 3DS and Wii U. With that number you could have little to not cuts while still having the Newcomers we know we have (We already have a pool of characters within the range of 38 (Not including transformations, Pokemon switching). That's Brawl's roster plus the three newcomers that are confirmed. Give or take that maybe a few Brawl characters won't return like Toon Link and Lucario you then have 36. Meaning if the roster is close to 45 you have room for about 7-10 more newcomers that would be just enough to spice up the roster.

Though regarding the people mentioing the Wii U having poor sales. It should be noted the 3DS was in the exact same situation at one point where people thought it was a console that just failed to get to consumers. But once it had a price cut plus some heavy hitters came along it sold like hotcakes. The WIi U still has some neat titles coming up by the end of the year. (Even the people mistaking the Wii U for a Wii attachment is similar in people mistaking the 3DS as just another DS model) Plus you have a new Mario Kart, and of course the next Smash Bros. the following year. We also shouldn't underestimate the casual market with Wii Fit U also coming out by the holidays this year.

On Smash though, I plan on getting both unless something comes up that makes me not want the 3DS one so much. I'll be getting the Wii U one no matter what though.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Wii u is definitely not in the 3ds's shoes when it was released. 3ds had no competition until Vita and only started selling when good games got released.

Wii u on the other hand, has to play against a $400 PS4 and a decent xbone. It simply has too much competition to pull a 3ds kind of sales figure. It'll sell better for sure, but it'll be far from amazing. Especially if there's no price cut.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I'd rather want it on console.
Yeah, I am surprised that someone said they want the Wii U version more, and didn't bash on the 3DS version. Anyways, is it being on a console your only reason?

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Yeah, I am surprised that someone said they want the Wii U version more, and didn't bash on the 3DS version. Anyways, is it being on a console your only reason?
Well no, of course that's not my reason. Who would buy a game over a handheld game just because it's on a home console? Well, lemme try to explain as best I can:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 3DS version will be bad but...I personally dig the graphics and I don't want to buy two games. (Unless maybe there's that "character customization" Sakurai has talked about, then I will judge if it's worth the money, for me). 3DS would be great for on-the-go or maybe when I go to college though. I don't really trust the online will be as great as the Wii U versions, though, but we'll have to try it for ourselves to know that.

Just right now I am looking forward to the Wii U version.

Foxxie

Smash Rookie
I bought a 3DS recently in preparation for going to college so I could still play videogames and not have to worry about taking a console along. I hadn't even considered the 3DS at all until Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Pokémon X and Y came along whereas the WiiU hasn't tempted me with a single game(barring the VC release of Earthbound). This will be the only version of the game I'll be able to get my hands on so I appreciate it and I think that's the same story for a lot of gamers right now. The graphics look fine, and if Brawl taught the team anything, it's how to compress and get rid of completely uneccessary space-hogging features. Face it, the Masterpieces were useless, the stage creation wasn't too great, and the SSE was nice but I could have done without it.

Both games will have the same roster, both will let you beat up your friends and popular Nintendo mascots, and both will look great. Being able to take it with me to college and on the go is just icing on the cake.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
No.....................I'm pretty sure he wanted it on Wii U too but I don't really care for the Wii U version since I'm getting the 3DS version anyway and plus yeah without the octagon shape like it had for Gamecube Joystick I had some problems but later in the year I got used to it and now I have no problems playing any game with it

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Well no, of course that's not my reason. Who would buy a game over a handheld game just because it's on a home console? Well, lemme try to explain as best I can:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 3DS version will be bad but...I personally dig the graphics and I don't want to buy two games. (Unless maybe there's that "character customization" Sakurai has talked about, then I will judge if it's worth the money, for me). 3DS would be great for on-the-go or maybe when I go to college though. I don't really trust the online will be as great as the Wii U versions, though, but we'll have to try it for ourselves to know that.

Just right now I am looking forward to the Wii U version.
I might get the Wii U version, but I won't play it much if it doesn't support the GCC (also gotta get a new GCC). But, since I will definitely get the 3DS version, I might use a classic controller, since the buttons are somewhat similar.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I might get the Wii U version, but I won't play it much if it doesn't support the GCC (also gotta get a new GCC). But, since I will definitely get the 3DS version, I might use a classic controller, since the buttons are somewhat similar.
Well, it's a safe bet it won't support GCC, and if so I suggest Wii Classic Controller Pro because it's equal to the GCC and I am sure that it will be supported for Smash 4 because after all, Wiimote will be supported for Smash 4 and most likely the nunchuk. You plug the WCCP into the Wiimote so it makes sense that it would.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Goodness! People are acting like the 3ds is the destroyer of this game!

1. The 3ds version won't "hold back" the wii u release. They're two different games. Sakurai is not going to limit the wii u version based on 3ds issues. He already wants a smaller roster and there's no evidence he'd go way further if it was just wii u.

2. The wii u has had bad sales. Real bad. Over 30 million 3ds units have been sold while the wii u is less than 5 million, before xbone and ps4 came out. No reason not to use both viable consoles. Itd be foolish to drop 3ds smash with 30+ million units.

