• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why buy the Wii u version?

nessokman

Smash Lord
I would have probably prioritized the Wii U version as well if I owned a Wii U but currently I don't but I do have a 3DS XL so I'm currently anticipating the 3DS version. (Although that can change if I do get my hands on the Wii U before the games come out.)
So what you mean is ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
The Wii U actually isn't that bad, I think people are just impatient and hate waiting for the games. When the good games and such start coming out the Wii U gonna be jumpin. Also while the 3ds smash looks amazing, the Wii U's stunning HD looks great for smash. Not to mention the Wii U does need some sales and buying the console does help out Nintendo a little.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Because the Wii U has multiplayer that doesn't require all your friends to buy their own console and a copy of the game? The Wii U version will most likely have more content? Runs at 60FPS? Has superior graphics? The Wii U also has plenty of games coming out that casual audiences will also play, and all of thee will already be out by the time Smash is released?
Pretty much this. Smash's biggest draw is that it's a multi-player game fun for groups of people to play together. For Smash 3DS every person would need to own a 3DS and the game but even that concept aside it's just more fun to play multi-player games on a big screen than it is on a small one. Also as others have pointed out the 3DS version might get uncomfortable after long periods of time and when I play with groups of friends we'll often play for awhile.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm not going to take the 3DS version seriously as I will with the Wii U version. Plus, I want both, because I collect Smash games. I still have the first original copy for crying out loud.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Who would spend $350 for a console just for smash?
I bought a Wii U just for Smash.

Everyone and their grandma has a 3ds, so why put out $350 for a Wii u?
I don't have a 3DS and I don't intend to buy one.

While you COULD say "It has different stages", but to casuals it doesn't matter. Casuals are who really matter, and when they already have one system they would rather get the 3DS version.
Casuals would also rather play their friends' games instead of each having to buy a copy, and you can't all play one 3DS copy of Smash.

Even if people don't have a 3ds and are waiting for smash it is cheaper to buy a 3ds and smash.
Is it cheaper for two siblings/friends to each buy a 3DS and a copy of smash? I'll bet it isn't.

But this game needs to sell, and the 3ds is the better platform. The Wii u has two big(ER) series on it being pikmen and NSMBU. Why buy a console with no games when you can get a 3ds and-
Monster hunter
Kid icarus
Luigis mansion
Mario kart 7
NSMB2
3D land
SMT IV
Animal crossing
Paper mario
Fire emblem
OOT 3D
Star fox 64 3D.
As people have already stated, by the time Smash is out, the Wii U will already have plenty of other games.

Explain to me again why smash bros U.
Why not?

nessokman

Smash Lord
I bought a Wii U just for Smash.

I don't have a 3DS and I don't intend to buy one.

Casuals would also rather play their friends' games instead of each having to buy a copy, and you can't all play one 3DS copy of Smash.

Is it cheaper for two siblings/friends to each buy a 3DS and a copy of smash? I'll bet it isn't.

As people have already stated, by the time Smash is out, the Wii U will already have plenty of other games.

Why not?
Let me use numbers, you can't argue numbers.

Lets say me and my sister ( she hates games but for example) want to play smash. A regular 3Ds costs $170 and a game costs $40. So

$170+$170=340
$340+40=$380

Total price:$380

Wii U-
$350+60=$410

Total price: $410

Conclusion- you can buy two regular 3ds systems for the price of the Wii U. Also, you end up saving $30, and that can be put toward getting a new game. This is of course assuming you use download play.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I never really thought of the "everyone needs a 3DS to play, or only one needs one Wii U for everyone to play" thing. Makes sense.

Lets say me and my sister ( she hates games but for example) want to play smash. A regular 3Ds costs $170 and a game costs $40. So

$170+$170=340
$340+40=$380

Wii U-
$350+60=$410

Conclusion- you can buy two regular 3ds systems for the price of the Wii U. Also, you end up saving $30, and that can be put toward getting a new game. This is of course assuming you use download play.
But what if it's more than one person? That would cost MUCH more than 4 players on a Wii U vs 4 players on a 3DS. Plus the Wii U's graphics quality is better.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I never really thought of the "everyone needs a 3DS to play, or only one needs one Wii U for everyone to play" thing. Makes sense.

But what if it's more than one person? Plus the Wii U's graphics quality is better.
Read that again, its for 2 people

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Oh look! A Melee vs Brawl thread... HOLD THE PHONE!

