• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people constantly say Yoshi sucks?

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
The main reason I believe people say Yoshi sucks is that he has a pretty big learning curve. They say that not being able to jump out of his shield hinders him greatly, and that he has a not so great recovery.

I personally never jump out of shield, even as another character, and I've used his up b to recover many times when either his second jump is too low, or to sweetspot the edge since his second jump is no longer reliable to quickly edgegrab anymore.

I dunno about Ganon being better than Yoshi, as I think Ganon is the WORST character in this game due to no L-cancelling, but I truly don't think Yoshi is at the bottom of the cast of characters.

Gindler

Smash Champion
He can quickly smash after a roll, and besides real matches are hardly won my smashes. I personally hardly use any of yoshi's because he's more of an edge killer anyhoo, alot of my kills come from meteors and Dair pushing, but if you're good enough to land a Fsmash I've killed with it in the 90s plenty of times.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Yoshi can't jump out of shield, and many other characters have better options than him in general. I'm not saying he's unplayable, but there are reasons why most people think that other characters are better than he is.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I don't really see what so good about jumping out of shields, the only time I found it useful with my other secondary mains is when escaping some projectile campers like Falco or Pit.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
He can't jump out of shield, his drop shield animation is slower than everyone else in the game, power shielding doesn't bypass his shield animation making countering an attack via power shield neigh impossible, and his recovery is still easily gimpable if he gets footstool jumped after his second jump. :(

If people are looking for flaws in any character they'll find it. If people say Yoshi sucks, it just means they haven't bothered to look at the things that make him good. While most statements tend to attack his shield which is different than any other character's, there clear weaknesses which will indeed hinder his speed and options. While at the sametime it's probably the only shield that can with stand G&W's bair or any other multi hit combo that would otherwise degenerate your shield till you get hit. Everyone decides to pick on Yoshi's weaknesses since he plays differently than other characters and it's easier to say he sucks than to learn more about his playstyle.

Shiri

Smash Chump
He can't jump out of shield, his drop shield animation is slower than everyone else in the game, power shielding doesn't bypass his shield animation making countering an attack via power shield neigh impossible, and his recovery is still easily gimpable if he gets footstool jumped after his second jump. :(

If people are looking for flaws in any character they'll find it. If people say Yoshi sucks, it just means they haven't bothered to look at the things that make him good. While most statements tend to attack his shield which is different than any other character's, there clear weaknesses which will indeed hinder his speed and options. While at the sametime it's probably the only shield that can with stand G&W's bair or any other multi hit combo that would otherwise degenerate your shield till you get hit. Everyone decides to pick on Yoshi's weaknesses since he plays differently than other characters and it's easier to say he sucks than to learn more about his playstyle.
:yoshi: What a perfect way to end the thread.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main reason I believe people say Yoshi sucks is that he has a pretty big learning curve. They say that not being able to jump out of his shield hinders him greatly, and that he has a not so great recovery.
I'm a very non-technical player, and I must say, there is significantly less learning curve to Yoshi in this game. Lack of DJC makes him MUCH easier to maneuver. He still DI's better than most characters, and now you can recover with his Up-B, so that feels like most other characters.

I dunno about Ganon being better than Yoshi, as I think Ganon is the WORST character in this game due to no L-cancelling, but I truly don't think Yoshi is at the bottom of the cast of characters.
The worst character in the game is Captain Falcon. Not joking. I've explained it thoroughly in the Falcon forums, but basically, Ganondorf combos and kills better than Falcon.

And people here still seem to think G&W still sucks lolololol. He's like the best character in the game this time around. Still not joking. And btw Yoshi's shield may indeed survive against G&W's B-air, but his B-air still does a TON of shield damage so you risk shield breaking when you shield his B-air too much.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I was just using his shield as an example to something that limits his options, but at the same time can open up new options. Of course you won't use it to block it every time he throws a bair at you, but if you need to you can.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
And people here still seem to think G&W still sucks lolololol. He's like the best character in the game this time around. Still not joking.
G&W is definitely high tier material but best character in the game? No way.

