• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I keep playing against the same people?

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
I'm playing the 3DS version. recently, the game has decided to not connect me to anyone. And when it does, it's always either the same person I fought before or a Japanese person.

HYP3R

Smash Lord
It is most likely dependent on the time of day you get online, if you play at late night expect to have many Japanese players join/leave.
Although I play on Wii U rather than 3DS, I'm sure the same still applies to both games.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Seems that way for me, too. Started about 4:00pm EST yesterday. I either enter an empty room and no one enters for the entire time waiting, or I find just this one guy which I'll keep finding again and again. And never did I find anyone on teams since it started.

This is on the Wii U version. For the record, Mario Kart 8 works fine.

Edit: Perhaps it's some sort of a ban for taunting too much. I'll admit I sometimes go too far. :grin: It seems we can only play with others who may be under this penalty. I've talked to a few with this problem and it may be the case.

It also helps the case that pretty much everyone I've ran into since then has been very big on taunting, haha. Can you attest to this, @ CaptainOlimar123 CaptainOlimar123 ?

Last edited:

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
The same thing started happening to me yesterday morning. Can't figure out what it is ,I've never been much of a taunter.

Last edited:

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
The same thing started happening to me yesterday morning. Can't figure out what it is ,I've never been much of a taunter.
Well that's interesting. I really wanna figure this out. Do you typically win when you're online? My other theory is that they separated the players by win rate.

There are way more holes in this theory though. Like, it didn't happen at the same time for everyone and makes no sense how For Fun is also this way. I'm almost positive there would be more players than this, too.

I think we should try contacting Nintendo about this.

Last edited:

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
Well that's interesting. I really wanna figure this out. Do you typically win when you're online? My other theory is that they separated the players by win rate.

There are way more holes in this theory though. Like, it didn't happen at the same time for everyone and makes no sense how For Fun is also this way. I'm almost positive there would be more players than this, too.

I think we should try contacting Nintendo about this.
I called Nintendo today he couldn't find anything wrong w my connection,basically no answers, and my win rate is about the same, I went over a friends house and his was fine. But I have noticed lots of taunting.. I'm not sure man I do feel like I'm getting better though and hope I moved up some kind of "rank" lol cuz I have been getting my ass handed to me since this started

Last edited:

carlos11

Smash Cadet
This has also happened to me. It started last week, and I'm pretty sure it's some sort of ban. Just like everyone else, I don't meet anyone in any online mode. When I do meet someone, it's usually a good player. They're good, I'll give them that, but most of them have an unrealistically bad connection and have no mixups in their playstyle whatsoever. They also have offensive names and tags like penis or nazi. That's pretty much what makes me think this is some sort of serious ban since I'll admit my Mii's name is somewhat offensive and none of the players I meet now have any respect for anything.

I hope there's a way to go back to meeting regular people online.

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
This has also happened to me. It started last week, and I'm pretty sure it's some sort of ban. Just like everyone else, I don't meet anyone in any online mode. When I do meet someone, it's usually a good player. They're good, I'll give them that, but most of them have an unrealistically bad connection and have no mixups in their playstyle whatsoever. They also have offensive names and tags like penis or nazi. That's pretty much what makes me think this is some sort of serious ban since I'll admit my Mii's name is somewhat offensive and none of the players I meet now have any respect for anything.

I hope there's a way to go back to meeting regular people online.
Makes sense... I think ur right I haven't seen any names like that but I was being spammed a lot so I started spamming and now I'm in games w all spammers... sounds like I ban and yea I wanna go back to normal smash...kind of rediculous for no warning.. Well we can play each other here's my fc add me lol 2466-4982-1697

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I've run into a few of the same people, but it's not common.

What IS common is late at night getting lots of japan players but they always drop out. I can't tell if they're just being dropped due to bad connection or if they see a bunch of American tags and drop themselves out because we're not worthy.

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
Hi guys. Just created an account to join the conversation. I have been affected by this "glitch" recently, and created a post on Miiverse. At the beginning we were really a few people getting this issue, now more and more people talk about it, we're trying to be noticed with my post, by posting or 'yeahing'. I'll leave you the link here, so you can get some informations.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKFHXi3ZQA
I hope to see some of you on it, and explaining how/why do you think it happened.
Oh and if it can make you feel better, we figured out that it's not a ban.

I also noticed that, on this 'alternative' server, there is absolutely no restrictions, for exemple :

- If you don't move for 30 seconds, you're disconnected for idle. Here, you can go make a sandwich and come back, you will still be able to play where you left.
-You can target one player as you want, without touching anyone else, you will not be disconnected. Well I know the targeting restriction is a failure, but I tried that on many fights.

Last edited:

carlos11

Smash Cadet
Honestly felt like a ban because everyone I met would try really hard to beat me and it doesn't matter how close it was, if they won they would use their tags to insult me. Also, a lot of these people lagged like hell, not to mention there was an exorbitantly high proportion of Hitlers, Nazis, and people with a penis as their mii. That being said, I still believe it was a ban because of the type of people that experienced this "glitch".

Fortunately for me, looks like I don't have to worry about it anymore. Yesterday I played online and I found out I can actually play with people now. Yay.

