• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why am I keep playing against the same people?

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
The thing is, I'm having all the same symptoms as you guys, with these errors in addition.
Everyone got those error messages, a freaking lot. Sometimes they follow themselves. But yeah, don't worry about it, there is no link with it, if this was what you asked.

MegaMewLeader

Smash Rookie
I'm not a master of the game either but like EVERY time I connect it like always go 1-2-3 GO! something connections been do to a bad connection error playing right by the router. :I

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Right. So yeah, guess I'm definitely in hell. It's fine for the most part, the only real problem to me is that team battles never work.

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
i don't think i'm in hell but why do people join the game then leave seconds later? i don't have an abusive tag or anything. all i can think of is because the people who usually do this have asian characters for their name, i assume they think it'll lag so they leave? but often i'll get 3, 4, 5 people in a row join and leave, it's weird.

i did play this SEAN guy twice in a week though, but haven't recognised any other names twice.

Last edited:

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I did notice one funny thing in hell though!

Whenever I go into a For Fun match, everyone will just screw around, taunt, not hurt each other at all, and I play along with them. Cue sudden death, where I go ham on everyone, and they didn't see it coming.

Magik

Smash Rookie
I'm in banland, for the second time now.

This is a terrible system and Nintendo really need to remove it. I'm forced to play in this quarantined environment as though I have done something wrong, when in fact all I've done is beat people and made them report me. My last match of freedom was against a link, I wrecked him and it was lagging. He then reported me, and from that point on it took forever to find an opponent and I could no longer join regular tourneys.

I can't stress how badly this system is designed. Every time I beat someone now, I'm always worried "will they get mad and report me?" With a simple report they can again send me into a banned state for days or weeks. You can tell when someone has reported and blocked you, because they will still be in the "Viewing Results" screen after the match for a while. And then they will leave without even first joining the character screen.

Alot of bad players just report whenever they feel outplayed. It needs to be removed because tons of innocent yet good players are getting their online experience unfairly wrecked. I paid the same as everyone else, why should I get a worse online when I'm doing nothing wrong? Why do random reports from players even send a player into a banland? Whoever designed this system is a moron, it's open to massive abuse

Again I'm back to waiting very long for opponents. When I do get matched up they are usually incredibly good players, and it's sad because I know they too have been "banned" just for beating other people. Very sad that we have such a system. I'm done. Please remove this nintendo.

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku

This is a terrible system and Nintendo really need to remove it. I'm forced to play in this quarantined environment as though I have done something wrong, when in fact all I've done is beat people and made them report me. My last match of freedom was against a link, I wrecked him and it was lagging. He then reported me, and from that point on it took forever to find an opponent and I could no longer join regular tourneys.

I can't stress how badly this system is designed. Every time I beat someone now, I'm always worried "will they get mad and report me?" With a simple report they can again send me into a banned state for days or weeks. You can tell when someone has reported and blocked you, because they will still be in the "Viewing Results" screen after the match for a while. And then they will leave without even first joining the character screen.

Alot of bad players just report whenever they feel outplayed. It needs to be removed because tons of innocent yet good players are getting their online experience unfairly wrecked. I paid the same as everyone else, why should I get a worse online when I'm doing nothing wrong? Why do random reports from players even send a player into a banland? Whoever designed this system is a moron, it's open to massive abuse

Again I'm back to waiting very long for opponents. When I do get matched up they are usually incredibly good players, and it's sad because I know they too have been "banned" just for beating other people. Very sad that we have such a system. I'm done. Please remove this nintendo.
Nothing to say. Everything is here. Give that man a cookie.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
OK so I witnessed the exact moment the game forced me into banland today

I was in a 2v2 with some pretty good people. This one guy targets me most of the time, and I try to target him. First few rounds he got the better of me, but the last few rounds I keep winning against this guy. The Last round I ganoncide him and then taunt him, and my team ends up winning.

In the waiting room, all of a sudden all 3 people drop out at the same time, I leave the room, and all of a sudden I'm getting a ton of empty rooms. Then I realize somebody from that match gave me salty report and banned me.

Last edited:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
How can you tell if you have been reported? Will you be banned from playing online for some time or just queued with other reported players?

