• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Banning Tripping Should be Considered at Most National/Regional Brawl Tournaments

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
The problem is people won't know where to stop.

If we say tripping is stupid, unfair, etc then eventually people will say metaknight's tornado is broken, icy's infinite CG on everyone is ********, or snake's hitboxes are cheap, and we will start to reason why those should be nerfed or taken out of the game via hacking the wii. that's just saying "screw brawl, lets play brawl+". it's essentially the same thing.

suck it up, this is the official copy of the game that we play. play the game the way it was made, that's where the line has been drawn so don't cross it.

note: i didn't actually read every response to this thread, just the first page :)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The problem is people won't know where to stop.

If we say tripping is stupid, unfair, etc then eventually people will say metaknight's tornado is broken, icy's infinite CG on everyone is ********, or snake's hitboxes are cheap, and we will start to reason why those should be nerfed or taken out of the game via hacking the wii. that's just saying "screw brawl, lets play brawl+". it's essentially the same thing.

suck it up, this is the official copy of the game that we play. play the game the way it was made, that's where the line has been drawn so don't cross it.

note: i didn't actually read every response to this thread, just the first page :)
Wait, what? They're not at all the same. Tripping is a random event that occurs with 1% probability whenever a dash command is inputted. Everything else has 100% consistency. This is a concern on whether a potentially game-changing effectively uncontrollable random event should be removed for competitive play for pretty obvious reasons, not on whether something is broken or not.

ErikG

Smash Ace
Banning tripping because it is random means that you should want to alter Waddle Dee/Doo/Gordo toss, turnip pluck, green missile, and judgement (basically any move with a random element). All of these events happen randomly. The main argument of banning only tripping is because the one who inputted the command did not want it. The one who you're playing against wants you to trip. When you're hoping for your 9-hammer, I'm hoping for a 1. You know there is a risk when you chose to do these moves or dash.

Every argument for the removal of tripping makes it seem like every time you trip, you are guaranteed to lose your stock. Not every trip turns into 50% or death. You can trip when your opponent is getting star KO'd or the very beginning of a match before they can get to you, and it doesn't affect a thing.

There are times when my trip has saved me from getting hit by moves.

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
Wait, what? They're not at all the same. Tripping is a random event that occurs with 1% probability whenever a dash command is inputted. Everything else has 100% consistency. This is a concern on whether a potentially game-changing effectively uncontrollable random event should be removed for competitive play for pretty obvious reasons, not on whether something is broken or not.
I wasn't implying tripping was broken but I did compare it to something that arguably is because those are things that a lot of people believe do not belong in a competitive scene, which is the same argument that is being made here: "tripping cannot be controlled and could possibly change the outcome of a match ". Well tripping does favours certain characters like marth who lives off his spacing ability and a key part of it is his dash.

If tripping is such a threat to competitive play then MK's high priority tornado and snake's disjointed hitboxes are right up there as well.

Don't misinterpret my argument. I'm not pro-mk/snake ban, I'm just saying, tripping is a part of this game and if you are going to hack this game to make it more suitable for tournament play, it will spark a flood of arguments on other things that should be "fixed".

What would your argument be if someone suggested to hack the wii to make snake lighter? He's absurdly heavy for no logical reason, and we all know snake won't be holding on to 2nd place on the tier list if it weren't for his weight class.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
You guys do realize it's a part of the game and you need to deal with it, right?

There's some things that changing, modifying or banning aren't necessarily a bad thing. Banning someone from flying under the stage for eight minutes makes sense. It's not an actual game mechanic. There's no button that you press that makes you do that (nor is there one for tripping, but it's an intentional game mechanic, so that's irrelevant).

But, because tripping is an integral part of the game, you just have to deal with it. **** happens, that's the simple fact. **** happens to everyone and it'll happen to everyone eventually. That's how it works. If you don't like it, play another game.

Getting rid of tripping is getting rid of a part of the game that was not meant to be removed and was meant to be played in tune with. Take Gears of War 2, for example. The shotgun bullet spread can be random and irratic depending on the situation. So, sometimes, you may be two inches from someone and not kill them with an up-close shotgun blast, but in other times, you just may. Does that mean we ban the shotgun because of that? Or would be ban using walls for cover because there's a chance you may get stuck and unable to defend yourself?

