• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why buy the Wii u version?

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Was the price of the pro controller added into that equation? (if you are part of the 1% who doesn't own a wiimote + nunchuck already or you prefer to not use it in smash bros)
I'm probably gonna wanna get one of them fancy pro controllers. Not that using the wiichuck would be an issue.
I thought were talking about the casuals here, casuals don't care about the pro controller.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
And casuals don't give a sh$# about the price. If money was an issue Skylanders wouldn't be flyin off the muthaf$#@$#% shelves.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Even still, the Wii U+Smash gives you a much better value no matter which way you try to slice it. It's unfair to use the deluxe model Wii U in this kinda comparison anyway, it comes with a full retail game and other accessories. If you use the basic model Wii U plus Smash it's only $360.
You do realize they are discontinuing the basic in most places, GameStop most notable.iwata has already said that more people are going for delux.

You shouldn't assume what version will be the better experience yet. If the Wii u got a $70 price cut, maybe. As it stands It is indeed cheaper to buy two 3ds systems and 1 smash to download play.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
You do realize they are discontinuing the basic in most places, GameStop most notable.iwata has already said that more people are going for delux.

You shouldn't assume what version will be the better experience yet. If the Wii u got a $70 price cut, maybe. As it stands It is indeed cheaper to buy two 3ds systems and 1 smash to download play.

I'd be hard pressed to think that a handheld can give a better experience than home console for Smash Bros. And this is coming from the guy who isn't getting a Wii U.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord

1. Download Play is quite likely to limit what you can do in smash but since this isn't really something we know much about yet I'll just leave it at that
2. In your hypothetical situation maybe, but if we add more people to this equation it instantly starts stacking up in the wii u's favor.
3. Though it is true we will not be able to discover which version will be better just yet and the 3DS certainly does have its advantages like the lower prices for individual consoles and portability but wii u has its advantages too such as:
A. a large amount of controller options which in theory would mean you'd be more likely to find a controller to suit your taste and no matter which way you cut it stuff like the pro controller simply provides more options, the 3DS has about as many buttons as the wiimote+nunchuck controller unless you buy a circle pad pro.
B. Better graphics on a larger screen, smash does great as a party game and the way I see it it's better to have a bunch of people share one large screen then keeping to themselves staring at their individual small screens
C. Ummm other stuff that may or may not end up happening, who knows maybe the stage list on the wii u version is better xD

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
1. Download Play is quite likely to limit what you can do in smash but since this isn't really something we know much about yet I'll just leave it at that
2. In your hypothetical situation maybe, but if we add more people to this equation it instantly starts stacking up in the wii u's favor.
3. Though it is true we will not be able to discover which version will be better just yet and the 3DS certainly does have its advantages like the lower prices for individual consoles and portability but wii u has its advantages too such as:
A. a large amount of controller options which in theory would mean you'd be more likely to find a controller to suit your taste and no matter which way you cut it stuff like the pro controller simply provides more options, the 3DS has about as many buttons as the wiimote+nunchuck controller unless you buy a circle pad pro.
B. Better graphics on a larger screen, smash does great as a party game and the way I see it it's better to have a bunch of people share one large screen then keeping to themselves staring at their individual small screens
C. Ummm other stuff that may or may not end up happening, who knows maybe the stage list on the wii u version is better xD

I'll give you a preview of the response you'll get:

But, it's cheaper, portable, and only needs one copy to play! You have no proof it won't be a better experience on 3DS!

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
As it stands It is indeed cheaper to buy two 3ds systems and 1 smash to download play.
The basic is still available to purchase in some places so that statement is untrue... And even so, people are buying the deluxe bundle because it's a better value than the basic model. So tell me, if the deluxe bundle is a better value than the basic model, and the basic + Smash is a better value than two 3ds systems and 1 smash to download play, then how is the deluxe + Smash not a better value than two 3ds systems and 1 smash to download play? Answer: It is a better value. For only $30 more you get a full retail game that normally costs $60 (Nintendo Land), extra memory and extra accessories. Plus you can go up to 4 players at no extra cost, unlike the 3DS.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
One Wii U deluxe = $350
+ Nintendo Land (Costs $60 at retail)= $0
+ 4x memory of basic model = $0
+ GamePad Cradle, GamePad Stand, Console Stand = $0
+ Smash (Up to for players at no extra cost) = $410

One Wii U basic = $300
+ Smash (Up to for players at no extra cost) = $360

Two 3DS systems = $340
+ One copy of Smash (Two players through download play) = $380

In terms of value:
Deluxe + Smash > Basic + Smash > Two 3DSs + Smash

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Still love Swiss tournaments on the 3DS.

How's about this: both have advantages and disadvantages that make them optimal experiences for different people?

/thread

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Still love Swiss tournaments on the 3DS.

How's about this: both have advantages and disadvantages that make them optimal experiences for different people?