Not when he's that light and characters like Snake and Toon Link can out-zone him.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
i just say the entire thing came from back on ssb64 when yoshi was the "cute"character, because of that, not many people used him and eventually people, from the lack of seeing yoshi, decided that he "sucked" that legacy has continued all of this time and now is seems like a law that yoshi cannot be good, bleh. also, the AI set for yoshi, frankly, sucks. people may have gotten that idea from that also, not knowing what potential he had beneath the horribly played comp yoshi. that is all

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
anyone who says yoshi sucks only says that because they havent had their ***** spiked by the green monster

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
They also don't know anything about Yoshi. Probably even non-smash related things about Yoshi, they don't know anything about him. I seriously regret seeing other characters' potentials. I am fed up with being ignored, and no admin of this forum is paying any attention to this trolling that is happening to us.

NOTE TO ******* (probably 90% of users on this forum): STOP THINKING YOSHI AS THE WAY HE WAS IN MELEE! BRAWL YOSHI IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! HE IS BETTER W/O DJC, HE CAN RECOVER WITH UP-B, HE HAS BETTER BUFFS THAN NERFS, GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS!

lol cuz he does
GTFO! You are another one who doesn't know about Yoshi. Will you please be kind and **** off!

Why are they even on this forum? They pretty much fail at being a sma- wait, a NINTENDO fan TBH!

Gindler

Smash Champion
i just say the entire thing came from back on ssb64 when yoshi was the "cute"character, because of that, not many people used him and eventually people, from the lack of seeing yoshi, decided that he "sucked" that legacy has continued all of this time and now is seems like a law that yoshi cannot be good, bleh. also, the AI set for yoshi, frankly, sucks. people may have gotten that idea from that also, not knowing what potential he had beneath the horribly played comp yoshi. that is all
The AI truly does suck for yoshi, like the worst AI imo. and the lack of third jump was always a big turn off in the older smashes to most people (juggernaut frames made me forget about that little fact)

They also don't know anything about Yoshi. Probably even non-smash related things about Yoshi, they don't know anything about him. I seriously regret seeing other characters' potentials. I am fed up with being ignored, and no admin of this forum is paying any attention to this trolling that is happening to us.

NOTE TO ******* (probably 90% of users on this forum): STOP THINKING YOSHI AS THE WAY HE WAS IN MELEE! BRAWL YOSHI IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! HE IS BETTER W/O DJC, HE CAN RECOVER WITH UP-B, HE HAS BETTER BUFFS THAN NERFS, GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS!

GTFO! You are another one who doesn't know about Yoshi. Will you please be kind and **** off!

Why are they even on this forum? They pretty much fail at being a sma- wait, a NINTENDO fan TBH!
True True, yoshi is SOOO much better without DJC his combo potential is alot better so I forget it even existed, rising nair and rising meteor smashes are always fun. People seems to focus on this for some reason as a nerf but yoshi only really has 2 nerfs (Fair needs sweetspotting which isn't too bad, and the new Dsmash) and he has so many buffs I don't fell like listing them all.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
I hope nobody jumps on some bandwagon after they realize how great Yoshi is. Yoshi is pretty quick, pretty heavy, has air control, ground game, PIVOT GRAB, great off stage chasing ability, combos, damage moves, quick moves, KO moves, range.

I'll also mention he has mindgames. You can quickly change your style because of his versatility and useful moves in both air and ground. Every single one of his moves can be used in a useful way in a match. Egg toss tacks on great damage from afar so he has a pretty good camping game (eggs have nice dmg and blast radius). The machine gun egg has improved in safety because you don't have to worry about falling to death as much. You can also run off stage and DJ back to quickly grab the ledge.