Learn to play with it. It's not like stages where you can just ban them and use others. Stages give you other options because there is more than one stage. There is no other option in the game for tripping. It's just tripping. That's it. **** happens, deal with it.

JOE!

Smash Hero
@ vVv Rapture:

**** does happen, but in this case we have the tools to prevent said **** from happening, quite easily mind you.

so, where is your argument now, seeing as we dont have to deal with said **** if we dont want to?

Jo0

Smash Cadet
Tripping is the reason why I do a short hop before I run towards my opponent. For some reason it helps. :)

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
@ vVv Rapture:

**** does happen, but in this case we have the tools to prevent said **** from happening, quite easily mind you.

so, where is your argument now, seeing as we dont have to deal with said **** if we dont want to?
Well, by all means, avoid it.

I'm not trying to say that you can't remove it or that removing it is a bad thing, since I wouldn't mind. I'm just saying that it's really not too big of a deal, to be honest. I probably should have made that clearer previously, but regardless. I see what you mean.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
@ vVv Rapture:

Correction: we have out-of-game tools to prevent it from happening. If we had in-game tools, like the Random Stage select or the Item Frequency page, we'd be fine. But we don't. So we won't.

Because it's...

Not. Making. That. Big. Of. A. Difference.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Dude... I'm a philosophy major. You can't be a philosophy major if you can't argue a counterpoint to your own arguments; hell, you can't be a good debater if you can't argue counterpoint to your own arguments. Being able to argue counterpoint separates the people who blindly believe something from the people who, you know, actually think about their positions.

That being said, I've hacked my Wii to hell, and I'm still against hacks being a tournament standard; just because I can do something doesn't mean I'm going to force others to do it, too. At least, not without a **** good reason and incredibly good logic. As it stands now, tripping is statistically not a significant factor in enough of our history to warrant considering banning it. Plain and simple.
As much as me and Jack often disagree, I have to admit this is probably one of the best posts ever made on these forums.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I wasn't implying tripping was broken but I did compare it to something that arguably is because those are things that a lot of people believe do not belong in a competitive scene, which is the same argument that is being made here: "tripping cannot be controlled and could possibly change the outcome of a match ". Well tripping does favours certain characters like marth who lives off his spacing ability and a key part of it is his dash.

If tripping is such a threat to competitive play then MK's high priority tornado and snake's disjointed hitboxes are right up there as well.

Don't misinterpret my argument. I'm not pro-mk/snake ban, I'm just saying, tripping is a part of this game and if you are going to hack this game to make it more suitable for tournament play, it will spark a flood of arguments on other things that should be "fixed".

What would your argument be if someone suggested to hack the wii to make snake lighter? He's absurdly heavy for no logical reason, and we all know snake won't be holding on to 2nd place on the tier list if it weren't for his weight class.
Where did Ankoku say that tripping was broken? You never actually said anything related to what he said. He said that it was an "uncontrollable random event."

A random event is something that the players have no control over whatsover. It can affect what happens in the match, or it might not have any impact. Either way, it is a random event, and anything that is random in that way (will argue about that way in the next bit) makes skill less important.

Is Snake's up tilt broken? Yes. Is it controlled by the player? Yes. Is a controllable move a random event that makes skill with the character less important? No.

The same argument goes for items. Why practice doing a combo or anything else if a bomb can drop on you or your opponent and kill them?

There's some things that changing, modifying or banning aren't necessarily a bad thing. Banning someone from flying under the stage for eight minutes makes sense. It's not an actual game mechanic. There's no button that you press that makes you do that (nor is there one for tripping, but it's an intentional game mechanic, so that's irrelevant).

But, because tripping is an integral part of the game, you just have to deal with it. **** happens, that's the simple fact. **** happens to everyone and it'll happen to everyone eventually. That's how it works. If you don't like it, play another game.

Getting rid of tripping is getting rid of a part of the game that was not meant to be removed and was meant to be played in tune with. Take Gears of War 2, for example. The shotgun bullet spread can be random and irratic depending on the situation. So, sometimes, you may be two inches from someone and not kill them with an up-close shotgun blast, but in other times, you just may. Does that mean we ban the shotgun because of that? Or would be ban using walls for cover because there's a chance you may get stuck and unable to defend yourself?

Using Gears of War 2 as an example of a competitive game with random elements? I lol'd.