/thread
This would certainly be a fair assessment. But I am an uneducated idiot would you care to elaborate on the concept of swiss tournaments why they're good and why only the 3DS version can have them? :p

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
One Wii U deluxe = $350
+ Nintendo Land (Costs $60 at retail)= $0
+ 4x memory of basic model = $0
+ GamePad Cradle, GamePad Stand, Console Stand = $0
+ Smash (Up to for players at no extra cost) = $410

One Wii U basic = $300
+ Smash (Up to for players at no extra cost) = $360

Two 3DS systems = $340
+ One copy of Smash (Two players through download play) = $380

In terms of value:
Deluxe + Smash > Basic + Smash > Two 3DSs + Smash
Don't forget that even the Zombie U pack has an extra pro controller for the same price as the Nintendo Land pack.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Because you will be able to play w/o going all "Wtf was that ****? Stupid controls! What's happening? I can't even see ffs!"

The thought of fighting a skilled Olimar on that small screen makes me throw up i bit in my mouth.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I am not gonna get the Wii U version. The only reason I would play it would be if a friend gets it, or if my family gets a Wii U, and Smash will be the only game I would want to play on that console. 3DS is what I am sticking with, and I would rather play it on that than a Wii U. This is only my preference, and I don't believe that it is the right way to look at it.

That being said, I would like to say that neither version is gonna be better than the other. Sure, one has this, and the other has that, but this is all opinion. The 3DS will have more people using it, but the Wii U is more of a party game (there are other stuff too, but I am too lazy to write it all). Also, lets say money doesn't matter. It just depends on what you want.

It could be how your life is. If you are usually away from your house, the 3DS would be a better fit. If you are usually at home, the Wii U would be better. I don't see why graphics are much of a problem. It never seems to come up in a Melee VS Brawl argument, so why bring it up here?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lol, there's no way Smash is gonna have download play. Did Mario Kart 7 or Kid Icarus: Uprising have it? No. So two smash copies.
What? Really? I could have sworn they did.... This is news to me....

The only 3DS game I know doesn't have download play is Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.... :/

Edit: Yeah Mario Kart 7 does have Download Play. Kid Icarus Uprising apparently doesn't which I apparently never noticed...

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Lol, there's no way Smash is gonna have download play. Did Mario Kart 7 or Kid Icarus: Uprising have it? No. So two smash copies.

Mario Kart 7 has it, Kid Icarus doesn't. But Smash probably will be more memory intensive, so I wouldn't be surprised if they skip it.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I say get the wii u versin because what many of you are failing to notice is that smash isnt the ONLY wii u game
What about the next new zelda, mario kart 8, tropical freeze, yarn yoshi, X, pikmin 3, mario 3d world, windwaker hd, rayman legends, sonic lost world and plenty of unannounced games

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I thought the discussion ended when we all figured out both games have advantages and disadvantages, and you should pick the one better suited for you?

/thread (again :p )

Seriously people, BOTH games have good, bads, advantages, and disadvantages. Pick what is best for you and buy it. That's the answer here.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I thought the discussion ended when we all figured out both games have advantages and disadvantages, and you should pick the one better suited for you?

/thread (again :p )

Seriously people, BOTH games have good, bads, advantages, and disadvantages. Pick what is best for you and buy it. That's the answer here.
Or... You know....

Okay I'll stop now. :p

Renji64

Smash Lord
Smash will always be a console experince for me playing on a tv with friends and online the 3ds isn't on my radar if i do get it for 3ds it will be just when i'm at school.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Nothing beats the feeling of sitting in front of the TV with your friends, just smashing around and having fun. The 3DS is a good handheld console, but other than the fact that it looks like the 3DS version is slower and the graphics of course aren't as nifty there's just a bigger community for Smash in the console world. It's also so much easier to bring your friends over to play Smash Bros and just play on a single console, instead of having each one buy a 3DS for it, that quickly becomes much more expensive than buying a single Wii U. I personally will have no use for the 3DS version other than taking it with me on trips, besides that no one else I know has a 3DS or plans to get one for Smash Bros, not even my brother who I primarily play Smash with, so for me it's actually necessary to get the Wii U version to get any fun out of it, plus there's a lot of great Wii U games on the horizon too, not to mention recently released ones like Pikmin 3, so Smash Bros certainly isn't the only reason to buy a Wii U, just as well as it isn't the only reason to buy a 3DS.

To me, Smash Bros will always be a console experience, and while it's wrong of me to view the 3DS version as nothing but a bonus that's just how I view it, it just seems less exciting in pretty much every way.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Wii U Smash is likely to come out several months before the 3DS version, and timed exclusivity means a lot to a starved fanbase. Also, it is cheaper in the long run, you just need one console and one game as opposed to needing 4 consoles and 4 copies or Smash.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned, but Smash is really hard on controllers at a competitive level...

I went through like 6 or 7 GCN controllers throughout Melee... So having the pro controller $30-50 as opposed to having to buy a whole new 3ds is reason enough..

Not to mention being easier to see, easier to control, better graphics, likely better multiplayer options, etc.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
Reasons:
-The multiplayer aspect for casuals.
(Assuming that you don't already have a Wii U or 3DS. If you want to play the new smash bros. with some friends what are you going to do? By a wii u so that all of you can play together with you, or expect all of your friends to buy a 3DS so that you can play with you...?)
-Online Play
(Self-explaintory)
-Graphics
(although they dont really matter to causals there a big decision.)

Lastly I know 2 different people that are buying a Wii U only for Smash Bros. Im sure there are others out there with the same mind set. I bought a Wii U for Smash Bros. every-other game I get is just a Bonus IMO.

Top Bottom