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
How can you tell if you have been reported? Will you be banned from playing online for some time or just queued with other reported players?
We are getting our knowledge here through experience and logic. If someone leaves, while he is in the records menu ( i only play the 3ds version) it is highly possible he reported you (because u cant leave normally from there), even more if u encourage people with your playstyle.. Especially, if he was long there and u had some games with him before, where u crushed him, like i always do. And i beleave if u report u leave automatically, but i never tested it. i played this game since before release and didnt report even once. No regrets.

@ M Magik

Atleast i have a world record, i was banned 24 hours after i left banland, where i was a prisoner for 3 weeks. It cant be worse. Thx Nintendo, with your cooperation i became a record Holder in the guiness book of world records.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
OK so I witnessed the exact moment the game forced me into banland today

I was in a 2v2 with some pretty good people. This one guy targets me most of the time, and I try to target him. First few rounds he got the better of me, but the last few rounds I keep winning against this guy. The Last round I ganoncide him and then taunt him, and my team ends up winning.

In the waiting room, all of a sudden all 3 people drop out at the same time, I leave the room, and all of a sudden I'm getting a ton of empty rooms. Then I realize somebody from that match gave me salty report and banned me.
Maybe it was the last report of many u needed that triggered the throw into the ban-aera. Simmiliar here, in 1 game i played normal....then in the next, i was thrown out. the last player i played with, reported me. Fact is, its the same server, but u are only able to connect to other banned peple.

Man, who ever configured this 5h1t should be banned from gamedesign.

Aotsuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aotsuku
Yep I got this too while playing for fun, for my 2nd expedition in banland. I was in a full room and a guy was targeting me, so I played carefully while hitting others to stay in the game. I was way stronger that him, so I suppose he got some hate and reported me. After that, everyone got out at the same time, I did the same, tried to reconnect : "A communication error has occured" and tons of empty rooms.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Ummm, am I in this "ban hell" now? I was just about to view and upload my For Glory replays from the 3DS version to YouTube and I noticed that the replays I saved of an opponent I fought with this morning was the same person I fought the other day, where I also saved one of our matches as a replay. I feel like it can't be coincidence that I run into the same player I just fought the other day.

Was I reported because I beat someone badly or something? Was my opponent reported because he plays pretty well? He plays a really good and aggressive Yoshi in my opinion.

Last edited:

buu

Smash Rookie
NNID
C.nolando
I don't think win percent has a huge factor. I'm at 72% win rate, and I bump into a lot of pro players (Zero, Nairo, Jtails) that have about 90% win rate on for glory. I get a lot of Japanese players because I play late at night on the West Coast but I never had trouble finding people on 3ds or WiiU

fehector

Smash Cadet
Well look who there is, and look what he brings you. fascinating news. i am the forth time in a vacation during 6 weeks. just imagine. i only had to work 2 full days this time and i was already free to go on a lonesome journey. Not everyone ha such a nice boss as myself.

Lets go on an adventure with my new friends i hardly need more then 1 hand to count them.

Sorry guys but i am bored to tell everytime the same stuff about the same ****. This time i watched who reported me. They are always the worst of the worst players (40 % and less) and during our fights everyone of them had atleast 1 spammy charakter he pulled to let me try on him. Even then i 2 stock them. Then they leave from the results screen. instead of blocking me (thats the button u need for players u cant beat) they reported me.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I have the feeling that I'm going to be banned too... Most of my opponents on FG were staying on the results screen, and I actually won against most of them. They were there for quite a while, and saving a replay doesn't take all this time.
Guys, is this a indication or I'm just paranoid?
I didn't play yesterday, that was on Friday.

Last edited:

fehector

Smash Cadet
I wish i could teleport right to their home and smash (ironically) them some good manners and sportsmanship. just the thought about them going there with their ugly depressed fingers and pressing on the button makes me cringe.

We all here become paranoid on one way or another. How should it be else if your career is determined by other human beeings, who chose not by logic rather than deprevity.

How in the name of the seven gods can a game designer create a penalty system like that?. Or it is sakurai's payback against players who win to much against casual players, and he doesnt like them.

I lost over 5 weeks of playtime to losers. Thats depressing.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Well this is great to hear. I'm going to be paranoid now. I was just sent to this prison and reading the responses, it's like all your reports don't get removed after however long you have to wait. So after you've served your sentence, you can still have a high number of reports. I've been playing since November with no problem and this occurred randomly. I couldn't honestly tell you what I did wrong. I don't play anything but 1 v 1. So now, if anyone reports me, it'll lock up the game again? Is my game permanently broken?