Shotgun bullet spread not killing your opponents has more to do with your aiming, the opponent's distance, lag, and hitboxes than being random. Getting stuck on walls sounds like a glitch.

Tripping is a truly random event that affects both players equally. Can Dedede randomly get a gordo with his side B? Yeah, he can, but that's part of the character. I can't use Pikachu's jab and have a gordo sometimes be thrown at my opponent, can I? Luck is sometimes an element for characters in fighting games. Take Game and Watch for example. His side B has an equal chance of any 9 attacks.

An attack that uses a random event (which you know will know will only happen if you use that move) is not equal to a game mechanic that randomly puts a player at a disadvantage.

Anyway, I still say that it should be up to the TO whether or not tripping is banned.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Correction: we have out-of-game tools to prevent it from happening. If we had in-game tools, like the Random Stage select or the Item Frequency page, we'd be fine. But we don't. So we won't.

Because it's...

Not. Making. That. Big. Of. A. Difference.
is this seriously the only thing preventing you from accepting it'd be cool to have tripping disabled? That its not a built-in feature?

And yes, its not too big a deal, but at the same time, what is the negative impact of taking something annoying out of the game that effects everyone?

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
is this seriously the only thing preventing you from accepting it'd be cool to have tripping disabled? That its not a built-in feature?

And yes, its not too big a deal, but at the same time, what is the negative impact of taking something annoying out of the game that effects everyone?
That it's not a built in feature AND it's not affecting the game enough to WARRANT obtaining / using an out-of-game feature to remove it.

You can't have one without the other. Is there an in-game feature for banning MK? No, but I'm still in favor of it because of (what I perceive to be) the immensely negative affect he has on the game / community. Along the same note, there are stages banned by the in-game Random Stage Select that should not be banned and so, even though we have the in-game method for doing so, I do not agree with their banning.

@ Thio: Though we may disagree, it's always a pleasure debating with you, man.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
That it's not a built in feature AND it's not affecting the game enough to WARRANT obtaining / using an out-of-game feature to remove it.

You can't have one without the other. Is there an in-game feature for banning MK? No, but I'm still in favor of it because of (what I perceive to be) the immensely negative affect he has on the game / community. Along the same note, there are stages banned by the in-game Random Stage Select that should not be banned and so, even though we have the in-game method for doing so, I do not agree with their banning.

@ Thio: Though we may disagree, it's always a pleasure debating with you, man.
I do have to say you make great arguments, and I agree with where you stand on this argument completely.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
^ *Cough* Sucking up *Cough*

@ Jack: Wait, are you saying you do not want tripping banned?
So you'd be okay with random tripping that can cost you stock?
and...
Yes, the
Random Stage Switch is random but you have a say in what stage you are going to. Where as tripping is uncontrollable. Random Stage switch doesn't cost you the match where as tripping can.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
^ *Cough* Sucking up *Cough*

@ Jack: Wait, are you saying you do not want tripping banned?
So you'd be okay with random tripping that can cost you stock?
and...
Yes, the
Random Stage Switch is random but you have a say in what stage you are going to. Where as tripping is uncontrollable. Random Stage switch doesn't cost you the match where as tripping can.
You're extrapolating his argument too far. He's not saying he doesn't want tripping removed, he is saying that the current methodology for removing tripping is one he does not agree with (And neither do I, for that matter).

I can liken your statement to people telling me that I like Ubisoft's current DRM scheme because I don't like them DDoSing the Ubisoft servers. Sure, their DRM is ludicrous, but that doesn't mean one should remove a paying customer's ability to play to make a point.

@Jack: Ditto.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
You're extrapolating his argument too far. He's not saying he doesn't want tripping removed, he is saying that the current methodology for removing tripping is one he does not agree with (And neither do I, for that matter).

I can liken your statement to people telling me that I like Ubisoft's current DRM scheme because I don't like them DDoSing the Ubisoft servers. Sure, their DRM is ludicrous, but that doesn't mean one should remove a paying customer's ability to play to make a point.

@Jack: Ditto.
This. Tripping is ********, has no redeemable positive effects, and is ********... but as it stands, we have to hack the game to remove it, and that's where I draw the line (quite boldly, I might add).

