• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why choose Y. Link over Link?

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
I've seen it quiet a few times. People love Young Link because he's so tiny and adorable. But is there any real reasons / advantages to pick Young Link over the Adult Link? I don't play Young Link and I only daddle with Link, so I have no knowledge on this subject. They have the same moves, so it would seem they would be virtually the same, except the obvious difference in range. I also heard Young Link can't bomb jump. These are the disadvantages I've heard, and I've yet to hear an advantage Young Link has over Link.

So with the knowledge I have, it seems pointless to choose Young Link over Link. Don't get offended by this, it is not meant to bash Young Link players. I'm sure there are reasons to play Young Link and I want to hear why. If there wasn't why would there be players like Caveman? :chuckle:

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
hmm i love Ylinks hitboxes and how he sends yer opponents diff ways his bombs are faster pulled out.

you have more control over boomerang.

fire arrows.

down tilt is like a meteor smash.

fire spike.

down smash sends them horizontal.

alot faster than Link (if yer a Ylink player alot play Link once it feels like yer moving in slow motion)

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
a fire spike is when you press down A while in the air and hit your enemy with your sword towards the handle and you will spike them into the ground in fire...

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
okay, thats cool. So are these enough reasons to play with Young Link over Link. Do they think they seem to balance each other out?

Chip.

you know what to do
Young Link and Link are clones but are both quite different in their own right. In my personal judgeing, they are both essentially equeal and balanced out. To mention a few obvious advantages Young Link has are:

his bombs hit 4 multiple hits and have a longer stun(link's are 2)

his boomerang is stronger and has greater trajectories than Link's

his fire arrows initiate small "stun" when they hit

Young Link has better projectiles than Link overall

Young Link is faster and can wavedash better

Young Link's Spin recov. is greater than Link's

Has the Fire Spike and Link doesn't

Young Link can combo off of his projectiles better than Link can

In many battles, Young Link can rack up damage faster and better than Link can (example: Bomb->Point-Blank Boomerang->nair->nair->D-smash brings enemies from 0-60% or higher= XD)

Some advantages Link has are:

Stronger in most of his physical attacks

Has greater range with all of his attacks

Is heavier and can fast fall MUCH faster: therefore can SHFFL more efficiently

Has a greater hookshot recov. than Young Link

Has a better killing move than Young Link (Spin Spike)

Link's KO potential is higher than Young Link's

Can Bomb Jump

Has better grab than Young Link

Link has a better crouch cancel

There are more but these are the obvious ones. You should also check some Link/Young Link guides. In some of them, they have comparisons between the two. But, don't read Lord HDL's interpretation of the two, he has the worst, most biased Link/Young Link comparisons I have ever seen in my life! I suggest reading Buzz's guide, his judgeing is a quite a bit more even/equeal.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i chose ylink over link because hes faster, and his projectiles are alot better. altho he has less range i still choose him over his adult version. even if i prefer ylink i still use link regardless.

also ylinks up b goes higher than link's. also ylinks arrows are better.

but basically chip has said everything that i would say

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
thats cool, they seem alot more even than I thought. I guess its just a false assumption that Links young counterpart is bad, I think people dont take the time to look into it.

ROB_[MCC}

Smash Apprentice
I only chose Young Link because his movement, jumps, and weight were more comfortable for me.

RPK

Smash Lord
OH and his Dtilt is easier to spike with then Links. And His down smash has a more vertical trajectory. However Y.links up B doesnt have the same hit box and doesnt send them down. Also, from what Ive heard, its harder to approach with Y.link then it is with Link.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It seems to me that Links advantages are better than young links. aka infinte recovery.
Hmm... I didn't know Link had an infinite recovery unless you reached over 400 damage. Do you find yourself constantly in need of a big recovery? Young Link's speed is a huge advantage.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
If you must know y link is a counter for dsmash spamming turnip picking peach. Thats the only reason to use young link!

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
Link's bomb jumping = infinite recovery

The only way it isn't is if you don't have time to pull out the bomb.

Some people say Link's bomb jumping doesn't do anything, and they're wrong. I'll show you.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JHThCvYQY7o

near the end Aniki uses bomb jumping when he was almost surely dead.

Ironicly he gets back to the edge but dies right after. Great match though.

OMG Korius Wall Techs like a mofo.

