• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why choose Pikachu?

N64

Smash Champion
His upsmash is not the best in the game. It is the strongest, not best. Fox's is still better because of its range and since it maintains its power throughout the whole arc, whereas pika's sucks if the person is not in front of him when hit.

I hate how much people make that mistake.

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
His upsmash is not the best in the game. It is the strongest, not best. Fox's is still better because of its range and since it maintains its power throughout the whole arc, whereas pika's sucks if the person is not in front of him when hit.

I hate how much people make that mistake.
Okay then, let me rephrase that:

Pikachu's upsmash is the most powerful uncharged upsmash in the game.

Is that better?

animan

Smash Cadet
well pikachu is th greatest character in smash love is quick attack, up smash is the best, and has very attacks all around. and he is the ****

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
anther...it is my smash bros. dream to be half as good as you one day. from watching rudechu and most of your other videos, i've already been inspired to learn to sweetspot with pikachu's quick attack and i've been trying to incorporate it into my play...though it usually means a few lost stocks for me lol

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
I think we all can become masterful of Pikachu if we show dedication, time and practice the chu and all will become clear.

There are times when I mess up a forward moving quick attack I was doing by pressing >b instead of ^b.
Spotdodging worked miracles for me in most situations.

Vaseline

Smash Cadet
It is because of Anther's flashy quick attacking specialty that I gained so many SD's in one month. I love watching his videos, but I hate failing when I try to imitate them lol.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
It is because of Anther's flashy quick attacking specialty that I gained so many SD's in one month. I love watching his videos, but I hate failing when I try to imitate them lol.
yeah happens to me a lot too. though i have gotten a few nice KO's with that quick-attack-sweet-spot-ledge-hog. got me some cool points in smash =)

Vaseline

Smash Cadet
yeah happens to me a lot too. though i have gotten a few nice KO's with that quick-attack-sweet-spot-ledge-hog. got me some cool points in smash =)
I can do that about 3/5 times, but it never comes into play when I play someone =[. Although, I did get it once on my brother's Link but that was it.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
I can do that about 3/5 times, but it never comes into play when I play someone =[. Although, I did get it once on my brother's Link but that was it.
heh, yeah...just comes with practice i suppose...might not work if you're too nervous about the match thoug(which sometimes i tend to be...for some reason). but whatever...i'm sure it'll get better with time. who agrees that this is the coolest thing about pikachu, and thus a great reason to use him lol (sweetspot ledge hogging)?

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu and Yoshi are my favorite characters. No reason...it's hard to explain why I like both so much.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Pikachu and Yoshi were two powerful characters in SSB64 and then their abilities and other things were just stripped away from them. Shame, ain't it?

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
Yes, quick attack edgehogging has scored me plenty of cool point from my friends and quite a bit of KOs on one of my friends falco, but there were times when I could have won the match just by simply edgeguarding him instead.

The Turtle

Smash Cadet
Why choose pikachu?

Top 10 reasons

10. Because he's a playable character

9. It's one of your safest bets at playing with mice O_o

8. Watching Falco players try to SHL past jolts

7. Cuz Falcon players love FD

6. He's a T.V. and movie star

5. Cuz pika's the only person Chuck Norris fears

4. Because u like showing people ur not only good with Ice Climbers

3. People are quicker to accept ur MM

2. Tail spike kills under 15% make little kids cry

1. T3h Sku11 B4sH 0wns j00!!!!111ONEjuan
what this guy said

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
YES! we have another pikachu convert!
lol up b offensively..dunno about that. as for using it to edgehog, since it has limited mobility, i think it has a lot to do with positioning...so the way i started out was that i first did the sweetspotting the way foxes and falcos do it with their phantasms. as for sweetspotting from the stage to the edge...i kinda just imagine it happening...i dont give any REAL thought to sweetspotting like that, otherwise, i mess up and SD XD. otherwise, i'd think you just memorize which positions pikachu can sweetspot from and how.

*waits for anther to reply*

N64

Smash Champion
edgehog upB from the stage is based on positioning. Stand where the first part of your upB will put you just off the stage, and you would fall to your death if you only used the first part. Then from this position, quick attack straight out and then diagonally towards the stage and down. Make sure after you input the second quick attack direction you don't hold down at all, this will cause you to fall past the edge and die. Just let go of the control stick and pika should catch the edge.