We're doing this and the games aren't even out yet!?!?!?

Man... Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them huh?

(P.S. 3DS can do Swiss brackets, cool stuff!)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So does this mean we are going to get 3DS vs Wii U debates for years to come as successors of the Melee vs Brawl debates once the new games come out? :/

Then again, it already started.... :T

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You nailed it.
I can already imagine it.

"3DS IS PORTABLE! IT IS CHEAPER!"
"WII U HAS HD GRAPHICS! IT HAS A BIGGER SCREEN!"

Oh gosh.... >_> Well as Ike said: "Prepare yourself!"

Well me and "Why don't we have both?" girl are going to enjoy both versions and not care what anyone says. ^_^

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman

$170+$170=340
$340+40=$380

Wii U-
$350+60=$410

I Bought my Wii U for only 150 euros, new in store, so for me it would cost 210 euros which is a lot less than having to buy 2 3dses...

Sashimi

Smash Ace
So two people would save money playing smash on the 3DS, especially if you don't already own a Wii-mote for player 2. I'll give you that. But any more than two people...

Also, this only works for two specific people. So two siblings would save money. But if they bought a Wii U, sibling #1 could play with sibling #2 or anyone else.

And don't forget that the term "casuals" includes the people who only play games in groups, and smash is a great party game. For those people, it's really not worth the cost of everyone buying a 3DS just so they can all get together and play smash.

Which of these do you think the party-gamers prefer?
"My little brother just bought a Wii U, let's go play Smash Bros on it!"
Or:
"Let's chip in and buy a Wii U so we can play the new Smash Bros!"
Or:
"We're going to play the new Smash Bros, but you can't play because you didn't buy a 3DS!"

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I will buy a Wii U just for Smash (when it has been released). Reason: I want to experience Smash on the big screen, like all the other Smash games. Smash Bros. for Wii U is to me the real successor to Brawl, while Smash Bros. for 3DS is a bonus that certainly will be good as well, but not superior to the home console experience.

Buying a console for one game is pretty stupid, I admit it. Luckily, Nintendo makes some of the best games on the market. I will pick up Pikmin 3 and Mario Kart 8. Maybe Super Mario 3D World.

Eventually, a new Zelda will be released, which is a system seller itself.

Hopefully, Nintendo makes a new F-Zero (that would be the best thing to happen) and a new Metroid.

Nevertheless, I have confidence in Nintendo releasing great software during Wii U's lifecycle.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
Why not? You underestimate the amount and quality of the games coming out alongside Smash U. The Wii U version has better visuals so far at the very least, and I'd expect it'd have a better Internet system seeing as though it's the more powerful of the two hardware-wise. Plus, it'd be very nostalgic. I remember sitting on the couch and enjoying a great game of Brawl. Now it's only good for tournaments, training, and laggy online (which is perfectly reasonable, the game's been out for seven years and has fulfilled it's purpose). This game will revive that feeling, especially on the home console. Also, it'd be perfect for tournaments or even regular competition. No need for Internet, no need for multiple systems, just whip out the game and play. The 3DS version is great as well, but the Wii U version is a must-have for me. Plus, this would help support Nintendo's Wii U sales. Besides, the character do appear a little more floaty in the 3DS version to me as well. It also appears a little less "fluid" than the Wii U version. I'll most likely end up buying both, though. The customization aspect of the 3DS seems interesting.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
BECAUSE THE WII U IS DOOMED I TELL YOU! DOOMEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
OK but seriously, I am PRIORITIZING the wii u version because of the reasons stated by everyone else, mind you I own both.
The wii u is not doomed its just having a bad start due to price and a lot of company's changed there minds about helping Nintendo with it it will get back on top eventually

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace

$170+$170=340
$340+40=$380

You did your math wrong. $380 is the price of TWO 3DS systems and ONE copy of Smash. In order for two people to play the game two copies of the game have to be bought, which is $80, not $40.

3DS -
$170+$170=$340
$40+$40=$80
$340+$80=$420

WiiU -
$350+$60=$410

Conclusion - The Wii U version of the game is a much better value. If you simply want 2 player multiplayer on either system, then buying a Wii U and Smash costs $10 less than buying two 3DSs and two copies of Smash. The Wii U version's value goes up the more players you add.

