• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people call shiek cheap?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Do they? If someone does, ask them to try playing with her for a while, that person should soon find she is no easier to use than another character.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Well from what I understand back in the day when SSBM was still new Sheik was god because of crouch canceling and her easy to set up combos so a lot of people started to play her and won a large number of the tournaments. Worst yet in some of those cases with very little actually practice with Sheik.

She been called game breaking ever since, that's why.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
That era is hopefully over atleast. Her combos were just too simple in melee also her broken grab was king. Part of the paper, rock, scissors group of characters back then. Atleast the game is balanced enough to not do that this time; hopefully.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
why was sheik cheap it was very simple, i never play sheik but i can still own with really simple tactics. falling f-air---> d-tilt---> f- tilt anywhere from 1 to 6 times than slap for the win. the slap was way too easy to kill with. and while i admit that that was her only usable kill move, it didnt matter because every other single move in her repetoir comboed into it. d-tilt, f-tilt, u-tilt, f-smash, and up down and back throws all comboed rediculously well into a slap that usually couldnt be avoided. thats why sheik is so cheap i had friends who never played the game beat pretty seasoned ppl just because i told them to keep forward tilting and than slap and it almost always worked and in the rare case that it didnt work you could start over immediatly after. not to mention the fact that this might all be ok if she wasnt agile enough to get out of everyone elses combos, which she is.

The more you know.

legendganon

Smash Cadet
Maybe becasue a high percentage of people in melee used her, and she does have nice combo starters.

daemonk

Smash Cadet
Good combos, easy to pick up.

She relied heavily on fundamentals and not really any advanced techs. No advanced techs makes people think she is easy to play. And in a way, its true.

But people don't realize how hard it is to play her against other characters that had access to advance techs and variation. A Sheik player has to find an opening within the barrage of arrows/bombs/boomerang against link. Her agility makes that easier, but not simple. Trying to always get behind marth because of his reach with his sword.

Sheik is good against new opponents. Against long time friends that has figured out your limited attack patterns..not so good.

Sheik is the perfect character for people who likes mindgames rather than advance techs.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Shiek simply had it all: spammable projectiles, an easy grab game, tilts that easily combo into her 3 killer aerials, and the second best down smash in the game.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Sheik was considered cheap in melee for a number of reasons

1) Basically all of her moves came out instantly, had a long duration, hit for the entirety of their duration, and had good knockback, damage, and priority
2) Tilts were amazingly good, and could easily combo multiple hits and lead in to more. I easily racked up 80% damage without taking a hit (downthrow into uptilt into uptilt into forward tilt into dash attack into uptilt into forward tilt into neutral air into slap) constantly
3) Downsmash came out quickly, had very high priority and knockback, and had three hits.
4) Chainthrow against tons of characters, not just fastfallers
5) Needles were quick, long-ranged, annoying, could not be reflected, were hard to keep track of, screwed up many recoveries, and canceled out most other projectiles. Charged needles were essentially free damage
6) Slap was one of the best horizontal kill moves, came out instantly, hit hard for its entire duration, and hit downwards and to the side.
7) Against characters with a good horizontal recovery, the upair could juggle a few hits and kill off the top at a fairly low percentage as well. It also came out instantly and hit for a long duration.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sheik was considered cheap in melee for a number of reasons

1) Basically all of her moves came out instantly, had a long duration, hit for the entirety of their duration, and had good knockback, damage, and priority
2) Tilts were amazingly good, and could easily combo multiple hits and lead in to more. I easily racked up 80% damage without taking a hit (downthrow into uptilt into uptilt into forward tilt into dash attack into uptilt into forward tilt into neutral air into slap) constantly
3) Downsmash came out quickly, had very high priority and knockback, and had three hits.
4) Chainthrow against tons of characters, not just fastfallers
5) Needles were quick, long-ranged, annoying, could not be reflected, were hard to keep track of, screwed up many recoveries, and canceled out most other projectiles. Charged needles were essentially free damage
6) Slap was one of the best horizontal kill moves, came out instantly, hit hard for its entire duration, and hit downwards and to the side.
7) Against characters with a good horizontal recovery, the upair could juggle a few hits and kill off the top at a fairly low percentage as well. It also came out instantly and hit for a long duration.
All the reasons I liked her :chuckle:

But seriously, from the moment I first used her in Melee, half a decade before I ever went to any tournaments, I mained Sheik- hell, that was way before I had ever heard of the term "main". She was my favorite, and I used her forever. In Brawl, I'll do the same. The purppose of this game was to equal everyone out, so despite her new nerfed form, there will still be a way to win with her. I think perhaps now, with Zelda being stronger and Sheik being weaker, presumably, Sakurai wanted a stronger emphasis on switching between the two forms to really utilize the whole character, much like the PKMN Trainer's stamina. Guess Zelda and Sheik mains will just have to coexist, perhaps.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
All the reasons I liked her :chuckle:

But seriously, from the moment I first used her in Melee, half a decade before I ever went to any tournaments, I mained Sheik- hell, that was way before I had ever heard of the term "main". She was my favorite, and I used her forever. In Brawl, I'll do the same. The purppose of this game was to equal everyone out, so despite her new nerfed form, there will still be a way to win with her. I think perhaps now, with Zelda being stronger and Sheik being weaker, presumably, Sakurai wanted a stronger emphasis on switching between the two forms to really utilize the whole character, much like the PKMN Trainer's stamina. Guess Zelda and Sheik mains will just have to coexist, perhaps.
It'd be really nice if that were the case. Zelda/Shiek would definitely be my main then. However, the transformation is so slow that an opponent could recover from off the edge and be able to get a free hit in on you. It just isn't practical.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
It's just a stigma. Sheik was pretty OP when the tourney scene was just beginning and the community, as a whole, was at a much lower skill level than it is today. Most casual players also fall at or below this level, so it still applies to them as well.

godslafco

Smash Cadet
VS. so many casual, and even avid players, Sheik is an easy way to coast through a match without much thought. Her moves and combos and strategies can be applied to pretty much any opponent. It's after one develops a meta game that the pros of shiek can be overcome.

That being said, I love Zelda/Sheik and will most likely main her/them...unless another character makes an impression on me.

Moon/Sun

Smash Apprentice
I remember reading in a guide that she was meant for novice players. So I guess more skilled players took advantage of that. She's not cheap though, I consider her one of the most disatvantaged characters. I used to dislike her but my friend recomended I try her a see for myself. He was right and I havent stopped maining her since. I did th same to another friend and he changed his views as he too occasionally uses Sheik.

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
I'll agree by saying that the "slap" arial move was over powered beyond thought. Other than that Sheik isn't too cheap. Any skilled player can handle taking on Sheik. Shields generally work or pick one of the characters who can counter. Sure sheik is my main but mostly because i love the speed. I'm not a huge fan of combos and i generally use throws and hit and run. I guess Sheik can be considered cheap based upon how you played her. I'm also one of those people who hate getting stuck in a combo and can't get out which could be why I developed a tactic of not doing that to people. Either way stopping one of Sheiks combos is hard if it already started but stopping it before it starts is easy. Besides its not like she could ever hold much damage.

Roscoewolf

Smash Cadet
She was quite a good character in melee, but I guess the main reason she is the one picked on for being cheap was because she was more popularly used by less experianced players than the top Fox / Falco players. Tho sheik was my main I have to admit , her combos were a lot easier than Fox's.

Top Bottom