Marty20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MartyTiti
3DS FC
5455-9421-4760
Hi. I also have this problem now. This morning, I only met 1 people in a room. We fought approximately 30 minutes, and still 1 people. I left, and the next room had nobody. I stopped playing.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I once got matched up against a noob that I had just owned and who had just D/Ced against me and as soon as he saw my name he D/Ced again.

Noobs cower in fear before me!

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
Honestly felt like a ban because everyone I met would try really hard to beat me and it doesn't matter how close it was, if they won they would use their tags to insult me. Also, a lot of these people lagged like hell, not to mention there was an exorbitantly high proportion of Hitlers, Nazis, and people with a penis as their mii. That being said, I still believe it was a ban because of the type of people that experienced this "glitch".

Fortunately for me, looks like I don't have to worry about it anymore. Yesterday I played online and I found out I can actually play with people now. Yay.
I can truthfully say to you that I am in this situation, and I didn't do anything to deserve a ban. And I didn't see any type of person like that having this problem.

Plus, we still can play in the Friend mode, what's the point if you're a toxic player if you still can annoy people ? Moreover, do you think Nintendo will host servers just for "noobs" so they still can play ? I don't think so, they could ban, nothing less, what can you do ?

People with this issue can still play, but only with others having this problem (and in friend mode without matters), so it's normal if you still find people to play with, because there is more people getting onto it.

Last edited:

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
I find the most people in For Fun free for all. I guess due to the taunt parties/ganging up on one player. I also think stalling might be another way to get in here. Which I honestly think should not be the case. It's as if we'd have to play a very specific way to avoid being thrown in here.
From what I can tell based on the other players I've met on here, to avoid being tossed in here it's:

-No taunting
-No offensive Mii
-No offensive nametag usage.
-No stalling
-No ganging on one player
-Perhaps even no SDing on purpose, too. (lots of them SD when they're behind)

I have not met anyone who hasn't done any of the above yet in this "alternative server". I know for sure I was reported just as it happened. (they stayed in the result screen for a while, and just after, I was unable to find many players.)

In the case of you, Aotsuke. I'm not entirely sure. But based on what you said you tested in one of your previous posts, I would guess you fall into targeting one player.

Last edited:

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
Marty20 is my friend here. He was "tossed" in here yesterday, and he didn't do anything. He's a total clear player. It's just a bug guys.

It's a game, what's the point of adding all those features if they ban us for using them ? Moreover, the ban system is a total failure. I was disconnected many times by just hitting someone ONE time and getting kicked out litteraly 2 seconds after.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
People can lie. There is way more against your point than there is with it. I've added and asked people if they've done any of those things previously, they either admitted, or didn't say anything. Lots straight up show it just by playing with them.

You have 3 people (including yourself) who claim they have not done anything. People on For Fun can think they're innocent while doing taunt parties and bullying the one who does not join them.

I don't mean to accuse you or anything, but I don't think you can write it off as a glitch just yet. I can admit I've done some wrong online.

I've met both you and Erik_Red online. Erik_Red used the name tag of "Mad?" and "HAHAHAHA" against me. He's lying about doing nothing for sure. You, I believe you used the name "Lag -.-" since it was a laggy match. That leads me to believe you have more name tags ready to use (in case someone throws their own insults at you, perhaps?).

I have not met Marty20 online, but I doubt he hasn't done anything.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I'm playing the 3DS version. recently, the game has decided to not connect me to anyone. And when it does, it's always either the same person I fought before or a Japanese person.
I think it is just that the same people are online a lot of the time when you try to find a match. I get matched up with this 3 letter Japanese player a lot.

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
People can lie. There is way more against your point than there is with it. I've added and asked people if they've done any of those things previously, they either admitted, or didn't say anything. Lots straight up show it just by playing with them.

You have 3 people (including yourself) who claim they have not done anything. People on For Fun can think they're innocent while doing taunt parties and bullying the one who does not join them.

I've met both you and Erik_Red online. Erik_Red used the name tag of "Mad?" and "HAHAHAHA" against me. He's lying about doing nothing for sure. You, I believe you used the name "Lag -.-" since it was a laggy match. That leads me to believe you have more name tags ready to use (in case someone throws their own insults at you, perhaps?).

I have not met Marty20 online, but I doubt he hasn't done anything.
You are really looking far for this. You believe easily in a lot of things... People can lie but they can also say the truth.
I'm not "talking" with name tags, only in case of lag sometimes and to say "hi", especially when I'm being insulted, I just play one more game and report. And in taunt parties, things that are allowed, I'm the first one to fight when someone want to, but not 3v1.

But sure Nintendo is gonna hosts servers (so they bought them) just for us doing taunts, saying "Lag" and trying to get back a point while being KOed.

We surely need to be executed, right ? It's crazy how people think they deserve to be banned in this situation, that's not my case.
So tell me if it's a ban ; When you got a time ban, you can't play with friends or anywhere else. Here you still can play with friends and people in this situation, so ? Isn't it supposed to be more violent to extract "toxic" players like us ?