Oh and yeah, pivot grab. My favorite annoying thing to repeatedly do. This eliminates most rushes because of it's range, it hangs out awhile, is faaast and the zero lag that allows it to be spammed in ways. UGH pivot grab can be used so many ways. Fake a retreat? It's so fast. If they fear being near you get into egg toss, which can setup if you dash in (plus with the new dash egg toss) while they're being hit. Good campers give me the most trouble.. go in the air to avoid all the stuff being thrown at you and try to get in their face. Yoshi is not top tier, but don't underestimate him at all. I want to go on and on but I think I already passed the short and sweet aspect of good posts... : P.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
ya i agree.

also, on a more serious note i admit that i was recently a "know nothing ******" when it came to Yoshi, i later tried him out, watched some vids, and decided he was just my style. (i actually didnt even mean to click on the Yoshi forum(what got me into Yoshi) i was clicking on wolf, but the lag made me click again and again and i accidentally clicked here.) now i am not one of those ******* and really appreciate Yoshi so much that he has become my main simply because he fits my style :) i don't really know how it was before Yoshi lost his djc, but i can imagine djc sucking balls in melee when applied to how i use him. i like him and i know what it is like being a Yoshi disliker(i never hated him really) but knowledge can be a huge sway to peoples opinions. if we posted sharkey's guide to Yoshi on all the other threads, Yoshi would get a lot more appreciation. but maybe im just different :) :(

Mmac

Smash Lord
I hope nobody jumps on some bandwagon after they realize how great Yoshi is.
Unfortunately (or Fortunately, depending on how you look at it), with all the talk of Yoshi being the Bottom of the Bottom Tier, I really doubt that will happen :'(

But yeah, even his Nerfed moves are still useful. Fair is still a great spike attack, with good knockback on a "failed" sweetspot, and Down Smash is a good Anti-Roll attack

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i was just browsing the sticky in the tactical discussion forum and the tier list thread. most people have yoshi bottom tier, sometimes as low as 35th. i'm not really big on tier discussion (especially this early, and i also believe tiers will be a lot less relevant in this game), but whoa, some of these kids need to be smoking the piece of chalk they have lodged up their nose. not trying to say yoshi is teh omg tier, but he matches up pretty good with almost all the other characters, especially in the hands of a player who's knowledgeable about how to play him. most smashers aren't.

i would love to play against these chumps (i'm far from being a great yoshi player, but hold my own). i can't agree more with the opinions expressed earlier in this thread. "oh i suck with this character, no one else plays with him, bottom tier 'em". i can't play lucario to save my life, so does that make him poop tier? my friend plays him like a champ, so i know better, but unfortunately some people just don't seem to know any better when it comes to yosh.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, i don't put people i can't use in the bottom tier list. I suck with anyone with a sword actually (except MK cause he's so easy to use) and that seems to be all anyone likes to use anymore, kirby and the jiggz are some of my secondaries I don't know why but I can only seem to use the lesser used characters in the game for some reason.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Because most frequent brawl players knew in melee, yoshi was meh. So they bring the assumption over in brawl. Yoshi is VERY good in brawl compared to what most people think.. I've played enough against him and I would say some aspects of Yoshi are even broken. I'm not going to go into detail because I feel as if im going to be flamed, but hes like a weaker version of olimar, great on stage, and horrible off it. Just gimp the recovery.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
^
funny you say he's a weaker olimar, considering the clear advantages he has over him. not flaming you, but at least you realize he's better than he was in brawl. also he's harder to gimp since his egg toss acts like a thrid jump (or fourth jump).

oh, and PA REPREZENT!

ojannen

Smash Rookie
How can you think yoshi is high tier?

He has one of the worst recoveries in the game. It is so easy to die to stupid things like footstool jumps and g&w bacon. His recovery is bad enough that edge guarding an opponent under the stage is risky. He has no attack that works well on opponents coming from high above the stage. In addition to all of this, his recovery is incredibly predictable.

He has very limited priority. Everyone out prioritizes him on everything except the bair. Enough characters have a strong dair, uair, or utilt that he has major problems with his air game. Everyone in the high+ tiers have at least one of these attacks.

His shorthop is too floaty to allow for quick attacks. This means that everything you do in the air is telegraphed seconds in advance of the actual attack. The lag time at the end of the fair and dair make them unusable against good opponents. I have played against people who simply eat the 15-20% of damage and turn it into a 40% combo against me.

Due to the above two points, yoshi's approach game is subpar. It is very difficult for him to put pressure on fast opponents who are good at running away. This puts him at a severe disadvantage against anyone with a projectile and decent grab combos.

