• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people constantly say Yoshi sucks?

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
You know what i love, i love how ppl who dont like Yoshi come on to a Yoshi discussion page to dis the character this page is for ppl who LIKE Yoshi and want to talk to other ppl who LIKE Yoshi and want to get better with him by discussing strategies with other Yoshi players!

Ah well now that that little rant is aside on to my why i think ppl hate Yoshi so much topic. I think ppl hate Yoshi cause hes a character that takes alot of skill and practice to master. Hes not some easy *** character to pick up and kill with you have to take time to get good with him! And unless your a Yoshi fan you dont want to waste the time, if you master his ways you will be rewarded! I agree that player skill has to do with smash. I dont believe in tiers and i think alot of the Yoshi player community feel the same our character is dissed and hated and for what?! When i see someone whos good with Marth or G&W or Fox i say hey nice who ever skills i dont critisize them for who they use. However when i go to tourneys and pick Yoshi i hear ppl laugh and yell out "YOSHI SUCKS" in an immature display of stupidity. That is until i own theyre face with Yoshi and they shake my hand and say wow. And isnt that the reaction anyone should get when theyre good with a character. Yoshi is just as good as any other character in smash bros. ive used him since the original. I feel his Brawl incarnation is the best Yoshi so far of the three! So i say let the ppl hate him as long as we own with him why get made get even lol! Besides if your a true Yoshi fan you will defend Yoshi to the end! All i know is im dedicated infact i have a tatoo to sport my Yoshi prowess and fandom on my fore arm its a a pist Yoshi face with green spotted crossbones behind it lol its a hit at tournies ill post a pick if ppl wanna see it lol!

Nocher

Smash Rookie
exactly my point.
also, i kinda like the whole, wow, you did good with yoshi recognition that i get if i win, also, i dont ashame the char if i lose, either way, i win for reputation.
ever since i started to main yoshi the feedback i get on matches has always been good,
WHEN NOONE EXPECTS YOU TO DO WELL, CARELESSNESS FOLLOWS CLOSE BEHIND and i like it that way

also, with the tatoo, make it ur avatar or something

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
Ya dosent that make you feel good cause people are all like "**** YOUR GOOD WITH YOSHI" and you think ooooooohhhh riiiiggghhtttt!!! LOL! I should make it my avatar ill try that actually thanx fer the suggestion Nocher!

D

Deleted member

Joeshi i do like that feeling. Except in melee i usually lost unless it was against a captain falcon (my favorite melee matchup). But as a side note, yoshi isnt very good. So what? Work around his weaknesses, abuse what he can. He is definately viable and can hold his own with most characters, u just need to be determined to overcome obstacles that come in your path. Yoshi main 4 life :yoshi:

On second thought, yoshi sucks. =P

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
Ah well ppl say what they want about him but hes been my fav for ever! So i stick to him cause you never know when you will get matched up against someone who you think is gonna beast you but then it turns out youve mastered Yoshi well enough to beat all!

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
because Yoshi is so gay
1: that's coming from some gaylord
2: Being peace loving, and sticking your **** up a guy's *** ain't the same thing, ******
3: Insulting the reason for Mario and Luigi being ALIVE makes you fail as a Nintendo fan.

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE ADMINS?! WHY AREN'T THEY NOT DEALING WITH THIS ****!? I AM FED UP WITH THIS TROLLING!

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, and he's one of the faster characters. People are always saying how fast TL is but according to the speed chart yoshi's faster at running and as far as getting high fast he's the champ, sure kirby, mk, jiggs, and D3 have 5 jumps but they're pathetic and frankly slow.

But yeah, I love getting the "Nice yoshi man!" *place high five here or whatever "kids" do in your area* when you win, or even if you lose to a common character. and I love the way the opponent always thinks to himself "ha, a yoshi I got this in the bag" when you pick him giving you the underestimated advantage.

ojannen

Smash Rookie
For Meta

For throws, you list combos that work under 60%. Yoshi is great when his opponent is under 60%. All of his tilts chain into aerials and aerials chain into each other. If he had smashes that killed at 80%, he would be set. Once the opponent gets past 60%, none of your listed combos work, unless your opponent is an idiot. DI and air dodges are in the game.

