• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whose Inclusion in Smash Encouraged You to Play Their Series?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I only knew Mario/Luigi and Pikachu (Jigglypuff too, but I didn't know it was in the game at first) when I discovered Smash and it was Pikachu who made me interested in the series, as Pokémon was my life back then.

sadweather

Smash Apprentice
Without a doubt, :4ness: and :4lucas:. Back in 2008 when I first bought Brawl, Lucas was immediately my favorite character, even though I didn't know at all what series he was from. A few years later I emulated Earthbound and played it through and loved it to death. I ended up modding my SNES to play Super Famicom games, and bought Mother 2. Beat it again, in Japanese. Beat Mother 3, too. Love the series to death.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well melee introduced me to kirby and his series and to a lesser extent samus and metroid

and smashville's reveal for brawl lead me to final try animal crossing

Painting

Smash Rookie
I started off with Brawl in 2009 or 2010. Was already into Mario, Yoshi & the LoZ games.

Most notably: :fox: (but also :falco::wolf:) who got me into Star Fox. I remember playing through the subspace emissary campaign and when Fox showed up in his Arwing I could not contain my hype. At that time, I recently got into Star Wars and sci-fi and Star Fox 64 was an instant hit for me. When I actually got into competitive with smash 4, :4fox: became my trusty main after experimenting with half the cast for a few months. He's also quite possibly my favorite video game character.

:marth::ike: got me into playing Fire Emblem (mainly the GBA games) and when Awakening released I bought it instantly. :4robinm::4robinf: 's inclusion in smash 4 made me want to main him/her, although some time ago I dropped them from competitive (but certainly not from friendlies.)

:falcon: got me into F-Zero X. Even though I don't really play him at all, Falcon is one of my favorite video game characters.

:olimar: made me interested in the Pikmin franchise. Although I'm not a huge fan of Olimar's design, I really like the strategic aspect of the Pikmin games.

:pit: made me interested into Kid Icarus Uprising (following all news before release) which became one of my favorite games of all time. Pit & Palutena are in my top 10 favorite characters. In smash 4, :4pit: is a pocket char of mine and :4palutena: one of my favorite chars for friendlies.

Moving on to Smash 4:

:4megaman: got me into playing the first 3 Megaman games (so far) and I'm still busy exploring the series.

:4duckhunt: made me buy Duck Hunt on the Wii virtual console. The dog & duck became my first smash 4 main (3ds & early wii u) and recently I've been picking them up again. I love everything about Duck Hunt: the pixer graphics, the annoying dog & the sounds which are still great.

:4cloud:made me play FF7, which I already knew since I had already played a few other FF games, of which 6 is my favorite.

I'm still planning on playing the games featuring :4corrin::4corrinf::4ryu::4ness::4lucas::4samus::4zss::4bayonetta::4bayonetta2::4shulk: so I still have lots left to explore :p (I have played the original Metroid and Zero Mission though.)

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Well... like, if you really want to count trophies as well, the Daisy Trophy in Melee made me want to play Super Mario Land. I think something like, 8 whole years ago (a few months before Brawl was released, mind you. This was before I even had a Wii), I was playing Melee, browsing my modest collection of trophies, when I saw Daisy for the first time. And it was like... the very definition of love at first sight. I fell into a bit of an obsession with her, and I just needed to play SML to see her with my own eyes. I played it on an emulator, and it was okay. It's an early Gameboy game, it's pretty unrealistic to expect much from that. I got a proper hold of the game about 3 years later, when I bought a GBA SP and I needed games for it. Turns out GB games were cheaper than GBA games, and that SML was the cheapest of them all, and one I knew would be semi fun. So, appropriately enough, my first game for my Gameboy was SML.
Oh, as for Daisy:

I think the word I'm looking for here is "disappointed"?

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
Most notably, :4ness: and :4lucas:'s inclusions in Smash introduced me to the Mother/Earthbound series. I decided to give Mother 3 a shot in February of 2014. I don't regret that decision at all. Mother 3 is still my favorite game of all time, Earthbound is still one of my favorite games of all time and Earthbound Beginnings I think is alright.

:4marth::4feroy: and :4myfriends:'s inclusions in Smash was partially the reason I gave Fire Emblem: Awakening a shot in March of 2013. Fire Emblem is also a game series I'm really fond of now, and I was glad to see :4robinm::4lucina: and :4corrinf: get into Smash.