He only has three killing moves below 150%, side smash, up smash, up air. If you actually want them to kill around 120%, you have to not use them in the early game. This is a problem due to the lack of other usable moves. Compare that to G&w who has a kill move at 80%, and two at 100%. This means that a g&w player starts looking for kills around 65% and a yoshi around 105%.

Yoshi's throw game is worthless. Congrats, you just did 4% of non-comboing damage to your opponent. It seems like in a game with this many chain grabs and throw combos, yoshi should have a guaranteed damage throw. He does not. If you whiff, you take 20%+. I don't really care if there is a chain grab under 50%, yoshi can already handle that area of the match just fine.

Yoshi has the worst shield in the game. You are no longer invulnerable to standard attacks and you still have all the disadvantages of the melee shield.

There is a very specific place your opponent can stand, at the edge of the ftilt range where yoshi has 0 kill moves and 0 approach moves. All your opponent has to do is learn the startup animation for the grab, and keep a finger on the cstick. As soon as a non grab attack starts, forward smash for easy damage/kills. This is the reason I quit playing yoshi. If you can move faster than yoshi, it is not that difficult to get into this position due to the above points.

If you want someone with a good camping game and decent kill moves, play falco/fox/wolf. If you want someone with literally the same moveset as yoshi with more priority, better throws, better recovery and better kill moves, play game and watch. I don't understand what yoshi does that makes him both unique and better than other mid/high tier characters.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
wow, i've seen some pretty stupid posts on these forums, but that takes the cake...there are so many things wrong with that post i don't even know where to begin, but i'm just gonna look at his recovery. the worst in the game? you play bowser, so you should know better than to type something like that. yoshi gets super armor after his double jump, making it hard to footstool him, and his egg tosses can help him out if he does. if yoshi gets footstooled (which is much more rare in this game than in melee with super armor frames), DI and egg toss. it's not a hard concept. his recovery gets pretty high altitude, i don't know if we're playing the same game bro.

i could keep going with that post but i have better things to do so i'll leave it to the others.

D

Deleted member

Well u can get footstooled in super armor =/. Also footstooling is new to brawl =P Recovering high is a good way to avoid this, bowser doesnt have this luxery and everyone with a decent spike can gimp his recovery, where as yoshi can fight back during his recovery, and still recovery to safety. He can easily edgeguard due to his long 2nd jump, and many moves suitable for edgeguarding. HE has good priority, u dont know what ur talking about. Not as good as a disjointed hitbox, but good. Yoshi is not high tier. Lets get that straight. High tier characters are better than yoshi, as are some mid tier characters. Yoshi is not a very good character. That said, u are completely wrong about his throws. His GRAB game is the best in the game. Pivot grabs counter many approaches. At higher percents, u can get quite a few bites in after u grab. This racks up damage, and also addresses another problem which is knockback decay. Each bite counts for a hit so it helps bring your moves back to full strength. His throws dont garentee that u get a hit, but they arent useless. Game and watch isnt similar to yoshi. Wow, his bair is somewhat similar. Yes game and watch is a lot better. But dont underestimate the little dino, hes a viable character.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Really good post ojannen. There were lots of good points. I'm not gonna argue every point because you got a lot of it correct.

I'm not exactly sure how many people seriously think he's high tier, but I think the point of this thread was to just point out reasons why he's not crap-second-to-last-above-gannon bottom tier.

He has one of the worst recoveries in the game. It is so easy to die to stupid things like footstool jumps and g&w bacon. His recovery is bad enough that edge guarding an opponent under the stage is risky. He has no attack that works well on opponents coming from high above the stage. In addition to all of this, his recovery is incredibly predictable.
Yeah his recovery is horrible if you're trying to recover from under the stage -_-. Apart from that his recovery is decent. Heavy frames from his second jump are actually very nice for avoiding some attacks that would otherwise knock a character out even further, like olimar's fair or a shinespike. Footstools are definitely what screw over Yoshi's recovery. Footstools screw over everyone, but it hurts Yoshi more since his up-b has no vertical recovery at all. Idk about G&W bacons though, you can double jump through them with, but I'd much rather dodge them? Unless you mean if someone stops Yoshi's momentum as he's coming back with egg toss after using their second jump, then that would indeed screw him over. I honestly use egg tosses to get close enough to the stage since I have a better chance of recovering with my double jump for this very reason.