I apologize for the punish on a grab whiff comment. It is obvious to me now that no characters in the game have any way to punish yoshi for a missed grab. There are no forward smashes with decent range and no projetiles or launching moves that start combos in the entire game. In addition to this, there is no way to ground dodge into a throw in brawl. It is unfortunate that these strategies were removed in the change from melee to brawl.

Yoshi has 3 moves that kill under 150%. Forward smash, up smash, up air. The fair could also be counted here but is very situational. The rest of his moves do not kill until around 175%. This is a big problem.

Egg lay does not chain into an egg toss because DI and air dodges are in the game. Not only do you have to guess which way the DI goes, but you have to count on them not airdodging into a fast fall. If they do that, they can get to the ground for an attack before your egg animation ends. That being said, egg lay into egg toss works great against the computer.

For Gindler
What is a shield stab? It is now possible to damage through yoshi's shield with some attacks. He is no longer invulnerable to nonthrows in a shield. Are we talking about two different things?

Is Joeshi real? I can't tell if he is trying to insult me or if that is how he really thinks.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
My only complaint about yoshi si the lack of kills moves. The extreme lack. A down smash at 150+ cant kill unless i guess they jump on u or something. other than that. NO it wont kill crap. thats my only beef with this new yoshi. if anyone can help me on this. i would greatly appreciate it.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Fsmash, Usmash, Nair, Uair, Fair, Down B.

Those are plenty and fairly easy to land. Nair is just awesome for edgeguarding.

If you want to talk about lack of killing moves, go take a look at Sonic, Samus, Sheik, and Peach.

Yoshi's an amazing character; I'm glad I stumbled upon him and started experimenting. Otherwise, I would have never touched him due to others' skewed perceptions, which mainly came from Yoshi's massive underrepresentation.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i'm fully aware that DI and air dodges are in the game, and yoshi can KO at around 100% (depending on which character you're playing against, how high in the air he is or near the edges of the screen). fair (his meteor) can KO as low as 60%, if you've taken the time to learn how to sweetspot it, and this is easy to do on characters with bigger character models. if we're defining a combo as any string of moves a character can't DI/air dodge, then there are very few real combos in the game, and most of the ones that are are all character specific, i.e. yoshi's infinite chain grab on wario (read the yoshi guide). even if i gave you the benefit of the doubt and said yoshi is junk after 60% (which nearly everyone here who has a semi-understanding of yoshi will disagree with, and nearly every character can DI out another's combos at high percents, not just yoshi's), building up damage with yoshi is not as hard with some other characters. at this percentage, depending on who you're playing there are some things you can do to get you over the ko hump. you can egg roll (which is pretty effective against certain foes), egg toss,or run in with bair, what i'm saying is the possibilities of racking up damage are pretty endless with yoshi, he's not one dimensional at all.

as far as lack of KO moves, look at meta knight (one of my other favs). he's consistently being discussed as top tier, and he has the worst KO potential in the game, and on top of that, it takes him forever to rack up enough damage before he can even think about KO'ing people, yoshi has plenty of KO moves that will usually start KO'ing at 90%, i'm not sure if someone's posted KO %'s for certain moves (that's an idea for a thread), but his ko moves are: fair, nair, uair, fsmash, usmash/utilt. his down smash will KO too if you're fighting along the edge of the screen, as it is also a knockback (still one of the better knockbacks in the game) and sends the opponent completely horizontal from you, even if they jump over the other side of you. so that's about 6 or 7 KO moves, and i won't bother mentioning the headbutt KO's at higher percents on the lighter characters. and the truth of the matter is there are very few other characters who are gonna start ko'ing before 100%, so yoshi wouldn't be alone in this even if it were the case.