:snake: made me interested in trying out Metal Gear Solid. I recently bought Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D used at GameStop, so I want to be playing that more.

I already wanted to give Xenoblade Chronicles a go, but :4shulk: being included in Smash 4 certainly helped me want the game more. I purchased Xenoblade Chronicles 3D back in April of 2015. Not sure I really liked the game that much.

What I said about Xenoblade Chronicles applies to FFVII as well, except the character in question being :4cloud:, and I ended up being more interested in FFVII than I did with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh geez... my list is practically a mile long since I'm a goddamn fanboy who practically flaps his wrists at anything Nintendo.

:ness64:- Thought Ness was supposed to be some weird chibi version of Ash from Pokemon with the powers of his Pokemon for some weird reason. Got me to borrow a copy of Earthbound from one of my friends.

:samus64:- Had a mild familiarity with Metroid because one of my friends absolutely loved Super Metroid so I finally gave it a shot once I started playing Samus in Smash.

:icsmelee:- I really wanted to play their game but I had no real way of doing this in the Gamecube days. Because of that, it was one of my first VC purchases for the Wii.

:ike:- I originally thought Marth and Roy were Castlevania characters because apparently 12 year old was really that unapologetically dumb. I held off playing Fire Emblem until about 2008 when I began to seek out the games at pawn shops. Thanks to Path of Radiance, Ike went from one of my least liked Nintendo characters to one of my favorites.

:falcon:- Finally got to play F-Zero X thanks to the Wii VC.

:pit:- Wanted the character in Smash after I saw his trophy in Melee and pretty much exclusively picked up the game on the VC thanks to the original Brawl trailer.

:4littlemac:- Picked up Punch Out because of Little Mac's assist trophy in Brawl. Quickly became a big fan of the series and Little Mac was one of my top three most wanted characters for SSB4.

:4shulk:- Picked up a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles two Black Fridays ago but still haven't gotten around to playing it...

Dioga beta

Smash Rookie
For me, this series introduced me to The Legend of Zelda. It fit into my likes perfectly, being swordplay and magic, that I can't believe I hadn't played it beforehand.

Another is Fire Emblem. Roy was my boy from Melee, and once I found Radiant Dawn and learned characters permanently died, I was hooked.

I guess the other one would be Kid Icarus and Metroid, though I still haven't done much with those.

Also, I'm new. How do you do the character heads in the posts?

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
I am certain that about 99% of western FE fans played the games because of Smash Bros.

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
For me it would be,

:4lucina:/:4robinf: - I picked up FE: Awakening because of Lucina and dam was it worth, it was a really great game! Got FE: Fates on the go now as well.

:4ness: - Earthbound was amazing, I used to main Ness in Smash 4 back in the early days of its release and decided to pick it up. It's so weird but so good!

:pit: - Although a little untrue since I played the original Kid Icarus on the NES but I never really had a massive interest in Uprising when that came out. I later decided to pick it up after maining him in Brawl and playing him in Smash 4.

On the opposite side of the question, I picked Smash up through my love for :4link:/:4yoshi:/:4kirby:/:pt:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Literally everyone. Super Smash Bros. Melee was one of my first games, so that's how I got into Nintendo and their franchises. The only exception to this is Mario, since I played Super Mario Sunshine, as well as Yoshi, since I played Yoshi's Island DS, and Robin, since I actually played Awakening prior to his Smash inclusion.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:marth::ike: made me play Fire Emblem. I played FE7, loved it as well as the other GBA/SNES games. I bought Awakening by pure FE hype, and i didn't like it much after a while. Then I gave up on the series thanks to the otherwordly mutants called FE Fates and Genei Ibun Roku #FE. FE is now a waifu simulator, with some strategy there. Got offtrack!
:popo:made me play IC. It was fun even if it was as simple and bleh as it gets.
:ness2:got me to play the MOTHER series. And it was super frustrating at first. Grind or die. Good luck finding where to go next. Typical old RPG tropes.
:4kirby:got me to play Kirby Triple Deluxe. It was a fun ride after playing a lot of Smash/Pokemon Xceptional Letdown.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
PAC-MAN's inclusion has made me play some of his games. I played Ghostly Adventures on the 360, PAC-MAN World 2 on the GameCube, and PAC-MAN Party for the Wii. I need more!

D

Deleted member 269706

For me it was Ike and Snake.