3. Sakurais not going to drop the 3ds version just because some forum posters are crying about how the wii u version won't be as great because he may or may not be limited due to 3ds. It's his game and the 3ds is plenty strong for his game. If you want to complain, fine. But it won't do anything. There's nothing to make sakurai scrap it at this point.
Finally! someone who feels the same way as me!

golcarjack

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0130-2499-6727
As long as I can take a decent smash game on the go to keep me amused then I think I will buy it.

Luckdragon

Smash Rookie
It sounds like some people are against Smash 3D only because they think it will soil the Smash Bros. family name. XD

I personally think the 3DS experience will be awesome. I'm expecting it to be way different than the console experience, but that's what I'm looking forward to! After three generations of Smash, they're putting a new spin on it. And the best part is, it's not at the expense of the traditional Smash- we are still getting a new gen console version. I have to add, too, that I love the Smash 3D art style. I'd be hard pressed if I had to choose between the Smash 3D and HD graphics, but I think they will both be incredible.

The roster is the only specific thing Sakurai has said he wants to keep the same, right? I agree with nat pagle- there's no reason to expect Smash 3D to "hold back" Smash U at this point. We already know they have different graphics and stages and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have different adventure modes, etc. as well. The roster may or may not be different than if there was only the U version, we simply don't have enough solid information on Sakurai's train of thought yet.

The bottom line is that we need more information to have a good conversation about this. Until then, I hope for the best!

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
The roster is the only specific thing Sakurai has said he wants to keep the same, right? I agree with nat pagle- there's no reason to expect Smash 3D to "hold back" Smash U at this point. We already know they have different graphics and stages and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have different adventure modes, etc. as well. The roster may or may not be different than if there was only the U version, we simply don't have enough solid information on Sakurai's train of thought yet.

The bottom line is that we need more information to have a good conversation about this. Until then, I hope for the best!

We can't make any judgments on what exactly will be different between the two games with our limited knowledge.

At the moment, I can't think of anything Sakurai said saying that the Wii U version was going to hold something back due to the 3DS's existence. No reason it won't have a larger 1p mode or options.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
We can't make any judgments on what exactly will be different between the two games with our limited knowledge.

At the moment, I can't think of anything Sakurai said saying that the Wii U version was going to hold something back due to the 3DS's existence. No reason it won't have a larger 1p mode or options.
A lot of people seem to forget the power of a 3ds. (My friend always brought up other fighters like street fighter 3d's roster and graphics but I am not sure how well that argument holds water.) Also holding each other back could happen to either version if they were forced to release both at the same time (Since the Wii U version seems more finished) but it seems they are okay with slightly separated release dates.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
About the size of the 3DS cartridge, can't Nintendo make a bigger 3DS cartridge, maybe 10GB cartridge.
I am not sure but would they even need that size without a badly compressed mess of SSE and music galore?

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
A lot of people seem to forget the power of a 3ds. (My friend always brought up other fighters like street fighter 3d's roster and graphics but I am not sure how well that argument holds water.) Also holding each other back could happen to either version if they were forced to release both at the same time (Since the Wii U version seems more finished) but it seems they are okay with slightly separated release dates.
I just hope that the release dates aren't too far (in the same month is my hope, but probably too much to hope for), because I want to really help out with techniques like people do on Youtube. Also, I really don't want anyone to spoil anything for me that is on the Wii U (characters mainly), so I can discover everything on my own. What I fear is that someone with the Wii U version might go in the 3DS discussions and spoil things for us.
I am not sure but would they even need that size without a badly compressed mess of SSE and music galore?
Since you are new here, I should tell you to try not to double post. Just edit your last one.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Since you are new here, I should tell you to try not to double post. Just edit your last one.
Eh- I know not to double post but I didn't realize I had replied twice to two different people until I tried to figure out what you were talking about. Also I thought the release dates were mentioned to possibly be 1 or 2 months apart (Or less is what they are aiming for.)

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Eh- I know not to double post but I didn't realize I had replied twice to two different people until I tried to figure out what you were talking about. Also I thought the release dates were mentioned to possibly be 1 or 2 months apart (Or less is what they are aiming for.)
Oh, I guess two months would be okay. Was this from an interview?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Oh, I guess two months would be okay. Was this from an interview?
I cant remember where it was probably just a rumor so I wouldn't count on it. (The 3ds version seems to be less finished though.)