BadLuckBrian

Smash Cadet

I am also in banland for doing absolutely nothing but playing the game how it is supposed to be played. It is my first ban which started Thursday last week and is ongoing. What makes this situation even worse is not knowing you are banned in the first place, because you don't get a notification about what you did, what the consequences are and how long the ban will take. Even me, quite a gamer for since my younger years, assumed it was an internet issue. Until this site explained it to me better than the costumer service of Nintendo (they didn't even know what was going on). It is beyond my understanding how Sakurai can think this is an appropriate system that will nobody will abuse. Like you said, I want to play the game I paid for. We are far better without it even if it bans a certain amount of cocky players.

How can we make sure Nintendo hears about this? Can't we send Nintendo a letter about this or something? I don't want to be afraid of getting banned again for 2-stocking another player.

BadLuckBrian

Smash Cadet
Well this is great to hear. I'm going to be paranoid now. I was just sent to this prison and reading the responses, it's like all your reports don't get removed after however long you have to wait. So after you've served your sentence, you can still have a high number of reports. I've been playing since November with no problem and this occurred randomly. I couldn't honestly tell you what I did wrong. I don't play anything but 1 v 1. So now, if anyone reports me, it'll lock up the game again? Is my game permanently broken?
You destroyed some players online, that is what you did. They don't like it, they report you without an obvious explanation, Nintendo believes it, you get banned. It can take up to 1/2 weeks I heard. I am now at my 10th day and it is my first ban.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
You destroyed some players online, that is what you did. They don't like it, they report you without an obvious explanation, Nintendo believes it, you get banned. It can take up to 1/2 weeks I heard. I am now at my 10th day and it is my first ban.
There has to be more to it, tho, which is why this systems sucks so hard. The fact that there's no transparency. The amount of days it takes varies and with no way of knowing how many reports you've accumulated, you'll never know why you're banned again. And no way of even knowing what you did.

Cuz I highly doubt a couple reports sent me here. I've been playing since November with no problems. I must have done something wrong.
Of course, I am aware that some people, after they are unbanned, have been extremely careful not to step on any toes, and they still get banned a second time, meaning that reports do play a role.

So basically, it's a giant cluster f@$! of uncertainty as to what exactly causes this soft ban.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
How can we make sure Nintendo hears about this? Can't we send Nintendo a letter about this or something? I don't want to be afraid of getting banned again for 2-stocking another player.
I'd just call and email. There isn't much we can do.
When I called, even the guy on the phone agreed with me that this is silly and that this doesn't happen on xbox or Playstation. Nintendo's own employees know they suck.

BadLuckBrian

Smash Cadet
Cuz I highly doubt a couple reports sent me here. I've been playing since November with no problems. I must have done something wrong.
I understand why you think there has to be more to it. I also played with no problems since release. However I saw another thread on this website about (good) players getting banned more often since the release of the newest update (1.1.0 or something) that released on July 30th. Maybe the threshold of reports for getting banned is strongly reduced.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I understand why you think there has to be more to it. I also played with no problems since release. However I saw another thread on this website about (good) players getting banned more often since the release of the newest update (1.1.0 or something) that released on July 30th. Maybe the threshold of reports for getting banned is strongly reduced.
Maybe. I'm gonna start a thread to see how long some people have been out of Smash Hell for. Who knows. Maybe it is hard to go back in if you're on your best behavior.
Cuz I'm not even going to taunt anymore.

It's funny how paranoid I have to get over a video game, but I paid $400 for it. Smash was the reason I bought a Wii U. To be constantly going in and out of Smash Hell for the rest of my Wii U's life is ridiculous.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Also, hopefully it did come with the update because then that means there was a mistake; a mistake that will hopefully be fixed with the next update.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Alright, people. I just got off the phone again with another Nintendo rep. He's got no clue what I'm talking about.
Says there's no such thing and that the only bans and temporary restrictions are ones that bar all entrance from the internet. No posts to miiverse. No way to play anyone. Also, if you have this ban, it will give you a time frame. In other words, none of this "roughly one week" kinda thing.

So basically the guy said "we can't help you".