I really never bothered to learn about the several different Nintendo franchises until Smash happened. Brawl was the first game I took remotely seriously and Ike was my favorite character. Never really knew much about FE but I had a few friends who had always talked about it. Sooner or later I crossed paths with a copy of Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. To be honest I was expecting Ike or Marth to show up but they never did haha. Either way I loved the game and played several others in the series.

Snake was a bit different. He introduced me to non-Nintendo games and really helped me reach out to other consoles and such. Loved MGS3 along with several other games in the series.

Also tried some other games such as Metroid, Earthbound, Punch Out after seeing the characters in smash...never really got into those games though.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
:4wario:

Funny this thread has come up because I just started doing this. I've mained wario for a year and a half and I had never really played a wario game until recently. I picked up Warioland on gamecube, Warioland shake it on Wii and one of the warioware wii games this week. Haven't played them yet but looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
:4shulk: Got me to get Xenoblade Chronicles....X :p though I've heard the Original is now on Virtual Console,so I can't wait to get it
:4littlemac:played Punch-Out because of him as well. I wanted to know my mains roots after all.
:4corrin:I've played Fire Emblem before,but I was convinced to buy Fates because of this guy. trying out the series via VC FE7 I was unsure if i'd like all the plotting and the planning,but I liked it enough to purchase

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
To be honest, when I first played Brawl for the first time, which was my first Smash game, the only characters I knew about were the Mario characters and a few Pokemon. Everybody else that appeared in Brawl were new to me. So... technically almost every character/series in Brawl that wasn't Pokemon/Mario were reasons I played their respective games. List is as follows:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf:For Ocarina of Time 3D
:4tlink:For Wind Waker HD
:4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:For Kirby's Epic Yarn
:4samus::4zss:For Metroid
:4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:For Kid Icarus: Uprising
:4shulk:For Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (just like the majority of Smash players)
:4fox::4falco:For Star Fox 64 3D
:4ness:For Earthbound
:4sonic:For Sonic Colors
:4falcon:For F-Zero
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4corrin:SOON

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Pretty much all of them from 64 and Melee except the Mario series, and Pokemon, which I had already played. I had no clue what Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, or Star Fox was before Smash. SSB introduced me to all these great series.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
Well, I finally bought Ocarina of Time, so I guess you could say :4link:'s inclusion led to me playing it... Although I would probably say it was :4tlink:, because my first choice would have been Wind Waker HD.

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
Before playing Brawl (my first Smash game), I was only interested in :4sonic:, :4pikachu:, :4dk: and :4mario: but after playing Brawl, the Zelda characters really caught my attention (especially :toonlink:). As a result, I bought Skyward Sword, which got me into the series (though I don't like the game as much as the first time I played it as I've become more aware of its flaws).
I remember that my sisters and I had trouble finding Zelda The Wind Waker in stores because the game came out many years ago and the remaster wasn't announced yet so gave up, until my sisters found it in Paris just in time !
My father told me that he will give me some money for my birthday so I think I'll use it to buy The Wind Waker HD which probably has received a price drop.

:4samus: also caught my interest in Brawl but when I watched some Metroid Prime videos it didn't appeal to me. However at the beginning of last year, I decided to buy Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid, and I loved these games and a month before E3 2015, I wanted to give the Prime Trilogy another shot and Metroid became one of my favourite video game series of all time.

Though I only played one game of this series, I also started getting into :4kirby: with Triple Deluxe due to Smash (and a duo of french let's players that I really like). I wanted Planet Robobot (alongside my New 3ds) for my birthday but I got Hyrule Warriors Legends instead, which isn't a bad thing because I wanted one of those games even though I wanted the former more.

Though Xenoblade Chronicle X is my first Xenoblade game, I am also looking forward to buying Xenoblade Chronicle on New 3ds (or Wii) because of the great musics I could hear in Smash 4 (I hope I'll get enough money to buy both Xenoblade Chronicle and Zelda The Wind Waker HD)

AllN

Smash Rookie
There aren't many games I've picked up because I've played their characters in Smash, but there are several characters I picked up solely because I've played their games. The only exception being Marth, as I would have never played the original Fire Emblem if I didn't play him, which then naturally followed into Awakening and Fates, into Robin and Corrin. I have a friend who played Xenoblade because of Shulk, and then got me to play it as well, if that counts.