He has very limited priority. Everyone out prioritizes him on everything except the bair. Enough characters have a strong dair, uair, or utilt that he has major problems with his air game. Everyone in the high+ tiers have at least one of these attacks.
Everyone and everything is a pretty general statement. A few concrete examples would be nice. His priority is actually pretty good imo. Yoshi's and G&W's fsmash both have the same priority. Anyways, Yoshi's neutral crazy good priority, very good range, and it's pretty fast also! But I guess it doesn't count since it's not a normal attack I guess... wait no.

His shorthop is too floaty to allow for quick attacks. This means that everything you do in the air is telegraphed seconds in advance of the actual attack. The lag time at the end of the fair and dair make them unusable against good opponents. I have played against people who simply eat the 15-20% of damage and turn it into a 40% combo against me.
DJC neutral b is a pretty good move thats pretty quick and has good range. The lag time on Yoshi's fair and dair are no worst than Marth's. You don't see people saying Marth's aerials are unusable because of the landing lag on his attacks. Maybe you should use Yoshi's other aerial attacks which give him roughly no landing lag if you're that close to the ground eh?

Due to the above two points, yoshi's approach game is subpar. It is very difficult for him to put pressure on fast opponents who are good at running away. This puts him at a severe disadvantage against anyone with a projectile and decent grab combos.
His egg's have very good range and stun anyone hit by them... I suppose they aren't as easy mode to use as Pit's arrows or Falco's blaster, but I wouldn't say it's a severe disadvantage.

He only has three killing moves below 150%, side smash, up smash, up air. If you actually want them to kill around 120%, you have to not use them in the early game. This is a problem due to the lack of other usable moves. Compare that to G&w who has a kill move at 80%, and two at 100%. This means that a g&w player starts looking for kills around 65% and a yoshi around 105%.
His down b is also up there with the rest of his kill moves, but yeah, they're all pretty bad compared to other people's kill moves. :(

Yoshi's throw game is worthless. Congrats, you just did 4% of non-comboing damage to your opponent. It seems like in a game with this many chain grabs and throw combos, yoshi should have a guaranteed damage throw. He does not. If you whiff, you take 20%+. I don't really care if there is a chain grab under 50%, yoshi can already handle that area of the match just fine.
His grab has huge range, and his pivot grab is incredibly fast. I don't know how you can say his grab game is worthless. Discounting his chain grab because it only works up to 50% is a horrible reason to discount it, I'd take starting a match against an opponent with 50% than nothing.

There is a very specific place your opponent can stand, at the edge of the ftilt range where yoshi has 0 kill moves and 0 approach moves. All your opponent has to do is learn the startup animation for the grab, and keep a finger on the cstick. As soon as a non grab attack starts, forward smash for easy damage/kills. This is the reason I quit playing yoshi. If you can move faster than yoshi, it is not that difficult to get into this position due to the above points.
You can egg lay someone out of ftilt range, I think that counts as an approach move. You could same the same about Yoshi vs anyone else who has less range than him?

If you want someone with a good camping game and decent kill moves, play falco/fox/wolf. If you want someone with literally the same moveset as yoshi with more priority, better throws, better recovery and better kill moves, play game and watch. I don't understand what yoshi does that makes him both unique and better than other mid/high tier characters.
I think Wario's moveset is the most similar to Yoshi's. :) Again, I'm not sure how many people think Yoshi is high tier, but all we're saying is that he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
yoshi couldn't get footstooled in melee? and i was under the assumption super armor was like a limited invulnerability of sorts, i could easily be mistaken.

i don't think any yoshi player here is kidding themselves by saying he's high tier or even a very good character. i'd say he's mid tier or good and pretty playable. but when it's all said and done, i think we won't look at tiers like in other fighting games since they've seemed to balance the game out, which is to say any character can beat any other character with enough knowledge about the game. what grinds my gears are the people who are still stuck in a melee mind set and therefore can't comprehend this concept, like a yoshi beating a game & watch or like IC beating marth.

ojannen

Smash Rookie
I realize that I have overgeneralized some points.