i'm not gonna argue with you on egg lay, it's not my fault you're horrible with eggs and having me explain how great of a tool eggs are with someone who's good with em won't make you a better egg tosser. the lag on egg tosses isn't so bad either, and as far as guessing, that's a part of every projectile in the game.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
i'm fully aware that DI and air dodges are in the game, and yoshi can KO at around 100% (depending on which character you're playing against, how high in the air he is or near the edges of the screen). fair (his meteor) can KO as low as 60%, if you've taken the time to learn how to sweetspot it, and this is easy to do on characters with bigger character models. if we're defining a combo as any string of moves a character can't DI/air dodge, then there are very few real combos in the game, and most of the ones that are are all character specific, i.e. yoshi's infinite chain grab on wario (read the yoshi guide). even if i gave you the benefit of the doubt and said yoshi is junk after 60% (which nearly everyone here who has a semi-understanding of yoshi will disagree with, and nearly every character can DI out another's combos at high percents, not just yoshi's), building up damage with yoshi is not as hard with some other characters. at this percentage, depending on who you're playing there are some things you can do to get you over the ko hump. you can egg roll (which is pretty effective against certain foes), egg toss,or run in with bair, what i'm saying is the possibilities of racking up damage are pretty endless with yoshi, he's not one dimensional at all.

as far as lack of KO moves, look at meta knight (one of my other favs). he's consistently being discussed as top tier, and he has the worst KO potential in the game, and on top of that, it takes him forever to rack up enough damage before he can even think about KO'ing people, yoshi has plenty of KO moves that will usually start KO'ing at 90%, i'm not sure if someone's posted KO %'s for certain moves (that's an idea for a thread), but his ko moves are: fair, nair, uair, fsmash, usmash/utilt. his down smash will KO too if you're fighting along the edge of the screen, as it is also a knockback (still one of the better knockbacks in the game) and sends the opponent completely horizontal from you, even if they jump over the other side of you. so that's about 6 or 7 KO moves, and i won't bother mentioning the headbutt KO's at higher percents on the lighter characters. and the truth of the matter is there are very few other characters who are gonna start ko'ing before 100%, so yoshi wouldn't be alone in this even if it were the case.

i'm not gonna argue with you on egg lay, it's not my fault you're horrible with eggs and having me explain how great of a tool eggs are with someone who's good with em won't make you a better egg tosser. the lag on egg tosses isn't so bad either, and as far as guessing, that's a part of every projectile in the game.

Metaknight has not the worst KO potential, at all. Is it lower than the other top tier characters? Yes. But he has far superior priority and damage racking capabilities than them, too.

Again, if you want characters that have low/no KO potential, visit the Samus, Sheik, Peach, and Sonic. These are the characters that have such a lack of KO potential that it actually makes a difference in where they are placed for tiers.

Seriously, just play anyone of those, and your compalints about Yoshi will all vanish.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i never said mk doesn't have sick priority, but maybe i was wrong on ko potential. nonetheless, his ko potential is far from spectacular, and the hardest thing for a mk player to do is figure out how he's gonna ko. as far as racking up dmg, he doesn't do great damage on his attacks (some exceptions), but that's offset by his priority. it's not hard to rack up dmg, it just takes longer, generally speaking.

Joeshi

Smash Rookie
Is Joeshi real? I can't tell if he is trying to insult me or if that is how he really thinks.
No dude im not trying to insult thats how i think in general. Sorry if you thought i was hating or bashing on you i dont go for that. We have enough of that **** spamming these threads already we dont need more. Everyone has an opinion so again sorry bout that i got nothin against you.

bigman40

Smash Master
In all honesty, Yoshi should be placed at about the middle of mid tier. He has enough in his arsenal to keep him from being too hard to play. Almost none of the match-ups seem like a complete blowout (idk the details for each so correct me if i'm wrong), but he doesn't have a walk in the park with most of the match-ups either.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: People need to just calm down...

...and start placing with Yoshi. People who talk **** generally just listen to board poopy and don't have an opinion of their own. People think Yoshi sucks. Big deal. I hate chocolate ice cream. Doesn't make EVERYONE ELSE I KNOW (>_<) like it any less. Just focus on doing your best with Yoshi for now. We can sh*t in each others' cereal later.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
:yoshi: People need to just calm down...