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
good SSE was a waste to me anyway :/ but I really wish this game came out faster D: but all I can do is wait I have an urge to play it really badly This and Pokemon Y. I might do an unboxing+Gameplay for SSB4 on my channel when it's out for the 3DS.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
good SSE was a waste to me anyway :/ but I really wish this game came out faster D: but all I can do is wait I have an urge to play it really badly This and Pokemon Y. I might do an unboxing+Gameplay for SSB4 on my channel when it's out for the 3DS.
I was gonna do the same thing. I just wish I could change my name without having to spend money. I need something easier to pronounce than BaPr. I want to making a new account, but then I would lose all the stuff that I did with this one. If I get a different name, I will definitely do gameplay videos on Smash and Pokemon X. It would be cool to video tape all my online battles and post it too. The only videos I would do would be online battles in Pokemon X and Smash, and speed runs on Sonic Lost Worlds.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I was gonna do the same thing. I just wish I could change my name without having to spend money. I need something easier to pronounce than BaPr. I want to making a new account, but then I would lose all the stuff that I did with this one. If I get a different name, I will definitely do gameplay videos on Smash and Pokemon X. It would be cool to video tape all my online battles and post it too. The only videos I would do would be online battles in Pokemon X and Smash, and speed runs on Sonic Lost Worlds.
I'd be doing the same thing too :D I can tell I'm gonna get my but handed to me on Smash Bros. ohhh how humiliating xD But I'm in my spare time I'm just gonna think of characters Sakurai might add and might cut.......But I want Ice Climber and Mr.Game and Watch and Ganondorf announced then I'll be happy! I don't know about Wolf Sakurai might cut him ): but in the meantime just gonna be sitting here :3 :link2: HYA!

SonicMario

Smash Master
Roster size won't be much larger than Brawl, if not smaller. Data isn't the issue for the roster, it's balancing.
I doubt it will be smaller. But the best case scenario is probably 45 characters. With a majority of the Brawl characters back, plus a decent amount of newcomers.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I doubt it will be smaller. But the best case scenario is probably 45 characters. With a majority of the Brawl characters back, plus a decent amount of newcomers.
Seems like a good amount, not too small, not too big, and gives them enough time to balance them out, or try to do it.

Luckdragon

Smash Rookie
I need something easier to pronounce than BaPr.
Barium Praseodymium, right? :)

As far as roster size goes, I'd almost prefer some hard cuts to most of the Brawl characters in favor of more new ones in 4, even chars that I love to play as. I'd rather just go back and play Brawl than have Sakurai feel like he has to include a bunch of them instead of having more newcomers. Maybe have the basic roster be the chars that were in both Melee and Brawl (~20) plus 3 or 4 Brawl newcomers (Wario, Pit, Olimar, maybe Lucas), that would still give 11 or 12 newcomers for Smash 4. We'd have plenty of new characters to play as and Sakurai wouldn't feel like he's overstuffing the roster and would be able to avoid some balancing issues.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I think I'll be playing it on the first day it comes out for idk.........24 hours xD

Groose

Smash Champion
I bought a 3DS recently in preparation for going to college so I could still play videogames and not have to worry about taking a console along. I hadn't even considered the 3DS at all until Fire Emblem: Awakening, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and Pokémon X and Y came along whereas the WiiU hasn't tempted me with a single game(barring the VC release of Earthbound). This will be the only version of the game I'll be able to get my hands on so I appreciate it and I think that's the same story for a lot of gamers right now. The graphics look fine, and if Brawl taught the team anything, it's how to compress and get rid of completely uneccessary space-hogging features. Face it, the Masterpieces were useless, the stage creation wasn't too great, and the SSE was nice but I could have done without it.

Both games will have the same roster, both will let you beat up your friends and popular Nintendo mascots, and both will look great. Being able to take it with me to college and on the go is just icing on the cake.

This pretty much sums up my situation, as well. I want the console version and will hopefully get it somewhere down the line, but launch may not be possible.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
I like both the 3DS version and the Wii U version. I just think that the Wii U version will be kind of better because the Wii U disc can hold up to about 25 GB per disc layer, meaning more space to put more music, stages, characters, etc. I also think 3DS version will be good, but a 3DS cartridge can only hold 8GB of memory, so there will be some limitations on the 3DS version. Overall, I think both versions will be good and unique in their own ways.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah right now it's not possible for me to get the Wii U version either as I can't afford the system yet. I do have a 3DS XL so I'm happy that I can still enjoy Smash Bros on the 3DS anyway and enjoy all the new characters and 3DS exclusive stages and features etc. Besides it's Smash Bros on the go. A dream come true for someone like me who is away from home for a very long while every weekday. :D

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Yeah right now it's not possible for me to get the Wii U version either as I can't afford the system yet. I do have a 3DS XL so I'm happy that I can still enjoy Smash Bros on the 3DS anyway and enjoy all the new characters and 3DS exclusive stages and features etc. Besides it's Smash Bros on the go. A dream come true for someone like me who is away from home for a very long while every weekday. :D

It's tough to beat flagship games being just $20 used on Amazon as opposed to flagship Wii U games being upwards of $35 easy. And new games are only $40 or $35 as opposed to the full $60.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's tough to beat flagship games being just $20 used on Amazon as opposed to flagship Wii U games being upwards of $35 easy. And new games are only $40 or $35 as opposed to the full $60.

I said that I currently can't afford the Wii U console itself, not the game. Though yeah, 3DS games are cheaper than Wii U games of course.

Top Bottom