• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I keep playing against the same people?

Nimrod20

Smash Rookie
NNID
Unkn0wnImage
Wow, thought I was the only one having this issue, glad to have found that others are suffering the same thing. I do agree that it may be some sort of ban, since I've been using a borderline offensive name online and been taunting quite a bit. All of the people I've been getting online are either really good, or spammers who taunt way too much, and I always get the same people. If this is a ban, why don't we get a warning or whatever? It's ridiculous.

Marty20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MartyTiti
3DS FC
5455-9421-4760
Hello,

This is why I do not now if it is a ban, because we do not even receive a message which tell us "You have been banned for...". Anyway, this is annoying.

Bye.

Nimrod20

Smash Rookie
NNID
Unkn0wnImage
Has anyone come up with a fix for this? Cause I'm tired of fighting complete ****s..

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
Hey guys just an update, I made it out after a week and a day, I just stayed respectful and limited my taunting.it's defenately a ban,lol, just accept it , it sux but yea it's a good way to keep people from spamming and if they keep spamming they can stay in that hell hole lol and now I've had lots of practice w spammers and know how to counter it w/o spamming back

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Just checked and I'm outta there, too. Thank goodness.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I tried calling customer support. They weren't helpful like usual. They know nothing about any of the games.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Hello.

It seems I've recently fallen victim to this "Purgatory" myself. I'm not sure why, though. I suppose players report me for the way I play, which is very defensive and exploitative. As of about 15 minutes ago, I've been unable to find any players to play. When I do find someone, they're almost always Japanese, which leads to a somewhat laggy fight.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Hello.

It seems I've recently fallen victim to this "Purgatory" myself. I'm not sure why, though. I suppose players report me for the way I play, which is very defensive and exploitative. As of about 15 minutes ago, I've been unable to find any players to play. When I do find someone, they're almost always Japanese, which leads to a somewhat laggy fight.
I was quite suspicious of that being a reason. It's how I play, too. If that's true, that's really unfair to how some characters need to play in order to do their best. I guess all I can suggest is wait it out by not going online at all. It seems to last about a week if they don't see any reason to keep you there.

Last edited:

carlos11

Smash Cadet
Just stopped by to check on y'all. Glad to see some of you are finally unbanned. And let's call this Smash hell.

Has anyone here been banned for significantly longer than a week? I've been telling people that, more often than not, that's how long it takes to get unbanned.

Nimrod20

Smash Rookie
NNID
Unkn0wnImage
I've finally been let out of this stupid thing after a week. I'm guessing it's a one-week ban for having an inappropriate name, or spamming or something.

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I got banned yesterday and am still banned today. I can confirm that the reason I was banned was for using offensive name tags. So from what I understand, this ban lasts about a week? Can we all try to raise awareness for this, I think this should be on the front page.

Sincerely,

A recent resident of Smash Hell.

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have another update for you. I'm banned from the Wii U version and not the 3DS one. This must mean that it's linked to the console and not the Network ID. Maybe this can help. Anyone on 3ds banned?

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Hey all, I got banned yesterday and am still banned today. I can confirm that the reason I was banned was for using offensive name tags. So from what I understand, this ban lasts about a week? Can we all try to raise awareness for this, I think this should be on the front page.

Sincerely,

A recent resident of Smash Hell.
... You shouldn't be using offensive or instigating tags in the first place.

carlos11

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I have another update for you. I'm banned from the Wii U version and not the 3DS one. This must mean that it's linked to the console and not the Network ID. Maybe this can help. Anyone on 3ds banned?
Yes, you are correct. When I was banned last month, the first thing I tried to figure out was the method used to ban. It could be based on IP, NNID, or the console. I ruled out the first two possibilities, which basically confirms that what is banned is the console.

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
... You shouldn't be using offensive or instigating tags in the first place.
Maybe if Nintendo doesn't want me making my name Daterapist and Chode they should not allow for me to enter those names, or at least give me a message telling me not to do it. Sending me to purgatory isn't really the nicest thing to do.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Maybe if Nintendo doesn't want me making my name Daterapist and Chode they should not allow for me to enter those names, or at least give me a message telling me not to do it. Sending me to purgatory isn't really the nicest thing to do.
Using offensive names isn't the nicest thing to do either.

carlos11

Smash Cadet
Uh, if you don't think what you did was wrong, then you deserve to go to Smash hell and stay there. If you don't think what you did was wrong, then surely you won't mind playing with the residents of Smash hell. You'll find them to be endearing.

If there's one thing to take from all of this banland stuff it's that we all need to respect the people we play with online and stop being so toxic.

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
Uh, if you don't think what you did was wrong, then you deserve to go to Smash hell and stay there. If you don't think what you did was wrong, then surely you won't mind playing with the residents of Smash hell. You'll find them to be endearing.

If there's one thing to take from all of this banland stuff it's that we all need to respect the people we play with online and stop being so toxic.
No. I'm a Super Chode and I'm going to name myself as much so ten year olds can learn a new word. I'm educating the masses. I do not belong in Smash Hell, I'm a hero. All should worship me for my great acts of heroism. Soon you will see why I am such a hero. I am currently working on Smash combo video, in which I revolutionize the Wario meta. Soon you will all see what it means to be a true Chode.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Been banned for over a week now. No sign of ever getting out.