There are too many things that change a recovery situation from an edge grab to instant death. Ness and Lucas have a similar problem. This is compounded by how predictable his recovery is.

This is my problem with the yoshi's grab:
1. It doesn't setup anything unless the opponent is an idiot. Spacing matters and this just puts people too far away for yoshi to attack.
2. It deals 4 damage at low percentages. I will admit that at higher percentages the damage is more useful. However, I have seen too many people punish with a grab rather than a setup or a smash.
3. If you miss and you are above 100% you are going to die against a good player.

On almost every yoshi video I have seen, the yoshi player gets about 50% (6-8 grabs) worth of damage through grabs over 3 stock. The player also dies at least once due to a missed grab. I don't think that is a fair trade.

On the medium to heavy characters, 2 up tilts, an uair and an egg does the same as a chain grab (does chain grabbing work on the lighter characters?).

Nice tip on the djc to neutral b.

I have found that the eggs do not work well against aggressive players. The time to take them out and the lag time after the egg comes out is too great. The vertical boost actually hurts the ability to short hop egg. The biggest problem is that you can no longer throw them so they explode at your feet. They are great after combos or to punish a camper but I find myself avoiding them in general situations.

The problem on the second to last point is that yoshi has no way to correct the situation. An egg lay or a throw just repeats the situation on the opposite side. He has no way to close the gap. Even a bair has to be timed perfectly so that the last hit does not push the opponent away. You can keep chipping away until your opponent hits 175% and random stuff kills but remember that you are taking damage here as well.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
yes, we have all realized that he isnt the best, all i care about is that i am CAPABLE of beating "high tier" characters. why does everyone judge a character by how many use him, should we not only care about who is behind a character? tiers don't really matter in the grand scheme of things and it has hurt many characters and over populated many others. i don't care if g&w is "better," all i really care about is who fits my playing style and who alows me to have fun, is that not what this game is for? if it is not, then go ahead and play whoever is "the best" but if you want to have fun, play the character that fits you the best. Ojanan, you make many points, and i respect that you are more comfortable with G&W, but ranting on about how he is better in every way is not going to change the mind of anyone who plays this game for fun. this is because they have decided that they like yoshi, and nothing will change our minds. why bother with your rants? if your goal is to stop a charactor from being played, then you obviously have no morals or intelligence. yoshi was kept in the game, therefore he should be played END OF TOPIC

Nocher

Smash Rookie
also, please dont flame me for being a moderator in this flame war, i have not said anything to offend either side, i have simply brought up the pointlessness of it all

thank you

~Nocher

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
This is my problem with the yoshi's grab:
1. It doesn't setup anything unless the opponent is an idiot. Spacing matters and this just puts people too far away for yoshi to attack.
dead wrong. dthrow and uthrow sets up nicely into usmash/utilt, uair/nair and the side throws set up into just about anything you want, even egg tosses. any one of these throw combos will net you aroun 20% dmg on your opponent, usually but not always. this goes for even smart opponents, not just idiots.

2. It deals 4 damage at low percentages. I will admit that at higher percentages the damage is more useful. However, I have seen too many people punish with a grab rather than a setup or a smash.
ever tried biting your opponent while you have them grabbed? also like i mentioned above, most (good) yoshi players use grabs to set up attacks, not to rack up damage. that's like looking at MK's jabs and saying they horrible, they only do 3-4%. doesn't mean it's not one of his most useful moves.

3. If you miss and you are above 100% you are going to die against a good player.
um, this is all dependant on who your opponent is, but let me remind you that yoshi is in fact one of the heavier characters in the game (look at the weight charts which are i believe in the tactical discussion thread) and i've survived many"ko" hits over 100% (and yes, we've all been killed at 100% too). as far as missing on grabs and being punished for it, it's pretty obvious you have NO idea what dash/pivot grabs are. i've never seen any good yoshi player just do a standing grab with no movement involved. yoshi's normal grab isn't even worth mentioning, no one uses it cause yes, it does suck. however, we all abuse dash/pivot grabs, they're much quicker and way less risky.

the point of the dash grab is that even if you do miss, you're still running the opposite direction of your opponent, and missing a pivot grab is offset by the fact that it's quick and connects a lot.