I am a HUGE fan / proponent of Balance Brawl, but a hack is a hack is a hack, and I cannot, in good conscience, seriously propose that a hack be used to fix a problem in Brawl, be it balance, or tripping, or anything. Honestly, I don't even really like it when people use their costume hacks (some of them blend in too much or have other positive/negative effects) or music hacks (hell, I could slip game changing codes in with the FPC) in a tournament.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
[COLOR="Plum[COLOR="Plum"]
Using Gears of War 2 as an example of a competitive game with random elements? I lol'd.

Shotgun bullet spread not killing your opponents has more to do with your aiming, the opponent's distance, lag, and hitboxes than being random. Getting stuck on walls sounds like a glitch.

Tripping is a truly random event that affects both players equally. Can Dedede randomly get a gordo with his side B? Yeah, he can, but that's part of the character. I can't use Pikachu's jab and have a gordo sometimes be thrown at my opponent, can I? Luck is sometimes an element for characters in fighting games. Take Game and Watch for example. His side B has an equal chance of any 9 attacks.

An attack that uses a random event (which you know will know will only happen if you use that move) is not equal to a game mechanic that randomly puts a player at a disadvantage.

Anyway, I still say that it should be up to the TO whether or not tripping is banned.[/COLOR]
No, shotgun bullet spread not killing your opponents has everything to do with the spread being random at times. People have tested it. Aiming at the exact same trajectory and distance has still proved to show different results for no explained reason other than it randomly not functioning like it should.

You would assume that the shotgun impact, in that situation, will always kill, because it logically should. Likewise, you would also assume that when you dash in Brawl that your character dashes like you intended.

The shotgun not doing its job because of randomness and a character not doing what you intend because of randomness...is not the same thing?

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
This. Tripping is ********, has no redeemable positive effects, and is ********... but as it stands, we have to hack the game to remove it, and that's where I draw the line (quite boldly, I might add).

I am a HUGE fan / proponent of Balance Brawl, but a hack is a hack is a hack, and I cannot, in good conscience, seriously propose that a hack be used to fix a problem in Brawl, be it balance, or tripping, or anything. Honestly, I don't even really like it when people use their costume hacks (some of them blend in too much or have other positive/negative effects) or music hacks (hell, I could slip game changing codes in with the FPC) in a tournament.
This is why I'm against it. Possibility of other codes being involved secretly as well. Even if they're not though, the whole mechanical statement of needing to hack the wii itself to remove something so small seems a bit outrageous. Tripping is part of the game, and it's something we as players need to deal and cope with. Yes we have the power and ability to remove it, and yes it's a pathetic aspect of the game, but it's not something outrageous enough to alter the game to the point where hacking a Wii for large tournament play is essential.

Veril

Frame Savant
A very legitimate concern that I believe hasn't been answered is:

How do you prevent people from adding in other codes with their hacked Wiis? This kinda brings up the issue of people using hacked Wiis for texture and music hacks for tournament in the first place.
Standardized codes, loaded onto each SD card by the TO or assistants. Other SD data can just be saved in a separate folder (quarantine), iirc this could cover custom stages (weak excuse is weak). Make sure they can't access cheat manager (just remove/quarantine it). Someone taking an SD card out of their wii, swapping codes on their computer, and rebooting the wii... is incredibly obvious. Way more obvious than say... most surgical rules in place currently (IDC ban). And if the tourney were so busy that somehow nobody noticed that, why would any TV be unused for so long that this would be possible?

In addition, any real cheating attempted would have to be carried out by the TO. Otherwise it wouldn't be certain to actually help the given player, since only the specifically hacked wii would benefit them and you don't always get to choose what TV you are playing on. If you tried to cheat on a wii on the spot... that just won't work unless the other player is completely clueless. Like in a coma. TO cheating is not an issue specific to hacks (bracket manipulation much?), regardless I have heard no actual cases of TO's cheating with mods AND I WOULD BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO KNOW. If a TO was ballzy enough to cheat in this way, there is always the chance someone would notice and what happens to them as a TO then?

TOs just need to be smart and make sure the contents of the SD card that are standardized. Its really not that hard.