Like you said, you can't argue numbers

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
You did your math wrong. $380 is the price of TWO 3DS systems and ONE copy of Smash. In order for two people to play the game two copies of the game have to be bought, which is $80, not $40.

3DS -
$170+$170=$340
$40+$40=$80
$340+$80=$420

WiiU -
$350+$60=$410

Conclusion - The Wii U version of the game is a much better value. If you simply want 2 player multiplayer on either system, then buying a Wii U and Smash costs $10 less than buying two 3DSs and two copies of Smash. The Wii U version's value goes up the more players you add.

Like you said, you can't argue numbers
He did say "assuming you use download play" the only problem is that DS download play would likely be limiting your options

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Even still, the Wii U+Smash gives you a much better value no matter which way you try to slice it. It's unfair to use the deluxe model Wii U in this kinda comparison anyway, it comes with a full retail game and other accessories. If you use the basic model Wii U plus Smash it's only $360.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Your sarcasm detector must be malfunctioning I expected more from you S.O.B :p

I mean, he is a robot after all.

$170+$170=340
$340+40=$380
Wii U-
$350+60=$410

Why would you argue this if Smash is $40 on 3DS and $60 on Wii U? Since you're only going by money here and not relative to the content or console of the game, your whole argument can just be made up around "3DS is cheaper, therefore better".

You can't argue numbers by themselves because they mean next to nothing without something to back them up. Lest, why go PS4 when PS3 is cheaper? See what I mean? Numbers don't lie because they don't say anything on their own.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Even still, the Wii U+Smash gives you a much better value no matter which way you try to slice it. It's unfair to use the deluxe model Wii U in this kinda comparison anyway, it comes with a full retail game and other accessories. If you use the basic model a Wii U plus Smash it's only $360.
Well to be fair... Who buys the basic model any way? XD Do you know what else makes a great party game? NINTENDO LAND!

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Lets be realistic, and I know that is rare. Who would spend $350 for a console just for smash?Everyone and their grandma has a 3ds, so why put out $350 for a Wii u?

While you COULD say "It has different stages", but to casuals it doesn't matter. Casuals are who really matter, and when they already have one system they would rather get the 3DS version.

Even if people don't have a 3ds and are waiting for smash it is cheaper to buy a 3ds and smash. People who are "true fans" will buy both, of course.

But this game needs to sell, and the 3ds is the better platform. The Wii u has two big(ER) series on it being pikmen and NSMBU. Why buy a console with no games when you can get a 3ds and-
Monster hunter
Kid icarus
Luigis mansion
Mario kart 7
NSMB2
3D land
SMT IV
Animal crossing
Paper mario
Fire emblem
OOT 3D
Star fox 64 3D.

Explain to me again why smash bros U.
Well, first of all. SSB4 looks good in HD, and there are loads of good games on the Wii U

• Wind Waker U HD
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Sonic Lost World
  • Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze
  • Ducktales Remastered

Morbi

Scavenger
I never expected to see a thread like this... if you don't understand why currently, words cannot be articulated in the correct way to aid your understanding.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I have both systems, so it's not a matter of buying a system to play the game.
So if I already have a Wii U and 3DS, i really see no reason for me to get the 3DS version if the Wii U version will be more visually appealing and a far better experience (imo)

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Honestly, I'd get both systems, but I like playing games in HD and on a bigger screen, but that's just my preference.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Spent every last dime on a wii u out of smash bros hype, no money left for games...but at least I can use the gamepad to navigate smashboards!

Man I can't believe that everybody owns a 3DS now, I feel so left out. I wish they'd make some sorta contraption to play 3DS games on the wii u like what they did with the gamecube for gameboy and gameboy advance games.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Well to be fair... Who buys the basic model any way? XD Do you know what else makes a great party game? NINTENDO LAND!
Well, even if you buy the deluxe model instead of the basic model a game comes with it... a game that costs $60 in retail, essentially saving you at least $10. Like I said, no matter how you slice it buying the Wii U+Smash is a better value :)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Well, even if you buy the deluxe model instead of the basic model a game comes with it... a game that costs $60 in retail, essentially saving you at least $10. Like I said, no matter how you slice it buying the Wii U+Smash is a better value
Was the price of the pro controller added into that equation? (if you are part of the 1% who doesn't own a wiimote + nunchuck already or you prefer to not use it in smash bros)
I'm probably gonna wanna get one of them fancy pro controllers. Not that using the wiichuck would be an issue.

Top Bottom