...and start placing with Yoshi. People who talk **** generally just listen to board poopy and don't have an opinion of their own. People think Yoshi sucks. Big deal. I hate chocolate ice cream. Doesn't make EVERYONE ELSE I KNOW (>_<) like it any less. Just focus on doing your best with Yoshi for now. We can sh*t in each others' cereal later.
OMG YOU HATE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM WTF? nah only kidding :p

I agree with you, but it ain't easy for me cuz of how many they are that just spam our threads. and it really annoys me. Especially when we have explained to them TOO many times how much Yoshi has improved, yet they ignore us.

D

Deleted member

Hugs is too good <3 I would put him maybe bottom half of mid, but what do i know. And ya, if u want yoshi to get noticed win some tournies. Everyone is going off of random assumptions that yoshi's recovery is worst in the game, that he has no good matchups, etc. He has his flaws (worst OOS game, somewhat hard to KO w/) but his advantages greatly outweigh his flaws.

Chocolate ice cream is teh yuckiz

Gindler

Smash Champion
I can't stand chocolate ice cream either, unless it has something to save it. Cause New York Fudge Chunk by ben & Jerry's is delicious. and yoshi has the worst OOS game? what's OOS?

Chaotic-Strike

Smash Cadet
I would place yoshi some where in the middle tier list. He has his weaknesses but his strengths greatly out weigh that. Personally I find yoshi to have a high learning curve that turns people off rather than him supposly being a sucky character.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i couldn't agree more, chaotic strike. yoshi is one of the hardest characters to play as and truly master, and i doubt that any of us are playing him to his fullest potential. think about how long it took just get egg tosses down and accurate, incorporate pivot grab in a competitive match, make uair as accurate as possible and sweetspotting fair, all while trying to not suicide (albeit happens less in brawl to yoshi noobs than melee or 64). and having his smash range down to a science, knowing which ones to use in certain situations (like an up close up-smash or even an up-tilt). not that other characters don't have to learn sweetspotting, but i feel like the design of yoshi emphasizes it. even gettng proper distance before attempting a b-air takes some getting used to, especially with brawl physics. don't even get started on learning combos, he has a lot of ways to start and string them.

yoshi's biggest drawback isn't "omg he cant jump out of shield". it's his learning curve.

Gindler

Smash Champion
He does have a big learning curve, I remember the transition from melee to brawl and I didn't know Bair was his new combo starter and how much harder the Fair is to land. Of course now He's my favorite again, but I remember the first day brawl came out and how easy characters like Pit and MK are to play that it actually took me longer to get used to the new yoshi than to brand new characters to the series. But yeah, big learning curve and I'm still working on timing Fsmash so that I dodge an attack when I lean back and punish their "whiff/miss" with my incoming Fsmash.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
i couldn't agree more, chaotic strike. yoshi is one of the hardest characters to play as and truly master, and i doubt that any of us are playing him to his fullest potential. think about how long it took just get egg tosses down and accurate, incorporate pivot grab in a competitive match, make uair as accurate as possible and sweetspotting fair, all while trying to not suicide (albeit happens less in brawl to yoshi noobs than melee or 64). and having his smash range down to a science, knowing which ones to use in certain situations (like an up close up-smash or even an up-tilt). not that other characters don't have to learn sweetspotting, but i feel like the design of yoshi emphasizes it. even gettng proper distance before attempting a b-air takes some getting used to, especially with brawl physics. don't even get started on learning combos, he has a lot of ways to start and string them.

yoshi's biggest drawback isn't "omg he cant jump out of shield". it's his learning curve.
Not being able to jump out of shield is a HUGE drawback. People like Marth and Wolf can chase him around in his shield all day while he frantically tries to shake them off long enough to get back on his feet. Not being able to do ariels (or anything besides rolling or shieldgrabbing) out of the shield means he can't block and counter like all the other characters can, if he just puts his shield down to counter he leaves himself open. The learning curve is something that negated with experience, but the shield will ALWAYS be a handicap, no matter how good you are.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I don't get it. When I first started playing Yoshi I took right to him. I work his Egg Toss and Egg Roll like a charm. Yoshi is a freaking easy-and-useful-to-use-basic character! The only reason people would say he sucks is because they just LOOK at him and make a judgment. **** n00bz can't respect a little cuteness!