AllN

Smash Rookie
Well, I finally bought Ocarina of Time, so I guess you could say :4link:'s inclusion led to me playing it... Although I would probably say it was :4tlink:, because my first choice would have been Wind Waker HD.
I've always really enjoyed playing as Toon Link because of Wind Waker, as well as Four Swords, which I was enthralled with for the longest time.

JamieTheMunchlax

Smash Rookie
NNID
SleepyMunchlax1
:4link: I originally wasn't in to Zelda... I judged it off of the cartoon. Yeah, when I watched the Mario cartoon, I'd always see the Zelda cartoon ad and hear "WELL EXCUSE ME PRINCESS", and decided Zelda wasn't my thing. I played Link in the 3DS demo, he was really fun. I ended up maining Toon Link, I think the 3DS boxart inspired me to. I now ADORE Zelda, and think that the games are amazing.

:4marth: Marth, is my secondary, and I really want to play an FE, although I don't know where I'll start.

:4kirby: My sister mains him, and she inspired me to play Kirby. I love his games, and I'm looking forward to Planet Robobot.

:4lucas: I decided I'd play a MOTHER game. EBB looked a bit too behind the times, so it was EB or MOTHER 3. I decided MOTHER 3 was too emotionally wounding, so I decided to start with EB. Best game ever.

:4villager: Villager was really fun for me in the 3DS demo, so I decided to see what Animal Crossing was all about. It became my 2nd most played 3DS game.

Pokemon fan for life.

Linkip

Smash Cadet
:4villager: Animal crossing always looked dumb to me. But playing villager in SSB4 kinda made me try it. AC is still not my favorite but still glad i tried it.

:4fox:, :4falco: So when i first bought brawl i only liked Mario and Pokemon but then i saw Fox shoot lasers and lasers are awesome. so i tried my cousins old Starfox 64 cartridge one day. And it was pretty good.

:4ness: I remember hating on Ness and Lucas and saying they were lame. But i warmed up to them and one day decided to buy Earthbound on the Eshop. And i got really angry at some really late game boss so i have still not won it but i plan on finishing it soon. But before that boss it was great and when i finally beat EB i will try Mother 3.

Yep i think that is about all but there are still games like Fire emblem and F-Zero that i wanna play but have not gotten around to yet. So i shall play them soon.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
:4ness:/:4lucas:... Where do I begin? After playing these two in Melee and brawl for the first time, I did not like them at ALL. But I looked into their franchise and found the Mother series. I played earthbound (not completely) and Mother 3 (English, Completed), I fell in love with the series since. I encourage Nintendo to, Like what @DarkFoxTeam has stated above, release Mother 3 on the wii U Virtual console. But if possible, maybe remake mother 3 in a non-gba format so both 3ds and wii u can handle it.

Diogo Rivers

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-8141-2154
tbh? :4pit: :4darkpit: :4palutena:. i've never played any kid icarus games, but i played uprising @ a friend's house and really liked it! :3

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Marth/Roy - Since Melee's inclusion, that's how I got interested in playing with the Fire Emblem series.
Pit - Got me into Kid Icarus Uprising.
Shulk - This was based upon the leaked SSBWii U/3DS rumours. Decided to try out Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
When I went into Smash, I only knew of Mario and Pokémon, and there was introduced to Nintendo's large number of franchises.

So, I've tried out Zelda, StarFox, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Earthbound, Donkey Kong, Punch Out, Kirby, Xenoblade and WarioWare because their characters were added. It really expanded my horizons, you could say.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
With the community in midst of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate hype, I received permission from staff to bump this thread.

Since my original post in 2016, I’ve played a few new series I discovered through Super Smash Bros.

Style Savvy: After moving to Tokyo, I turned to fashion as a new hobby. Through the trophies present in Smash 4, I discovered this wonderful 1st party fashion game. I play it almost daily now and love every moment of it.

Famicom Detective Club: While perusing the history of Smash, I discovered this small series. Though limited to the Famicom, I was able to get ahold of the games here in Tokyo. I’ve enjoyed the premise of the games as well as the cast of characters. I’m now on the Ayumi Tachibana badwagon as well!

aarchak

Smash Ace
Literally everyone who wasn't Mario. Picked up Melee long time ago when I was little because I thought it was a Mario game, was introduced to literally everyone else. Melee is the reason I'm a Nintendo fan.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
So far, only :ultbayonetta:, :ultpit:, and :ultolimar:. If we're counting games I've played for less than two hours, then I would add :ultness: and :ultcorrin:. I do hope to get back to EarthBound at some point. Hoping it makes it over to the Switch.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Obvious one being Marth.