So anyone suffering with this ban, give Nintendo a call. Raise awareness. This is starting to seem to me like this is a glitch. Like you were supposed to be banned, but it never went all the way through.
Idk.
But yeah, call Nintendo.
1 (800) 255-3700

Because considering how many people keep getting and regetting these bans, it's clearly a problem.

fehector

Smash Cadet
Yes. It came to live later, around the second quartal of this year, i beleave. They had a roundtable among themselves and someone said: "hey sakuarai, what do you think if we put the decisions into other players Hand, who is exciled. And what if they could do so, without any proof and any limitations? I striktly beleave a system that is open for massive abuse, is what we need right now, the pro's i played with make me angr *cough cough* i mean they make other players that are caring good hearts very sad" Sakurai answers: "Great idea"

Pheonixmaster1

To be the best,you have to beat the best.
NNID
Pheonixmaster1
3DS FC
0473-8896-6663
So I was banned on Wednesday and I play Ganondorf,Falcon,Lucina & Dark Pit.The last time I remember I had my FG session,I played against a spammy Link who kept spamming,taunting & teabagging and I was playing Lucina and I beat him then he switched to Little mac and every time I was thrown offstage as Lucina he taunted.I beat his Little mac too and I think he reported me.I don't ever use Offensive tags or Mii and I don't taunt like how For Glory players do after each kill,I don't roll,spam or have any bad habits.I don't even SD when I find a spammy opponent or an opponent which has tons of lag,I just play that match and block them so that I don't have to play them again.I have never reported any player before no matter how bad of a sportsmanship they had.

I can't understand what I have done to deserve this ban,I can't find opponents on FG now and I get matched up with same people and some of them are really good.Met a really good Wario & ZSS player who were perfectly respectful in banland.I don't know what kind of Flawed system is this but this is ridiculous.I am here trying to kill some boredom and some salty kid reports me when he is the one spamming?I don't get this.I am not sure what one is supposed to do to avoid sore salty losers from reporting you,like do I have to lose so that they don't report me?The point of the game is to win,last time I checked.

This is my first ban and I am guessing its gonna last for 7-10 days,but hopefully Sakurai fixes this flawed automated system which dumps players in banland who are reported without verifying their replays.This is so amazing,spammers reporting innocent players and running wild in lands of FG themselves.

I can't find opponents,it usually takes 10+ minutes to find an opponent on For Glory and I can't join tourneys too,which sucks.
I am now discouraged to play on For Glory and am probably gonna stick to Smash Ladder & playing with my friends.

Thanks Nintendo & Sakurai for creating a flawed system which can be abused by spammers and salty players to ruin another player's gaming experience without verifying if he has done anything wrong or not.

Last edited:

Gypsy_Panic

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-7237-7012
I play Smash on the 3DS and have been noticing all of the same symptoms as everyone else. Empty rooms. Same person over and over. Lag. So this is SSB Hell? Fantastic.

Worst part is I don't deserve it. I don't Roll spam, taunt spam, weapon spam, ect. Of course losing to a Samus could cause a lot of salt for some people. So I definitely see why I'd get reported. Still it's a bit ridiculous that it's this bad. Play a character = Reported.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Good lord ive been in banland for one week now.

Ive never taunted nor changed names, like only once when i had a great game with ppl i switched to gg.

The sad part is , as other mention, that in this " hell" i get VERY good players, in fact if it wasnt for the looong wwaiting times i get better players here than average FG. On the not so good side, i do get 40% of spammers, like literally a lot of pacmans or little macs. So its sorta frustrating that its either a very skilled player which i enjoy fighting (i have a 65% winrate) or an offensive mii (my balls are driy as mii) which spams nonstop with pacman.

Lamato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lamato
3DS FC
4983-5234-2632
I am also stuck in this quarantine server. Pretty sure wrecking people (and the fact that I play a projectile-based character) are contributing factors as to why someone would report me. I don't usually bother with tags unless I'm saying "gg" or having a friendly chat against another good player so that's not the problem.

What I kind of like about being in this position... some people are sent here for just being very proficient which can be fun. The bad part, as most people here have already mentioned, is that the other portion of people in these lobbies often have hot-headed personalities, immature, have a very defensive and non-adaptive playstyle, have bad connection (and choose characters that can capitalize on this), or a combination.

It's quite amusing to see people get so flustered over losing, it encourages me to play harder to engrave their bad habits. If it wasn't for the connection/input lag, this wouldn't be much of a problem anyways.