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Not being able to jump out of shield is a HUGE drawback. People like Marth and Wolf can chase him around in his shield all day while he frantically tries to shake them off long enough to get back on his feet. Not being able to do ariels (or anything besides rolling or shieldgrabbing) out of the shield means he can't block and counter like all the other characters can, if he just puts his shield down to counter he leaves himself open. The learning curve is something that negated with experience, but the shield will ALWAYS be a handicap, no matter how good you are.
You can dodge out of shield too, but yes, it is a handicap that definitely limits his speed and counter ability. If anyone thinks that jumping out of shield isn't a big deal... it is. There really is no offensive counter for Yoshi after blocking an attack with a shield. He can't smash out of shield, can't jump out of shield into an aerial, his lag on his shield grab makes it pretty much useless. His power shield animation doesn't bypass his shield release animation (which is longer than any other shield in the game). Even though his shield can't get shield stabbed, the drawbacks definitely out weigh the benefits. If Yoshi goes into his shield, he's pretty much forced into a defensive game.

bigman40

Smash Master
And yet we forget that if he's forced into rolling, you can spotdodge then do whatever you want afterwards. Yoshi isn't THAT drawn back from it.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
while not being able to jump out of his shield is most definitely one of the more noticeable drawbacks (especially for those who don't main yoshi), there are some good things about his shield. he has a very unique shield, and it serves it's defensive purposes well. it lasts longer, doesn't shrink, and is harder to shield stab. what do you mean by "he can't block...like all the other characters can"? and i don't understand this talk about him not being able to hurt people out of his shield, especially if he shield rolls behind them. i've ended so many matches in brawl with shield roll, fsmash/usmash out of shield ( behind my opponent). he doesn't attack out of his shield like other characters might, but by no means is it impossible to hurt people coming out of his shield. if he could counter faster out of his shield and jump out of it, he's be near broken. and i'm fully aware that his shield roll is slow by most standards, but it's not to the point where it makes him unplayable. the fact that his smashes are faster in brawl kind of makes up for this. but the better thing for yoshi to do when coming out of his shield is jab combos (unless you're looking for a smash KO). ofcourse they're way faster than his smash attacks, have higher priority than most other characters' jabs, and the fact that you're coming out of shield roll means that you're generally gonna be closer to your opponent, negating the only bad thing about his jab which is his reach. yoshi plays upclose and in-your-face (with the exception of a few specific character matchups).

the egg roll is another part of the learning curve that frustrates most players who try to pick up yoshi, understandably so. but for us who have been maining him since melee, this is normal and we work around it by being smart when shielding and coming out of it. people who say he has the worst shield in the game are comparing apples to oranges, and they also have no clue what happens when jigglypuff gets shield stabbed.

i got this from the smash wiki in the shields section, can anyone verify this?: "The egg prevents Yoshi from jumping out of his shield, but when lightshielding, Yoshi's traction is reduced to less than Luigi's, and will slide a huge distance when attacked. Also, Yoshi has been known to randomly Perfect Shield (not completely understood), and is also completely invincible during his shielding animation."
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Shield
maybe it's happend to me but i've never noticed it (the shield slide, not perfect shield). apparently if you depress the shield button slightly (thus lightshielding, if i'm reading this right), and you get hit it will thus create a safe distance between you and the opponent. is the smash wiki right or wrong?

why the **** do all my posts turn into rants? if only i could start my history final essay....

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
don't misinterpret my post, his shield definitely handicaps him (like i said above, i think it would give him perhaps too much of an advantage over others, but that's my opinion, for what it's worth). it's just part of the learning curve that is yoshi.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
What learning curve? As I said, Yoshi is comfy and simple to use. You get used to him after a short while.