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
Just got out tonight. I was still banned at around 12 and 4, but at about 9:30 I was out of the banland. Hope this info helps and hope you guys get out too. No one deserves to play those campers ;_;

JTWStephens

Smash Rookie
NNID
JTWStephens
3DS FC
0662-4104-9596
I've been stuck in FG Hell for a few days now. I have two tags: JACOB and :)

When someone gets salty and starts spewing hate, I just switch to the smiley face and wait them out.

This is just an automated popularity system, which is pretty silly, since I have no way to stop the game from trying to pair me up the same 4 Japanese players. The mode itself has been effectively removed for me, without warning or provocation.

Awfully dumb, Nintendo.

Mr Kleinlich

Smash Rookie
I've been stuck in FG Hell for a few days now. I have two tags: JACOB and :)

When someone gets salty and starts spewing hate, I just switch to the smiley face and wait them out.

This is just an automated popularity system, which is pretty silly, since I have no way to stop the game from trying to pair me up the same 4 Japanese players. The mode itself has been effectively removed for me, without warning or provocation.

Awfully dumb, Nintendo.
Yeah that's how it works, same players, most laggy or adopting an extremely defensive play-style. You just gotta wait it out, takes about a week.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I'm suspicious that you end up quarantined just by changing names frequently -- Nintendo may not bother to check the appropriateness of the names.

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
Hello to you all.

I'm in this situation again, just to tell you :

Since the 14th June (thanks to the update) I was able to play again normally, in all modes. I was suspicious if it was a ban after all, on my miiverse post we found some explanations about the reports. Since yesterday, I'm having this issue again. I was playing in fun mode, then "A communication error has occured.", I tried to play again, but I am here one more time. So, like I was saying, I was playing really, really carefully. I didn't do anything, not even used my name tags to talk. (In one week, what can I do...) I'm still thinking it's a glitch.

It's really getting annoying.

I'm suspicious that you end up quarantined just by changing names frequently -- Nintendo may not bother to check the appropriateness of the names.
This is interesting. Because I frequently changed my nametag to use the one my girlfriend pick.
(Mine is Aohitsu, her is Yuno, nothing rude)

The other option we found is that if you got reported, even for no reasons, you're done for.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
Hello to you all.

I'm in this situation again, just to tell you :

Since the 14th June (thanks to the update) I was able to play again normally, in all modes. I was suspicious if it was a ban after all, on my miiverse post we found some explanations about the reports. Since yesterday, I'm having this issue again. I was playing in fun mode, then "A communication error has occured.", I tried to play again, but I am here one more time. So, like I was saying, I was playing really, really carefully. I didn't do anything, not even used my name tags to talk. (In one week, what can I do...)

It's really getting annoying.
Maybe it's a "disconnecter" punishment of some kind?

Like, even if your internet is normally stable, the "A communication error has occurred" message may mean you got disconnected -- and that could be why you end up stuck there?

I'm just guessing here, it would be nice if the causes were a little more defined, but I guess even telling people what not to do would let people figure out the limits they could safely push things in.

Last edited:

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
I have this message often, a lot of people too, along with error codes, I'm ignoring them and keep playing, it's just connection with other players problems. But something like this never happened. The first time, I was playing in the morning, everything was normal, then I came back the afternoon and I was stuck in.

Last edited:

JTWStephens

Smash Rookie
NNID
JTWStephens
3DS FC
0662-4104-9596
Well, I'm still apparently trapped in FG Hell, forced to play nothing but laggy Japanese for no apparent reason. I guess I'll just assume I'm not allowed to use it anymore.

Classy.

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Yesterday it happened to me too.
I was playing normally when I joined a 2vs2 For Flory match. The lag was unbearable, every single second of the timer was like 30 real seconds, and I had to unplung the net adapter. When I tried to log back in the nintendo network the game froze (even the gamepad screen got glitched) and I had to restart the entire console.
I finally come back online, and all the rooms were empty, expect for the free for all for fun where only 2 guys showed up (a Peach player with FRIENDLY tag who did nothing in the entire match and a Link player with the tag UR.MOM, a pretty bad player overall).
I went to sleep and this morning I still have this issue...

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I keep fighting the same people too. It might be because when I run into a spammer player I SD and leave. And uh, you know how common spammers are so that happens a lot.

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
Hey, just an update.
I'm out of it now, I just checked every day if I was still in this hell, and I'm out. Basically all you can do is waiting, like everyone.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Hey guys This has been happening to me for the past few days as well O.o
IS this a ban? Or is it a glitch?
This hasn't happened before, but i wont lie when I say I do use insulting tags, mainly if the person im playing is either annoying, or also uses bad tags at me.
I dont even do it often but yea mainly, URSOBAD, GETSKILLS,NUB,UMAD? PLSLEAVE(I generally use this first because I hate battling beginners or spammers because they irritate me to no end.)
As much as I dont want to do that, most players just do the things that irritate me the most.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I finally get out from this hell. And I'm pleased to see that there are still an insane amount of taunt spammer/laggers/teabaggers.
I'm still not really sure this is a ban...

Top Bottom