On almost every yoshi video I have seen, the yoshi player gets about 50% (6-8 grabs) worth of damage through grabs over 3 stock. The player also dies at least once due to a missed grab. I don't think that is a fair trade.
what? none of what you said happens on any video posted on this forum, with maybe one or two occurences.

I have found that the eggs do not work well against aggressive players. The time to take them out and the lag time after the egg comes out is too great. The vertical boost actually hurts the ability to short hop egg. The biggest problem is that you can no longer throw them so they explode at your feet. They are great after combos or to punish a camper but I find myself avoiding them in general situations.
eggs work well against any type of player (without a reflector). the arch on the egg toss might seem like a disadvantage, but it hits an opponent in the air a lot quicker than having to jump then shoot a laser. while the egg toss did get nerfed, it's still not a horrible move. for a projectile it does great damage too.

An egg lay or a throw just repeats the situation on the opposite side. He has no way to close the gap. Even a bair has to be timed perfectly so that the last hit does not push the opponent away. You can keep chipping away until your opponent hits 175% and random stuff kills but remember that you are taking damage here as well.
an egg lay sets up very nicely for an egg toss, stunning the opponent and then comboing into an uair/usmash. i already went over throws.

bair closes the gap better than most other characters can, and the dash a (headbutt) works well against a lot of character as it's high priority. same goes for nair. and downb, even if you miss it slightly, the stars have a little knockback so you can start jabbing when you land.

yoshi only KO's at 175%? two questions: what are you smoking and where can i find some?

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i agree nocher, i'm only trying to point out that he's wrong on a lot of things.

don't get me wrong, there are plenty of weaknesses to yoshi (his reach for example). most of them have already been mentioned, but he hasn't even bothered to go back, look at them, and rehash them. there are also ways around these weaknesses that many people haven't bothered to try out, i believe this is the case with ojannen.

the fact of the matter is that yoshi is playable competitively once you've learned how to play with him, and this will take longer than with most characters. but saying things like his throw game is worthless and he can't KO until 175% just shows ignorance on his part. sorry to be so frank about it.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
that should not be offensive and should be handled accordingly ojannen, please do not flame and politely respond to his claim.

i want this argument to be handled so that i do not have to trash both of your reputations.

please respond to meta dude, ojannen

Nocher

Smash Rookie
from now on, i shall do what i must to keep this thread flame free and the discussions logical

you may call me the ARGUMENT MODERATOR

Gindler

Smash Champion

Yoshi has the worst shield in the game. You are no longer invulnerable to standard attacks and you still have all the disadvantages of the melee shield.

First note, Yoshi has a rising air dodge that usually works against bacon and chicken or whatever G&W is throwing at you. and no attack good for opponent coming above the stage? Have you heard of the Uair? possibly the most powerful attack yoshi has (minus smashes of course) eggs can be thrown up too.

And no priority? even yoshi's jab can cancel out some Fsmashes if you hit them right, I was surprised myself and no I'm not crazy.

Yes I admit yoshi's short hop is rather floaty, that's why most yoshi players Bair with it because it's hard to get around it and it has NO landing lag so you can do tilts or smashes or whatever you want.

True yoshi doesn't have many "kill" moves but he can kill at 60 with a well placed Fair spike. and most of his kills come from his edgeguarding game anyway.

Yoshi's throw game isn't worthless, he has the best dash grab in the game do tue it's reach, and 4 damage is only the Dthrow. the Fthrow and Bthrow do a whopping 7 damage.

I do admit that yoshi's shield is a bit weak, but at least he's the only character that can't be shield stabbed so that's a minor plus.

and true yoshi doesn't have the best camping game, but if you want to be a camper go be toon link, pit, or a space animal. and if you're using bowser how can you talk about bad camping game?

Top Bottom