But maybe that's just Brawl, but as I remember he was rather easy to use in melee. He's just improved in Brawl.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The problem is not that Yoshi's bad, but just that there's so many characters who are better, sadly.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
What learning curve? As I said, Yoshi is comfy and simple to use. You get used to him after a short while.
well then he suits your style, but the compare him to how other characters play. i mentioned some things above about how he's different in most aspects than other characters. he lacks a "true" third jump (depends on what you think of egg tosses i guess), his shield is different, his projectile move is up+b and needs to be aimed (i think the only other proj. like this is pit's arrows) which takes practice, his methods of grabbing are different (not talking about just the pivot, but little details like the tip of the tongue), learning how to do down+b and not get punished, and we could get more advanced and mention things like ECE, but we won't. and i'm gonna conclude by saying if it took you no time to nail down fair, more power to you. i still whiff on it, but less so than when i first played the game.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
i got this from the smash wiki in the shields section, can anyone verify this?: "The egg prevents Yoshi from jumping out of his shield, but when lightshielding, Yoshi's traction is reduced to less than Luigi's, and will slide a huge distance when attacked. Also, Yoshi has been known to randomly Perfect Shield (not completely understood), and is also completely invincible during his shielding animation."
maybe it's happend to me but i've never noticed it (the shield slide, not perfect shield). apparently if you depress the shield button slightly (thus lightshielding, if i'm reading this right), and you get hit it will thus create a safe distance between you and the opponent. is the smash wiki right or wrong?
That's all pertinent to melee. You can't light shield anymore in brawl. In melee if you dash, cancel the dash with a spot dodge, and go straight into a shield, you would power shield any attacks that hit your shield until your shield started to turn red.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
while not being able to jump out of his shield is most definitely one of the more noticeable drawbacks (especially for those who don't main yoshi), there are some good things about his shield. he has a very unique shield, and it serves it's defensive purposes well. it lasts longer, doesn't shrink, and is harder to shield stab. what do you mean by "he can't block...like all the other characters can"? and i don't understand this talk about him not being able to hurt people out of his shield, especially if he shield rolls behind them. i've ended so many matches in brawl with shield roll, fsmash/usmash out of shield ( behind my opponent). he doesn't attack out of his shield like other characters might, but by no means is it impossible to hurt people coming out of his shield. if he could counter faster out of his shield and jump out of it, he's be near broken. and i'm fully aware that his shield roll is slow by most standards, but it's not to the point where it makes him unplayable. the fact that his smashes are faster in brawl kind of makes up for this. but the better thing for yoshi to do when coming out of his shield is jab combos (unless you're looking for a smash KO). ofcourse they're way faster than his smash attacks, have higher priority than most other characters' jabs, and the fact that you're coming out of shield roll means that you're generally gonna be closer to your opponent, negating the only bad thing about his jab which is his reach. yoshi plays upclose and in-your-face (with the exception of a few specific character matchups).

the egg roll is another part of the learning curve that frustrates most players who try to pick up yoshi, understandably so. but for us who have been maining him since melee, this is normal and we work around it by being smart when shielding and coming out of it. people who say he has the worst shield in the game are comparing apples to oranges, and they also have no clue what happens when jigglypuff gets shield stabbed.

why the **** do all my posts turn into rants? if only i could start my history final essay....
The problem with rolling is that it gets very predictable VERY fast. You're not going to catch anyone with that if they know that's all you can do. So basically you end up rolling around while they chase you. You can mix it up with spot dodge + smash/whatever, but if you're playing against somebody who knows Yoshi's weaknesses, they won't fall for it more than a couple times. My advice would be to keep them away from you with Eggs + Bair and try not to shield or roll too much to avoid getting trapped.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
The great thing about Yoshi's Egg Toss is that it can be pretty annoying to people trying to recover to the stage, and the egg also pops and the explosion covers a small area.

Top Bottom