Tripping is part of the game, and it's something we as players need to deal and cope with.
I responded to the secret codes bulls*** above. As to the quoted statement: pure opinion. You don't have to deal with tripping. Whether you should is based on opinion and not concrete fact. There are rules limiting what you have to deal with in brawl already, how many times you can grab the ledge, against IDC, against taking actions that crash the game like chain-jacketing without having a jacketable hitbox... and this definitely is in the same realm as banning DDD's infinite, as that is certainly part of the game. So, don't give me this "play the game as its meant to be played" crap. Brawl isn't a competitive game by nature. A system of rules and limitations on player action MAKE it more competitive. Hacking is a logical extension of this.

I personally don't care if vbrawl tournaments implement this or not. I'm just weighing in, cause deciding to include or remove tripping should be based on whether or not that is desirable from a competitive standpoint, not that it involves hacking.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The shotgun not doing its job because of randomness and a character not doing what you intend because of randomness...is not the same thing?
Then don't use the shotgun. It's exactly the same as using GnW's side B; you don't have to use it if you don't want to. That's part of the point of adding luck into a character's moves. It's there so you can choose to take the risk, not take the risk by doing something that is completely necessary to play.

Tripping is a random element that everyone has to deal with no matter what. Yes, you can choose not to dash, but you'll probably be beaten rather quickly.

Unless you plank as MK. >_>

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Can't believe that some people actually try to defend and justify this **** called tripping... lol
Not a single person in this thread has ever seriously defended tripping as necessary to the competitive environment.

People have said it's terrible. Some said it will inevitably kill Brawl. Some even said it's not that bad. But no one has seriously defended it as necessary to the game.

This thread never has been, nor will it ever be, about the validity of tripping. This thread has been and always will be about the viability of using hacking as a legitimate method of fixing inherent problems in Brawl's game design.

Now... everyone needs to stop asserting that anyone LIKES tripping. Besides Sakurai.

Well, if you are already hacking the game for infinite replay and texture, you might as well go a bit further for a single game mechanic change.
Now... everyone needs to stop asserting that anyone LIKES tripping. Besides Sakurai.
Everyone needs to stop blaming Sakurai for the development of Brawl. The truth is that he was in fact bonded agaisnt his will while other developers developed Brawl. Sakurai made melee, ninja developers who imprisoned Sakurai made Brawl. Praise Sakurai instead.

Veril

Frame Savant
Nobody is defending tripping, we're defending the concept of not hacking a game.
I just came here for the legality discussion and cause hacking is awesome.

The point on which I think most people agree is that tripping is significant, balance sensitive, and random but associated with a specific animation which is under the players control (you don't randomly dash). Removing it would alter matchups in ways that, theory-crafting aside, are made unpredictable by the complexity of this game.

Beyond a doubt, brawl without tripping would be a different game. It is not vBrawl, it is vBrawl without tripping.

Everyone needs to stop blaming Sakurai for the development of Brawl.
Lol... no. He has our money and already won. We have every right to call him out on the terrible mistakes made with this game. I respect the man for the amazing work he's done, but you can't ignore the faults in brawl.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Then don't use the shotgun. It's exactly the same as using GnW's side B; you don't have to use it if you don't want to. That's part of the point of adding luck into a character's moves. It's there so you can choose to take the risk, not take the risk by doing something that is completely necessary to play.

Tripping is a random element that everyone has to deal with no matter what. Yes, you can choose not to dash, but you'll probably be beaten rather quickly.

Unless you plank as MK. >_>
Okay, let me grab the other close-combat weapon in the game. Oh wait, there isn't one. In fact, it's the only gun of it's kind in the game. How interesting.

Everybody has to deal with the shotgun issue because everyone has to use it. You can't win in many situations without it, so your point is moot.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Well you don't really have to hack a wii anymore for no tripping.. I just don't see the point in it existing in this game really lol.
I'm sorry... what? You... don't have to hack...

What exactly are YOU talking about? Of course you have to hack. You have to run Ocarina codes, which involves using GeckoOS, which must be activated via HBC/Smash Stack... which are all code exploits, also know as...

...HACKS.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I'm sorry... what? You... don't have to hack...

What exactly are YOU talking about? Of course you have to hack. You have to run Ocarina codes, which involves using GeckoOS, which must be activated via HBC/Smash Stack... which are all code exploits, also know as...

...HACKS.
I'm sorry I'll rephrase, you don't have to install homebrew on the wii to use the hacks. :\ Just need the SD with the stuff on it. Sorry for being lazy as **** and not explaining that. :\

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
But once again, if you play that way, you need to take off all custom stages, which might be a problem for some people.