I don't know this "Erik_Red", I've never played against/with, so I don't know about him, but Marty never did something wrong, except targeting, things that happens to everyone, I truly know him better than you. I have now 2 more friends in this situation.

I want to add, I asked Nintendo support about that, they confirmed it was an unknown bug, and the person who responded is trying to contact Nintendo Europe about that.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
This has only happened about once or twice to me. I can almost always find a different opponent. How strange...

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
@ Aotsuke Aotsuke

I'm not believing anything too easily, that's why I'm skeptical of what you claim. Also, targeting a single player is in fact against Nintendo's online rules:

So that means Marty did do something wrong in Nintendo's eyes. I'm sure repeat offenders get sent to this 'blacklist' of players through a report or multiple of them.

Taunt parties in themselves also fall under not actively playing, I'm sure. Just because lots of people do it, doesn't mean it isn't against the rules. I myself think For Fun should be a bit more lenient with the rules. It already isn't that fun with that terrible item spawn rate.

You can keep contacting Nintendo. I have very little belief that this is a glitch, but if it really ends up that way, it'll actually be a good thing. I'm still sticking to what I believe.

Last edited:

carlos11

Smash Cadet
Once again, I assure you, this is a ban. I admit to having a Mii name that is offensive. I can see why I was banned.

Now the ban is lifted and I can actually play online. The fact that a couple weeks have passed and now the "glitch" is gone only proves what I'm trying to explain here. If you're experiencing this "glitch", you've been sent to Smash hell. Only way to get out is to be a good sport and wait.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Very glad to hear that. I suppose I'll just avoid online for a couple weeks, myself. I ain't missing much, anyway. Playing local is so much better.

ErikTheRed

Smash Rookie
Yea im in the same boat, I was a bit of a **** talker in for glory so thats probably why I got it. It most likely is a blacklist or like a low priority(like in dota2). Glad to see that it may not be permanent though.

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
Once again, I assure you, this is a ban. I admit to having a Mii name that is offensive. I can see why I was banned.

Now the ban is lifted and I can actually play online. The fact that a couple weeks have passed and now the "glitch" is gone only proves what I'm trying to explain here. If you're experiencing this "glitch", you've been sent to Smash hell. Only way to get out is to be a good sport and wait.
it does feel like smash hell lol and yea it's a ban I didn't know u can report ppl but I most likely got reported for spamming a spammer, for now on I'll just report them

Last edited:

Marty20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MartyTiti
3DS FC
5455-9421-4760
Hi.

Sorry but I have just never done something wrong... I have never insulted someone, I have never reported peoples who even insulted me because I had won... And that's all. Why would I get banned? Because I am respectful? Plus I have never told something bad to someone online, even if that people was annoying. So why..? I'm sure it's a glitch. If it is a ban, I'm waiting for the reasons.

Bye and good night/day.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
@ Marty20 Marty20

According to your friend, Aotsuke, you did break a rule. Targeting a single player in a free for all. He seems to think that wasn't against the rules, though.

But Marty never did something wrong, except targeting, things that happens to everyone, I truly know him better than you.
Your group of friends seems to love taunt parties, too. Nintendo doesn't. Honestly, it doesn't even matter who is right here, there is just no evidence at all supporting this is a glitch. Way more supporting it being a ban. You guys are pretty much bringing this conversation in a loop.

Last edited:

Marty20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MartyTiti
3DS FC
5455-9421-4760
Hi,

I admit I targeted, but only peoples who taunt after KOing or who bother. If it is a ban, we can at least receive a message like "You've been banned for..." And then, why can we still play with others if we are banned? Moreover, why can we still play with friends? Maybe we're all wrong about this... perhaps it is not a glitch nor a ban.

See you.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
If it is a ban, we can at least receive a message like "You've been banned for..." And then, why can we still play with others if we are banned? Moreover, why can we still play with friends? Maybe we're all wrong about this... perhaps it is not a glitch nor a ban.

See you.
I can agree with that. If I was given a warning beforehand, I surely would have stopped what I was doing. Leaving us in the dark after is no good, either. I'd guess they just don't care what you do with your friends. They really shouldn't. You can always block and remove a friend if they bother you.

Marty20

Smash Rookie
NNID
MartyTiti
3DS FC
5455-9421-4760
Hi again.

Yes, I can delete friends if they boher me... but all are nice with me. Just some peoples in With Anyone who are... rude. This is just that if it is a ban, we should receive a message or... you know... This is why I still believe this a glitch. If we are banned, then I'm waiting for a message. Since I haven't got any message, I'll continue believing this is a glitch. I know I might seem stubborn, but if we buy a game, I think we have the right to know what is happening to us.

Bye.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
This only happened to me just this morning on the 3DS version. Almost all of my most recent opponents there were all Japanese players who barely did anything, yet I still get my ass whooped. It's pretty rare on the Wii U version from what I can tell.

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
This only happened to me just this morning on the 3DS version. Almost all of my most recent opponents there were all Japanese players who barely did anything, yet I still get my *** whooped. It's pretty rare on the Wii U version from what I can tell.
Lol I'm still in this ban but must admit I've gotten better

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
Let me host I got a few friends on maybe we can teams

Last edited:
Top Bottom