Sugoi_boy

Smash Cadet
Young Link > Link

Y-link is better. I can play a Big-Link, but the differences in versatility between Young Link and his older form are undeniable. Y-Link lacks the spikes and raw power, but he's fast and he's stout. He isn't as user-friendly because of his lag (that has to be dealt with) but a good Y-link can take the lag cuts and run with them, turning L-canceling into an art form.

btw, the smashers in that video aren't that good, they just stall, and bomb recov is actually not consistent enough to be good, just use link's ridiculous recovery abilities to get back on, better than popping your own bomb and maybe giving you enemy a chance to jump off and spike you- making all that trouble totally not worth it. just up b or R+hookshot

Sugoi_boy

Smash Cadet
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AqNEsgHNrWM&mode=related&search=

I didn't Aniki played young link. but anyway at about 2:30 is that a "fire spike"?
Yes, thats a Fire spike

in most circles, its called "Fairy Stomp" its whenever you down A inside someones hit boxes- as opposed to just colliding with the hitboxes. There is debate over if it is initiated when the hilt of Ylink's sword is inside and Down+A is pressed, or if it is merely anytime in which Down+A is pressed when inside the enemy. It is possible to time, but only really good players can do it. its actually a meteor, so there is only a few times that it can be useful, afterall it does only knock foes straight down.

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
They're both different characters...the timing is so different. Though Y.Link is faster than Link, I find myself keep further distances from my opponent with Y.Link mainly to utilize his projectiles. Link is better at close range in my opinion because of his slow attacks and long range, you can time hitting people when they roll easier...i.e. dash attack --> side tilt --> down tilt --> up tilt --> side tilt

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
Ylink ftw. He's one of my mains. I pwn with him.
Do you now?
hahaha

I liike Link Better than Young link
the only real thing Y Link has on Link is speed and wavedash
his profectiles aren't better
just cause his bomb hits 4 times

Link does have an infinate recovery
Link has better potential
thats why I think hes better

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
I guess it's just how you play the characters...I use projectiles to interrupt/stun, but then again, those bombs don't always do multiple hits...but Y.Links boomerang is undoubtedly better.

d2Law89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PolarUrs
3DS FC
1263-6319-5484
Yeah, you have more control over it, plus it's stronger I believe.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone here play both Y. Link and Link? Don't you think since they are similar, its a good choice to have both in your arsenal?

Giggidax

Smash Ace
i play both link and ylink, and yes they are very much similar. after all they were made to be "clones". i use Link sometimes in matchups where i know i need to CC alot. and ylink is just my projectile spamming annoying dair combo machine.

ryaneatworld i jus looks at ur profile and i saw u had the same bday as me. lol bleh i dunno roffle

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
haha, your one year older than me EXACTLY. trippy man. but yeah, I think Y. Link and Link are good, so if you play one you should play both.

Prower90

Smash Rookie
I play Link and Y. Link...I choose depending on my enemy...does that make any sense?

Chip.

you know what to do
his profectiles aren't better
just cause his bomb hits 4 times
Completely false, Young Link's bombs do 12% damage while Link's do 8%. Also, it has such a loong stun that allows you to combo off of it such as Young Link's almighty Bomb Plant, which is something LInk can't do.

Young Link's Boomerang is also far superior to Link's. At Point-Blank, Young Link's boomerang can do 19% whoping damage while Link's do 15%. The stun on it is also longer so you can do, like the Bomb Plant, the Boom Plant at close range.

Link's arrows suck. Period. Young Link's are easily better because of the arrow stun->attack combo you can do that Link, again, can't do.

Link does have an infinate recovery
Link has better potential
thats why I think hes better

No he doesn't, like Buzz said, it only works at like 400% and Link will never, ever last that long in the battle. Truthfully, the Bomb Jump sucks :p. How often do any Link players actually use it AND actually RECOVER back to the edge with it, honestly? It only hits Link into a juggle state which in turn will probably get him murdered before he hits the stage.

Exactly, how does this give him "better potential" hmmm? You need to have better reasoning to make statements like this.

It seems to me that Links advantages are better than young links. aka infinte recovery.
Nope, both of their advantages are equeal in their own right.... and again this "infinite recovery" you speak of will virtually never happen in a real fight. Believe me.

Ryaneatworld

Smash Apprentice
No he doesn't, like Buzz said, it only works at like 400% and Link will never, ever last that long in the battle. Truthfully, the Bomb Jump sucks :p. How often do any Link players actually use it AND actually RECOVER back to the edge with it, honestly? It only hits Link into a juggle state which in turn will probably get him murdered before he hits the stage.

Exactly, how does this give him "better potential" hmmm? You need to have better reasoning to make statements like this.
Link DOES have an infinte recovery at ANY time using bomb jumps. if bomb jumping correctly you can effectively double your recovery range with only one bomb jump. A good link player always has a bomb out for this reason and for others. You obviously havent seen good Link players who can bomb jump and use it correctly, because it is very useful.

Top Bottom