JOE!

Smash Hero
But once again, if you play that way, you need to take off all custom stages, which might be a problem for some people.
tournaments dont use Custom stages, and you can save them on your own SD card before offering your Wii for a tourney.

@Jack:

I dont see what the big deal is, its not like we're gonna dive in and ruin everything by running homebrew, and truning off tripping...

what is your grudge against hacks?

is it simply because the "devs" didnt slap their name on the work?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
tournaments dont use Custom stages, and you can save them on your own SD card before offering your Wii for a tourney.

@Jack:

I dont see what the big deal is, its not like we're gonna dive in and ruin everything by running homebrew, and truning off tripping...

As it is Nintendo evidently hasn't allowed MLG to stream Brawl. I doubt publicizing a hacked version of the game as the competitive standpoint would speak well of an organization the size of MLG.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Okay, let me grab the other close-combat weapon in the game. Oh wait, there isn't one. In fact, it's the only gun of it's kind in the game. How interesting.

Everybody has to deal with the shotgun issue because everyone has to use it. You can't win in many situations without it, so your point is moot.
And? From what I've seen of it, the shotgun is useless in most situations anyway.

You still have a choice to introduce random elements into that game with the shotgun. Do you have to use it? No, you do not.

As it is Nintendo evidently hasn't allowed MLG to stream Brawl.

What are you talking about? They haven't stated the reasons for not having a stream, and it likely has more to do with Brawl not being HD-capable than anything.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
@Jack:

I have no grudge against hacks. None at all. I LOVE hacking on the Wii; it allows the console to do so much that it SHOULD have been able to do from Day 1. I initially hacked only my parent's console in case homebrew turned out to be bricking systems (I'm talking, EARLY days of hacking), and haven't yet installed it on my Wii... and as it stands, I haven't actually played on MY Wii in over a year; I just used my parent's hacked Wii and never turn it on without running through BootMii first.

So, no. I have no quarrel with hacks, in and of themselves. That being said...

...they DO NOT belong in a serious, legitimate, competitive environment. You DO NOT hack games to fix them. If they do not offer you the tools to fix them legitimately, then play another game. If tripping is REALLY that big of a deal to you, play Street Fighter. You do NOT hack games to fix them. Under ANY circumstances. Ever. For any reason.

If items didn't have a spawn switch, and we needed to hack the game to remove them, I'd either play with them on or play a different game. If we needed to hack a timer onto Stock matches because the game didn't allow doubling up (or, as a corollary, if we needed to use stopwatches IRL), I'd either accept it or play another game. The INSTANT you allow hacks of any kind to enter your serious, legitimate, competitive environment, you give up every last shred of legitimacy and seriousness you worked so hard to get in the first place.

You can never have a sponsored tournament. You can never be in MLG. You can never tell the full truth to your venue manager. You can never hope for a partnership with your game maker. You can never be a real sport.

Because you are breaking the law and hacking your game.

If it is THIS BIG of a problem, then you need to play a different game. I can't stress enough the real world damage that could be done to any competitive community, be it Halo, Madden, GoW, or Brawl/Smash, that allows hacking to not only be commonplace, but officially mandated or sanctioned. You are better off, for the sake of the community, just leaving. Seriously. If you are actually, seriously, legitimately considering hacking tripping out of Brawl, just leave.

Because if you succeed...

You kill our sponsorships, our large venues, and our partnership with MLG.

EDIT @ Werekill: Check the MLG site / the MLG Discussion board, my man. Very clearly posted. MLG already said, flat out, that Nintendo is ****-blocking them from Live Streaming AND releasing recordings of matches.

EDIT @ Thio: ****it... Ninja'ed. >_<

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10055264&postcount=1

"In spite of out best efforts to get Nintendo to sign off, we were just not able to."
Ah, my bad, I was looking at the wrong thread. That really sucks. >_<

Anyway Jack, allowing a few tournies here and there to have hacks won't kill our sponsorships, etc. It's ridiculous to even attempt to use hacks (and controlling which hacks) on all the Wii's that would be at a large event.

Banning tripping is really up to the TO, and I have no problems with them doing it at smaller tournaments.

Top Bottom