I like to see being banned as an opportunity to face really good players (like 10% of the time...).

Foockinpai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0232-8750-5560
Does anyone know how long does it take to get out of this Smash hell? It started for me on Halloween (yeah very spooky) and it's a week and I'm still in it. I've read it takes a week to get the ban off, but here I am on empty rooms.

Last edited:

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
So I was banned on Wednesday and I play Ganondorf,Falcon,Lucina & Dark Pit.The last time I remember I had my FG session,I played against a spammy Link who kept spamming,taunting & teabagging and I was playing Lucina and I beat him then he switched to Little mac and every time I was thrown offstage as Lucina he taunted.I beat his Little mac too and I think he reported me.I don't ever use Offensive tags or Mii and I don't taunt like how For Glory players do after each kill,I don't roll,spam or have any bad habits.I don't even SD when I find a spammy opponent or an opponent which has tons of lag,I just play that match and block them so that I don't have to play them again.I have never reported any player before no matter how bad of a sportsmanship they had.

I can't understand what I have done to deserve this ban,I can't find opponents on FG now and I get matched up with same people and some of them are really good.Met a really good Wario & ZSS player who were perfectly respectful in banland.I don't know what kind of Flawed system is this but this is ridiculous.I am here trying to kill some boredom and some salty kid reports me when he is the one spamming?I don't get this.I am not sure what one is supposed to do to avoid sore salty losers from reporting you,like do I have to lose so that they don't report me?The point of the game is to win,last time I checked.

This is my first ban and I am guessing its gonna last for 7-10 days,but hopefully Sakurai fixes this flawed automated system which dumps players in banland who are reported without verifying their replays.This is so amazing,spammers reporting innocent players and running wild in lands of FG themselves.

I can't find opponents,it usually takes 10+ minutes to find an opponent on For Glory and I can't join tourneys too,which sucks.
I am now discouraged to play on For Glory and am probably gonna stick to Smash Ladder & playing with my friends.

Thanks Nintendo & Sakurai for creating a flawed system which can be abused by spammers and salty players to ruin another player's gaming experience without verifying if he has done anything wrong or not.
That's really terrible. People on FG are such scum.

PonderBot

Smash Cadet
Seems that way for me, too. Started about 4:00pm EST yesterday. I either enter an empty room and no one enters for the entire time waiting, or I find just this one guy which I'll keep finding again and again. And never did I find anyone on teams since it started.

This is on the Wii U version. For the record, Mario Kart 8 works fine.

Edit: Perhaps it's some sort of a ban for taunting too much. I'll admit I sometimes go too far. :grin: It seems we can only play with others who may be under this penalty. I've talked to a few with this problem and it may be the case.

It also helps the case that pretty much everyone I've ran into since then has been very big on taunting, haha. Can you attest to this, @ CaptainOlimar123 CaptainOlimar123 ?
The same thing has been happening to me but I don't taunt at all. I keep coming across the same people online and I will repeatedly get matched up to them until finally I'll get someone else but I would come back day later and sometimes find the same people I had fought the day before.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
I didn't know what this was.. but i had those issues Early in October with empty rooms galore, and Matches taking 10-15 minutes to find. I assumed it was Nintendo but perhaps that week i got to join this "Banland" that would be odd as i always go out of my way to praise good play and have good sportsmanship even against Spammy or one dimensional play.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Guys this is entirely fake. The game tells you when your banned and it won't let you go into lobbies or play with friends at all. Kids these days...
Edit: Here's what it looks like
Okay I have to respond to this one since after skimming through I haven't seen a response

No ban land is not fake, Nintendo has completely different "responses" in smash 4 based on the offense. If you idle too long or target one player in a ffa the game kicks you out of the match with a message like the above. If you d/c from a match the game temporarily bans you from ALL online play against random players with a message counting down to when u can play again.

HOWEVER in the case of being reported too much, the game does NOT give you a pop up message, but instead sends you to an alternative server for a particular amount of time aka ban land. If I remember correctly, it completely locks you out of tourney mode as well. The game does this so players can still "face opponents" but are limited to other ban land players

Last edited:

Foockinpai

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0232-8750-5560
I'm not sure if this is what got me out of the ban land, but I changed my mii name and as soon as I did, I was back on the normal server.
I did this a week and a half later after I got banned.
The mii name was foockinpai and now its just pai.

Top Bottom