Got into that franchise with FE7, the first international release of the franchise. Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector are my homeboys, and I hate that none of them are in Smash.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
:ultroy:

Of course Fire Emblem as others have said, though I haven't played one in a while and have a hard time getting interested in some of the more fanservice-y aspects of the new titles, FE7 remains one of my favourite GBA games.

:ultlucas:

Tried to get into MOTHER 3 but just couldn't, love the writing and overall atmosphere of the games, but the combat system completely ruins the experience for me. Oops.

:ultpit:

Sort of. Played the original Kid Icarus on an emulator before Brawl was a thing but found it pretty meh, so I probably wouldn't have given much thought to Uprising had Pit never joined the Smash crew. (The fact that Uprising likely wouldn't have gotten made aside)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, before the Launch of Sm4sh, back when virtual console was a thing, Nintendo had games on sale every week for the characters who had been announced. It is because of this that I bought a lot of games- some new series, some just new games to a series.
New games in series I'd played; Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Zelda Minish Cap
New games and series I had never truly played: Earthbound, FZero, Wii Fit, Fire Emblem Awakening, Star Fox 64, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus: Uprising
Of course there are a few more, but I don't keep my 3DS or Wii U out anymore.

As for which series did Smash Bros alert me to playing at all? Well, I could say it got me much more interested in majority of the characters.
Without Smash I would never have looked more into Nintendo lore at all- or at least not by age nine. I tend to drift more toward the cartoonish and exaggerated side of gaming- Mario, Pokemon, Kirby. I did know Zelda (though did not get into it by Smash 64), but of which did not know the games.

:4sonic: Before I got SSBB, I was probably the biggest Sonic nerd there was. When I learned about a game where Mario and Sonic actually fought each other was breathtaking at the time. I became ecstatic for the game. Eventually, I got Super Smash Bros. Brawl for my 13th birthday, and to this day, Sonic is one of my mains. I still enjoy playing Sonic games, but, not as much as my 12-year old self.
It was great to see Sonic in Smash for sure! But this doesnt sound like Smash introduced you to the series... or really played a part in your introduction to Sonic at all...

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Snake, Ness, Robin/Lucina, Shulk, Richter, Pit, Samus, and Captain Falcon.

Snake's inclusion made me look through old Nintendo Powers to find articles about the Twin Snakes, which convinced me to get that game. I hadn't played an F-Zero/Earthbound/Metroid game before playing the original Smash Bros., and Xenoblade wasn't exactly an easy game to find.

Pit's inclusion in Brawl led to me getting Of Myths and Monsters, as well as Uprising. The addition of Richter (and me having no idea who he was) inspired me to play through (and 100% complete) Symphony of the Night. As for Robin and Lucina, I had avoided the Fire Emblem series due to the perma-death mechanic, so the fact that Awakening removed it made me more willing to buy that game.

Also, the addition of Duck Hunt (as well as the incorporation of Wiimote controls) made me more willing to consider Duck Hunt when it came out on the Wii U, but I'm not sure if that counts as a series.

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
:ultrobin:ultlucina:Never played fire emblem until I saw robin and lucina. Now I'm addicted to it lol.
:ultmegaman:Started playing the megaman series.
:ultpit:Never even knew who pit was until smash. I liked the kid icarus game.

D

Deleted member

:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultyounglink:: These characters were introduced to me for real through Melee, and I only truly knew them after seeing their trophies. That said, it took me a while to actually play Zelda games, so my first was Twilight Princess.

:ultroy:: I thought Roy was on the cover for Fire Emblem 7 and I actually felt a little betrayed once I found out Eliwood wasn't Roy. lmao I didn't even start liking Fire Emblem much until after Awakening.

:ultfox:: Made me try Star Fox 64. I still have no positive affinity for the franchise and barely for the game.

:ultsamus:: Had me try Super Metroid, and while I like the franchise as a whole, I really full on hate that game. It's a wonder I ever came back.

:ultness:: I wanted to check out Earthbound to see why Ness was even a big enough deal to be in a game like this. Needless to say, that game didn't strike me any favors either.

:ultpit:: Unlike the few ones before, I was excited to try Kid Icarus: Uprising because of this character. And also unlike them, I was in no way disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garbage Cat

Smash Rookie
Marth/Roy, Ness, Zelda, Samus, Ice Climbers, and Villager.