As far as upBing offensively as a damage builder, it can be used but it's not especially safe or useful. While it is quick and goes a fair distance, it does like 3 damage. Also it doesn't have especially good priority, it's just somewhat difficult to intercept because of its speed. There's also litterally no stun to it, so an opponent can move again just a few frames after getting hit. If you do use it, it can be useful for catching the opponent offguard and giving them something else to potentially watch out for, make sure you jump very slightly before quick attacking straight over. If you quick attack straight from the ground, or quick attack too high off the ground, there will be a considerable and very punishable amount of lag upon landing. If you jump slightly before it though, there's very little lag.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Sometimes if I screw up an offstage tailspike and knock them up, quick attacking through them onto stage or sweetspot will sometimes throw them off enough to screw up their second jump or up b.

Stand where the first part of your upB will put you just off the stage
Is that the only position you can quickattack into sweetspot from the stage?

I also have a question for pros about quick attack. Are you able to pull off quickattacks in between the diagnal and main directions (i.e. 1/16th of a turn) consistently? If so how do you do this or practice?

N64

Smash Champion
There's a fair amount of leniency in where you can quick attack to the edge from the stage with pika, maybe 2-3 pikalengths (foot to head). That seriously should be a unit of measure. The closer you are to the edge initially though, the more precise you have to be with the direction of the second part of your quick attack.

Also yeah, there are only 16 directions you can quickattack in.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
It's so hard to do the 16th directionals (i.e. The non-diagnols or up,down,left,right)! How can you be so precise with such a quick attack?

N64

Smash Champion
Just practice. Hold the controller in your hands and mimic the quick attack motion. Make sure the control stick ends up where you want it every time, in the middle of two of the vertices on the octagon that surrounds the control stick. Just practice this until you feel pretty comfortable with it, practice a variety of first part to second part directions, then go into practice mode and try it out. It should be fairly noticable when you get it. Just practice practice until it comes naturally.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Why choose pikachu?

Because before the match people say: thats pikachu...? wtf?

And after the match people say: thats pikachu...? wtf?

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Just practice. Hold the controller in your hands and mimic the quick attack motion. Make sure the control stick ends up where you want it every time, in the middle of two of the vertices on the octagon that surrounds the control stick. Just practice this until you feel pretty comfortable with it, practice a variety of first part to second part directions, then go into practice mode and try it out. It should be fairly noticable when you get it. Just practice practice until it comes naturally.
I feel like making a vid of this, maybe Anther should. He can sweet spot better than I can.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Holy cow, I just started quick attack edgehogging. This is freaking awesome. Man, this and learning how to tailspike (especially kills) consistently have made me glad I started playing smash again :D .

And tutorials are always welcome to noobs like me.

I never realized pika's second quick attack was slightly shorter than his first until now. Why I like QA edgehog is because you can basically quickattack sweetspot from the edge of the stage (havent tried it on non-flat edges) to whatever the length of his quick attack is because of that. Although I've found doing a shallow diagnol is always better when doing this unless you're at the very edge, it isnt quite as hard to hit the shallow QA as I thought it was. Still need to practice though XD . Anyways, I basically wrote this so the people who actually know this can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anther

Smash Champion
The second one is only shorter if you go left/right on the ground, But the reason it seems that way is because it cancels on the ground as you're going back in the other direction, because you gain a miniscule amount of height from it, even though you're going back in the same direction..

Anyways what I'm getting at is that I really think that they both go the same distance =X

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Ah, that helps. I was doing left/right off stage and grabbing the edge.

I read somewhere that if you let go of the joystick before you do you second quick attack, it makes it longer. Is that true?

woah42

Smash Cadet
Pikachu is awesome.

I also play him because seeing all the Foxes, Falcos and Sheiks are getting boring. I play him to see something new and awesome in a low tier character.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Pikachu's my favorite mouse-type thing (don't tell Mickey Mouse).

BTW you Pikachu guys are lucky, if i did a thread like this on the Roy boards, I'd get tons and tons of spam and flames.

Top Bottom