Unsurprisingly, I got into Fire Emblem because of Marth and Roy in Melee. I first got Fire Emblem (GBA) and have grown fond of the series ever since, and since Chrom's inclusion I've been interested in getting Awakening. Similarly with Marth and Roy, I got into Earthbound because of Ness being in Melee (I did play Smash 64 first, but never unlocked Ness) and I really enjoy the series. I loved Mother 1, and Earthbound was a blast for me, but after completing both games three or four times, I don't think I'll return to them for a while.

I completed A Link to the Past just recently, and have fallen in love with the Legend of Zelda as a series because of the characters in Smash (out of all of the LoZ characters in Smash, it was mostly Zelda and Young Link in Ultimate). After beating Link to the Past, I revisited Oracle of Ages and have ordered Majora's Mask 3D from Amazon (honestly, all the speculation in Skull Kid probably got me interested in buying it), and am looking forward to get my hands on Majora's Mask 3D. I also have gotten into Metroid as well probably due to either playing as Samus so much in Smash 4, or seeing how much love it's getting in Ultimate. I completed Metroid just yesterday, and plan to get Super Metroid soon.

Because of the Ice Climbers and Villager being such fun characters, I decided to purchase Ice Climber and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but overall didn't enjoy either game. Ice Climber just isn't too enjoyable of a game for me, but I may return to it again to see if I enjoy it more. I may return to New Leaf again (and, just from writing this, I'm tempted to) though I'd have to play differently than last time. I got too attached to the villagers, so for me the game eventually devolved into a distressing chore where I'd boot up the game every week to try and keep my favorites in my village until my top two villagers left and I became too heartbroken to continue the game again.

On a similar note, Bayonetta (the character has gotten me interested in Bayonetta (the series), and Simon/Richter have me interested in playing Dracula X and Castlevania 4, though I haven't gotten to playing either series yet, and Cloud has me interested in getting into Final Fantasy again.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Characters whose games I’d already played before their Smash inclusions: :ultshulk::ultchrom::ultrobin:ultlucina::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultinkling::ultrosalina::ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultbowser::ultvillager::ultsonic::ultcloud::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff: (Gen 1 Pokémon only) :ultwario: (Platformers only, not WarioWare) :ultmiifighters:

Games I played after being introduced to the characters:

:ultness::ultlucas: - Earthbound, Mother 3
:ultfalcon: - F-Zero GX (found a used copy at GameStop, loved how ludicrously fast it is and (hot take) dope techno beats get that adrenaline flowing. HD port with online when?)
:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit: - got Kid Icarus Uprising. Fun, but it killed my circle pad. I kinda want an HD port for Switch with new play controls for this very reason
:ultcorrin: - I ended up getting Fates anyway sooo
:ultryu: - when I heard Ryu was getting included I purchased Ultra Street Fighter IV on Steam. I enjoy it but I suck, lol. Before that I saw other ppl play SF in arcades as a kid but never played myself

Games I want to play:
:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus: - all Metroid Prime games
:ultwario: - Some WarioWare games, including the recent 3DS one
:ultbayonetta: any
:ultsimon::ultrichter: Any game
:ultsnake: - MGS 1-5 (watched a Twin Snakes LP)
:ultroy::ultike::ultmarth: - the old school FE games (I’m not counting Heroes)
:ultyoshi: - NOT Yoshi’s New Island, that’s for sure...that one track... [shudder]
:ultlittlemac: - Punch Out Wii
:ultmegaman: - anything that’s not X6
:ultolimar: - I guess Pikmin 3
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:- would you believe me if I said I only watched LPs of Donkey Kong Country Returns and part of Tropical Freeze? When I was a kid my dentist had SNESes hooked to CRTs and they had DKC but I didn’t play much of it. I wanna play them in full now
:ultwolf::ultfox::ultfalco: - any game. Yes, even Adventures.

Own but haven’t played:
:ultwiifittrainer: - Wii Fit

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
If it weren't for their Smash appearances, internet praise, and eventual Virtual Console releases, I never would've gotten into Earthbound/Mother. As soon as I finished Earthbound, I went straight online to order a cartridge of the Mother 3 fan translation, which is one of the only games to make me cry. I couldn't get into Earthbound Beginnings, though. Random encounters started to frustrate me too much.

Top Bottom